Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,231 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:13 AM

Tax Experts, Pls Give Tax Advice For Small Businesses - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Tax Experts, Pls Give Tax Advice For Small Businesses (1598 Views)

Big Money In Small Businesses / 3 Legitimate Online Businesses A Nigerian Can Start In 2017 / How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tax Experts, Pls Give Tax Advice For Small Businesses by mizGene(f): 3:01pm On Aug 16, 2016
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

Hi Guys.
Through all my waka waka in the business section of nairaland, I have yet to see enough threads/info dedicated to tax issues faced by small businesses.
I am starting this thread because I have questions and so that other entrepreneurs can have access to relevant info, hopefully interact with tax experts and learn from other people's experience.

My first question;

I have a company incorporated for some years with the CAC without actually doing any business with it due to some hitches back then. Now I'm gearing up to "finish" what I started. It just occurred to me that the FIRS will have been expecting taxes for all these years that I haven't actually been doing business.
Can anyone tell me the process to sort this out?

Other people pls feel free to ask your own questions, importantly tax experts in the house pls, pls and please come in and lend your voice (you fit do tutorial sef on tax issues facing small businesses, we no mind. This thread is all yours.)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax Experts, Pls Give Tax Advice For Small Businesses by shupy: 4:06pm On Aug 16, 2016
Cc Lalasticlala Ishilove Semid4lyfe Obinoscopy Seun

1 Like

Re: Tax Experts, Pls Give Tax Advice For Small Businesses by Irevac3: 7:58pm On Aug 16, 2016
Please I have the same issue too. I registered a company years ago and have not done any business but want to start now. What would FIRS require of me.
Re: Tax Experts, Pls Give Tax Advice For Small Businesses by shupy: 4:12pm On Aug 17, 2016
Op..pls help move to front page
Re: Tax Experts, Pls Give Tax Advice For Small Businesses by mizGene(f): 6:53pm On Aug 17, 2016
shupy:
Op..pls help move to front page

If only I had the power... sad
Re: Tax Experts, Pls Give Tax Advice For Small Businesses by mizGene(f): 10:27am On Aug 27, 2016
OK, so no takers!
I'll be putting in information here for others to learn as I learn from other sources.

To answer my 1st question;

When a biz is formed, you are supposed to submit a statement of affairs to the firs after the 18th month or 6 months after the 1st accounting date (whichever comes 1st) this is done even if you hav not commenced business.
So now that I have obviously failed to do this (ignorance/laziness is bad oo) I need to get a tax officer to raise a "late return penalty" for the period of non-compliance.

Right now I don't have details of the penalty cost, will let it across when I do.

2 Likes

Re: Tax Experts, Pls Give Tax Advice For Small Businesses by mizGene(f): 10:44am On Aug 27, 2016
Business tax rate in Nigeria is 30% of your profit. Some companies: agro allied and companies making less than 1m, rate is 20% for the 1st 5 years after formation.

Also new businesses can apply for a "right to elect" that is, the taxpayer can ask to be assessed on actual year or preceding year basis, and he chooses the lower to pay...to enjoy this, one must first apply for it.

2 Likes

Re: Tax Experts, Pls Give Tax Advice For Small Businesses by mizGene(f): 11:08am On Aug 27, 2016
Sole traders pay personal income tax to state revenue boards in contrast to companies which pay business tax to the FIRS.
See image attached; it shows the different rates at which different income levels are taxed. This is based on your taxable income per year, you then have to divide by 12 to knw hw much you will pay in a month.

Pls other contributors and more questions are welcome.

3 Likes

Re: Tax Experts, Pls Give Tax Advice For Small Businesses by shupy: 12:09pm On Aug 27, 2016
Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Re: Tax Experts, Pls Give Tax Advice For Small Businesses by mrsage(m): 12:12pm On Aug 27, 2016
This is educative. Keep it up. Some of us are into business and we really dont understand the dynamics of taxation.

Please teach us some tax avoidance methods. grin

1 Like

Re: Tax Experts, Pls Give Tax Advice For Small Businesses by shupy: 12:46pm On Aug 27, 2016
mrsage:

Hahahaha
Re: Tax Experts, Pls Give Tax Advice For Small Businesses by Lnxxxxx(m): 2:54pm On Aug 27, 2016
Hello Op,

Very good and informative thread. I would like to mention that it been a very long time since I practice tax so I am rusty.

First, you said you are about to become operational, I think you may be charged pre-operational levy for every accessment year your company stays dormant (it should be #50,000). This is assuming that you filed your taxes, where you failed to do this, you will be charged late return penalty. It's gets worse as the FIRS may actually charge you interest on this late return penalty (your tax professional can attempt arguing this part)

As for individuals and partisanship, you pay taxes to your state of residence. The key term here is your state of residence, comes with plenty confusion eg I live at Muye and work in Lagos, or live after Nanya and work in Abuja, so who will I pay my taxes to? Ie I derive income from one state and live in another, it becomes more interesting when your employer remit it for you in a state where you don't work.

Also, I believe military and Abuja residence pay their taxes to the FIRS.

As for tax avoidance, you have to structure your business to take full advantage of the tax law. Eg I know there are some tax incentives if you are into exporting or investing in gas and etc. Also you have to wonder why some organizations collect loans even though they have the money to fund a project (it's because most loans are tax deductible. To determine tax deductibility you have to apply the WREN principles: which says that for any expense to be tax deductible, it has to be "wholly, reasonable, exclusively and necessarily" incurred in the process of doing business (or something of that nature)

Another thing is applying for tax holiday, but you must check the rules to apply for that.

Tax is quite easy if you have the time to study, but as a business owner there is no excuse, you need to know and understand tax.

Goodluck

PS - I am neither an accountant nor lawyer. So feel free to correct me where I may have strayed. I may comment as the thread grows.
Apologies for typos

2 Likes

Re: Tax Experts, Pls Give Tax Advice For Small Businesses by mizGene(f): 3:54pm On Aug 27, 2016
mrsage:
This is educative. Keep it up. Some of us are into business and we really dont understand the dynamics of taxation.

cheesy ! The only way to bend the rules it to know them 1st grin
Re: Tax Experts, Pls Give Tax Advice For Small Businesses by mizGene(f): 4:05pm On Aug 27, 2016
Lnxxxxx:
Hello Op,

Very good and informative thread. I would like to mention that it been a very long time since I practice tax so I am rusty.

First, you said you are about to become operational, I think you may be charged pre-operational levy for every accessment year your company stays dormant (it should be #50,000). This is assuming that you filed your taxes, where you failed to do this, you will be charged late return penalty. It's gets worse as the FIRS may actually charge you interest on this late return penalty (your tax professional can attempt arguing this part)

As for individuals and partisanship, you pay taxes to your state of residence. The key term here is your state of residence, comes with plenty confusion eg I live at Muye and work in Lagos, or live after Nanya and work in Abuja, so who will I pay my taxes to? Ie I derive income from one state and live in another, it becomes more interesting when your employer remit it for you in a state where you don't work.

Also, I believe military and Abuja residence pay their taxes to the FIRS.

As for tax avoidance, you have to structure your business to take full advantage of the tax law. Eg I know there are some tax incentives if you are into exporting or investing in gas and etc. Also you have to wonder why some organizations collect loans even though they have the money to fund a project (it's because most loans are tax deductible. To determine tax deductibility you have to apply the WREN principles: which says that for any expense to be tax deductible, it has to be "wholly, reasonable, exclusively and necessarily" incurred in the process of doing business (or something of that nature)

Another thing is applying for tax holiday, but you must check the rules to apply for that.

Tax is quite easy if you have the time to study, but as a business owner there is no excuse, you need to know and understand tax.

Goodluck

PS - I am neither an accountant nor lawyer. So feel free to correct me where I may have strayed. I may comment as the thread grows.
Apologies for typos

Thanks a lot Lynxxxxx! Your post is really very helpful.
So I will be charged pre-operational levy as well as the penalty plus/minus interest! I may as well register a new business, it would be less stressful and cost less too.
I heard Abj resident soletraders pay to FIRS for now but will switch soon to the local revenue board....
This brings me to the issue of state revenue boards, from what I hear, they appear to be aggressive in their demands n mode of operation...
Is the FIRS as aggressive? I am wondering what you think about registering as a company in order to deal with the FIRS directly. I'm assuming that the state revenue boards hv no business disturbing a company that has FIRS tax clearance...

Cc Irevac3
Re: Tax Experts, Pls Give Tax Advice For Small Businesses by rinrin23(f): 1:24pm On Feb 21, 2019
Hello mizGene

How did you resolve this issue?

Did FIRS penalize you or just delist your business? How many years was it dormant for?
Re: Tax Experts, Pls Give Tax Advice For Small Businesses by bujebudanu1(m): 12:52am On Feb 26, 2022
mizGene:
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

Hi Guys.
Through all my waka waka in the business section of nairaland, I have yet to see enough threads/info dedicated to tax issues faced by small businesses.
I am starting this thread because I have questions and so that other entrepreneurs can have access to relevant info, hopefully interact with tax experts and learn from other people's experience.

My first question;

I have a company incorporated for some years with the CAC without actually doing any business with it due to some hitches back then. Now I'm gearing up to "finish" what I started. It just occurred to me that the FIRS will have been expecting taxes for all these years that I haven't actually been doing business.
Can anyone tell me the process to sort this out?

Other people pls feel free to ask your own questions, importantly tax experts in the house pls, pls and please come in and lend your voice (you fit do tutorial sef on tax issues facing small businesses, we no mind. This thread is all yours.)

Hi do u still have naira , I want to exchange like 25£

(1) (Reply)

I need top quality Cotonou garri / What To Know Before Buying That Solar Panel / What Kind Of Business Can I Start With 5 Million Naira ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.