Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,223 members, 7,818,764 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

Meet Mansa Musa I Of Mali – The Richest Human Being In All History - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Meet Mansa Musa I Of Mali – The Richest Human Being In All History (2978 Views)

Jeff Bezos Is Now The Richest Man In The World With $143B / Meet Mansa Musa Of Mali The Richest Person In History / Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Mansa Musa I Of Mali – The Richest Human Being In All History by makzeze: 10:03pm On Aug 12, 2016
When we think of the world’s all-time richest people, names like Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and John D Rockefeller immediately come to mind.

But few would have thought, or even heard of, Mansa Musa I of Mali – the obscure 14th century African king who was today named the richest person in all history.

With an inflation adjusted fortune of $400 billion, Mansa Musa I would have been considerably richer than the world’s current richest man, Carlos Slim, who ranks in 22nd place with a relatively paltry $68 billion.

The list, compiled by the Celebrity Net Worth website, ranks the world’s 24 richest people of all time. The list advertises itself as the top 25, but 26 names appear in the list.

Although the list spans 1000 years, some aspects of wealth appear consistent throughout history; there are no women on the list, only three members are alive today, and 14 of the top 25 are American.

The list uses the annual 2199.6 per cent rate of inflation to adjust historic fortunes – a formula that means $100 million in 1913 would be equal to £2.299.63 billion today.

Mansa Musa I ruled West Africa’s Malian Empire in the early 1300s, making his fortune by exploiting his country’s salt and gold production. Many mosques he built as a young man still stand today.

After Mansa Musa I death in 1331, however, his heirs were unable to hang on to the fortune, and it was substantially depleted by civil wars and invading armies.

Second on the list are the Rothschild family, whose descendants are still among the richest people on the planet. Starting out in banking in the late 18th Century, Mayer Amschel Rothschild’s finance house accumulated a total wealth of $350 billion. The money has since been divided between hundreds of descendants, many of whom are business leaders today.

Meanwhile John D. Rockefeller, third on the list, is the richest American to have ever lived, worth $340billion in today's USD at the time of his death in 1937.

In comparison, the poorest man on the list is 82-year-old Warren Buffett, who at his peak net worth, before he started giving his fortune to charity, was $64billion.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/world-history/meet-mansa-musa-i-of-mali-the-richest-human-being-in-all-history-8213453.html

Re: Meet Mansa Musa I Of Mali – The Richest Human Being In All History by kossyablaze(m): 10:13pm On Aug 12, 2016
Choi.... Blessing follow me na
Re: Meet Mansa Musa I Of Mali – The Richest Human Being In All History by honestivo(m): 10:53pm On Aug 12, 2016
Soon I will be on that list as one of the richest man alive
Re: Meet Mansa Musa I Of Mali – The Richest Human Being In All History by BJAYADEMOLA(m): 10:53pm On Aug 12, 2016
pick up pick up
Re: Meet Mansa Musa I Of Mali – The Richest Human Being In All History by dnawah(m): 11:06pm On Aug 12, 2016
honestivo:
Soon I will be on that list as one of the richest man alive
if u want 2 to,just sow a seed in someone's life.(a seed that will shake u well well)
Re: Meet Mansa Musa I Of Mali – The Richest Human Being In All History by musicwriter(m): 1:09am On Aug 13, 2016
Below
Re: Meet Mansa Musa I Of Mali – The Richest Human Being In All History by musicwriter(m): 1:11am On Aug 13, 2016
Mansa Musa I is a good example of how great Africa was before our unfortunate contact with Europe. Most part of Africa was ahead of Europe by the time Europeans made contact with us. Unfortunately, Africans have been brainwashed via western education and most of us will find this hard to believe.

Be informed, there were no significant difference between development in Europe and Africa by the 1200-1400 century.

Africans need to know that once upon a time in human history, Africa was the most advanced continent on earth. When the Dutch first arrived Benin kingdom in Nigeria around the 1500 century they were so shocked about the rate of development they saw over here, so much that their expedition leader had to report back to Europe saying ''The town seem to be very great. When you enter into it you go into a great broad street, well paved, which seems to be seven or eight times broader than the Warmoes street in Amsterdam.

The king’s palace is a collection of buildings which occupy as much space as the town of Harlem, and which is enclosed with walls. There are numerous apartments for the Prince’s ministers and fine galleries, most of which are as big as those on the exchange at Amsterdam. They are supported by wooden pillars encased with copper, where their victories are depicted, and which are carefully kept very clean.

The town is composed of thirty main streets, very straight and 120 feet wide, apart from an infinity of small intersecting streets. The houses are close to one another, arranged in good order. These people are in no way inferior to the Dutch. They wash and scrub their houses so well that they are polished and shinning like glass''.
And this scenario wasn't peculiar to Benin Kingdom. The Ashanti king in ancient Ghana kingdom was so rich that his official seat was made of REAL gold. Africa was extremely very prosperous before Europe made contact with us.

As a matter of fact, the British stole a lot of artworks from Oba Ovonramwen palace after they captured the king in late 1800 century. Why would they want to steal a substandard artwork?.

Binis were the first people to develop copper or brass cast artwork, long before Europeans or any of the known world at the time. Their artworks were so superior to Europeans at that time, such that it was and is still a subject of display in museums worldwide. In fact, white people have refused to return artworks stolen from Bini emoire, cause they're so precious.

But everything changed once Europe made contact with us around 1400 AD. We became conquered and were no longer in charge of our destiny. Instead of developing our lands, African natural and human resources were being used to develop Europe. Therefore, we lost steam and were thrown into total darkness as a people for over 400 years!. But, within this 400 years Europe entered the age of technology and industrial revolution, all made possible by exploitation of Africa. Trains were built, cars built, advance in physics, chemistry, biology, e.t.c happened within this period, but sadly Africa was never a part of this technological revolution. Just imagine a situation where a people could not make a single development for 400 years!.

Still, they were not done. Worst of them all is that before leaving they installed a brainwashing education to keep us in perpertual remote control.

5 Likes

Re: Meet Mansa Musa I Of Mali – The Richest Human Being In All History by Lanretoye(m): 2:14am On Aug 13, 2016
how can he be the richest man when dollar was leas than N350.
Re: Meet Mansa Musa I Of Mali – The Richest Human Being In All History by baby124: 2:35am On Aug 13, 2016
Mansa Musa was a fool. Equivalent to our politicians and rappers of today. He impoverished his own people by taking all their gold to go and dash out to look like a big man. I watched a documentary about this and most of his people do not even want to hear his name till date. Till today their economy is still sufferin as a result of Mansa Musa's madness.

2 Likes

Re: Meet Mansa Musa I Of Mali – The Richest Human Being In All History by Osmondinho(m): 3:27am On Aug 13, 2016
Mansa Musa crippled not only the Economy of the Mali Empire but also the Economy's of other Kingdoms especially Egypt following his extravagant pilgrimage to Mecca.

It was said the golds he took and shared on his route brought down the price of gold in the entire region and beyond which caused serious recession at that time.

African leaders stupidity did not start today... This stupidity was part of what caused the collapse of Mali empire later.

#Wastage of Country Resources

1 Like

Re: Meet Mansa Musa I Of Mali – The Richest Human Being In All History by falcon01: 5:57am On Aug 13, 2016
masa waina
Re: Meet Mansa Musa I Of Mali – The Richest Human Being In All History by Zdoh(m): 7:38am On Aug 13, 2016
Maka why?
Re: Meet Mansa Musa I Of Mali – The Richest Human Being In All History by policy12: 7:41am On Aug 13, 2016
Baba God pick my call..

(1) (Reply)

Welcome To The New Ariaria Market / Is Ideasrule.info A Scam / Help! Godaddy Just Withdrew $15.17 From My Gtb Mastercar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.