Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,246 members, 7,822,272 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:15 AM

A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House (3887 Views)

My Visit To Bsquared Kennel (home Of Saint Bernard And Caucasian Shepherds) / A Diary of My Visit to Bada Kennel at Ketu (Lagos state) on 13/Aug./2016 / A Diary Of My Last Visit To Dogbreath Kennel On The 8-10/ APRIL/ 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by okikiosibodu(m): 2:49pm On Aug 16, 2016
Here is the narration of my encounter with my uncle's dog at Abeokuta. I went there with an intent of attending a wedding, but i ended-up making friends with a canine.
you might not be too impressed with the picture 'cause as at when I took the pictures, I had no plans/ intentions of writing a diary. never know my love for my canine friends will compel me beyond my ability to resist.
Please grab you gears as you follow me on the journey of fun
Re: A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by SweetyZinta(f): 3:11pm On Aug 16, 2016
wake-up!!! your thread has landed in Front page

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin shocked
Re: A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by ojnnaco(m): 3:42pm On Aug 16, 2016
Let me kuku book this page in case e later reach front page
Re: A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by okikiosibodu(m): 3:57pm On Aug 16, 2016
It was about two months after my visit to DOGBREATH KENNEL, that I had to generate a trip to Abeokuta, for one of my big cousin's wedding. It was a thing of joy, but my heart was filled with more joy when it dawned on me that I'll be seeing some of my big cousins that I had not set my eye upon for donkey year. I also will meet some new faces, of my extended family. I was very happy, 'cause I'll be attending a family reuninion in disguise. My brother and I set off very early in the morning from Lagos state to Abeokuta, so as to beat that annoyingly unavoidable traffic in Lagos state. People that have spent substantial duration of time in Lagos especially those that live(ed) or work(ed) in Lagos state, will agree wth me thath Lagos is different from the other parts of Nigeria. You have more sane madmen on the road, than the totally sane ones. As a passenger in a public transport, it's never going to b a pleasant experience if you forget you wallet at home (your own don be, be that). I think this pictures will help you understand more.

Re: A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by okikiosibodu(m): 1:09am On Aug 17, 2016
Car owners hardly obey road signs, especially traffic lights: they obey it only when a police patrol van is on sight, or when they are on the highway, with many governing road officials. Police suddenly become you friend when they stop you, and you reach for you pocket. Other armed forces of the country present in the state and other military parastatals (quango), go both professional and unprofessional, to ensure maximum delivery of their service (dem dey add small kolo join am). Zebra crossing to many car owners, is just a painting on the road, with white and black colours, as seen on the TV in Tom-Tom's advert: pedestrians hardly get priority. For entrepreneurs, you daily face customers with low budget, demanding high quality services/ products. Life in Lagos sha, e get as e be. Na one kind something.

We got to Sagamu, and my brother pulled the car over, and put my on the wheels. I have been warming the car in the garage, and taking it out to park, when neighours need to drive out, but I had never driven a long distance. Since the day was still immature (young) as we were the only ones on the road, my brother saw it as a perfect opportunity for me to learn how to drive, on the dual carriage- express way (which also has a road divider to seperate the on-coming traffic). I drove well from Sagamu to Abeokuta, and drove well, except for few occasions when I almost swerved into the bush when trying to avoid pot-holes. My brother's timely control of the steering and God, was what was keeping us on track. We had to switch sides again, when we were approach Abeokuta, as the day was breaking and the road was getting busy.

Re: A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by okikiosibodu(m): 1:31am On Aug 17, 2016
We arrived at my uncle's place, and we had to make ourselves useful. His dog chained to the front of they house , just won't stop barking at intruders walking up and down, in preparation for the wedding. He doesn't have a cage, but he hardly get chained too, except there are guests present in the house. Though he doesn't have a cage, there are several places in the compound that serves as shelter, for him, shielding him from the sun, rain, or cold. There are also places in the compound where he can seek solitude if he so desired. I can't remember the name of the dog...Not sure of it's Peace or Faith, but I know he was given a Christian name by my uncle. Let us assume his name is Peace, for the purpose of this write up.
Peace is an hybrid of German Shepherd dog and Rottweiler, though he is more of a German Shepherd than a Rott, and the only Rottweiler-like feature he has, is a fold at the tip of his ears, and his tail that is not hairy-It had the shape of an undocked Rottweiler. He however has the pigmentation/coat, body structure and physique of an Alsatian.

Re: A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by okikiosibodu(m): 2:11pm On Aug 17, 2016
I was done with the duties apportioned to me, and my brother being the official photography (TT OSIBODU PHOTOGRAPHY), had set off for the hotel, to cover the make up session of the bride. It was not time for the church service yet, so I did not bother to change to Aso-Ebi since I could be called upon anytime to help out with one or two things.
I decided to step out to catch some air, when my presence was received by Peace's deafening barks. He was chained by the door of the main entrance, with a plate of jollof rice just served from the fire. The house was structured with three exits: one by the backyard, the other is positioned in front of the house, and the third leading to the kitchen, which is located by the side of the house (close to the main entrance though), through which guests were passing into the house.
Peace wouldn't stop barking since there was an influx visitors in batches. I took my time to study him, and realised he barked crazily when people were approaching the kitchen door , since it was close to the main door, where he was chained to. He was trying to claim and defend his space. He however would be calm after intruders walked away from his territory.
I drew close to him, and he started barking real loud. I maintained my position, and also sustained a direct eye contact with him (this I learnt from Ceasar Millan's show), while keeping calm in his space. After a while, he stopped barking and retired to the ground as he laid. I moved a few more pace, and the whole scenario repeated itself. I kept on doing this, until I was really close to him...less than the lenght of a 15cm ruler. This time, he was barking real crazy and I was tempted to move away before an elderly people around, begin to complaind. My uncle and his wife (who are both elderly) were too engrossed with getting the necessary things for wedding ready, so I was less concerned about them getting upset. However, I maintained my cool.

Re: A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by okikiosibodu(m): 2:44pm On Aug 17, 2016
A secret I learnt for Ceasar Millan, is to always maintain a calm exterior in presence of a dog (especially if you are yet to belong to its pack) and maintain a direct eye contact- the aim of most (though not all) barking dogs, is to instill some fear in you, and they launch an attack at the slightest display of fear. While doing this, make sure your hands are visible to the dog, so he doesn't get agitated. Not all dogs bark before launching an attack but most dogs will give you some sought of warning, especially a growl. Most people fail this test and run away, without knowing they are simulating the prey instinct in a dog, which then decides to give them a hot chase... After passing the test of confidence and earning the dog's trust (make sure the dog is restrained or its owner is present during this phase), you can then proceed to crouch close to the dog, and offer him the back of your palm (not the palm itself, as the dog might consider this offensive). He's attempt to sniff you hand and then lick you, as a sign that you are accepted into his pack- once again, make sure the dog is restrained or its capable owner or one familiar to the dog, is present. And it is also important you remain calm, so the dog doesn't misinterpret you actions and attack you....let us avoid stories that touch the heart. After licking you hands, the dog will try to sniff and lick other parts of your body. That is how canines obtain more information about people...Unlike humans that can tell people apart based on their looks, voice, complexion, etc...for dogs, they recognise and identify people more base on their smell, and voice).
Re: A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by okikiosibodu(m): 3:02pm On Aug 17, 2016
Haven't moved a distance about the size of a 15cm ruler to Peace who was restrained, I remained motionless, stirred into Peace's eyes as I maintained a direct eye contact, and tried to remain calm as I deliberately misplaced myself in a jungle of thoughts- so as to appear calm to Peace. He barked and barked and barked ceaselessly for about 5mins with desperation to test his biting force on my tender skin (Chisos!!! You want to give me a scar abi? I no go gree for you). He became calm for a while, and stopped barking. He completely ignore the strangers perambulating the compound and was stirring deep into my eyes (as if his best treat is located in them), as his ears were twitch from left to right, and his jaws slightly ajar (as if he was trying to imagine what gave me such chutzpa to move this close. Who you be?). I reciprocated his gesture, and we were in this position for about 3-5 minutes [(i]Is that all?[/i]). Suddenly, he raised his front legs in an attempt to rest them on me, but the chain fastened to his neck restrained him. I was really scared and chickened-out as I pulled back. I summoned courage again and moved closed after a meticulous analysis of the situation- he is not barking, he is not growling, he is not retrieving to his place of rest, neither is he attempting to attack me (ram we move back, na empowerment he go achieve).
I remembered my visit to Dogbreath Kennel, and remember how I was unable to take good shot...an incident I wish I have the power to change. I don't want history to repeat itself. So I brought out my phone, and started taking shot, avoiding it dropping from my hand within the dog's reach- I will just cry *winks*).

1 Like

Re: A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by okikiosibodu(m): 6:34pm On Aug 17, 2016
I moved close again, and he repeated the same thing. His front legs were in in the air and was trying to reach for me but the leash was restricting him. The leash around his neck was what what was assisting his hind legs to support his weight while standing. I didn't know how what to do, but i managed to offer my left hand to support his left hand, so the pressure on his neck by his weight exerted through the collar, is minimize ('cause he was in this position for about 30 secs, swinging is front legs as if he was swimming. However, I was tactical about it. I skillfully reached out for his legs, but made it possible for his mouth not to be able to touch my hand. He tried moving my hand close to him, but I remembered how Tom used to lure Jerry into his tormenting trap (in Tom and Jerry Cartoon), and decided not to play along with Peace
I noticed he was trying to sniff and lick me, without any sign of aggression, so I decided to leave my hands at his disposal, with the optimism that he'll NEVER bite me (just like Maya from Dogbreath Kennel in my previous thread). I was right, he never bite me. He was just licking and sniffing me . it was a big risk I am happy I took.

1 Like

Re: A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by okikiosibodu(m): 6:54pm On Aug 17, 2016
We started playing in his Kabal and he did not bark again 'cause he completely ignored the unknown faces parading the compound- he had gotten a new friend mehn (me) grin
I yearned to take him on a walk but I am not too familiar with the neighbourhood (though it is an housing estate), and I had no idea how many minutes I had more, before the commencement of the wedding ceremony. I rushed in to my uncle's wife and asked her if I could take Peace on a walk, to which she gave an affirmative answer, but she said T'o bati m'oju e (that's if you are a known face to him). I diplomatically asked how how much time I've got before we set off to church, for the wedding, and she replied "Less than 5mins". I consoled myself that there will b AFRICAN TIME, and hallucinated purposely within myself, that I heard 10min- because I never change to Aso-Ebi yet (*In Harrysong's voice* No come and use your Reggae disturb my Blues).
I rushed out of the kitchen and headed for Peace, to take him on an outing.

Re: A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by okikiosibodu(m): 7:34pm On Aug 17, 2016
I went into his space to loosen his chain as he stood up sharp, wiggling his tail vigorously as the tail was waving Halleluyah unto God. He was looking deep into my eyes as if he knew my intentions. I am not sure my uncle ever walked Peace out of the house, 'cause my uncle is an elderly man and is usually busy. His also has noone in the house that can help him out with the walking of the dog. So the only time he got to leave the compound, must be only during medical check-ups.
I unfastened his chain and we both were heading for the gate, as he was dragging me. Unknown faces started running helter-skelter, seeking for cover. My assurance to them that I've got the situation under control, fell on deaf ear.
we got to the gate and made him wait patiently, before I opened the gate. I also made sure I stepped out first, and i assumed, and maintained the alpha position...he wasn't dragging me outside

1 Like

Re: A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by okikiosibodu(m): 9:51pm On Aug 17, 2016
We stepped out, and he was very happy. He was wagging his tail with tremendous strokes, as it swerved to and fro. People taking care the outside of their houses, took a pause to grasp at a view of how Peace and I had bonded. We walked with confidence 'cause we got each other's back. I shortened the leash as I rolled the chain round my right hand several times. I occasionally would jog to exercise him, and I love the way he sprinted in reciprocation. He was curious about the environment, and wanted to sniff everything that came his way. I occasionally jerked the leash slightly, to call him to order, and her behaved well.
I tried to position him between my legs to take a selfie with him, but he found staying between my legs offensive. I thought I was jumping into conclusion until when I tried it a second time skillfully and saw him walk out immediately, and was ready to bite if I tried it again. I had to let it go

Re: A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by okikiosibodu(m): 10:24pm On Aug 17, 2016
He was marking the road with his urine as canines do in the wild. We'll walk a few pace and he will stop briefly to mark his scent as he slightly raised one of his hind legs to expel some fluid.

Re: A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by okikiosibodu(m): 10:26pm On Aug 17, 2016
Suddenly, he spotted a group of sheep seated afar as he raised head, and then was pulling me towards the direction (e even wan drag me enter mud. Lailai, I no go gree for you). The herd spotting danger from about 20metres ahead, stood up and took to their heels. They all went towards the same direction and that trigger Peace’s prey instinct. He increased his pace so I needed more strength to counter him. His chase came to an halt when the herd came to their senses and thought it was a better idea for them to head in different directions. Confused Peace came to an standstill and was looking forlorn. I couldn't snap this part 'cause I need my two hands to counter his strenght, and to call him to order.

Re: A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by okikiosibodu(m): 10:27pm On Aug 17, 2016
I suddenly remembered the time for wedding was fast approaching…so I made a U-turn with Peace, and we galloped back home. He enjoyed the sprint more than I did. As we entered through the gate, there was a cessation in movement, as Peace became a cynosure. We got more priority on the walkway. Once again, I felt like a “GEE” cheesy grin grin

Re: A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by okikiosibodu(m): 10:28pm On Aug 17, 2016
I secured his chain back to its initial position and hastened to the tap to wash off my wet and wash my hands, before I went to change to my Aso-Ebi. I relaxed under the AC so I don’t sweat on my white Aso-Ebi. Each time I sauntered across his space, he’ll try to reach out for me and try to put his legs on me, to which I declined vehemently.
We set off for the wedding, and I bidded him farewell. That was the last time I saw him. I hope to see him soon, so I can continue this thread.

1 Like

Re: A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by okikiosibodu(m): 10:28pm On Aug 17, 2016
Thank you for reading… I hope you enjoyed the ride?
Please take a look at my previous thread
https://www.nairaland.com/3289738/diary-last-visit-dogbreath-kennel
or my next thread
https://www.nairaland.com/3294787/encounter-spike-gsd-rottweiler-hybrid#48571416
Re: A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by cedar3: 11:59pm On Aug 17, 2016
Wow, interesting.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by dhavel: 12:23pm On Aug 20, 2016
okikiosibodu:
Suddenly, he spotted a group of sheep seated afar as he raised head, and then was pulling me towards the direction (e even wan drag me enter mud. Lailai, I no go gree for you). The herd spotting danger from about 20metres ahead, stood up and took to their heels. They all went towards the same direction and that trigger Peace’s prey instinct. He increased his pace so I needed more strength to counter him. His chase came to an halt when the herd came to their senses and thought it was a better idea for them to head in different direction. Confused Peace came to an standstill and was looking forlorn. I couldn't snap this part 'cause I need my two hands to counter his strenght, and to call him to order.

boss no try am with my dog o! it won't end well.

1 Like

Re: A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by okikiosibodu(m): 4:09pm On Aug 20, 2016
dhavel:

boss no try am with my dog o! it won't end well.
Lol. E go drag me reach the sheep?
Re: A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by dhavel: 12:48pm On Aug 22, 2016
okikiosibodu:
Lol. E go drag me reach the sheep?
him go chop ur head.

1 Like

Re: A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by okikiosibodu(m): 7:21pm On Nov 22, 2017
Wow! Never knew this thread will get more updates.
My brother's wedding is coming up tomorrow by God's grace, so we headed for Abeokuta today to see my uncle, who owns Peace (the GSD/ Rottweiler hybrid). I discovered today that his name is Favor.
We parked in front of my uncle's gate and announced our arrival over the phone as my brother and his friends stood in front of the gate. Favour came charging at the gate as he saw us through the open between the gate's hind and the wall. He was backing real hard, so I came to his very front to mark register with my appearance. It was as if his bark increased and he had his front legs suspended in the air. I chanted his name (though calling him Peace) but he turned deaf ears to my voice. Suddenly, I saw a puppy spring out from behind him and was joining in the barking. This puppy was full of energy and leaping as it was barking. I got more curious on making friends with the puppy and couldn't wait to get inside.
I tried to offer Favour the bark of my palm to offer my friendship, but he didn't make attempt to kick it. Rather, he barked at my palm. I was very confused. I know dogs have memories of those they have come in contact with, and I also know it's been a while we last saw (last year if you must know), but I still expected him to know me.
My uncle broke into the scene with his presence and was calling Flavour so he could secure him in his chain. As he was beckoning on Favour, I was also calling him from the opposite direction (of my uncle). Favour had his eyes fixed on my and would return to the gate after moving a few steps to my uncle when he gets called. I figured out Favour identified me. It happened for more that you 2mins. Favour tried to offer me his paws through the gate but I was not sure to accept his gesture cos I was not entirely sure he means friendship. He gave in to my uncles beckoning when my uncle was calling out his name and shaking his chains to compliment it.

Re: A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by okikiosibodu(m): 7:54pm On Nov 22, 2017
My uncle came to receive us from the gate after securing the canines, and I greeted him and his wife briefly before I dashed out to meet the canines. Favour was barking at my mum, my brother, and my brother's friends but he stopped when I got close to him. He tried to reach for me with his jaws but I retreat out from it cos I was trying to be meticulous with the canine communication been displayed. He starter his bark again and then my uncle wife looked back and said he was goin to attack me cos he doesn't know me. I reminded her of my encounter with him, but she wasn't convinced.
I stood directly in his front and stared into his eyes. He barked for a while before he stopped, and then suspended his legs in the air as his neck restrained his movement when trying to reach me. I was now certain he remembered me, then I reached out to him.
We caught up on each other, and he was getting grumpy. Humping me and trying to climb me as if I were a tree. He was really licking me. I was stroking his fur, and we became the Centre of attraction. He was seriously scratching me with his claws cos he was trying to grab me with his claws. It was hurting me but it as enduring it cos of our canine love.

Re: A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by okikiosibodu(m): 8:57pm On Nov 22, 2017
My aunt the called out the names of the dogs, that was when I figured out that the big dogs name is Favour, and the small one is Peace. My uncle came in and said piece was a female. I reached out for Peace but was not in a lackadaisical manner, cos utmost caution. She just aimed for the back of the palm offered to her and was licking it playfully. I discovered she is very active playful. She was nibbling on my hand with her needle-like teeth, and it was both ticklish and scary. I am not sure she can distinguish between a playful bite and a painful bite.
I came close to Peace and grabbed her, and was stroking her furs. She was playfully confused as she round charge at my face with her tongue to kick it like ice cream, and then would roll on the floor for me to 4ub her belly. We really got along well. She also got her chain tangled several times and I had to sort it out for her

Re: A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by okikiosibodu(m): 10:30pm On Nov 22, 2017
After composing a write up, it got wiped off when it was bounced back. Feeling really discouraged. Will try to write some down again.
The chains of each dog was long enough to allow both canines touch each other. I deliberately spent time with one, and ignored the other, but none of them displayed jealousy when I did so to them. Each waited patientky while staring at me.
The level of bond between the two parties was a terrific and enviable type. I couldn't take clear shots cos they were not stationary. I made a video instead to immortalize the event.
My uncle complained of Favour's ears dropping cos he was itching it. Blood got clogged in his ear, and the tissue got damaged. He is about 8years old now Sha. He is loosing his furs already especially around his tail region
This is all I can type for now jare. Morale is shattered.

Re: A Diary Of My Visit To My Uncle's House by okikiosibodu(m): 10:54pm On Nov 22, 2017
More pics

(1) (Reply)

Inside A Dog Meat Factory: Shocking Photos Reveal How Dogs Are Chained Up(pics) / Help My Rottie Isn't Coming On Heat. / Adult Pedigree Cane Corso

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.