Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,730 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:18 PM

Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils (6797 Views)

Police Apprehends Supposed Church Rapists Who Rapes During Night Vigils / Why Are Africans Still In Bondage Today? / How Many Night Vigils Does Nigeria Need To Be Great? 10? 1000? 100000? 1m? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by Tobyshegz(m): 9:42pm On Aug 22, 2016
I dont really know if night vigils take place in churches outside africa, but i wanna know why we africans love vigils.
We pray like there is no tomorrow, meanwhile our white folks take church life easy and they hardly do vigils (I strongly doubt).
Nairaland pastors should comman help us here.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by brandonobi(m): 9:56pm On Aug 22, 2016
nigeria is tooooo religious not to go for night vigil.
i dont exactly know d reason for d night vigils but i wuld like to hear someone explain
smiley

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by MutantMetahuman: 9:58pm On Aug 22, 2016
The thing tire person o. Not only vigil, they are obsessed with religion. Religion of their slave masters.

The only time I witnessed night vigil outside the country was a cross over night and it was even before midnight.

But Nigeria, Thursday for my area, cele people are making noise with their loud speaker and die die prayer

Friday night, CAC go start their own.

You just can't sleep without them disturbing the neighborhood.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by Raydos: 10:30pm On Aug 22, 2016
cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by HCpaul(m): 11:40pm On Aug 22, 2016
We just have to bear with them cuz that's African's mentality. They are naturally dull but religion seems to be a better alternative for them. Vigils are just like every other night just that in those nights, you don't actually sleep but eventually wasted the remaining 12hrs you are left with instead of maximizing its limited interval.

The day religious people starts thinking that they are not building a better world is the day that Africa will start moving forward.

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by Tobyshegz(m): 12:11am On Aug 23, 2016
Epp us move this to fp
Cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44, Obinoscopy.
Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by winner01(m): 1:21am On Aug 23, 2016
My brother told me last weekend "Have you noticed that foreigners dont pray long and aggressively as Nigerians "?
Its true.
I think it all boils down to the fact that people tend to be more religious when all else fails.
Our government has made us more religious.
Religion is not the answer, Jesus is

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:35am On Aug 23, 2016
HCpaul:
We just have to bear with them cuz that's African's mentality. They are naturally dull but religion seems to be a better alternative for them. Vigils are just like every other night just that in those nights, you don't actually sleep but eventually wasted the remaining 12hrs you are left with instead of maximizing its limited interval.

The day religious people starts thinking that they are not building a better world is the day that Africa will start moving forward.

They still live better lives than you

North Korea has been with atheism since 1948 yet their economy is moribund , the citizens are being brainwashed , the people live in insularity , their leaders are venal and the crime rate is unreasonably high . People get capriciously executed and religious ones are being used to test new military equipment .

Christian countries - Norway , Switzerland , Denmark - are the wealthiest and most progressive in the world . Russia left atheism and started flourishing . Christians own 55 percent of the global wealth while the rest of the adherents of numerous religions including the atheists , irreligious and the agnostics are left with 45 percent

You atheists excoriate Islamic countries for being backward while atheist countries do worse just to constrain their citizens to adhere to atheistic ideologies . Atheism is backwardness , atheism is mental slavery !

Say no to atheism !

11 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by felixomor: 3:00am On Aug 23, 2016
Please give us credible statistics to show that africans are "obsessed" with night vigils.

Dont just make claims from inside ur head based on ur feelings! sad

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by hopefuLandlord: 3:07am On Aug 23, 2016
felixomor:
Please give us credible statistics to show that africans are "obsessed" with night vigils.

What kinda question is this?

How many continents carry out vigils like churches in Nigeria and Africa do?

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by felixomor: 4:04am On Aug 23, 2016
hopefuLandlord:

You see ur folly? U r busy asking "how many?" yet u want to down play statistics!

Please, how many countries have u been to?

How many in africa have u even been to?

Stop demonstrating ur lack of reeasoning!

It stinks! shocked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by hopefuLandlord: 4:10am On Aug 23, 2016
felixomor:

You see ur folly? U r busy asking "how many?" yet u want to down play statistics!

Please, how many countries have u been to?

How many in africa have u even been to?

Stop demonstrating ur lack of reeasoning!

It stinks! shocked

1 Like

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by felixomor: 4:58am On Aug 23, 2016
grin
Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by felixomor: 4:59am On Aug 23, 2016
[quote author=hopefuLandlord post=48721417][/quote]

grin Exactly, before u interrupted with a foolish self defeating logic!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by Tobyshegz(m): 10:38am On Aug 23, 2016
felixomor:

I dont have pictures to share nor videos to give..
but i have south african and Kenyan friends.
EOD

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by Tobyshegz(m): 10:40am On Aug 23, 2016
hopefuLandlord:

I taya 4 the dude oo.
Even dem Nigerian muslims do vigils.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by felixomor: 10:41am On Aug 23, 2016
Tobyshegz:

I dont have pictures to share nor videos to give..
but i have south african and Kenyan friends.
EOD

Meaning?
Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by HCpaul(m): 4:09pm On Aug 23, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

North Korea has been with atheism since 1948 yet their economy is moribund , the citizens are being brainwashed , the people live in insularity , their leaders are venal and the crime rate is unreasonably high . People get capriciously executed and religious ones are being used to test new military equipment .

Christian countries - Norway , Switzerland , Denmark - are the wealthiest and most progressive in the world . Russia left atheism and started flourishing . Christians own 55 percent of the global wealth while the rest of the adherents of numerous religions including the atheists , irreligious and the agnostics are left with 45 percent

You atheists excoriate Islamic countries for being backward while atheist countries do worse just to constrain their citizens to adhere to atheistic ideologies . Atheism is backwardness , atheism is mental slavery !

Say no to atheism !

Why speaking with all your strength just to defend an idea and wish that will never comes true??

You keep getting it all wrong that atheism is not a doctrine where wars, floods, angelic rape, daughters sleeping with their father's, gambling between god and satan, religious consecrations and ceremonial activities are their major theme.

We are just men who ain't selfish and overwhelmed with the fantasy of life.

You couldn't tell me the realm of life you were before you came into this world but after seeing the fantastic attributes of been simulated into life, you keep inventing fallible theorems to sustain you for living eternally and as a result, you are confidently telling the world the procedure to live forever.

Be sitting your black ass in Africa and be pointing to sane individuals the Creator that created the Cosmo.

We are atheists because we aren't selfish and greedy with life.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by Deicide: 4:44pm On Aug 23, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Why U like lying for Africa??

Church Is different from people JFAH will clarify U on this

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by Deicide: 4:51pm On Aug 23, 2016

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by Deicide: 4:53pm On Aug 23, 2016
winner01:
Religion is not the answer, Zeus is
See how stupid this sounds

1 Like

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by winner01(m): 5:26pm On Aug 23, 2016
Deicide:

See how stupid this sounds
Dont be angry ehn.
Jesus loves you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by Deicide: 5:46pm On Aug 23, 2016
winner01:
Dont be angry ehn.
Jesus loves you.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by winner01(m): 5:54pm On Aug 23, 2016
[quote author=Deicide post=48740405][/quote]No matter what you do, he still cares for your soul.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by Deicide: 6:34pm On Aug 23, 2016
winner01:
No matter what you do, he still cares for your soul.
Devil want Ur Soul Jesus want Ur Soul Abeg Soul Na Food??

1 Like

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by winner01(m): 6:43pm On Aug 23, 2016
Deicide:

Devil want Ur Soul Jesus want Ur Soul Abeg Soul Na Food??
Your life is not meaningless my brother.
Its a struggle, the struggle for a prize.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by Deicide: 7:01pm On Aug 23, 2016
winner01:
Your life is not meaningless my brother.
Its a struggle, the struggle for a prize.
Where did I say it was?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by JFAH: 8:06pm On Aug 23, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Say no to atheism !

Atheism and political idelogoy is to separate things, and further more; your have your facts wrong. Depending on what you mean by the label 'christian', for simplicity we can use the barna group definition (a person who believes in god with a capital 'G', thinks the bible is correct in all its content and goes to church at least once a month) the christian population is about 0.5 % of the Scandinavian population. If you count christians as someone who goes to church at least once every third month (no other qualification needed) its about 5% of the population. If you count 'christians' as someone who things it a cute tradition and like to mark life stages by doing a church wedding, a baptism or similar with a minimal mentioning of supernatural stuff, well its about 60% of the population. The rest is largely simply indifferent to religion. This has been the case for at least the last 70 years or so. In regards of economy your right. We, because I am scandinavian, have about 3% of the worlds GDP, and only have about 0,33 of the worlds population.

In regards of russia your also factually wrong. If you by 'flourishing' means an economy in full on crisis, drastically lowered life expectancy and increased poverty. Yes. They are flourishing.

As said, atheism has no bearing on the political ideologies, but it allows good solid solutions based on actual rational decisions. That helps when developing a nation.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:21pm On Aug 23, 2016
JFAH:

Atheism and political idelogoy is to separate things, and further more; your have your facts wrong. Depending on what you mean by the label 'christian', for simplicity we can use the barna group definition (a person who believes in god with a capital 'G', thinks the bible is correct in all its content and goes to church at least once a month) the christian population is about 0.5 % of the Scandinavian population. If you count christians as someone who goes to church at least once every third month (no other qualification needed) its about 5% of the population. If you count 'christians' as someone who things it a cute tradition and like to mark life stages by doing a church wedding, a baptism or similar with a minimal mentioning of supernatural stuff, well its about 60% of the population. The rest is largely simply indifferent to religion. This has been the case for at least the last 70 years or so. In regards of economy your right. We, because I am scandinavian, have about 3% of the worlds GDP, and only have about 0,33 of the worlds population.

In regards of russia your also factually wrong. If you by 'flourishing' means an economy in full on crisis, drastically lowered life expectancy and increased poverty. Yes. They are flourishing.

As said, atheism has no bearing on the political ideologies, but it allows good solid solutions based on actual rational decisions. That helps when developing a nation.

Norway

Close to 80 percent of the population in Norway are Christians and the officially unaffiliated make up just 13.0% of the population. Norway are historically a Christian country and its conversion started at 1000AD

Switzerland

Another Christian country which is the third most developed country in the world .Christianity came to Switzerland in the 16th century .

Denmark
Christians constitute 80 percent of Denmark’s population with other religions and the non religious are 20 percent of the population . By the 16th century , Christianity was already in Denmark

On communism

Communism is an atheistic ideology and atheism led to the death of millions

https://www.nairaland.com/3286519/communist-leaders-killed-millions-because

Russia
According to the World Bank , in 2013 , Russia's GDP per capita: 14,611.70 USD and its Gross domestic product: 2.097 trillion USD .

Three countries have the irreligious preponderant in Europe ; New Zealand ,France and Netherlands

Atheists constitute just 10-12 percent of Europe's population

And please I don't need to where you came from. Being from wherever does not affect the veracity of my posts and does not imply you are correct .

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by JFAH: 8:31pm On Aug 23, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Norway

Close to 80 percent of the population in Norway are Christians and the officially unaffiliated make up just 13.0% of the population. Norway are historically a Christian country and its conversion started at 1000AD

Switzerland

Another Christian country is the third most developed country in the world .Christianity came to Switzerland in the 16th century .

Denmark
Christians constitute 80 percent of Denmark’s population with other religions and the non religious are 20 percent of the population .
The 8th most developed country in world is Canada which is one of the world’s wealthiest nations and has an economy dominated by the service industry. By the 16th century , Christianity was already in Denmark

On communism

Communism is an atheistic ideology and atheism led to the death of millions

https://www.nairaland.com/3286519/communist-leaders-killed-millions-because

Russia
According to the World Bank , in 2013 , Russia's GDP per capita: 14,611.70 USD and its Gross domestic product: 2.097 trillion USD .

Three countries are notably irreligious in Europe ; New Zealand ,France and Netherlands

Atheists constitute just 10-12 percent of Europe's population
And 60% of swedens population belongs to the former state church... You should perhaps note that Sweden and Norway until recently have had an obligatory state church, so yes, of course they have a large fraction of the population as members. Doesnt mean that the church has had any impact on the society though :-). Latest figure on people that have some sort of belief in *any* supernatural entity in some sort of way is actually 40%. Yet the church has 60% members. How odd. I for instance, am an atheist and have been that for all of my life, but on paper I am a member in the swedish church. Go figure :-).

Denmark still has a state church, which means that people automatically become members on birth.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:38pm On Aug 23, 2016
Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:39pm On Aug 23, 2016
JFAH:

And 60% of swedens population belongs to the former state church... You should perhaps note that Sweden and Norway until recently have had an obligatory state church, so yes, of course they have a large fraction of the population as members. Doesnt mean that the church has had any impact on the society though :-). Latest figure on people that have some sort of belief in *any* supernatural entity in some sort of way is actually 40%. Yet the church has 60% members. How odd. I for instance, am an atheist and have been that for all of my life, but on paper I am a member in the swedish church. Go figure :-).

You just presented data from online polls where a picayune percentage of the population participated cheesy. Atheism is no where close to a majority in Europe . As at 2010 the number of atheists globally are only 136 million .

Don't confuse irreligion with atheism .

There is no proof you are Swedish . Stop making claims - no one is concerned with where you came from

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Need My Third Eye Activated / Six Important Ways To Obtain God's Love / Does The Moral Law(10 commandments) Remain Against The Christian?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.