Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,612 members, 7,820,178 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:57 AM

I'm At A Cross Road - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I'm At A Cross Road (798 Views)

Help! I'm In A Career Cross Road And Dilemma / I Recently Lost My High Paying Job And I'm At A Crossroads On What To Do Next (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm At A Cross Road by datigboguy(m): 1:30pm On Aug 13, 2016
Please I need advice on what step to take

I'm a salesman and my present job gives me plenty time. I met dis man early last month at my place of work,he was impressed with my service and gave me his card to call him. I called him early this week and we agreed to meet at his office, and I went to meet him.
I discovered that he is a major importer of wines cause I saw consignment(goods) in a large portion of his office space,and he threw d biggest question. His question is if I would like to occupy d position of sales manager.. He didn't talk about money, he just said I shud come back with my cv on Monday and think about d offer if I can handle d position.... My current job pays 80k + incentives and I work 2weeks in a month..
Re: I'm At A Cross Road by shupy: 5:41pm On Aug 13, 2016
If there's going to be about 50% increase in your salary take the new job but you should also take factors that are important to you into consideration. You won't be working 2 weeks in a month. Give the man your c.v and see what he has to offer. 2 weeks for 80k is better than 4 weeks for 100k
Re: I'm At A Cross Road by peterjero(m): 12:44am On Aug 14, 2016
I'm a salesman too, but the ultimate question would be can you sell WI e better than your current product you sell. What we salesmen enjoy is time and job hopping, even with our advantage of always getting jobs in this hard time, be mindful of the product you intend to sell I just left the publishing industry which almost made me a debtor.
Re: I'm At A Cross Road by datigboguy(m): 12:08pm On Aug 14, 2016
Thanks for d response so far.. I have drafted my agenda,I wud give him my cv and weigh his offer.. But my greatest fear is dat 1man business is very risky, owing of salary, loss of job if business isn't moving as expected.. All the same I would weigh d offer
Re: I'm At A Cross Road by peterjero(m): 12:12pm On Aug 14, 2016
Weigh the offer seriously, sales representative is sweet but when the bitter part starts, you might need a congregation of pastors to pray for you when things you didn't bargain for starts to happen.
Re: I'm At A Cross Road by BobUg28(m): 3:47pm On Aug 14, 2016
Chap, it's good as you brought this to where people with like minds would help you. I'm a salesperson too, I work under the aegis a retail based businessman who own a chain of grocery stores...so at such I have got different proposals from different customers urging me to leave my work to work for them promising to pay me at my own term. But in all, I discard all of them on the basis of the fact that the person I'm working with/for is a rare breed of some sort.

Although what I'm earning isn't something I can hold on to for long, I can't leave him for someone else no matter the amount of money anyone promises me. They are some kinds of business skills he's teaching us which I doubt I could learn in any other place and of course that's what would aid my business whenever I feels like to start mine.

My advice is that you should weigh the offer very well and ask yourself some few relevant questions;

1...Within that place you (currently) work, what level of people are you privileged to see, talk to and get their contacts? will it be the same if you change from there to the new place?

2...Your salary, can it worth the troubles you will be facing?..even most times, money is not everything. It's all about the usual mutual boss-steward's relationship that matters.

3...Time factor, will your new job give you that same time you have in your current job to run for your extra curricular activities which I supposed you are making some cool extra cash with?

4...Your Boss, is he someone who loves to see young business aspirants grow and is he someone who brings out the untapped potential in you?

Make sure you do the necessary investigations before making your final decision cos if you loose this your current job and you don't find the latter interesting, you might live to regret the choice you make for a while.

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: I'm At A Cross Road by BobUg28(m): 4:23pm On Aug 14, 2016
Mods, this would make sense if it gets to the front page.
Re: I'm At A Cross Road by datigboguy(m): 2:02pm On Aug 15, 2016
BobUg28:
Chap, it's good as you brought this to where people with like minds would help you. I'm a salesperson too, I work under the aegis a retail based businessman who own a chain of grocery stores...so at such I have got different proposals from different customers urging me to leave my work to work for them promising to pay me at my own term. But in all, I discard all of them on the basis of the fact that the person I'm working with/for is a rare breed of some sort.
Although what I'm earning isn't something I can hold on to for long, I can't leave him for someone else no matter the amount of money anyone promises me. They are some kinds of business skills he's teaching us which I doubt I could learn in any other place and of course that's what would aid my business whenever I feels like to start mine.
My advice is that you should weigh the offer very well and ask yourself some few relevant questions;
1...Within that place you (currently) work, what level of people are you privileged to see, talk to and get their contacts? will it be the same if you change from there to the new place?
2...Your salary, can it worth the troubles you will be facing?..even most times, money is not everything. It's all about the usual mutual boss-steward's relationship that matters.
3...Time factor, will your new job give you that same time you have in your current job to run for your extra curricular activities which I supposed you are making some cool extra cash with?
4...Your Boss, is he someone who loves to see young business aspirants grow and is he someone who brings out the untapped potential in you?

Make sure you do the necessary investigations before making your final decision cos if you loose this your current job and you don't find the latter interesting, you might live to regret the choice you make for a while.
Cheers!

Thanks broda.. Infact I've weighed all options, chances of me picking d job is 25%..

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Diploma In Desktop Publishing & Graphics in Ikeja Lagos / Tired Of Been Embarassed By Your Website? Get The SPECTACULAR WEB DESIGN / Someone Should Please Teach Me SpSs, Eviews And Stata In Ikorodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.