Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,506 members, 7,823,187 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:10 AM

Nigerian Woman Was Robbed As She Made Her Way To Hospital To Give Birth In Uk - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigerian Woman Was Robbed As She Made Her Way To Hospital To Give Birth In Uk (431 Views)

Baby Sex Pre-selection; COUPLES Give Birth To Your Choice Of Baby / Commotion As Vice President Gets ‘poisoned’, Rushed To Hospital / See What This Woman Was Spotted Doing Inside A BRT Bus (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Woman Was Robbed As She Made Her Way To Hospital To Give Birth In Uk by sharpboyus(m): 4:05pm On Aug 25, 2016
Patience Chukwu approached by man while on way to Homerton hospital

He wrested her phone from her hand while she was talking to her sister

Thug then dragged Ms Chukwu along the road as she clung onto his bike

He then punched her three times as she pleaded for him to stop the attack

Ms Chukwu taken to hospital where baby had no heartbeat but survived

A pregnant woman was robbed as she made her way to hospital to give birth in a shocking attack which left her newborn baby fighting for his life.

Patience Chukwu, 40, was in labour and making her way to Homerton Hospital, north east London, when she stopped and leaned against a wall so she could catch her breath.

But, as she was talking to her sister on her mobile, a thug riding a BMX approached the expectant mother and tried to snatch her Samsung Galaxy.

The man then launched a 'senseless' attack on the pregnant mother, beating her repeatedly as she pleaded with him to stop.

The attack was so brutal that, when she arrived at hospital, her baby was found to have no heartbeat.

He was then forced to stay in intensive care for one week while doctors battled to save his life.

Speaking about the horrific attack, she told the Evening Standard: 'I never expected that a heavily pregnant woman in labour would be robbed. My belly would have been huge.

'As he was robbing me, I was begging him: "Please, I'm in labour, please". That boy is wicked and I want them to catch him before he attacks someone else.'

Ms Chukwu had left her home in north London to catch a bus to the hospital when she was confronted by the man as she spoke to her sister - who was her birthday partner - on the phone.

She initially thought he was asking for directions, but he suddenly snatched the phone from her hand.

Ms Chukwu then attempted to fight back, grabbing the hood on the thief's jumper to stop him fleeing from the scene.

But, as she did, she was dragged along the street behind his bike.

Ms Chukwu pleaded with the man to stop, telling him she was pregnant, but he raised his right arm to swing at her pregnant stomach.

In a desperate bid to shield her unborn child, Ms Chukwu bent forward, taking the punch on her head. The thug then punched her twice more in the face, causing her glasses to crash to the floor, before fleeing from the scene.

Ms Chukwu managed to call out to a man who was walking by, who tried to chase the culprit, but could not catch him.

Police have released an efit of the thug who launched the attack and are appealing for the public's help in tracking him down

Police have released an efit of the thug who launched the attack and are appealing for the public's help in tracking him down

Ms Chukwu added: 'This whole incident has upset me more than I can describe', she said. 'I already suffered from anxiety before this, and now I am scared whenever a bike goes past me - it's affecting me living my life.'

Neighbours in Leadale Street, Stamford Hill - where the attack took place - rushed to give Ms Chukwu a chair and water before calling police and paramedics.

The expectant mother, who already has a daughter, aged four, was rushed to hospital by ambulance where the baby boy was found to have no heartbeat.

Her son Kamsi Kishi then had to be induced and was kept in critical care unit for a week due to complications before being allowed home. He now suffers from seizures as a result of the attack.

'I was really looking forward to a happy, healthy birth, and now I cry whenever I see my son jerking in his sleep from the stress that was caused when he was in the womb,' she said. 'I worry every day whether he will be ok.'

The attacker is described as a black man, aged between 18 and 20. He is described as short, of medium build, with shaven hair and brown eyes.

Witnesses say he was wearing a grey hooded top and has a slim face with pronounced cheek bones and rough, pock-marked complexion.

Detective Inspector Paul Ridley, from Hackney CID, admitted that the efit was their last line of enquiry and that they had 'exhausted everything'.

'Such a violent, unprovoked attack on a busy street in the mid-morning is fortunately rare, but has had devastating consequences for Patience and her son,' he said.

The attack took place in Leadale Road, Stamford Hill, north London, on June 26
'All the robber got away with was a mobile phone, but the impact his actions have had will last this family a lifetime.

'We really need the public's help to track down this man. We believe that the e-fit shows a good likeness of him, so I would appeal to anyone who knows him to get in contact with us and tell us who he is.

'The man who did this will have family and friends who will know who he is and I would ask those people to come forward and tell us where to find him. He was undoubtedly aware that she was pregnant - to use such violence was appalling and senseless.'

He added: 'There may also be other people who were in Leadale Road that day who we have not yet spoken to, who may have seen the attack or the suspect getting away on his bike.

'His escape route is near to the River Lea so people walking their dogs or runners may have seen him fleeing. Please get in touch as your information may well help.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the investigation team on 07795 122 325 or 101 and request Hackney CID. To remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

https://lailamedia..co.uk/2016/08/a-pregnant-woman-was-robbed-as-she-made.html

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Heaven (3) / DND And Still Receiving Message From Network / ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.