Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,194 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:05 AM

Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 (113296 Views)

Nigeria Vs Croatia: World Cup - 0 - 2 On 16th June 2018 / Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Denmark 2 - 0 (Full Time) / Nigeria Vs Japan: RIO 2016 Olympics 5 - 4 On 5th August 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by ginajet(f): 1:37pm On Aug 17, 2016
Dream team I believe in you guys..... Keep the Nigeria flag flying high in Brazil
Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by robosky02(m): 3:02pm On Aug 17, 2016
Coach Samson Siasia’s team are now one of the last remaining hopes for Nigeria to medal at the Rio Olympics after the country’s medal hopes have already been dashed in athletics, boxing and table tennis.

Four years ago in London, Nigeria were not represented in the football event and the country returned home without a medal.

The several challenges Siasia’s team have encountered are well documented, but by far their biggest hurdle will be a rampant Germany, who put four unreplied goals past a highly-rated Portugal in the quarterfinal.

Germany’s best showing at the games was achieved in 1988, when they won bronze.

But in Bayer Leverkusen winger Julian Brandt they have a match winner, who already wrecked Nigeria at last year’s FIFA U20 World Cup in New Zealand.

The Germany No 11 may not have got on the scoresheet in Brazil yet, but he has provided seven assists as his team march towards Saturday’s Gold medal match.

Germany have scored 19 goals in Brazil with Arsenal striker Serge Gnabry notching six goals.

It is such an offensive machine that will be up against a Nigeria defence that have shown remarkable improvements amid concerns about how solid they are.

It was a highly disciplined defending by the African champions in the quarterfinal against Denmark and this was crowned with their second clean sheet of the competition.

However, they will be without defensive midfielder Azubuike Okechukwu, who is suspended for tonight’s game after he picked up his second booking against Denmark.

The team’s leading scorer Oghenekaro Etebo with four goals has not been able to shake off a hamstring injury he suffered against Colombia and he will therefore miss his second straight game.

But Turkey-based Umar Aminu is a capable replacement as he proved by scoring one of the goals in the quarterfinal.

With the various shortcomings in the other sports in Rio, the pressure is most certainly on this team to deliver tonight.

Kick-off time is 8pm inside the Arena Corinthians in Sao Paulo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by robosky02(m): 3:37pm On Aug 17, 2016
Mikel Speaks to FIFA:
The quality has been amazing:

Mikel John Obi’s list of professional honours reads like something we all responded with when we were asked, “what do you want to be when you grow up?” when we were in primary school: A Premier League champion, a UEFA Champions League winner, a four-time FA Cup winner and a CAF Africa Cup of Nations champion. However, the list is not complete yet.

At Rio 2016, Mikel is embarking on an entirely different challenge: to lead Nigeria’s ‘Dream Team VI’ to its second Olympic Men’s Football Tournament gold medal. And as he told FIFA.com in an exclusive interview, the quality of the Rio 2016 tournament has been “amazing” and akin to the Champions League.

Ahead of Nigeria’s semi-final clash with Germany, Mikel talks about their successful campaign so far, his leadership on the team and writing a new chapter in Nigeria’s history in the tournament.

FIFA.com: Congratulations on making the semi-finals. In your opinion, why has this team worked so well?
Mikel John Obi: Sheer determination, effort, togetherness and unity in the team. It’s been absolutely amazing. Also the team is built to play offensive football and to express ourselves and make sure we create chances and score goals. I think it’s hunger and willingness to help each other on the pitch, to run for each other. We know exactly what to do when we play. I think that’s very important and that’s exactly what’s got us here.

FIFA: How have you found the Olympic experience so far, compared with the many experiences in your career?
It’s been absolutely amazing. It’s been an experience that has reminded me of when I started playing with the U-17s and U-20s. I’ve enjoyed my time here and the experience has been very good. Playing with these guys, they’re great players. The energy, power and pace they bring to the game is just different. I’m very happy to be in this team and to be a part of this great experience.

FIFA: In terms of your position on the pitch, you’re taking up a more attacking midfield role than you’ve been accustomed to at club level. Are you enjoying that role?
I grew up playing in a more offensive position, but what’s happened has happened. I’ve been playing holding midfield for 11 years now. But every time I come back to the national team, I play more offensively. I always try and make sure I make the team play and create chances. I enjoy it. It’s great to play in that position again.

It’s surprised me a lot. The quality is amazing. It’s like playing in the Champions League. One mistake and it’s a goal, trust me.

Nigeria captain John Obi Mikel

FIFA: What have you enjoyed most about being a captain? What are you passing on to these young players?
Experience. I’m giving them a bit more knowledge that they’ll need in these kinds of games, because these have been high quality games. These guys look up a lot to me a lot, so I have to lead by example. I try to make sure I run as much as I can, so they will see that and run as much as they can! You have to lead by example. As long as I keep doing that and as long as we keep winning, for me the team is important. Individual performances are good, but as long as the team is playing well and winning, I’m very happy with that.

FIFA: Has the quality of the games surprised you?
It’s surprised me a lot. The quality is amazing. It’s like playing in the Champions League. One mistake and it’s a goal, trust me. It’s been like that. Our defence has been solid, so let’s hope we keep going that way. The less we concede, I think we can create chances and hurt teams. We’ve shown that in this tournament. If we don’t concede, I’m sure we can score goals.

FIFA:What would it mean to you to play for the gold medal at the Maracana?
One step at a time (laughs). To be honest, I haven’t thought about it yet. I don’t see past Wednesday. The Germans are a very good side, so we have to make sure we do our job. With this team, we don’t concentrate much on what the other teams do. We concentrate more on what we can give and offer on that day. The game before is gone. It’s about what we can produce at that time and in those 90 minutes or however long we’re going to play for. We always try to concentrate on that, and I think we’ve done that so far, so I don’t think we’re going to change.

FIFA: You’ve won the UEFA Champions Leagues, two Premier Leagues, four FA Cups and the Africa Cup of Nations. What would an Olympic gold medal mean to you and to Nigeria?
It’s going to mean a lot. It’s going to mean the world to me. It’s going to be the icing on the cake. As much as anyone, I want to win. This is what it means to me no matter what I’ve won. I think winning with this team is going to be amazing. I’m hoping and praying for that.

http://www.fifa.com/mensolympic/news/y=2016/m=8/news=mikel-the-quality-has-been-amazing-2822408.html?intcmp=fifacom_hp_module_news

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by robosky02(m): 3:48pm On Aug 17, 2016
The semi Finals is here

the stars to watch are

Neymar (Breazil), Alberth Elis (Honduras), John Obi Mikel (Nigeria) and Julian Brandt (Germany)

lets go there...

Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by Otimkpu440: 4:23pm On Aug 17, 2016
grin Anyone know if the game will be on AIT?
Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by Pavarotti: 4:26pm On Aug 17, 2016
Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by abimbawealth(f): 4:27pm On Aug 17, 2016
Leggo!!!
Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by Elihu82: 4:31pm On Aug 17, 2016
we go win by God's grace.
Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by prinsam30: 4:31pm On Aug 17, 2016
Otimkpu440:
grin Anyone know if the game will be on AIT?

local channel? yes it will
Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by mfujah(m): 4:34pm On Aug 17, 2016
German machine..... 9ja hummer hope they
Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by obitwice(m): 4:42pm On Aug 17, 2016
Guys please believe me, I believe Nigeria will win this match by 4 goals. Saw it last night!

1 Like

Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by krystiankachi(m): 5:00pm On Aug 17, 2016
obitwice:
Guys please believe me, I believe Nigeria will win this match by 4 goals. Saw it last night!
what exactly did you see and how'd you see it mate?

1 Like

Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by krystiankachi(m): 5:02pm On Aug 17, 2016
Serge Gnabry will ruin us. I can feel it
Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by haibe(m): 5:16pm On Aug 17, 2016
Chai Neymar scored after 14 seconds into the game. Brazil lead Honduras
Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by Acme77: 5:19pm On Aug 17, 2016
Nigeria 2 Germany 0
Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by Smellingmouth: 5:28pm On Aug 17, 2016
Leggo Eagles!!!
Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by juniior(m): 5:34pm On Aug 17, 2016
chiboy7:
Yessss finally I made it after many years......... I dedicate this FTC to my future wife and unborn child. Your husband and Dad is working hard to be the best Husband and Dad.

To topic:
Naija go for GOLD. Yes yes yes yes we can do it.
grin
Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by chucky101(m): 5:35pm On Aug 17, 2016
I would be surprised if we win this match. Siasia's teams and their weaknesses are not hard to decipher. I hope Nigeria wins. Up Eagles!
Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by dammywapes(m): 5:37pm On Aug 17, 2016
f nigeria sood get over d jermans, dey can't lose 2 brasil
Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by Juicysam(m): 5:49pm On Aug 17, 2016
It's gonna be a tough one.. The German squad is scary.. Most of them play in the Bundesliga
Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by emekz1: 5:55pm On Aug 17, 2016
Naija all the way

Go 4 GOLD EAGLES
Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by Nobody: 6:02pm On Aug 17, 2016
This is to the "Delta state environmental protection agency" in particular and all other related bodies. Please for the sake of the generation yet unborn, lands owners and investors or would be investor(s) in the twin towns of ORUWHORUN and ARAGBA in Udu LGA of delta state, We call on all relevant authorities to check the activities of sand dredgers, whose operations are causing serious havoc and untold environmental hardship to residents and visitors alike. A visit to some of their numerous sites in the company of my business partners while searching for lands to locate/site our factory leaves everyone in the team/entourage awed and speechless, seeing the vast level of wanton destruction and environmental degradation perpetuated by just some few elements who are supposed to be sons of the soil and their collaborators.
An on-the-site findings reveals that they (dredgers) neither carried out any form of Enviromental Impact Assesment EIA nor care about the effect of their activities on the surrounding houses, some of which are at the verge of collapsing. Also none of them (dredging operator or businessmen) have any form of landed property or investment within the vicinity of their nefarious operation.
As a Nigerian and a deltan, I believe it is everyone's responsibility to watch out for our neighbors, neighborhood and the Enviroment. Hence my using this wonderful forum. I promised some of the residents I spoke with that I will revisit the sites and also help them pass their plea to the relevant authorities through wherever legal means possible. Please Nairalander help repost this until justice is done. Thanks
Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by Cunninlinguist: 6:04pm On Aug 17, 2016
Brazil are trashing Honduras 3:0 and it's just half time embarassed
Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by kan12(m): 6:06pm On Aug 17, 2016
chiboy7:
Yessss finally I made it after many years......... I dedicate this FTC to my future wife and unborn child. Your husband and Dad is working hard to be the best Husband and Dad.

To topic:

gold circle: go for gold

1 Like

Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by Nobody: 6:26pm On Aug 17, 2016
naija eagles dey play today.... i no even know
Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by Nobody: 6:28pm On Aug 17, 2016
chiboy7:

To topic:

e reach like that

1 Like

Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by Nobody: 6:30pm On Aug 17, 2016
Brazil is destroying Honduras 4-0.

They are yet to concede in this tournament.
Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by molydonhenry(m): 6:32pm On Aug 17, 2016
Cunninlinguist:
Brazil are trashing Honduras 3:0 and it's just half time embarassed
These brazil's neymar and gabriel are ready for any team, whether Germany or Nigeria. my God see match!
Re: Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 by Nobody: 6:38pm On Aug 17, 2016
Brazil 5-0

This is massacre. So unselfish of the winger. If Simon had passed most of the chances that came his way against Denmark, Nigeria would have won by at least 4-0.

I hope Nigeria show courage and team work against Germany.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Mali (AFCON 2013) - (4 - 1) On 6th February 2013 / France Vs Argentina: World Cup (4 - 3) On 30th June 2018 / Olympics Women's Beach Volley Ball (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.