Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,788 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:56 PM

The making of OluSani AbachaNjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The making of OluSani AbachaNjo (1691 Views)

Suleiman Abba And The Making Of A Partisan Police, By Femi Falana / A Phoenix From The Ocean-the Making Of Eko Atlantic City. / A Revolution In The Making Buhari Bakare (Tears Of Joy) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The making of OluSani AbachaNjo by elbaron(m): 1:30am On Nov 26, 2005
Here is an article I read at the online edition of Vanguard newspaper with the same caption. What do you all think?

We must not allow the nauseating, disappointing, cowardly and criminal escape of DSP Alamieyeseigha from justice in London distract us from a major national crisis that gained more fervour in the last two weeks. DSP Alamieyeseigha who was arrested in London on September 15 by the London Metropolitan Police for alleged money laundering reportedly disguised himself as a woman with lipsticks and all, and escaped to Nigeria on Monday, November 21. That day will remain the day the image of Nigeria received the worst humiliation in the eyes of the world. But I would not let that distract us from the more serious issue of President Obasanjo’s determination to rape the Nigeria constitution in the process of his Third Term project. Nigeria is an ojoro country cornered by ojoro people. When you consider Obasanjo’s Third Term project in details, you would begin to ask yourself, what is the difference between Alamieyeseigha’s behaviour and that of the President? Both enterprises lack honour!

I know many Nigerians will resent that. But we are not great respecters of due process or the rule of the game. Nigerians like ojoro. If there is a prize to be won, Nigerians want to win it by hook or crook, preferably by crook! I follow the controversy over minor issues as who wins the Africa Player of the Year award and all you read are Nigerians whose primary concern is that “our man” must win. You may call that patriotism. But what of the finer question of whether “our man” meets the criteria for winning? This is the “by all means” behaviour that has dogged our elections and has produced irresponsible people in public office. It is this same “by all means” trait that brought the motley crowd that poured into Yenagoa streets on Monday jubilating for Alamieyeseigha’s escape from justice. It is this same “by all means” method that won Obasanjo the election in 1999. It was simply escalated to brazen fraud in 2003. It is the same method that he is using, and will use to secure his Third Term bid, if there is no determined national effort to stop him. It is this “by all means” method, which has made the PDP a national nuisance that will be deployed for the 2007 elections. So why should we allow Alamieyeseigha’s escapade distract us from the making of Abacha out of Obasanjo?

Are Obasanjo, Alamieyeseigha and Dariye not all members of the ruling PDP? Could any thing born of snake afford not to be long? Is this not another “family affair”? And why do people keep showing surprise at the deceptive way the Third Term project is being handled? What is military way of life if not deception? Should it then surprise anybody that Alamieyeseigha was able to deceive the British police and escape? Disguise is after all a form of deception. In 1998, we were berated: how many Presidents do you want to make out of me? And with that, Dr. Alex Ekwueme and the G34 went on building the PDP only for Gen. Obasanjo to emerge as presidential candidate and later proceeded to flush out the founding fathers of the party one after the other, each victim being used first against his colleagues! Now, having used a so-called re-validation of membership registration to flush out perceived opponents of the Third Term project, the coast appears clear for a grand ojoro on a national scale.

The more disturbing aspect of this Abachalisation of Obasanjo, which for now appears rather imperceptible to many people, is that it comes with a constriction of the political space. The disenfranchisement that has occurred in the PDP in the form of de-registration of some members is a form of constriction of the political space. In other words, as this project goes on, more and more Nigerians are going to lose their liberties just as it happened with Abacha’s self perpetuation project. The more Nigerians mobilize to resist it as they did to Abacha, the more desperate the hidden persuaders and their client will become and the more insecure the life of some Nigerians, just as was the case under Abacha. As the Third Term Train gathers momentum, more people will jump into it. After all, it is a very attractive IPO in this season of IPOs; invest now and reap huge dividends by way of appointments and contracts in 2007, when (I’ll rather say if) it succeeds!

The more the Third Term contractors work to dismantle the political obstacles in the way of Obasanjo, the more they will de-democratize and render Nigeria politically unstable. And as a result, Nigeria will slip back into a pariah state. I do not see Bush and Blair, who have continued to shun President Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe for using arm-twisting method to perpetuate himself in office, doing business with Obasanjo beyond 2007. The only condition that could warrant such double standard would be an uncontrollable explosion of the Middle East in a way that threatens the West’s oil supply line!
What is happening now shows the depth of hopelessness into which Nigeria has sunk — that the man many people considered our best option at the critical period of post-military dictatorship is the man to lead this assault on the sanctity of our constitution! For a man who savours a snoring reverie about his place in history as Obasanjo does, you would think that he knows when to leave the stage — in a hoopla of klieg lights with thundering ovation! But the man now seeking a Third Term “by all means” is a mutant who has been transformed in the image of the Abacha men of yore, who wants to stay glued to the stage till the light fades, the audience gone and we or unkind fate wrestle him to the ground and drag him off the stage neither kicking nor screaming because he has been reduced to a rag doll!

People are still habouring the illusion that because of his so-called international prestige the President would shake himself out of this bad dream and respect the constitution and go in peace in 2007. Such people are either not seeing or naïve. The self-perpetuation train is following the same track as Ibrahim Babangida’s and Abacha’s. Notwithstanding the decrees outlawing the type of activities engaged by the ABN, did the Babangida government not look the other way while Arthur Nzeribe and his co-travelers sabotaged the transition programme? Was such delinquency not explained as “the rights” of the hired guns to express their opinion? While the same people now goading Obasanjo to a third term were earnestly yearning and shouting for Abacha, did we hear a word from the maximum dictator himself? Was Daniel Kanu’s evil enterprise not explained as his “freedom of expression” oddly enough, by a regime that mercilessly trampled on all forms of freedom? Obasanjo said that he has prepared himself to retire to his Ota farm in 2007. To prove that, he raised N6 billion in two hours, for his presidential library. If people still do not believe that he is ready to go in 2007, he has himself to blame. If he is serious, if he has spoken the truth to Nigerians, all he needs to do today is call the apostles of Third Term to order and unequivocally order them to fold their tents and go away.

What is disturbing in all these is that we are discussing a very fundamental issue that affects the future of our country from the perspective of one political party only, the PDP. It is as if we have signed off the nation to the PDP to do as it likes, and it has not done very well with it. Look at the shame they have brought to the country. All the scandals about this country since 1999, all the heating up of the polity and all the embarrassment of the nation emanate from the PDP. And they strut about town shamelessly while pretending to be such great patriots doing such wonderful things for the nation; only we, the emasculated people are the problem! And these bad behaviours are what they want to consolidate! We must ponder what will become of democracy in this country with another eight or twelve years of Obasanjo and his PDP in power. We must ponder what will be left of the economy in another eight or twelve-year consolidation of what it has become in the last six years!

This theory of consolidation is a lie told by greedy politicians. Sustainability of policies is what we should be talking about. If a policy is not sustainable, it is either that it is bad from the beginning or lacked an institutional framework. This point about institution building and empowerment was made to the President as far back as 1999! Obasanjo may talk of Due Process. That is good. If it has an institutional framework, its sustainability needs not depend on an individual. But that is not to say that government transactions can still not be more transparent. There is still too much money budgeted for overheads, which find their way into private pockets of civil servants, while on the other hand, those who have not stolen are made to regret not stealing when they had the opportunity. There is still no incentive for upright public servants. This government has still not devised how to show Nigerians the benefits of serving your country diligently and honourably. He has secured us a great debt relief. This PDP administration has failed in more areas than it has succeeded. When I look at the roads in the East and the mockery Obasanjo has made of the entire East in the last six years, consolidation begins to look like a life sentence turned into death sentence! Is it the failure to redeem his promise to the nation in respect of power generation that he wants to consolidate? Is it the railways or the aviation industry? Or the bad example the PDP has been? So when you begin to examine this consolidation theory more critically it begins to assume the character of a grand, national deceit!
It is possible that common sense may not dissuade the President from this doomed enterprise. The Nigerian people may also not dissuade him. But I have a strong feeling that history will stop him. He should look at the history of overstay or illegal stay in power in Nigeria. They all came to peril.

This article can be found at http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/politics/november05/25112005/p425112005.html
Re: The making of OluSani AbachaNjo by hotangel2(f): 2:24am On Nov 26, 2005
I think i will only read that if i have to do it for an extra credit in my sociology or government class.
Re: The making of OluSani AbachaNjo by elbaron(m): 2:38am On Nov 26, 2005
Is there any special reason for that?
Re: The making of OluSani AbachaNjo by icingbaby(f): 2:40am On Nov 26, 2005
i can't read this, is too long. i would have love to. cheesy
Re: The making of OluSani AbachaNjo by elbaron(m): 12:28pm On Nov 26, 2005
Icingbaby, I did mention that it is a newspaper article. There is also a link to the article provided. There is something I am dont seem to understand here. When is an article defined as too long? Does it make less sense if it is too long? Is it not better to make it too long and get all the facts straight? Well, if you think it too long, how about you just move on?

Believe me, this "Too long" complaint is begining to sound boring. If you decide to read short articles, do so and quit dissing other people's efforts. This sort of attitude dampens people's spirits. Like my signature says: If you dont like the way I drive, get off the side walk. Aint it that simple?
Re: The making of OluSani AbachaNjo by Akolawole(m): 2:37pm On Nov 26, 2005
What kind of Article is this?
Is it equating Abacha, OBJ and DSP ?
What a Country and What a Writer?
Re: The making of OluSani AbachaNjo by bani(m): 10:22am On Nov 28, 2005
elbaron u have to realise that in Nigeria the reading culture has totally moreso when its online. the minds of dis days would preferable lok for entertainment online and the financial aspect also sets in, cos u have to realise most people are browsing from cafes and they are paying for it smiley. so bear wit d issue of long story
Re: The making of OluSani AbachaNjo by elbaron(m): 11:24am On Nov 28, 2005
Thank you Bani, I shall certainly bear that in mind
Re: The making of OluSani AbachaNjo by elbaron(m): 9:30pm On Nov 28, 2005
Our basic problem is that we sycophants. Until we set our priorities right and stop voting money. Until we start voting people and ideologies instead of parties, we will keep having this problem.
Re: The making of OluSani AbachaNjo by Nobody: 10:39pm On Nov 28, 2005
re: idiots in power

He said “What we are seeing now is worse than what happened in General Sani Abacha government. The level of theft, corruption, abuse of human rights are worse than Abacha time. There are more killings in this government than we had in Abacha”.

“the present government needs to apologise to Nigerians for failing the Nigerian people, for flagrant abuse of power and resources and for the poverty in the land.
“There is hunger in the land, there is so much insecurity. There is brazen wastage of expenditure now and yet nothing is on ground to show for it Where is the water, where are the roads, where is the electricity in which billions of naira is being spent.
Whatever you may say about General Sani Abacha, at least there was security then. There is no security now.

Alhaji Gambo Jimeta
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=34462

Is that man on this planet at all? which security was he refering to during the abacha regime?
is he accusing abachanjo of killing who and with what killing squad!
pple like this are the type who shld npt be seen in the cycle of progressive nigerians yet these political jobbers, any-government in power, pple are still pretending to be democrats. was he not one of those that claimed nigeria would collapse if abacha did not hold on to power?
Was hunger absent in the land while abacha was in power? why did he not challenge abacha for the water, roads and electricity he claims to be clamouring for now? is he clamouring on the side of the ordinary nigerian or just to be seen as one of those "democrats" who campaigned on the side of popular oppinion?

pple like that shld please spare us the trouble of seeing thier rumps in public. they do not have any ideologies but have eyes only for our loot.
Re: The making of OluSani AbachaNjo by Ruddyface(f): 11:11pm On Dec 16, 2008
Too long a letter, too little a sense.
Re: The making of OluSani AbachaNjo by asha80(m): 11:32pm On Dec 16, 2008
Olisiego Obulusonjo grin tongue

(1) (Reply)

Great Video About The Making Of The Obudu Cable Car / National Anti-corruption Volunteer Corps (navc). / Nuhu Ribadu Video Interview With Us Journalist: Very Interesting!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.