Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,764 members, 7,809,940 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:33 PM

The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons (4708 Views)

What Is The Book Of Enoch And Should It Be In The Bible? / Is The Book Of Proverbs The Best Book In The Bible? / Nairaland Book Of Proverbs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by plusQueen: 6:51pm On Oct 01, 2008
Do you know the book of proverbs in the Bible has so many wise sayings that applies to everyday life.
You may actually save yourself heartaches by heeding those words.
I just love the scriptures.
Do you know the Bible talks of being a surety for other people's loans and warns against such.

"Only a man with no sense would promise to be responsible for someone else's debts" (Proverbs 19:18)

"Don't promise to be responsible for someone else's debts. If you should be unable to pay, they will take away even your bed" (Proverbs 22:26)

Great words of wisdom.

Please share yours
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by huxley(m): 6:58pm On Oct 01, 2008
plus_Queen:

Do you know the book of proverbs in the Bible has so many wise sayings that applies to everyday life.
Do you know the Bible talks of being a surety for other people's loans and warns against such.

"Only a man with no sense would promise to be responsible for someone else's debts" (Proverbs 19:18)

"Don't promise to be responsible for someone else's debts. If you should be unable to pay, they will take away even your bed" (Proverbs 22:26)

Great words of wisdom.

Please share yours

Pardon me, but is this not exactly what the claim Jesus did, promised to be responsible for our debts(sins)? Or did Jesus never read Proverbs?
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by huxley(m): 7:03pm On Oct 01, 2008
I think you also need to show George W Bush these verse, since he is trying to put through plan for the US government to be responsible for the debts of the banks.

Why would a sensible christian president do something so "foolish" as this?
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by plusQueen: 7:13pm On Oct 01, 2008
A lot of Nigerians may need to hear this one.

"Don't take bribes and you will live longer" (Proverbs 15:27)
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by plusQueen: 7:15pm On Oct 01, 2008
It admonishes fools to sharap!

"After all, even a fool may be thought wise and intelligent if he stays quiet and keeps his mouth shut" (Proverbs 17:27)
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by plusQueen: 7:18pm On Oct 01, 2008
and for the over eaters amongst us.

"Never eat more honey than you need ; too much may make you vomit" (Proverbs 25:16)
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by KarmaMod(f): 7:20pm On Oct 01, 2008
plus_Queen:

Great words of wisdom.

Please share yours

Well at least I now have an excuse anytime Im asked to be a cosigner tongue
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by plusQueen: 7:20pm On Oct 01, 2008
For the adulterers and fornicators in da house

"A man can hire a prostitute for the price of a loaf of bread, but adultery will cost him all he has" (Proverbs 6:26)
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by davidylan4(m): 7:20pm On Oct 01, 2008
huxley:

Pardon me, but is this not exactly what the claim Jesus did, promised to be responsible for our debts(sins)? Or did Jesus never read Proverbs?

Proverbs 10:23 It is as sport to a fool to do mischief: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.

Proverbs 10:13 Wise words come from the lips of people with understanding,but those lacking sense will be beaten with a rod.
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by plusQueen: 7:22pm On Oct 01, 2008
davidylan*:

Proverbs 10:23 It is as sport to a fool to do mischief: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.

Proverbs 10:13 Wise words come from the lips of people with understanding,but those lacking sense will be beaten with a rod.

ROFL
I liked the koboko/bulala part
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by JeSoul(f): 7:22pm On Oct 01, 2008
This proverb always comes to my mind whenever I'm hanging out with friends, especially girl-friends smiley

Proverbs 10:19
When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.

and this one I distinctly remember was played before my very eyes, when we heard Abacha was dead, see celebration!
Pr 11:10
When the righteous prosper, the city rejoices;
      when the wicked perish, there are shouts of joy.
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by JeSoul(f): 7:24pm On Oct 01, 2008
KarmaMod:

Well at least I now have an excuse anytime I'm asked to be a cosigner tongue
hehe . . . I was thinking the exact thing cheesy what better excuse than to quote bible? cool
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by plusQueen: 7:24pm On Oct 01, 2008
For the cheating husbands out there

"The lips of another man's wife may be as sweet as honey and her kisses as smooth as olive-oil, but when it is all over, she leaves you nothing but bitterness and pain. She will take you down to the world of the dead ; the road she walks is the road to death" (Proverbs 5:3)
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by JeSoul(f): 7:25pm On Oct 01, 2008
davidylan*:

I can think of one person on this thread that could use a good rod-spanking . . .  cool
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by davidylan4(m): 7:28pm On Oct 01, 2008
For those who like to sleep till Jesus comes . . .

Proverbs 6:9 How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? when wilt thou arise out of thy sleep?
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by JeSoul(f): 7:31pm On Oct 01, 2008
I have seen this proverb true too many times in life. It is a worthy one to arm oneself with:

Pr15: 1 A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by plusQueen: 7:31pm On Oct 01, 2008
KarmaMod:

Well at least I now have an excuse anytime I'm asked to be a cosigner tongue

and if you don already enter.The Bible gives you some tips on what to do.

Proverbs 6

1 My son, if you guarantee a loan for your neighbor or pledge yourself for a stranger with a handshake,
2 you are trapped by the words of your own mouth, caught by your own promise.

3 Do the following things, my son, so that you may free yourself, because you have fallen into your neighbor's hands: Humble yourself, and pester your neighbor.
4 Don't let your eyes rest or your eyelids close.

5 Free yourself like a gazelle from the hand of a hunter and like a bird from the hand of a hunter.

In order words give the person no sleep,call him constantly ,show up,call the authorities,keep hounding the "son of a gun" day in day out say you no want again until he lets you off
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by plusQueen: 7:36pm On Oct 01, 2008
davidylan*:

For those who like to sleep till Jesus comes . . .

Proverbs 6:9 How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? when wilt thou arise out of thy sleep?
see how the God's word translation puts it.

How long will you lie there, you lazy bum? When will you get up from your sleep?
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by plusQueen: 7:39pm On Oct 01, 2008
Those those who want to marry hotfunmi AKA deepzone

proverbs 6 :27

Can a man carry fire in his lap without burning his clothes?

grin
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by plusQueen: 7:47pm On Oct 01, 2008
For those dishonest traders at Ogbete and Dugbe market who use fake cups to measure garri
Prov 11:1
1[b] Dishonest scales are disgusting to the LORD, but accurate weights are pleasing to him[/b]
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by JeSoul(f): 7:57pm On Oct 01, 2008
plus_Queen:

Those those who want to marry hotfunmi AKA deepzone

proverbs 6 :27

Can a man carry fire in his lap without burning his clothes?

grin
hehe Queen you are looking for trouble grin
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by plusQueen: 8:18pm On Oct 01, 2008
JeSoul:

hehe Queen you are looking for trouble grin

LOL
deepzone is ma friend.
we go way back
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by olabowale(m): 8:31pm On Oct 01, 2008
@Plus_Queen: « on: Today at 06:51:42 PM » (My inlaw, at least you didn't call yourself PlussizeQueen)! lol.

Great words of wisdom.

Please share yours

When come when Huxley asked you very important question about it you duck and walk away but say "Sharap!"? Ewoo.

@Davidylan*:

Quote from: huxley on Today at 06:58:00 PM

From whose lips did the two quoted above from Plus_Queen came from, considering the consequences? Chei! lol.
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by olabowale(m): 8:39pm On Oct 01, 2008
@Plus_Queen: Please substitute Sin for Debt! You see that it build up a greater message.

You are on the roll baby. If acada didn't mask your real persona, you would have been a real riot; part sowanbe, part abete woman in Oju olomo oto! and still other parts. I am sure you can divide into more than "2" parts. At least "3" considering the presidence! lol.
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by Lady2(f): 8:41pm On Oct 01, 2008
Pardon me, but is this not exactly what the claim Jesus did, promised to be responsible for our debts(sins)?  Or did Jesus never read Proverbs?

Maybe you misunderstand Jesus' role in salvation?

Well this is one that I absolutely love. It says Warning against rejecting wisdom. Jesus is Wisdom, so I say Warning against rejecting Jesus.

Warning Against Rejecting Wisdom

20 Wisdom calls aloud in the street,
she raises her voice in the public squares;
21 at the head of the noisy streets she cries out,
in the gateways of the city she makes her speech:

22 "How long will you simple ones love your simple ways?
How long will mockers delight in mockery
and fools hate knowledge?

23 If you had responded to my rebuke,
I would have poured out my heart to you
and made my thoughts known to you.

24 But since you rejected me when I called
and no one gave heed when I stretched out my hand,

25 since you ignored all my advice
and would not accept my rebuke,

26 I in turn will laugh at your disaster;
I will mock when calamity overtakes you-

27 when calamity overtakes you like a storm,
when disaster sweeps over you like a whirlwind,
when distress and trouble overwhelm you.

28 "Then they will call to me but I will not answer;
they will look for me but will not find me.

29 Since they hated knowledge
and did not choose to fear the LORD,

30 since they would not accept my advice
and spurned my rebuke,

31 they will eat the fruit of their ways
and be filled with the fruit of their schemes.

32 For the waywardness of the simple will kill them,
and the complacency of fools will destroy them;

33 but whoever listens to me will live in safety
and be at ease, without fear of harm."
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by plusQueen: 8:46pm On Oct 01, 2008
olabowale:

@Plus_Queen: « on: Today at 06:51:42 PM » (My inlaw, at least you didn't call yourself PlussizeQueen)! lol.
When come when Huxley asked you very important question about it you duck and walk away but say "Sharap!"? Ewoo.

@Davidylan*:
From whose lips did the two quoted above from Plus_Queen came from, considering the consequences? Chei! lol.

Prov 17 vs 4
An evildoer listens to wicked lips;
A liar pays attention to a destructive tongue
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by plusQueen: 8:51pm On Oct 01, 2008
davidylan*:

Is your own version of Matthew found in the Book of proverbs?  cheesy

moreover that verse talks about brothers ie believers.
Is huxley my brother?This what the Bible says about him.

Prov 18 :2
A fool does not delight in understanding,
But only in revealing his own mind.
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by tribalist: 9:40pm On Oct 01, 2008
@Plus_Queen

Prov 18 :2
A fool does not delight in understanding,
But only in revealing his own mind.

Why all this ravings and rantings of a lunatic. Why all these horrible and wicked proverbs that have no meaning except to insult and instill hatred in people? Didnt you see other kind worded proverbs in the bible to share with us?

Me thinks you have a sick mind! lipsrsealed
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by olabowale(m): 9:54pm On Oct 01, 2008
@Plus_Queen: « #26 on: Today at 08:46:01 PM »

Quote from: olabowale on Today at 08:31:28 PM

@Davidylan*:

Prov 17 vs 4
An evildoer listens to wicked lips;
A liar pays attention to a destructive tongue

The Evildoer is the one whose lips lies against God and His Messenger roll from!
The liar is the whose tongue will definitely leads him/her astray and ending up in the fire of Hell.

As your inlaw, I dont want you to be either. But if you have ears you will hear my calling to you!
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by olabowale(m): 9:56pm On Oct 01, 2008
@Plus_Queen: Take am easy o. Woman you be huge palava o. lol.
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by jennykadri: 10:25pm On Oct 01, 2008
hahhahahhahahaaaa osisi grin grin grin grin not only did u ignore the first fool on dis thread,u also quoted scriptures to back up d word fool grin grin grin grin
Re: The Book Of Proverbs And It's Life Lessons by reindeer: 11:04pm On Oct 01, 2008
Pro 26:4

Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Had A Rapture Dream / Who Created GOD? / There Is No God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.