Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,772 members, 7,837,800 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 10:57 AM

Must A Christian Be Circumcised? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Must A Christian Be Circumcised? (729 Views)

Should A Man Who Is A Born-Again Christian Be A Gynaecologist? / When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? / Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must A Christian Be Circumcised? by costandi(m): 10:41am On Aug 14, 2016
I've heard a lot of people say that Christians must be circumcised in order to count with God. Whereas others think otherwise.

Well I think otherwise with reference to 1 Corinthians 7:19.

Lemme know what you think.
Re: Must A Christian Be Circumcised? by shadeyinka(m): 8:34am On Nov 29, 2017
No.
Timothy was probably moy circumcised

His Father was greek
Re: Must A Christian Be Circumcised? by smoy: 12:39pm On Nov 29, 2017
costandi:
I've heard a lot of people say that Christians must be circumcised in order to count with God. Whereas others think otherwise.

Well I think otherwise with reference to 1 Corinthians 7:19.

Lemme know what you think.
if you believe you are Christ-like not Paul-like you must be circumcised.
Re: Must A Christian Be Circumcised? by joshnes(m): 1:49pm On Nov 29, 2017
smoy:
if you believe you are Christ-like not Paul-like you must be circumcised.
Any Biblical Proofs Sir?
Re: Must A Christian Be Circumcised? by smoy: 3:03pm On Nov 29, 2017
joshnes:
Any Biblical Proofs Sir?
you know Jesus said he did not come to destroy the law and that was why at the 8th day of Jesus he was circumcised.

Genesis 17;10 This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.
11 And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you.
12 And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed.
13 He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised: and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant.
14 And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant.
Re: Must A Christian Be Circumcised? by joshnes(m): 3:30pm On Nov 29, 2017
smoy This issue is of circumcision is not even an issue. I believe that any issue that pertains to the old testament that has been treated in a different light in the new testament by Jesus or His disciples, the old should be discarded. In Acts 10, we see the Holy Ghost falling on gentiles for the first time to the bemusement of the jews. If God Himself does not regard circumcision or not before pouring out His Spirit, who are we to enforce it on anyone. Apostle Peter called circumcision a yoke (Acts 15:7-11) when there was a dispute on circumcision. In that same chapter (vs 29) they told the new christians what to abstain from or do, and circumcision was no where on the list. Am I saying it should be done away with? no. I agree children should be circumsised if not for anything for the medical benefits. But being circumcised or not does not change your standing with God, therefore it is not a must for a christian (Acts 15).
Re: Must A Christian Be Circumcised? by joshnes(m): 3:34pm On Nov 29, 2017
shadeyinka:
No. Timothy was probably moy circumcised
His Father was greek
Paul actually circumcised Timothy. (Acts 16:3).
Re: Must A Christian Be Circumcised? by ponziponzi(m): 3:41pm On Nov 29, 2017
joshnes:
smoy This issue is of circumcision is not even an issue. I believe that any issue that pertains to the old testament that has been treated in a different light in the new testament by Jesus or His disciples, the old should be discarded. In Acts 10, we see the Holy Ghost falling on gentiles for the first time to the bemusement of the jews. If God Himself does not regard circumcision or not before pouring out His Spirit, who are we to enforce it on anyone. Apostle Peter called circumcision a yoke (Acts 15:7-11) when there was a dispute on circumcision. In that same chapter (vs 29) they told the new christians what to abstain from or do, and circumcision was no where on the list. Am I saying it should be done away with? no. I agree children should be circumsised if not for anything for the medical benefits. But being circumcised or not does not change your standing with God, therefore it is not a must for a christian (Acts 15).
So? Jesus attended passover too, do you attend Passover? You should understand that the description of something doesn’t make it is a prescription.
Re: Must A Christian Be Circumcised? by joshnes(m): 3:47pm On Nov 29, 2017
ponziponzi:

So? Jesus attended passover too, do you attend Passover? You should understand that the description of something doesn’t make it is a prescription.
Did Jesus treat the passover in a different light from the old testament sir? Your reference is like a basket sir, it holds no water.
Re: Must A Christian Be Circumcised? by ponziponzi(m): 3:53pm On Nov 29, 2017
joshnes:
Did Jesus treat the passover in a different light from the old testament sir? Your reference is like a basket sir, it holds no water.
My point is, there are many things in the Old Testament that we as Christians don’t do. The fact that Jesus did something is not a prescription for the Christians to do.
Re: Must A Christian Be Circumcised? by joshnes(m): 4:05pm On Nov 29, 2017
ponziponzi:

My point is, there are many things in the Old Testament that we as Christians don’t do. The fact that Jesus did something is not a prescription for the Christians to do.
I never said that it should. What I meant is where there arise a conflict between the Old and New Testaments concerning any issue, the New Testament supercedes the Old. Hence my reference to Jesus and the disciples. For example Jesus treated the issue of divorce differently from the mosaic law and we now adhere to His teaching instead of that of the law. Jesus did not teach on circumcision, but the disciples deliberated on it, hence my stand on circumcision. So out with the Old in with the New.
Re: Must A Christian Be Circumcised? by smoy: 4:11pm On Nov 29, 2017
joshnes:
on medical benefit i totally agreed with you and on the spiritual level it was a command to Abraham the father of faith to circumcise and a warning that if don't you shall be cut away from God and the affirmation of this by Jesus was that Jesus was circumcised, but the problem was that self apostle of Jesus called Paul he preaches contrary to the teaching of the mater, Jesus. circumcision is a must.
Re: Must A Christian Be Circumcised? by ponziponzi(m): 4:15pm On Nov 29, 2017
smoy:
on medical benefit i totally agreed with you and on the spiritual level it was a command to Abraham the father of faith to circumcise and a warning that if don't you shall be cut away from God and the affirmation of this by Jesus was that Jesus was circumcised, but the problem was that self apostle of Jesus called Paul he preaches contrary to the teaching of the mater, Jesus. circumcision is a must.

Okay. I'm sorry, I misunderstood your point.

Thanks
Re: Must A Christian Be Circumcised? by smoy: 4:28pm On Nov 29, 2017
ponziponzi:

Okay. I'm sorry, I misunderstood your point.

Thanks
you are well come brother
Re: Must A Christian Be Circumcised? by joshnes(m): 4:29pm On Nov 29, 2017
smoy:
Sir, did you read the scriptures (Acts 10 & 15) I referenced? Paul had no say there. In fact, the said Paul you say is against circumcision, circumcised Timothy ( Acts 16:3).

(1) (Reply)

Our Daily Manna For Today 25/8/2016 / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome Healed My Relative Instantly - Benny Hinn / 12 Powerful Laws Of Karma That Should Guide You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.