Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 - Travel (400) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 (673301 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (397) (398) (399) (400) (401) (402) (403) ... (405) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by drthiery(m): 9:52am On Jan 20, 2017
kayuscares4u:
Please I need help. I got an admission from a university in USA for master program without writing any graduate test. Please can I still write the test or if you move further to the next stage

Which University??
Its advisable to still write Either GRE or TOEFL...or Write Both
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Fortissimo502: 9:59am On Jan 20, 2017
slimmy2005:
my monthly tax is $70.
Monthly for real Wow! Here mine is $230 per month. Federal is 186 and state is 44.
Nawa oo.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by kayuscares4u(m): 11:00am On Jan 20, 2017
Northeastern University, I will take GRE before applying for I20

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by eniolagharxe: 11:04am On Jan 20, 2017
GboyegaD:

Na too much money. Perhaps you fit sow am for people wey dey stranded life. It is unfortunate that although many want a good escape route, they do not plan it well for themselves.
Oshey, eeyan Michael Scofield grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by eniolagharxe: 11:07am On Jan 20, 2017
slimmy2005:
Dang! I don't think any exist between Nigeria and the US. Don't worry, you'll get your taxes back.
people don't know that...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 11:12am On Jan 20, 2017
Fortissimo502:

True that! Deep South african american accent probably the trickiest!

Appalachian is worse
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Fortissimo502: 11:21am On Jan 20, 2017
LagosNIV:

Appalachian is worse

Wow you're right. Just checked on YouTube now. I had never heard of the appalachian accent before. Sounds kinda southern too.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jan 20, 2017
Fortissimo502:

Boss someone was saying we shouldn't use turbotax that it's strictly for residents. And that peeps on f1 visas are classified as non-residents and should file Form 1040 NR.

Also heard that although the turbotax filing may be accepted, if at any time the IRS has cause to review one's tax filings (maybe when applying for PR), one will have to pay back the extra. That's because some tax benefits applicable to residents are not available for non residents.

I just dunno o.
You are right. But getting a PR doesn't warrant checking your tax history. A lot of guys that collected the 1098T credit got their green card and infact some are citizens already.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jan 20, 2017
[quote author=hardeorlah post=52965409][/quote]Yes I did. But it's a little tricky filling it if you got funding. I mean if your school fees were paid by Assistantship or scholarship

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jan 20, 2017
Fortissimo502:

Wow you're right. Just checked on YouTube now. I had never heard of the appalachian accent before. Sounds kinda southern too.
That's where I live. Horrible accent, their syllable structure and how the pronounce words too.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jan 20, 2017
Fortissimo502:

Monthly for real Wow! Here mine is $230 per month. Federal is 186 and state is 44.
Nawa oo.
I'm in poor south
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jan 20, 2017
OluDare01:

Everything is complicated.
I need to see the HR when day breaks
guy if you get the mind file with turbotax. If you file with school, you'll only get not more than $80
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by biikeys(m): 6:29pm On Jan 20, 2017
slimmy2005:
guy if you get the mind file with turbotax. If you file with school, you'll only get not more than $80

True, but that's because they don't use 1040NR..so they can claim different tax credits and deductions. For those looking to file (non tax residents), the right way is to file using the 1040NR for which your returns will very likely be around $100 or less. If you use the wrong form,which turbotax uses..you'll get more refund, but you better hope you don't get audited within the statute of limitations. Anybody who cares to read can read up 1040 NR Instructions on IRS website..it's self explanatory-and you can file your tax yourself.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 6:34pm On Jan 20, 2017
biikeys:

True, but that's because they don't use 1040NR..so they can claim different tax credits and deductions. For those looking to file (non tax residents), the right way is to file using the 1040NR for which your returns will very likely be around $100 or less. If you use the wrong form,which turbotax uses..you'll get more refund, but you better hope you don't get audited within the statute of limitations. Anybody who cares to read can read up 1040 NR Instructions on IRS website..it's self explanatory-and you can file your tax yourself.
what of 1098T?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by amanze15(m): 7:13pm On Jan 20, 2017
GboyegaD:

Anyone in such a place will learn to take vitamin D supplements.
proper blend it and drink as smoothie
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by amanze15(m): 7:23pm On Jan 20, 2017
GboyegaD:

SirRiddy and Femi321,
Go to your International Student Office or use a Nigerian accounting firm. They will ask for your tuition payment confirmation which you download from your student account. It qualifies for the rebate. Lastly, do not use H&R blocks. They know nothing about International Students and what applies to us.
1098T is for everyone regardless of where they from. some schools email it out as soon as the turn of the year
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by amanze15(m): 7:26pm On Jan 20, 2017
biikeys:

and submit the 1040NR to? after my friend got a bill of 1k from IRS for wrongful filling, na him i melo grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by amanze15(m): 7:27pm On Jan 20, 2017
Tax Form 1040NR is also known as U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return. This tax form is similar to the regular 1040 form used by United States citizens. That being said, there are some importance differences that you need to be aware of if you are required to file this particular tax form.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by biikeys(m): 7:43pm On Jan 20, 2017
amanze15:
and submit the 1040NR to? after my friend got a bill of 1k from IRS for wrongful filling, na him i melo grin
Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Austin, TX 73301-0215
USA

If you are not claiming any dependents (e.g. spouse,children), you can also use 1040NR-EZ.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by biikeys(m): 7:47pm On Jan 20, 2017
OluDare01:

what of 1098T?

Normally...and legally, you're not supposed to use the 1098T sent from your school to claim education credit. I know some people do...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by amanze15(m): 7:49pm On Jan 20, 2017
Table A. Who Must File Form 1040NR
You must file Form 1040NR if any of the following conditions apply to you.
1. You were a nonresident alien engaged in a trade or business in the United States during 2016. You must file even if:
a. You have no income from a trade or business conducted in the United States,
[b]b. You have no U.S. source income, o[/b]r
c. Your income is exempt from U.S. tax under a tax treaty or any section of the Internal Revenue Code

the question is now if you did get an income?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by amanze15(m): 7:50pm On Jan 20, 2017
biikeys:

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Austin, TX 73301-0215
USA

If you are not claiming any dependents (e.g. spouse,children), you can also use 1040NR-EZ.
so no ground should Non-residents submit electronically?!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by biikeys(m): 8:10pm On Jan 20, 2017
amanze15:
so no ground should Non-residents submit electronically?!

Generally, you can't/shouldn't.. at least for federal tax returns.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jan 20, 2017
o ga o
All these their laws sef...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by amanze15(m): 8:48pm On Jan 20, 2017
biikeys:

Generally, you can't/shouldn't.. at least for federal tax returns.
okay
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by carlcar2012(f): 8:52pm On Jan 20, 2017
aadeyi:

Are you in houston too?
Not yet. By may God willing
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by amanze15(m): 9:25pm On Jan 20, 2017
Can international students who received a 1098-T form claim a deduction ?

For most alien individuals present in the U.S. on an F-1 Student Visa, the answer is no. Generally speaking, the time spent by an alien individual studying in the U.S. on an F-1 Student Visa would not count toward determining whether he or she was a resident alien under the substantial presence test for federal tax purposes. Thus, if you are an alien individual with an F-1 Student Visa, you are probably a nonresident alien.

cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by iekene(m): 9:43pm On Jan 20, 2017
Is this "student visa enquiries" or "Tax enquiries" thread ?? Someone pls remind me ?? angry angry angry
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by meritdee(m): 9:46pm On Jan 20, 2017
slimmy2005:
my monthly tax is $70.

This Slimmy... My monthly tax here is about $270.. I hate calculating it lol. Islike I will relocate o.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by poshestaunt: 9:53pm On Jan 20, 2017
Hi all. Is there anyone in Birmingham Alabama or that area? Please holla. I could use some new friends. bless.xx
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jan 20, 2017
amanze15:
Can international students who received a 1098-T form claim a deduction ?

For most alien individuals present in the U.S. on an F-1 Student Visa, the answer is no. Generally speaking, the time spent by an alien individual studying in the U.S. on an F-1 Student Visa would not count toward determining whether he or she was a resident alien under the substantial presence test for federal tax purposes. Thus, if you are an alien individual with an F-1 Student Visa, you are probably a nonresident alien.

cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
You are not permitted to claim it. But anyway we just edit it to suit the system. I've gotten it before as well. If they say I should return it. I will return it grin but for now I am filling that damn thing

(1) (2) (3) ... (397) (398) (399) (400) (401) (402) (403) ... (405)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.