Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,395 members, 7,815,850 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:26 PM

Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil (46104 Views)

Ronaldinho Set To Run For Senate In Brazil (Photos) / Chukwuneta Anyabolu Dies While Chasing A Man Who Duped Him In Brazil (Photos) / Mikel Obi Paid $4,000 To Save Dream Team VI From Embarrassment In Brazil Hotel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by DeRay98(m): 11:16am On Aug 16, 2016
When responsibility comes in midst lots of younger players he had no choice but to step up. The numerous Super Eagles battles with NFF over the years since he started playing from U17, U20 and SE.
He has grown from being the bad boy of U23 for Sia Sia before China 2008 Olympics when Sia refused to call after he failed to the qualifiers with them.
It's time to show that he has learnt from Kanu, Yobo and Keshi.
Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by Yalakalibari007: 11:16am On Aug 16, 2016
Make him the sport minister ooooo
Bravo Mike!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by olofofonaija1(m): 11:16am On Aug 16, 2016
So sad
Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by Ursino(f): 11:17am On Aug 16, 2016
Thank God for my Chelsea midfielder, Mikel Obi a.k.a. Odogwu!.
we are happy for you.
please bring back the Gold!

1 Like

Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by MadCow1: 11:18am On Aug 16, 2016
druxy:
you didn't add the pic today

DONE!
Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by omogidi234(m): 11:19am On Aug 16, 2016
Congratulations to Mikel, Mod na 2 threads? Make I register my presence here then
Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by BucciJP(m): 11:19am On Aug 16, 2016
Where are the northern born to rules that are better in leadership. If na national before, u will see SE u must have seen 100 Northerners.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by OdenigboAroli(m): 11:20am On Aug 16, 2016
A cross section of players of the Nigeria Under-23s, currently campaigning at the Rio 2016 Olympics have revealed the reasons why Chelsea star Mikel Obi was given a new nickname.

Mikel has been earning rare reviews for his role in inspiring Nigeria to the semi-finals of the football event of the Rio 2016 Olympics, with the captain scoring the first goal in their 2-0 quarterfinal win over Denmark.

The players in their closest, call Mikel “Odogwu”, a name in the Nigerian dialect of Ibo which means leader due to his leadership qualities which has rubbed off on them as young players.

Another of the team player, who played in the middle alongside the Chelsea star also told Owngoalnigeria.com, that the name is their own later way of showing respect to the Chelsea star.

” The name is what we call him in our circle, it was started by Azubuike Okechukwu and the rest is history but we hardly call him that to his face”, A player in the team told Owngoalnigeria.com.

Another player said to his face, they call him “Senior Man” but off it, he is refereed to as Odogwu as they can’t call him by his name due to the respect they have for him.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by sabi159(m): 11:21am On Aug 16, 2016
Odogwu abi, I hear
Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by OdenigboAroli(m): 11:24am On Aug 16, 2016
Mikel ODOGWU! Very powerful title and probably too heavy for Mikel to carry. Odogwu actually means a war commander or a brave one.
Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by minato09(m): 11:27am On Aug 16, 2016
smithsydny:
Odogwu nwoke.. I trust u
Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by MicroBox: 11:30am On Aug 16, 2016
I remembered him instructing the team to cheer the fans after our first game.....
Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by Seanmike(m): 11:31am On Aug 16, 2016
nice one mikel, keep it up
Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by onnenka: 11:37am On Aug 16, 2016
shamecurls:
That`s the same name my political associates call me
A Yoruba Muslim like you.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by Ihavespoken: 11:42am On Aug 16, 2016
Mikel has done and is doing great in his career. Do you know what it means to play for Chelsea for 8years, apart from the bloody money, reputation, automatic qualification for managerial roles, twin babies from his oyibo. His house in West London can buy 5 houses in banana island.

What more would a man want?

xtivin:
Mikel should have gone too far in his career..mourinho caused his weaknesses

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by toprealman: 12:04pm On Aug 16, 2016
If Mikel na white guy, expect an autobiography after Rio.
Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by Caseless: 12:10pm On Aug 16, 2016
xtivin:
gbam! He made him a defensive mid-fielder instead of the attacking one he's known for. Though, without what maurinho did , I don't think he would have lasted on the scene this long.
Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by victorazy(m): 12:38pm On Aug 16, 2016
xtivin:

Dumbbest comments ppl used to make.
Na Mourinho born him?
Na Mourinhor hold his legs?

Mikel is just a mediocre and we should have known that, he never wanted to grow.
Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by Fawklicant: 1:06pm On Aug 16, 2016
Lilimax:
Odogwu karirikwara odogwu biko!
However, I only know one Odogwu embarassed

The only odogwu I know is my bulala! grin Every other one is pirated.
Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by andrewutibe: 1:18pm On Aug 16, 2016
Na so he deserve some respect
Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by Decryptor(m): 1:52pm On Aug 16, 2016
xtivin:

Did he open his mouth to affirm what you just said?
Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by ikdaddy01(m): 2:02pm On Aug 16, 2016
ODOGWU k'ibu
Mgwa, nara aka ito cool
Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by legendte(m): 2:13pm On Aug 16, 2016
Mikel is not IPOD and he is bringing disgrace to the country.
Over to you Afonjas.
Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by WhoIBe: 3:05pm On Aug 16, 2016
Odugwu, nice one what of Minister of Sports
Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by matoyeh(m): 3:09pm On Aug 16, 2016
Dshocker:
Its too late for him to prove himself
WHY ARE U PEOPLE SO IDIOTIC?

1 Like

Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by Iscoalarcon: 4:58pm On Aug 16, 2016
Princejebs:
Baba God will soon change my own story
Insha Allah
Almighty Allah has no child undecided
Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by Stepoo: 5:01pm On Aug 16, 2016
xtivin:

shey Mourinho tie him leg?
Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by mcricky(m): 5:30pm On Aug 16, 2016
Its good to know dat even though one silly old man seem to messing up d entire land, another young progressive igbo boy is keeping d house in order.

...First it was Chierika making d nation proud, now its Obi.
...Name Checker Association of Nigeria (NCAN) take note! tongue

1 Like

Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by mcricky(m): 5:31pm On Aug 16, 2016
Its good to know dat even though one silly old man seem to messing up d entire land, another young progressive igbo boy is keeping d house in order.

...First it was Chierika making d nation proud, now its Obi.
...Name Checkers Association of Nigeria (NCAN) take note! tongue
Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by Nickymezor(f): 5:50pm On Aug 16, 2016
Mikel d man smiley....Well deserved N/name.
Re: Mikel Gets "Odogwu" As Nickname In Brazil by iaminspired: 6:20pm On Aug 16, 2016
gmacnoms:
I neva used to like him, even though I celebrate his success. But with this Olympics actions, i'v bin converted to loving him.

Well, soon the world will be celebrating me and my works.
Below's my first track; A jazz saxophone version of 'Trading my sorrows'

http://www.believerscompanion.com/2016/08/download-gospel-music-jayraldss-trading.html

OR

http://newgospelmuzik..com/2016/08/jayraldss-trading-my-sorrow-sax-refix.html?m=1

I purposely downloaded the sax audio cos I love Sax.
But lemme make a little recommendations

The intro looks too much. You didn't give me enough modulation, I love modulation grin nevertheless it's a wonderful work.

Your sustain needs to be worked on

Nevertheless it was really a good work. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Let's get started : where do you stay

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Osimhen And Chukwueze Led Praise And Worship During New Players Initiation / The Accident Scene That Killed Chinedu Udoji (Photos) / Lukaku Says He Won't Slide On His Knees To Celebrate Goals Anymore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.