Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,439 members, 7,853,894 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 07:38 AM

Ladies Are GEMS: By Lauretta Obakpolo (uniben SUG President) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ladies Are GEMS: By Lauretta Obakpolo (uniben SUG President) (280 Views)

Breaking News!!! UNIBEN Senate Rusticated The SUG President, PRO and other Excos / Uniben Sug Exco Passed A Vote Of No Confidence On The President Over #4,000,000 / Lauretta Obakpolor, UNIBEN's S.U.G President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ladies Are GEMS: By Lauretta Obakpolo (uniben SUG President) by Inspiration(m): 5:04am On Aug 22, 2016
Reflection... Ladies are GEMS, nothing less.

Picking up my virtual pen to dish out this corrective message makes me a happy woman because, the importance of educating women cannot be overemphasized.

Yes, call it feminism, that's what you think but I won't sit down and watch my fellow ladies sink in the ocean of inferiority because our qualifications depicts we were made from man.

I want to use this platform to address some critical issues with regards ladies being seen as lower versions of men and I do hope my fellow ladies will read this with an assurance that we are made from man not to be inferior to him but as a perfect complement for his imperfections. That's why we are the Wonderful Opportunity to create a better Man (WOMAN). Therefore, we are not just 'taken out of man', we are an upgraded version of a man.

I grew up in an environment where the society preached and lived the message that women are to be treated with less priority than men. This mentality swallowed so many ladies that they embraced complacency as a natural niche that God had given them because of their gender. I must confess that I wasn't left out in this group of ladies who suffered such belief. Thank God for a father who understood the importance of treating children equally irrespective of their gender. However, as I grew older, I began to ask questions that I am yet to find answers to... If men should be given priority than women, why is the existence of a man incomplete without a woman? Probably I can't get an answer this time. In reality, I didn't write this piece to debate the topic but take my stand on this that women are better versions of men and should be treated like gems, nothing less.

Leadership before now was seen as the heritage of men especially in Nigeria. It was a no-go area for women because the general belief was that men are meant to lead while the women are to follow and applaud. However, recent happenings with women taking up the role of leadership has changed the face of things as women are now seen as better leaders than men. Let's go down to the family life, of course, the husband's duty is to take good care of the family and ensure their needs are provided but then, the woman is saddled with the responsibility of taking care of the children and training them to be better and responsible by being a typical example to the children. This is the best form of leadership that has ever been practiced and it remains the bedrock for a better nation. Charity they say begins at home, which means, a better Nigeria begins from the home which lies in the hands of a woman. It will be a disaster therefore that women keep quite about the issues of leadership or neglect their responsibility because they are seen as followers and not leaders. It is also necessary to mention the importance of the role of women in nation building haven seen women change the face of systems that men could not for a period of years. Prof. Mrs. Allele Williams was the first female Vice Chancellor in Nigeria. She was recognized for her indelible role played in the educational sector as the Vice Chancellor of the great University of Benin. How about Obby Ezekwesili, former minister of education? Her passion to see a better educational system in Nigeria was enviable. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala was another asset in Nigeria's administrations. Her role as the Minister of Finance is still a standard to be met. Late Dora Akunyili was another female icon who transformed our health sector especially in the area of Pharmacy. Need I mention more example to prove that ladies are GEMS?

continue at

http://unibencampusvilla..com.ng/2016/08/ladies-are-gems-by-lauretta.html?m=1
Re: Ladies Are GEMS: By Lauretta Obakpolo (uniben SUG President) by babyfaceafrica: 6:17am On Aug 22, 2016
Is that all?

(1) (Reply)

Happy New Month / Armed Groups, ISIS, Boko Haram, Sell Female Whatsapp And Other Social Media, / What Crime Did We All Commit That We All Fail After We Have Tried

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.