Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,476 members, 7,843,456 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 05:32 AM

Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics (35539 Views)

Efe Ajagba Knocks Nigel Paul Out In Round One in 23 Seconds At RIO Olympics / katsuyatakasu, A Japanese To Reward Nigerian Players At Rio Olympics (picture) / Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by oluwasegun007(m): 10:08pm On Aug 14, 2016
She should not be celebrated for coming as second,

but she should be celebrated for identifying with Nigeria...

If na me eehhh.....no way
Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by temmytee2309: 10:23pm On Aug 14, 2016
Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by Onegai(f): 10:23pm On Aug 14, 2016
Strangely, Nigerians brought up abroad feel patriotic. Until they relocate back to Nigeria. grin

Her rankings have gone up. Which means it's left to her and Nigerian Rowing Federation to compete in the African Games, International rowing competitions and more. This gives her more experience and improves her rankings. Which means in the next Olympics, she will qualify for Rowing much easier. She only qualified this year because the IOC is trying to give as many spots as possible to athletes from less successful countries. In every event, after the top seeded athletes qualify, next is good performers. Followed by the host country and some less performing nations.
It's like how our Football ranking fluctuates depending on if we do well in Africa. Stronger teams are put beside weaker teams so they "thin the herd", though surprises happen. Which is why we don't get easy group matches

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by tiedee: 10:23pm On Aug 14, 2016
Pseudonymous:

A lot of people are still doing well in this country! Did the country give "anything" to them?

Bro, Work hard and pray God blesses your hustle
You are not getting the point. Don't be blind to realities. For your information, am comfortable.

3 Likes

Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by mikron(m): 10:24pm On Aug 14, 2016
tiedee:
Sometimes I wonder how a Nigerian born and bred abroad,feels Nigerian. With all this hardships, I will deny nigeria in an heartbeat. What has my country done for me shocked
thats why u will remain where u re, the question should be what have u done for ur country and not the other way round.
Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by derahhh(m): 10:25pm On Aug 14, 2016
CaptEColeJnr:
No medal Baba.. It's just a competition for rankings.. She finished in the C/D category during the quarter-finals

and its not flying eagles....its Dream Team..
Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by tiedee: 10:26pm On Aug 14, 2016
mikron:
thats why u will remain where u re, the question should be what have u done for ur country and not the other way round.
Smh shocked when you start your hustle, that's when you will know that everything is fundamentally wrong with nigeria. Don't be blind to realities. Guess you still a student. And please where am i?

4 Likes

Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by Realhommie(m): 10:34pm On Aug 14, 2016
osesology:
Wow! Finally a medal for Nigeria! In Nas' voice `it's been a long time coming'. Our flag is going to be raised for once.

Still patiently waiting for the flying eagles to bring home the gold undecided
Chief, e clear say you no peruse the piece at all oooooo... Hehehehehehe

1 Like

Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by bilazego(m): 10:35pm On Aug 14, 2016
ghostmist:
A second place finish qualifies for silver na...

this one wey we manage win... they're now saying no Medal. Is it that the medal is finished or something....?
someone should please explain this.
?

Bros sorry o, they say medals don finish and blacksmith are on strike.
Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by temmytee2309: 10:36pm On Aug 14, 2016
Na waoo, 2nd position and no medal? For wetin na
Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by excel101(m): 10:39pm On Aug 14, 2016
I am surprised that the rowing association did not know that there's no meat attached to the event @ the Olympic. Maybe they were expecting a cheap medal they never worked for.
Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by Ddy(m): 10:48pm On Aug 14, 2016
Pseudonymous:

The question should be; What have you done for your country?

Don't be a dumb ass to ask such question. Does this country give us opportunity to do something for her? What have the country offer u and what have it given u opportunity to offer her.Is like u eat from ur anus.Just one simple question.... can u die for Nigeria?

5 Likes

Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by otswag(m): 11:00pm On Aug 14, 2016
tiedee:
Sometimes I wonder how a Nigerian born and bred abroad,feels Nigerian. With all this hardships, I will deny nigeria in an heartbeat. What has my country done for me shocked
since she has dual citizenship, registering under nigeria was d easiest way to participate in d olympics. She would have had to compète with alot of Great rowers just to win a spot with team USA. Though naija did virtually nothing to help with her préparation, It was a smart decision for her

1 Like

Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by mikron(m): 11:02pm On Aug 14, 2016
tiedee:

Smh shocked when you start your hustle, that's when you will know that everything is fundamentally wrong with nigeria. Don't be blind to realities. Guess you still a student. And please where am i?
im done with school for now, i work. and i contribute my little quota to the nations economy wink

2 Likes

Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by Nobody: 11:12pm On Aug 14, 2016
tiedee:
ur country might have not done anything for u but one day, it will do for ur children.......
Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by petertaiwo22: 11:14pm On Aug 14, 2016
tiedee:
what have you done for your country?
Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by Nobody: 11:21pm On Aug 14, 2016
tiedee:
a good citizen asks what can I do for my country.
Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by jabel: 11:22pm On Aug 14, 2016
dats d Nigerian spirit we know d leaders have failed us but ds my beloved country love her die cari go nigeria we hail dee
Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by Blacksodje(m): 11:23pm On Aug 14, 2016
*UPDATE Chierika finished second in the Final D of the Women Single Sculls, and final standing of 20th in the Olympics. Her remarkable journey is nothing short of inspiration to all.
Final competition table is:
Final Standing
Rowers from Autralia, USA and China won Gold, Silver and Bronze of the competition respectively.
Chierika Ukogu, Coco finished 4th in SemiFinal C/D with total time of 8:18.550 and successfully made it to final. She will be competing in Final D of women’s Single Sculls Rowing event on Saturday, August 13 – which not a medal contention group, but for Ranking. Coco will be in lane 4, now likely to be in top two ranked African women in the Sport alongside Zimbabwe’s Micheen Thornycroft.
Chierika Ukogu made history as the first Nigerian athlete to compete for the Rowing event at the Olympic games.
She was born in Pennsylvania, USA on October 2, 1992 after her parents migrated from Nigeria. She is a graduate of Stanford University, studied pre-med and rowed for Stanford’s women’s crew team till her graduation in 2014. She has been accepted into Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York City. This plans to continue schooling after the Olympic games.
Some analysts have said she single-handedly created Nigeria’s rowing team, this is not far from truth. Considering the cost of equipment is quite steep – around N4.8 million by today’s naira.
She stated that her ultimate goal is to represent Nigeria at the Olympics, which at 23 years has now been achieved.
Due to a lack of infrastructure, Chierika not only had to be selected for the team for Rio 2016 but also had to fund herself. She started a
in 2015 and successfully raised $15,000 to get herself equipped and transported to Rio, Brazil.
gofundme campaign
She wrote this about herself:
My name is Chierika, Coco to many, Ukogu and I have been selected to represent Nigeria in the Women’s Single Scull event. It is my ultimate goal to be the 1st Nigerian to row at the Olympic Games.
I am currently training for 30 hours/week with the top athletes in the Philadelphia area under coaches at Vesper Boat Club and Conshohocken Rowing Club, while conducting women’s health research at the University of Pennsylvania.
I will compete at the World Rowing Championships in Aiguebelette, France on Aug 30-Sept 6 and 2016 African Olympic Qualification Regatta in Tunis, Tunisia on Oct 5-7th in hopes of qualifying for Games.
I am not receiving any financial support from the Nigerian Rowing Federation, so my dream relies on your generousity! Money raised will go towards travel costs, entry fees, uniforms, boats, and anything needed to make the Olympics a reality! Please join me on my quest to make history in Rio.
My rowing career began in 2006 at Mount Saint Joseph Academy, and I was hooked as soon as I took my first stroke. Following high school, I attended Stanford University and competed at the D1 level while completing pre-med coursework. After graduating in 2014, I put medical school on hold to dedicate my time to training.
I am honored to have the chance to represent Nigeria in the 2016 Olympic Games. I have always felt strong ties to Nigeria as the daughter of Nigerian immigrants. In 2007, I founded a non-profit organization called Flip Flops for Africa and donated 10,000 pairs of flip flops to Nigerians in need. I hope that my athletic endeavors will inspire other Nigerians to take up rowing and experience the same joy I feel every time I’m on the water.
I have been so blessed throughout my rowing career, from the Mount to Stanford, Vesper Boat Club, and Conshohocken Rowing Club. I am proud to be a part of the long history of athletes who have raced for the Philadelphia Scholastic Rowing Association and the Schuylkill Navy of Philadelphia. I am willing and able to put in the training to get to the next level, and I thank you for helping to make this dream a reality!
We will all be routing for Coco as she makes Nigeria proud in the finals. May the odds be in her favour.

1 Like

Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by ahamonyeka(m): 11:36pm On Aug 14, 2016
That's good a biafran making us proud at least silver.

Biafrians are industrious.

1 Like

Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by ENDEEEEEEE(m): 11:42pm On Aug 14, 2016
osesology:
Wow! Finally a medal for Nigeria! In Nas' voice `it's been a long time coming'. Our flag is going to be raised for once.

Still patiently waiting for the flying eagles to bring home the gold undecided

Please mind if i ask... how old are u??... Did u read the write up at all??... Abi u just jumped to comment.. Smh.. children everywhere
Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by Kgdavid(m): 11:47pm On Aug 14, 2016
tiedee:

"ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country"

a great American president once said this and believe it or not, this exemplifies the attitude of the typical American white person while your sentiment is quite typical of a Nigerian.

can you now see why things fall apart?
Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by Kgdavid(m): 11:49pm On Aug 14, 2016
Onegai:
Strangely, Nigerians brought up abroad feel patriotic. Until they relocate back to Nigeria. grin

[s]Her rankings have gone up. Which means it's left to her and Nigerian Rowing Federation to compete in the African Games, International rowing competitions and more. This gives her more experience and improves her rankings. Which means in the next Olympics, she will qualify for Rowing much easier. She only qualified this year because the IOC is trying to give as many spots as possible to athletes from less successful countries. In every event, after the top seeded athletes qualify, next is good performers. Followed by the host country and some less performing nations.
It's like how our Football ranking fluctuates depending on if we do well in Africa. Stronger teams are put beside weaker teams so they "thin the herd", though surprises happen. Which is why we don't get easy group matches[/s]

lol but wait...who asked you?

tongue
Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by princee7(m): 11:50pm On Aug 14, 2016
wow a big congratulations to her. please tell her I love her coz its ppl like her that made this nation proud
Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by Sessyjee(m): 12:27am On Aug 15, 2016
Wow! Congrats to her for making Nigeria proud...
Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by mikolo80: 1:23am On Aug 15, 2016
tiedee:
deny fire
when she couldn't qualify for real USA na I'm she remember her been passport
Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by chysam: 2:02am On Aug 15, 2016
I can't take this shit!,why would a Biafran be allowed to represent Nigeria. Is it president Kanu or President emeritus Buhari that is sponsoring her?
Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by edebemba(m): 2:16am On Aug 15, 2016
tiedee:

Please change your perception at once.It is not what your country has done for you that matters, but what you have been able to do for your country.
Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by oyetpel(m): 2:54am On Aug 15, 2016
tiedee:
That's the beauty of being breed abroad, you will use the Nigeria name to shine. You think America would not have chosen this Lady if she was very good?? She used to Nigeria name, now people see how as a hero. She used Nigeria to project her career, and also collects allowance using the Nigeria name for the Olympics. Nigeria is mixture of good and bad.
Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by SafeAlhaji(m): 3:23am On Aug 15, 2016
tiedee:
Bro no place like your father land. Even if you are repping else where, you have it at the back of your mind that you are a particular country not where you are repping presently. Who knows if the changing glory of that your ignored fatherland lies in your hand.
Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by SafeAlhaji(m): 3:26am On Aug 15, 2016
chysam:
I can't take this shit!,why would a Biafran be allowed to represent Nigeria. Is it president Kanu or President emeritus Buhari that is sponsoring her?
And you that come from better ethnic, what have you been able to get donerecieve sense brother
Re: Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics by SafeAlhaji(m): 3:38am On Aug 15, 2016
Blacksodje:
*UPDATE Chierika finished second in the Final D of the Women Single Sculls, and final standing of 20th in the Olympics. Her remarkable journey is nothing short of inspiration to all.
Final competition table is:
Final Standing
Rowers from Autralia, USA and China won Gold, Silver and Bronze of the competition respectively.
Chierika Ukogu, Coco finished 4th in SemiFinal C/D with total time of 8:18.550 and successfully made it to final. She will be competing in Final D of women’s Single Sculls Rowing event on Saturday, August 13 – which not a medal contention group, but for Ranking. Coco will be in lane 4, now likely to be in top two ranked African women in the Sport alongside Zimbabwe’s Micheen Thornycroft.
Chierika Ukogu made history as the first Nigerian athlete to compete for the Rowing event at the Olympic games.
She was born in Pennsylvania, USA on October 2, 1992 after her parents migrated from Nigeria. She is a graduate of Stanford University, studied pre-med and rowed for Stanford’s women’s crew team till her graduation in 2014. She has been accepted into Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York City. This plans to continue schooling after the Olympic games.
Some analysts have said she single-handedly created Nigeria’s rowing team, this is not far from truth. Considering the cost of equipment is quite steep – around N4.8 million by today’s naira.
She stated that her ultimate goal is to represent Nigeria at the Olympics, which at 23 years has now been achieved.
Due to a lack of infrastructure, Chierika not only had to be selected for the team for Rio 2016 but also had to fund herself. She started a
in 2015 and successfully raised $15,000 to get herself equipped and transported to Rio, Brazil.
gofundme campaign
She wrote this about herself:
My name is Chierika, Coco to many, Ukogu and I have been selected to represent Nigeria in the Women’s Single Scull event. It is my ultimate goal to be the 1st Nigerian to row at the Olympic Games.
I am currently training for 30 hours/week with the top athletes in the Philadelphia area under coaches at Vesper Boat Club and Conshohocken Rowing Club, while conducting women’s health research at the University of Pennsylvania.
I will compete at the World Rowing Championships in Aiguebelette, France on Aug 30-Sept 6 and 2016 African Olympic Qualification Regatta in Tunis, Tunisia on Oct 5-7th in hopes of qualifying for Games.
I am not receiving any financial support from the Nigerian Rowing Federation, so my dream relies on your generousity! Money raised will go towards travel costs, entry fees, uniforms, boats, and anything needed to make the Olympics a reality! Please join me on my quest to make history in Rio.
My rowing career began in 2006 at Mount Saint Joseph Academy, and I was hooked as soon as I took my first stroke. Following high school, I attended Stanford University and competed at the D1 level while completing pre-med coursework. After graduating in 2014, I put medical school on hold to dedicate my time to training.
I am honored to have the chance to represent Nigeria in the 2016 Olympic Games. I have always felt strong ties to Nigeria as the daughter of Nigerian immigrants. In 2007, I founded a non-profit organization called Flip Flops for Africa and donated 10,000 pairs of flip flops to Nigerians in need. I hope that my athletic endeavors will inspire other Nigerians to take up rowing and experience the same joy I feel every time I’m on the water.
I have been so blessed throughout my rowing career, from the Mount to Stanford, Vesper Boat Club, and Conshohocken Rowing Club. I am proud to be a part of the long history of athletes who have raced for the Philadelphia Scholastic Rowing Association and the Schuylkill Navy of Philadelphia. I am willing and able to put in the training to get to the next level, and I thank you for helping to make this dream a reality!
We will all be routing for Coco as she makes Nigeria proud in the finals. May the odds be in her favour.
Ameeen

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nasarawa Footballer, Jonah Slumps And Dies During Match (Photos) / Highest-Earning Nigerians In Europe: Ighalo Dusts Osimhen / Anthony Joshua Cut Cake With His Family To Celebrate Nigeria's 59th Independence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.