Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,205 members, 7,818,701 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:05 PM

Atheism Is A Belief - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism Is A Belief (1485 Views)

Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief / Conclusion : Atheism Is So Illogical , The Atheist Delusion / Atheism Is Dying! Currently On Life Support! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheism Is A Belief by winner01(m): 11:38pm On Aug 16, 2016
If you’re familiar with internet atheism you will have read the atheist’s claim of “I just a lack of belief in a god.” In other words, “atheism isn’t a belief.” This, however, is
questionable since it reduces anything that does not have a specific belief to that of an atheist (dogs, babies, rocks etc.).
Essentially, on his redefinition the atheist isn’t saying anything. What believers have noted, however, is that atheists only redefine their atheism to escape the responsibility of having to give reasons for being an atheist;
philosopher William Craig explains:

“Such a re-definition of the word “atheist” trivializes the claim of the presumption of atheism, for on this definition, atheism ceases to be a view. It is merely a psychological state which is shared by people who hold various views or no view at all. On this re-definition, even babies, who hold no
opinion at all on the matter, count as atheists!” and that such atheists simply try to “to shirk their epistemic responsibility by re-defining atheism so that it is no longer a view but just a psychological condition which as such makes no assertions.
They are really closet agnostics who want to claim the mantle of atheism without shouldering its responsibilities” .
But it goes beyond solely this. It is also the dogmatism of the atheist that clearly betrays his redefinition; Tyler Vela articulates: “They get to hold their atheism dogmatically and
even possibly “religiously” – having conventions, conferences, publishing journals and periodicals, dedicating books, marketing for the belief in unbelief, forming societies,
having weekly/monthly gatherings (worship services?), all while saying that it is not actually a belief”.

It does not make sense that people would engage in these activities based on their lack of a belief in something.
Instead, atheists engage in these activities because they are part of a community that does not believe in God, a community espousing atheism and its alleged truths, and a minority community that wishes to proudly promote its identity. Vela continues: “the fact that atheists commonly label themselves “atheists”, (and ascribe attributes to such a
label, such as rationalism, empirical validity, etc.) reveals that functionally speaking “atheism” may in fact actually be what people say that it isn’t – a belief; a system of
thought”.

Professor Stephen Prothero likewise explains that “Many atheists are quite religious, holding their views about God with the conviction of zealots and evangelizing with verve …
It stands at the center of their lives, defining who they are, how they think, and with whom they associate. The question of God is never far from their minds”.

The Christian may therefore argue that although he does not believe that atheism is a religion (as some theists claim), he does view it as the positive affirmation that God does not exist (The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy puts atheism as: “the negation of theism, the denial of the existence of God”). Atheism is thus a belief, as the atheist George Klein writes: “I am an atheist. My attitude is not based on science, but rather on faith. . . The absence of a Creator, the
non-existence of God is my childhood faith, my adult belief, unshakable and holy”.

Where there is faith it is reasonable to hold that there is belief. Andy Bannister concludes: “Whether or not it is a religion, atheism, certainly is a belief, a positive claim, just as much as the claim ‘Sweden doesn’t exist’ and positive claims need to be argued for. That can take time and effort but if the claim is true, the hard work will presumably pay off.
Sometimes however, I’m afraid, I encounter atheists who seem to prefer to simply deconstruct the worldview of others without bothering to put in the effort to defend their own”

https://jamesbishopblog./2016/06/01/atheism-is-a-belief/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism Is A Belief by Lorechino(m): 11:42pm On Aug 16, 2016
Someone Should Summarize That In Two Sentences. Am Making A Common Sense
Re: Atheism Is A Belief by Nobody: 12:06am On Aug 17, 2016
Here we go again, your obsession with atheists and atheism is quite disturbing.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Is A Belief by winner01(m): 12:19am On Aug 17, 2016
Joshuabase:
Here we go again, your obsession with atheists and atheism is quite disturbing.
Freethinker huh? You sound more like a blind follower.

Ill consider taking you seriously the day you say the same about atheists who constantly open threads on christianity.

4 Likes

Re: Atheism Is A Belief by Nobody: 12:33am On Aug 17, 2016

11 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Atheism Is A Belief by winner01(m): 1:01am On Aug 17, 2016
AmenRa1:
Read with an open mind, mba!!

Jus read topic and disagree since its not in line with my atheistic beliefs. You need help!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism Is A Belief by ichommy(m): 1:19am On Aug 17, 2016
Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do.. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! ..But He loves you... grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism Is A Belief by hopefulLandlord: 1:26am On Aug 17, 2016
ichommy:
Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do.. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! ..But He loves you... grin

Jesus was a jewish carpenter who was the deluded bastard son of an acclaimed virgin who was lied to by his mother that God impregnated her and who ended up believing it and allowing himself to be crucified only to realize his folly on the cross then crying out to his imaginary father in heaven asking why he has forsaken him.
This same man is called the lion of the tribe of judah while he was even weaker than a sheep, he goes around making statement like he is the king of the jews and even telling the priests that he will pull down their temples and rebuild it in 3 days and when asked to do that claimed that he isnt talking about the temple but his body.

But romans no de carry last them beat nonsense commot for him body and his apostle stole his body and claimed he rose up on the 3rd day and went to heaven and na only the see am, even the mother did not see him self

6 Likes

Re: Atheism Is A Belief by Nobody: 1:36am On Aug 17, 2016
winner01:
Read with an open mind, mba!!

Jus read topic and disagree since its not in line with my atheistic beliefs. You need help!
I m not the one that need help bro m not the one that created more than 40threads on atheism!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheism Is A Belief by Nobody: 1:42am On Aug 17, 2016
grin

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Atheism Is A Belief by winner01(m): 1:44am On Aug 17, 2016
ichommy:
[Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do.. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! ..But He loves you... grin
hopefulLandlord:

Jesus was a jewish carpenter who was the deluded bastard son of an acclaimed virgin who was lied to by his mother that God impregnated her and who ended up believing it and allowing himself to be crucified only to realize his folly on the cross then crying out to his imaginary father in heaven asking why he has forsaken him.
This same man is called the lion of the tribe of judah while he was even weaker than a sheep, he goes around making statement like he is the king of the jews and even telling the priests that he will pull down their temples and rebuild it in 3 days and when asked to do that claimed that he isnt talking about the temple but his body.
But romans no de carry last them beat nonsense commot for him body and his apostle stole his body and claimed he rose up on the 3rd day and went to heaven and na only the see am, even the mother did not see him self
Okay. We've heard these versions of strawmen before. Do you people even have anything new to say?

2 Likes

Re: Atheism Is A Belief by winner01(m): 1:47am On Aug 17, 2016
AmenRa1:

I m not the one that need help bro m not the one that created more than 40threads on atheism!
Lol. I nor dey this section for 2 reasons oo. I've realized what this section is for and so I dont wanna waste my time. As long as i'm here and have the spare time, many more topics exposing atheism's coming your way. Its still funny you've never said a word to atheists who constantly create threads on christianity.

Ladies and gents. This is the objectivity of atheism in action.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheism Is A Belief by hopefulLandlord: 1:50am On Aug 17, 2016
AmenRa1:

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism Is A Belief by Ranchhoddas: 2:23am On Aug 17, 2016
Oh God!! Not again!!

2 Likes

Re: Atheism Is A Belief by Nobody: 6:06am On Aug 17, 2016
winner01:
Freethinker huh? You sound more like a blind follower.

Ill consider taking you seriously the day you say the same about atheists who constantly open threads on christianity.

Here's the situation - there are a lot of atheists on nairaland who open atheist threads but individually none of them have opened more threads than you. It's like you're trying to individually take on all nairaland atheists.

Now, back to the part where I said you were obsessed.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism Is A Belief by Richirich713: 6:27am On Aug 17, 2016
Religion: Share your faith and belief in God or higher powers here.

grin
Re: Atheism Is A Belief by Weah96: 6:50am On Aug 17, 2016
I could've saved you the long post, Winner01. Atheism is a belief. The belief that your god is not real.

What is the point of the thread?

2 Likes

Re: Atheism Is A Belief by winner01(m): 9:18am On Aug 17, 2016
Joshuabase:

Here's the situation - there are a lot of atheists on nairaland who open atheist threads but individually none of them have opened more threads than you. It's like you're trying to individually take on all nairaland atheists.

Now, back to the part where I said you were obsessed.
Does it matter how many threads i've opened?

I'm not taking on anyone oo, Some of you are just trolls, I dont have that much time to spend on Social media. And Its not like my posts are directed at any one of you.

Its just that I feel atheists dont know much about atheism thats why they never talk about it. I can help them talk about what they dont know in my spare time.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Is A Belief by winner01(m): 9:22am On Aug 17, 2016
Weah96:
I could've saved you the long post, Winner01. Atheism is a belief. The belief that your god is not real.

No reasonable person spends his life dwelling on a lack of belief.

Only a belief could be the reason for such bigotry.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheism Is A Belief by winner01(m): 9:32am On Aug 17, 2016
Richirich713:
Religion: Share your faith and belief in God or higher powers here.

grin
No you dont get it. Atheism is not a belief, they just here to share their unbelief.

Or their belief in unbelief.

Or their belief in the existence of no God

Or their belief that people shouls not believe with them.

Atheism is not a belief. Period! angry

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Atheism Is A Belief by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:03am On Aug 17, 2016
winner01:

No you dont get it. Atheism is not a belief, they just here to share their unbelief.

Lmao
Re: Atheism Is A Belief by joseph1832(m): 11:40am On Aug 17, 2016
AmenRa1:
This is hilarious. grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism Is A Belief by Weah96: 2:29pm On Aug 17, 2016
winner01:
No reasonable person spends his life dwelling on a lack of belief.

Only a belief could be the reason for such bigotry.

You're confusing yourself. Do you believe that you possess testicles in your scrotum? Does your belief lead you to bigotry?

This thread is useless. Even you don't know why you opened it.

2 Likes

Re: Atheism Is A Belief by Weah96: 2:33pm On Aug 17, 2016
winner01:

Why did you open this thread? It's like you posted it before you had time to realize its obsolescence.
Re: Atheism Is A Belief by Richirich713: 3:46pm On Dec 24, 2016
grin
Re: Atheism Is A Belief by ScienceWatch: 3:48pm On Jan 12, 2017
winner01:
Does it matter how many threads i've opened?

I'm not taking on anyone oo, Some of you are just trolls, I dont have that much time to spend on Social media. And Its not like my posts are directed at any one of you.

Its just that I feel atheists dont know much about atheism thats why they never talk about it. I can help them talk about what they dont know in my spare time.
Bravo WINNER01, I admire the way you deal with very difficult subjects. Young readers everywhere need your refreshing ideas that can save them from RICHARD DAWKINS, the God-Father of modern atheism and its dangerously deluded followers.

Dawkins is showing all the symptoms of insanity in his new book.

He preaches to his followers that they and their families all were fish.
Re: Atheism Is A Belief by ScienceWatch: 3:56pm On Jan 12, 2017
Weah96:

It seems clear that the OP wants make a valid point but you seem confused. When the OP make the same point you are making, you re-appear confused.

Then the OP changes direction slightly to make room for you, then you jump up and down like you enjoy the confusion.

When the OP finally gets back to your point that God is not real, your response proves to the OP that God must be real to you.
Re: Atheism Is A Belief by sonofthunder: 9:10pm On Jan 12, 2017
winner01:

Lol

(1) (Reply)

Why You Must Reject Christianity And Accept Islam / Picking Lost Money On The Road, Street, Floor Is It Sin / Who Created Mosquitoes? And What Are Their Advantages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.