Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,237 members, 7,867,632 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 08:10 PM

Tinubu’s Letter: Does Lack Of Denial Mean Endorsement Of Abraham? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu’s Letter: Does Lack Of Denial Mean Endorsement Of Abraham? (756 Views)

Oyegun Replies Tinubu's Letter / After Tinubu’s Letter To Oyegun, Buhari Meets APC Chairman / Bola Tinubu's Letter To John Odigie-Oyegun! "You Are Sabotaging My Assignment" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu’s Letter: Does Lack Of Denial Mean Endorsement Of Abraham? by babse(m): 11:30pm On Aug 16, 2016
Breaking down Tinubu’s Letter: Does Lack of Denial mean Endorsement of Abraham?

A wide array of reactions have trailed Bola Tinubu’s response to Tunji Abayomi’s accusations of imposition of specific aspirants to carry the flag of the All Progressives Congress as its gubernatorial candidate for the forthcoming Ondo election. While most of these reactions have praised Senator Tinubu’s simple, yet sophisticated response, a particular omission has been met with speculation.

Tinubu touched on two major accusations bordering on imposition and his initial lack of interest in the candidature of President Buhari. The imposition argument was tactically brushed off by Tinubu regarding which he stated;
“It is said that to err is human. By your letter to me, it seems that you seek to remind me that I am human. Of this I am constantly reminded. I know I have made my share of mistakes…I will also do everything in my power to ensure the primaries are free and fair and that there will be no undue influence on the process. The candidate who can garner the most support and votes will win.

In a masterstroke of effective delivery through written word, Tinubu was able to relay a clear message that imposition — the anointing of candidate as was done in the days of the ACN — is a thing of the past citing the precedence already set by the metamorphosed APC in delivering “ the cleanest and most transparent primaries in the history of this nation.” Amongst other pronouncements by the Jagaban of Borgu in his letter, a lack of denial of the accusation that he has anointed supported a particular candidate had piqued the interest of pundits and stakeholders in Ondo State.

I reserve the right to support any candidate I wish because no one has the right to take this away from me.
A glaring omission for many, the statement above serves as sufficient proof that truly, Tinubu has pitched his tent with a particular candidate. These insinuations are not far fetched especially since the primaries are only 12 days away. Does Tinubu’s inability to deny the accusation of support imply admission? We at Ondo For Truth do not believe this is necessarily the case.

Tinubu’s political history should reveal that this was the best response he could give to please all parties involved. To see the tree (this statement or the lack of one therefore) without the forest (Tinubu, APC, imposition and Ondo state aspirants) is to miss the point. Three obvious statements exist that could’ve been released all of which will have varying ramifications. We analyze all three below;

1. I did not endorse/ I do not plan to impose anybody
This out of the gate is likely to be interpreted as; I am not supporting the accused candidate. This conclusion within the milieu of this discourse is the only obvious conclusion to be reached by the generally public and most importantly; delegates and co-aspirants. Such a statement is likely to destroy the accused’s campaign abruptly even before the primaries. It would be unfair and ill advised for Tinubu to jeopardize another mans ambition without him asking for it (i.e. Abayomi’s letter). If Abayomi’s intent was to put Tinubu in a corner, Tinubu skillfully maneuvered that salvo, instilling back confidence amongst other aspirants who consider his opinion and support important.

2. I will not endorse/support anybody/taking my hands off
He clearly cannot risk using this statement to appear non-partisan or neutral. Many have requested that Tinubu be neutral with regards to this particular primary. Political parties are about partisanship and influence. Tinubu has been influential in South West political issues involving the APC by virtue of his endorsements and “support”. To appear neutral is to risk losing his influence in almost all things regarding Ondo State APC. All that needs to happen is for a candidate who isn’t appreciative of Tinubu’s influence to win the primaries and the Dominoes begin to fall. This statement is clearly impossible to be put out there. It would seem expedient to state your intention to be partisan than to appear neutral. It ensures that aspirants never cease to take your influence for granted and still continue to seek it.

3. The candidate who can garner the most SUPPORT and VOTES will win:
This is the Cicero certified approach of ambiguity that is most impressively executed by Tinubu. 2000 years ago, Quintus Cicero advised his brother Marcus in his political quest to “Stick to vague generalities” in an attempt to please all parties involved as previously noted; the forest that includes; APC as a party and its myriad of interests and the current aspirants amongst other trees.

A historical precedence exists that must be factored in; APC is not the regional party formerly known as ACN anymore, which was known for its practice of imposition. This is a new party with numerous interests. On one hand, Tinubu’s clear and yet ambiguous message to the aspirants is that I am not the only one you have to please BUT, you have to please me because my influence matters (this is why statement number 2 was not made). It is telling other external interests (The Federal Government, Atiku and the New PDP etc) that look, i’m not about to mess up what we have built over the last year and a half by going against our new norm of open and fair primaries throughout the country . I’m a team player. He is finally also not destroying an innocent man’s ambition (the allegedly “imposed” aspirant) because of an unsubstantiated claim which even the state’s executive denies (This is why statement number 1 was not made). We wager that the party leadership knows a lot more about this imposition story than we are getting in newspapers.

Ultimately, the real take home message is the guarantee of a free and fair primary in the state and we wager that Tinubu is still consulting widely and forging alliances with other key stakeholders in order to determine who he will ideally support. Or to take his words from his letter;
As a veteran in the political arena, I do not make important decisions lightly. I make final political decisions and calculations on my own after deep reflections and consultation with many people from many perspectives

As reactions continue to focus the nation on Ondo State, the forest that is the APC must thread carefully in order to prevent a falling out amongst its stable of aspirants. It is believed this was the primary reason for the Party’s failure in 2012 when Akeredolu was supported. We must believe that the APC and especially Tinubu has learned from its past failures. This latter seems to support our assertion.

Source: https://ondofortruth.com/breaking-down-tinubus-letter-does-lack-of-denial-mean-endorsement-of-abraham-1cce288cc702#.pbvnt96zt
Re: Tinubu’s Letter: Does Lack Of Denial Mean Endorsement Of Abraham? by Samtob90(m): 12:55am On Aug 17, 2016
Why do you people like bringing fault from where there is none? As a party leader, he has the right to support whoever he desires and that is nobody's problem. If he is chosen as a delegate, he has the right to vote for whoever he desires and has the right to tell his friends and followers to vote whoever he likes just that he can't force them.
Re: Tinubu’s Letter: Does Lack Of Denial Mean Endorsement Of Abraham? by raumdeuter: 1:27am On Aug 17, 2016
If you are not satisfied with Tinubus practices then dont join his party

Every election people would join Tinubus party and complain of the same thing every time
Re: Tinubu’s Letter: Does Lack Of Denial Mean Endorsement Of Abraham? by NairaandNigeria: 1:53am On Aug 17, 2016
Tinubu this, Tinubu that. All they are trying to do is to show that they are afraid of going into primary. One he can only talk but since there will be election, you can prove whatever he says wrong. But the fear is that you can't cast off his word irrespective of where he speaks it. That proves him to be a leader that can be followed. Honestly you have generated more popularity for him as a man. But have ever noticed that this man knows how to pick the best performer among people? If you don't know, go to Lagos and they will tell you how fashola and Ambode were his candidates beat the imagination. The problem with you guys that you are afraid that possibility of his candidate winning is very high and not to any influence in your state. But there must be a leader who will always take responsibilities of good or bad government. Lagos will even prefer his candidature to any other person because of the progress and prosperity they have been witnessing
Re: Tinubu’s Letter: Does Lack Of Denial Mean Endorsement Of Abraham? by mikolo80: 3:22am On Aug 17, 2016
Doesn't have the right to endorse?

(1) (Reply)

Security Men Bar Ezekwesili, Others From Seeing Buhari / Buhari’s Feeding Program In A Ditch, Grants Billions Of Naira Secret Egg Importa / Refrain From Selling Warplanes To Buhari - Tom Marino Urges US Govt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.