Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,380 members, 7,812,108 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:25 AM

My Experience At Isolo General Hospital, Lagos. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Experience At Isolo General Hospital, Lagos. (3018 Views)

General Hospital Ambulance Dumps Sick Man On Drip Along The Road - Twitter User / Outrage As Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos, Liters The Road With Patients Blood / Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Experience At Isolo General Hospital, Lagos. by VISTIN(m): 12:08am On Aug 26, 2016
This is an ugly situation I never expected from any right-thinking personnel.
Some time in July, my younger sister fell sick, having serious stomach pains and chest pain.

It was so severe that we had to rush her to Isolo General Hospital. On getting to the hospital, after their normal preliminary processes, we were told she had to wait until someone was discharged before she could be admitted, as there was no vacancy. We decided to wait while tests were being run.

A particular doctor asked for malaria test. We didn't want to argue, even though I saw no connection of Malaria with the situation on ground.

Meanwhile, as we were trying to do that, another doctor suggested we do a scan to be sure of what the problem was. That we followed, and scan showed that she has ovarian cyst (according to the lab personnel) which is gradually affecting her kidney.

Recommendations:
The doctor said the solution could be surgery, but in the interim, she would be place on some antibiotics and pain relief drugs for some time.

Moreso, she would take pregnancy prevention pills to stop menstruation for some time. This he said may force the cyst to disappear. But she would report back after two months. We followed this process diligently.

Unfortunately, by August 24, the trouble started again. This time in a more dangerous form. We rushed her back to the hospital and they did another scan and concluded that she has fibroid.

Recommendations:
This time the only way out is surgery to remove the stuff.

The trouble:
Now, we wanted to do the surgery at Isolo General Hospital but non of the doctors was responding. We asked for a referral letter to LUTH but they refused and discouraged us.

What Did They Want?
Every of the doctors has suggested or strongly advised we use their private hospital. They prevented us from having the surgery done in the hospital where they receive salaries, they prevented us from going to LUTH where we will get it cheaper, not minding the protocol.

When we inquired about the cost in their private hospital, one said N400,000 while the least quoted N300,000.

Though we have decided to take her to a gynaecologist in Anambra who would do it at N170,000, but it's strange that people can be this callous and selfish even to the detriment of their employers.

I didn't write this to blackmail the Hospital but frown at the attitude of some people in the public sectors. General Hospitals in Lagos have been doing great but this experience is just shocking to me.
I hope my sister will be fine, and I pray people don't lose their lives for situations like this.
God bless Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience At Isolo General Hospital, Lagos. by Nobody: 12:24am On Aug 26, 2016
My sister had a similar experience while she wanted to give birth.They referred her to one private hospital after she had already paid at the hospital who referred her to another.The thing is that some of the doctors are either marketers or owners of other hospitals they referred a patient to so that they will go there to collect commission or where they can swindle patient to part with huge sums of money in their private establishment.Nigerian doctors and politicians are like siamese twins.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Dey Shit Blood!! Blood!! Help!!!!!!!! / Does Ewedu Induce Labour? / 693,000 Children To Get Meningitis Vaccination In Cross River

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.