Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,628 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:54 PM

Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis (3646 Views)

Coffin ''Refuses'' To Enter Zambian Church Building For Burial (Photos) / Charles Obong Buried With N17M In Uganda To Bribe God To Enter Into Heaven / How To Read Your Bible Without Getting Confused - Paul Ellis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:10pm On Aug 19, 2016
What is the narrow gate? You probably know the answer to this question – the narrow gate is Jesus – but what does it mean to find the narrow gate, and why did Jesus say many would try to enter and fail?

Make every effort to enter through the narrow gate, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. (Luke 13:24)

As kids in Sunday School, we learned about the broad and narrow roads. We understood that there was a freeway to hell and nearly everybody was on it. There was also a narrow way to life, a secret passage that few would find. But Jesus said the narrow gate isn’t just hard to find, it’s hard to enter : “Many will try to enter and will not be able to.”
That’s the first puzzle: why is Jesus hard to enter? And here’s the second:

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. (Matt 7:13-14)
Why there are two gates? Shouldn’t there be only one gate? Aren’t we all born on a highway to hell? Aren’t we all lost unless we stumble onto the secret turn-off?

Behind door number 1…

Apparently that Sunday School picture is not quite right. Religion says you were born hellbound but Jesus says you get to choose : You can choose the broad or narrow gate. One leads to death, the other leads to life. A narrow gate, such as you might find in a city wall, is basically a door. Jesus is the door to life:

I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. (John 10:9, NKJV)
Jesus said many will try to enter the door and not be able to. The picture is of multitudes coming to the door of Jesus – they’ve heard about him – and they’re wanting to enter, but they can’t get in. The reason they can’t enter is because outside the door there is a bouncer called Religion. This bouncer is a bully and a thug and he speaks the devil’s lies
:
“You can’t come in here looking like that! You need to get cleaned up before you can approach the Lord.”

“Are you sure you want to do this because the way is narrow and hard and only the best make it. You don’t look good enough.”

“Entering is not easy. You have to strive to the point of agony and work hard every day to stay the course. We’re looking for marathon runners and you look like you can barely stand. Come back when you’re stronger.”

These are damnable lies but they are effective. Just look at all the people turning away with sorrow. “It’s true, I am a failure. I’m not good enough for God. I need to work before he will accept me.” Instead of entering through the door of Jesus they choose the door of self-trust. Like Adam they believe the lie and choose the way of death.

The narrow gate is not hard to enter because God has high standards. (He does have high standards, but Jesus has met them all on your behalf!) The narrow gate is hard to enter because people are slow of heart to believe the good news and quick to believe the lies of self-made religion. “I am a mess. How could I approach a holy God in this sorry state? I need fig leaves.”

Instead of coming into the House of Grace and getting all their needs met by Jesus, they’re stuck outside trying to clean themselves. Instead of beholding the Lamb, they are beholding themselves. Instead of focusing on Christ and his sublime perfections, they are distracted by themselves and their imperfections.

Strive to enter

Why did Jesus say only a few find the narrow door (in Matt 7:14)? Because in the Sermon on the Mount Jesus was preaching to those under the law, and when you live under the law, especially a watered-down version of the law that makes you believe you can qualify on your own merits, you will have trouble finding the door of grace. Exhibit A: The Pharisees. They didn’t find the door because they weren’t even looking for it.

And why did Jesus exhort us to strive to enter the narrow gate (in Luke 13:24)? He is not saying we must strive in the flesh to overcome sin and pass the test. We strive to enter the narrow gate for the same reason we strive to enter his rest (Heb 4:11). It takes effort because walking by faith doesn’t come naturally to us. It’s the nature of the flesh to take control and make things right. (Fig leaves, again.) It takes effort to resist the flesh and allow our hearts to be established in God’s word.

There are two doors, two gates, and two voices. One speaks truth and the other speaks lies. One says, “Come to me all and I will give you rest,” and the other says, “Did God really say…?” One speaks the words of eternal life and the other speaks the words of death.

The narrow gate is hard to enter because our flesh (our sight and understanding) has trouble receiving grace. Our flesh wants to follow Adam. “Don’t worry God, I got this. I can take care of myself.” And the result is death.

We can only enter the narrow gate by faith. “Lord, I don’t got this. I need your help.” And as we receive his grace and abide in the restful persuasion that Jesus has got this , the result is life.

https://escapetoreality.org/2016/06/23/narrow-gate-hard-to-enter/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by Nobody: 7:37pm On Aug 19, 2016
ur question seems bored in d ear, anƴway to cut the long story short, narrow way seems hard cos its full of restrictions like dnt commit adultery, dnt steal, dnt lie, forgive those who hurt u, love ur enemies, judge not, dnt wear this dnt wear that which seems hard for many to follow. only few can do them. mat10 explains how disciples of christ will be hated persecuted and killed bt only those who are faithful to death and endure to d end will be saved, many churches hv left pursuit of heaven for money and prosperity, dats d reason why few enter d narrow gate,
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:42pm On Aug 19, 2016
shegzyvic:
ur question seems bored in d ear, anƴway to cut the long story short, narrow way seems hard cos its full of restrictions like dnt commit adultery, dnt steal, dnt lie, forgive those who hurt u, love ur enemies, judge not, dnt wear this dnt wear that which seems hard for many to follow. only few can do them. mat10 explains how disciples of christ will be hated persecuted and killed bt only those who are faithful to death and endure to d end will be saved, many churches hv left pursuit of heaven for money and prosperity, dats d reason why few enter d narrow gate,
you did not even read the article.... the poster explained everything through the lense of grace.....

1 Like

Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by HCpaul(m): 11:42pm On Aug 19, 2016
I can't just believe that a road leading to the Almighty Heaven can be narrow. Every real kingdom usually plan a broader route and not a narrow one. That is where the delusion of the kingdom starts.

1 Like

Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 3:05pm On Jul 31, 2018
I see grace...
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:20pm On Jul 31, 2018
Good evening
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by AlexRi(f): 6:40pm On Jul 31, 2018
HCpaul:
I can't just believe that a road leading to the Almighty Heaven can be narrow. Every real kingdom usually plan a broader route and not a narrow one. That is where the delusion of the kingdom starts.
So, if I say, HCpaul 'played the ostrich', do I now mean you played like an ostrich cos you're one? You see, you'll always get it wrong if you take Jesus' words literal because sometimes they ain't. Sometimes His words are fugurative and some other times literal, the wisdom here is for you to know when to draw the line and if you can't you can always ASK. The Hausas say 'mai tambaya baya batawa'. Shalom man.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by AlexRi(f): 6:44pm On Jul 31, 2018
Jesus the ONLY true way to life. Brother, God bless you for this wonderful piece.
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 9:14pm On Jul 31, 2018
AlexRi:
Jesus the ONLY true way to life. Brother, God bless you for this wonderful piece.
Thanx alot. I appreciate.
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:38pm On Aug 01, 2018
I see grace
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:20am On Aug 02, 2018
Morning.........
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 5:50pm On Aug 02, 2018
Oh Lord Jesus you are worthy!!
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 5:29pm On Nov 16, 2018
Thank you so much my Lord and saviour Jesus Jesus Christ!!
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:09am On Nov 17, 2018
Now....
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 1:32pm On Nov 17, 2018
Afternoon
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:30pm On Nov 17, 2018
Evening
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 9:01pm On Nov 17, 2018
Now
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:33am On Nov 18, 2018
Morning
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 11:55am On Nov 18, 2018
Now
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 9:31pm On Nov 21, 2018
Now...
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:49am On Nov 29, 2018
Morning
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 10:13pm On Nov 30, 2018
Cool
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:32am On Dec 02, 2018
Now
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 2:43pm On Dec 02, 2018
Afternoon
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 10:42am On Feb 21, 2019
Good
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:21pm On Feb 21, 2019
Yes
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 10:36pm On Feb 21, 2019
Good
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:10am On Feb 22, 2019
Now
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 5:48pm On Feb 22, 2019
Cool
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 9:09am On Feb 23, 2019
Now
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:01pm On Feb 27, 2019
Loook
Re: Why Is The Narrow Gate Hard To Enter? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:42am On Mar 03, 2019
Good morning Lord Jesus

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CCCC / God Is Testing You? What Nonsense. / The Religious Leader Who Convinced 909 People To Commit Suicide(photos, VIDEO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.