Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,074 members, 7,852,658 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 10:59 PM

BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy (30504 Views)

Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant / Economy: Buhari Not Seeking Emergency Powers- Presidency / Emergency Powers Bill: LCCI, MAN, NLC, Others Back Buhari’s Proposals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by vedaxcool(m): 7:43am On Aug 22, 2016
Suprnov3r:

Socio political kini?

Every new president that comes on board is a major transition irrespective of the party. Until you provide plausible ideological and demographic difference between apc and pdp, that argument is null. They are one and the same

The major difference between civilian and military in Nigeria is the constitution. This is the same constitution buhari wants NA to suspend for him. If he didn't suceed before he cant suceed niw

Wow you cannot even read when did PMB demand the constitution be suspended? Read the op properly and not headlines... I can't believe I have been wasting my time with this sort of ignorance.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by sekundosekundo: 7:44am On Aug 22, 2016
Osyabj:

To rescue the economy after 16 years of PDP plundering of over 38 Trillion Naira, shamelessly shut down the refineries in order to import fuel, sabotaged the power sector in order to sell diesel and generators, thereby poluting Nigerians health, awarding contracts and sharing the money without doing the contracts, ...the list in endless.

The economy that was handed to him in 1984 what happened to it. Can you tell me Buhari's achievements since he was born. Buhari lacks ideas but he claims to know it all. Your Buhari did worst than PDP when he overthrew democratically elected government and return Nigeria to military rule which gave room for the likes of Abacha and IBB.

4 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by deathmen12: 7:44am On Aug 22, 2016
Standing5:
Correct!
why correct? what is the diference btwn apc nd pdp? 75percent of this present apc are pdp members who rule under pdp for the past 16yrs and they are still the pple making decision in this apc govt...or does changing your name change who you are? i wonder the kind of change you guys are expecting.

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by Jobos(m): 7:44am On Aug 22, 2016
globe16:

why does it always have to be about oil? Crude oil is not buhari's right! He should create other means of revenue and stop salivating on revenues generated by previous administrations. So countries that don't have crude oil can't survive according to buharinomics? Heck, dog Buhari met more money than obasanjo did on assumption to office and you are here still talking about the past.. What nonsense

Show us your farm so that Buhari can encourage you or you are still waiting for oil money. Wake up , oil is in recession so remove your hope from that sector and look elsewhere.
This what Buhari is seeking to achieve from National Assembly thruogh elastic polilies, which will improve turnaround time.
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by smellingmenses: 7:45am On Aug 22, 2016
amoduganja:

That is why they want to remove Ekweremadu by all means so as to easily get whatever they want.They don't know they are trying to set a dangerous precedent by all the scheming. I know in a few years power will still change hands and the same people supporting this rape of democracy will be the same to shout foul if something similar happens. Of course, it is their lifestyle. Ass licking is allowed so let them continue!!
You're right @Ekweremadu and Saraki also

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by Nobody: 7:46am On Aug 22, 2016
STEWPIDITY RE-DEFINED!...day just break abi?....ill-prepared Phools!

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by globe16: 7:47am On Aug 22, 2016
Jobos:

[s]Show us your farm so that Buhari can encourage you or you are still waiting for oil money. Wake up , oil is in recession so remove your hope from that sector and look elsewhere.
This what Buhari is seeking to achieve from National Assembly thruogh elastic polilies, which will improve turnaround time. [/s]
buhari is trying to move away from oil by wasting billions in searching for oil in lake chad? get sense haba!!

6 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by globe16: 7:47am On Aug 22, 2016
sekundosekundo:

The economy that was handed to him in 1984 what happened to it. Can you tell me Buhari's achievements since he was born. Buhari lacks ideas but he claims to know it all. Your Buhari did worst than PDP when he overthrew democratically elected government and return Nigeria to military rule which gave room for the likes of Abacha and IBB.

3 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by cindyrocks(f): 7:49am On Aug 22, 2016
Can you list the ndividual names of about 20 of them please?
Osyabj:

To rescue the economy after 16 years of PDP plundering of over 38 Trillion Naira, shamelessly shut down the refineries in order to import fuel, sabotaged the power sector in order to sell diesel and generators, thereby poluting Nigerians health, awarding contracts and sharing the money without doing the contracts, ...the list in endless.

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by HARDDON: 7:49am On Aug 22, 2016
Caseless:
I'm saying you've read the wrong story and, that's why I'm asking you to know if you were there. No account pre-84 has said the economy under shagari was rosy before BUHARI took over . He came on a rescue mission , but was truncated by the architect of our modern day problems, IBB .

Ok if he destroyed the economy in 1984, how come pdp could not revive it in 16 years?

History books r wrong, Shagari , IBB n PDP r to blame. Always pointing the accusing fingers @ external forces , never for ones @ urselves!
This is a just a template of some1 with nothng to offer .

If he knew he can't rule n provide positive change, why did he struggle for all those years, failing woefully 3 times?

Btw, where r u right now? Cos it seems ur head is buried on mud n u r typing this from underground so as not to feel what others r feeling n seeing just like ur northern master

Let him resign , he isn't prepared to govern in d first place

3 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by omolola15(m): 7:51am On Aug 22, 2016
Pidggin:

And who destroyed the economy in 1984?

In 1984 how old are you?
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by eph12(m): 7:53am On Aug 22, 2016
Standing5:
Right way to go.
We are already programmed to throw our money outside via import. To reverse it and start mass local production overnight will require capital like any new business venture. We should be greatful we have President who could stop borrowing to pay salary at $45pb- of oil and started saving for projects. This is a big leap from the days of borrowing to pay salary at $55pb+ of oil. Buhari has scored 200%+ already.
With the way things are going very soon the federal will join states in borrowing.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by Jobos(m): 7:54am On Aug 22, 2016
sekundosekundo:

I dont know your age when Buhari took over govt in 1983, but was old enough then to let you know that it was the selfishness and impatient of our father that make the greed overthrew Buhari govt.
No condition is permanent, whatever will be good must pass through difficulty. America did not get where they are in their 100 years. Buhari has barely spent 2 years. Allow him.
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by Nobody: 7:54am On Aug 22, 2016
globe16:

why does it always have to be about oil? Crude oil is not buhari's right! He should create other means of revenue and stop salivating on revenues generated by previous administrations. So countries that don't have crude oil can't survive according to buharinomics? Heck, dog Buhari met more money than obasanjo did on assumption to office and you are here still talking about the past.. What nonsense

its buhari turn,.y shuld it b oil or is it his birth rite,,,is dt even a question or meaningless thot...previous govt survived on water abi...if govt talk of diversifying no b one year thing n ofcuz we nid d oil to live on,,thank God our money r now bin saved as against bin formerly looted ...bin on d right path doesnt mean it gonna b easy but nigerians wil pull thru ,,no tribe can hold us dwn

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by 4words: 7:55am On Aug 22, 2016
umarwy:

Most of these are feasible and seems reasonable.

but the one i strongly disagree with is trucking gas from source to power plant, because if we start that we cannot stop it again. cabal will hijack transportation of gas and wont want to stop

I understand your fear of gas haulage but this seems more feasible for now as the militants have decided to sabotage our pipelines.
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by frisky2good(m): 7:56am On Aug 22, 2016
I can understand that I am suffering and I am bitter about it. What I can't understand is how some people still join this government to blame the previous government for our suffering that started when this government took over. How much did OBJ meet and how much was crude oil? He still paid subsidy. The economy did not crash.

3 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by Pidggin(f): 7:58am On Aug 22, 2016
omolola15:

In 1984 how old are you?

And how old were you? Were you a minister in Buhari's cabinet?

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by Mynd44: 7:58am On Aug 22, 2016
Iceberg3:

the garri producers,are theY immune to the harsh economi? Is the cost of production todai the same it was b4? Judge well.

Sorry but this has been going on for close to 3 years. It is not harh economy, just government policy on cassava exportation
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by Mynd44: 7:59am On Aug 22, 2016
kenny987:

Can this be true? Like seriously? Then the problems of this country are out of this world. I understand we import the most ridiculous of things but not garri that we fry ourselves na...Haba!
I kid you not
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by Pidggin(f): 7:59am On Aug 22, 2016
hexy40:
PDP and Gej, his corruption in the class room as a lecturer is affecting our economy today. They can say nonsense on the news but I wonder if it's in my dream that this administration increased duty heavily on import, now the tax I so ridiculous that local factories are closing down

Buhari takes credit when we win bronze in football but GEJ takes the blame when Buhari's policies fail

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by Pidggin(f): 8:00am On Aug 22, 2016
Caseless:
another farce!

Lol but it wouldn't be a farce if the indices are from Oyegun' mouth grin

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by sarrki(m): 8:03am On Aug 22, 2016
Pidggin:

Buhari takes credit when we win bronze in football but GEJ takes the blame when Buhari's policies fail
No buhari will reform & Diversify the economy .who do you want us to blame for the bad situation we meet our self now
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by chronique(m): 8:04am On Aug 22, 2016
Obj was there,yar'adua was there,jonathan was there and they all worked under the same laws and followed the same laws,and were still able to add their own quota to the development of the nation. Buhari is there now but can't function wth same laws and wants and executive bill passed to give him access to do certain things. We never learn in this country. If this bill is passed,it will aid corruption as govt officials would take advantage of the loop holes that comes wth it. What buhari is asking for,is power to break the rules and regulations that serve as controls to prevent crrupton and gross abuse of powers in awardng of contracts and all that,so as to move the economy forward. As usual,this will be hijacked by the cabals in govt and the result will not be palatable. Now,govt assets will be sold within the shortest possible period to raise cash. How would we be able to know if these assets are being sold at the right value,or being sold at a lower value since most of the bureacratic processes would be ignored to achieve this? Will you just sell a govt property based on it's previous value as shown in the company's balance sheet,or conduct a fresh audit and valuation of the assets,before assigning a value to it? We're creating an avenue for future problems.

4 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by Chiboboski: 8:04am On Aug 22, 2016
Pidggin:

And who destroyed the economy in 1984?
You were not burn then, l guess.
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by happney65: 8:10am On Aug 22, 2016
Osyabj:

And what should Obasanjo have done when he meet a Worse country in 1999?Huunnnn?I will prefer the 16years of PDP to the 2years of repressive government we got..A Govt of Propaganda..A recap of 1984 is loading,You aint seen anything yet..A Man that failed woefully under a Military regime in 1984 when Oil Sold for $30 per barrel na now he go succeed under a democratic dispensation..You Aint seen nothing yet..

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by klassic(m): 8:10am On Aug 22, 2016
kahal29:

BlackSeptember I have been following your comments, seems to me you're just having fun cos I feel you should know better.. ... the real cause of our economic problems now. The problem is not Buhari’s fault nor Jonathan but it accumulated over the years however while it seems that some blame Jonathan is because we made so much money during his Era but unfortunately we didn't get much out it. Having said that I think we should move on and make the best out this bad situation we ve found ourselves.

This is why I support this present initiative of the government to spend our way out of recession. This is keyenesian economics. The present inflationary threat is not a monetary phenomenon (ie what we call demand pull inflation in economics) and so their is little or nothing monetary policy by extension the CBN can do for us now. The current inflation is cost push in nature, fueled by external shocks (fall in oil prices) which is as a result of the import dependent nature of our economy and the scarcity of foreign exchange to meet our huge import demand Thus, we need fiscal policy stimulus which involves massive government expenditure and interventions in the critical sectors of the economy so as to stimulate Aggregate Demand and Lubricate the economy hence every bureaucratic bottleneck should be removed to fastrack the process.

So I plead with you to support the initiative and not play politics with it. However when the time for politics come you can play it to the fullest. I rest my case.

Thanks for this info, though not a student of economics, I had to go back and read from source because I knew it was very long you couldn't have possibly pasted everythig here.
Develeoped countries we all envy today applied this model or theory during the great depression of 1926-1939, during the second world war and during the post world war economic expansion which lasted till the 1970s and more recently during the global economic melt down of 07-08 espeicially USA and Europe.
Also a mentor whose books have impacted greatly on me as a lawyer cum business man was strongly against as it lead to creating floating money. Money not backed by assets or better still paper money and sometimes ends in borrowing again . And if you don't borrow or create equivalent asset to back up the paper money on the long run we might end up like Somali and Zimbabwe. Meaning the naira will become worthless.
On the issue of selling key government assets, such as the refineries , steel companies, etc, I am for it as this will make them more efficient and functional and will also create jobs. But my fear is this, the same old politicians might end up buying them on government arrangee basis and make a mess of them.
Lastly on the Executive Orders/fiat , I am not too down with it, considering Mr. President's aticident. He might abuse it and over abuse it to make people suffer the more or kinda introduce a subtle military regime with it , since this will enable him bypass the extant regulating laws and even the checks by the Legislative arm will be grately reduced. Giving his precedent as the king of the north I am quite concerned.
But it all, it's the major and one of the quickest ways to jump start the economy. Good ideal if there is sincerity of purpose.

@ the person I quoted, just wondering on a lighter note if I can be your mentee. Learnt some new stuffs from your post this morning as I was prompted to do more readings pursuant to your postulations and came across the word stagflation. Never heard of it before now in all honesty. I will be honoured to learn from you sir. Thanks a lot. God bless.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by ETOBIT: 8:10am On Aug 22, 2016
GreatEngineer:
Buhari can't work in a civilian rule. He need degree, so national assembly should give him power to do all those things mentioned up there before he can perform well.
Why did he contest election when he knows he can't work well in a democratic government.

Oya National assembly over to you, Please give Buhari power to do and undo anything without passing through you or due process, so that we will not die of hunger.

We still have a very long way to go.
This is administrative ingenuity, crazy dogmatic policies. After wrecking the economy with his policies, discouraged investors, slow space the flow of economic activities and weaken almost all the sectors in the state. His now advocating for powers to help him expand monetary base or powers to stand out as a dictator since its a civilian government?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by bilazego(m): 8:13am On Aug 22, 2016
Caseless:
you haven't answered my question. You guys have become wealed internet infestation for no other reason than the fact that BUHARI horsewhipped your hero out of power. We are talking about Nigeria...no time to entertain nuisance.

Why do you people also term every criticism of Buhari's policy "hate"? Is it that this government is above mistakes and all knowing?

3 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by vivaciousvivi(f): 8:16am On Aug 22, 2016
I don't see any issues with the above. Why are some of you bikering? Making it sound like he is asking for a totalitarian or dictatorship form of government. Nigeria and Nigerians need this. I even feel the so called vacation should be cut short this year so NASS deliberate on it way before September 12 (my bday btw wink).

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by gloryman91: 8:16am On Aug 22, 2016
I pity this nation of mine,national assembly resuming on sallah day to approve emergency law,back to 1984.

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by tundexijim(m): 8:16am On Aug 22, 2016
BlackSeptember:
You ve ran out of ideas. I'm not here to dwell on the past because you guys brain has been processed to reason like that

My brother u are on a long thing if u think ur decision today won't in one way or the other affect the outcome tommorow.. The past can never be completely ruled out. U think USA will remain as it is today if she had bin reckless in decision making in the past....
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy by ETOBIT: 8:16am On Aug 22, 2016
This is administrative ingenuity, crazy dogmatic policies. After wrecking the economy with his policies, discouraged investors, slow space the flow of economic activities and weaken almost all the sectors in the state. His now advocating for powers to help him expand monetary base or powers to stand out as a dictator since its a civilian government?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Buhari Appoints Malami, Fashola, Others To Engage Twitter Over Ban [FULL LIST] / Fayose Commissions Hunters To Fight Herdsmen (Video) / Banky W Opens Gofundme Campaign Of $100,000 For His Political Campaign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.