Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,059 members, 7,849,281 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 05:46 PM

3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations (18620 Views)

Shoprite Ilorin Shut Down After Massive Crowd Stormed Their Store (Photos) / List Of Shipping Companies In Nigeria / 800 Nigerians Sponsored By Dangote To Study Refinery Operations In India. PICS.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by Nobody: 7:29am On Aug 26, 2016
seguno2:
President Buhari, why now?
How did you let the biggest economy in Africa become so bad in just 15 months?
Were you forced to contest when you know that you are not capable?

The mess was already happening long before he came in....when oil prices began falling by 2014....and Mrs Okonjo-Iweala was saying that things would get bad...regardless of whoever wins.

We were a big economy because we were buffered by the immense revenue comming from high oil prices above $100 per barrel.Now...the oil has fallen to below $50. Of course....we have less spending money....and thus we are poor.

We could blame GEJ for not saving , BUT......even if he saved....we would have had enough to hold things off till 2017.....and then things go bad.

The real enemy here is Nigeria's resource dependency. Let us stop relying on revenue from selling oil and agric...whose prices we do not control...and using the income to import things we should be making.That is why we have a bad economy....and why the economy was band even when GEJ was in charge.
Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by Nobody: 7:31am On Aug 26, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Syringe prices are going up because we import most of them.

When oil prices were high, and we had enough dollars to import,it was of no consequence.Now ...with low oil prices....weno longer have the dollars to import.

We have to start making our own stuff.

Everyone blame oil price,. If I may ask what about the restrictions on Forex, u think that don't have more effect on importation.

5 Likes

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by DAramis: 7:33am On Aug 26, 2016
Things are getting bad as the day goes by.

3 Likes

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by Missonas(f): 7:36am On Aug 26, 2016
Anarchy looms. The military is on standby. Is the president planning to don his khaki in the longrun?

4 Likes

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by fortunateice(m): 7:37am On Aug 26, 2016
3,000 unemployed = 2500 criminals. What can i say, a man got to eat....

3 Likes

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by Nobody: 7:40am On Aug 26, 2016
Dock workers are losing their jobs for the simple reason that we do not have the dollars to import the way we used to.

And let's be frank....this is because the basis ofour economy since independence has been in a bad state. It has been dependent on us exporting things like agricultural produce and mining (oil inclusive)...with very limited local manufacturing.

The mistake we make is twofold

1.We do not save enough in the time of plenty

2.We also do not improve local manufacturing....instead we prefer to import manufactured goods....or assemble imported things. (Most car manufacturing in Nigeria is done from assembling prefabricated parts....we do not actually make the parts ourselves...and these prefab parts are imported).

Buhari did not cause the problem we are in....that is due to PDP's mess. But...that does not mean I regard Buhari as a good leder though.

For Buhari to be a good leader....he has to face the fact that we are a poor nation,and cut wastage,while spending money on what we need to be a manufacturing power....ie improving power,transport and education.)

If APC does that....they would end up with an economy that provides jobs in the millions....after an initial period of hardship.

If they wait for oil to rise again.....it won;t do Nigeria much good. Infact...I pray oil goes and stays below $20. Maybe we would finally learn that there is no such thing as a national cake.

1 Like

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by ideology(m): 7:42am On Aug 26, 2016
Congratulation ngeneukwenu, dropshot, passingshot, gbawe, myndd44, jarus, jarushub cheesy

I have made up my mind just like chief Pat Utomi "i have stop advising people because they don't listen" - Utomi, 2016

Information reaching me says FG is planning to increase fuel price to 200/litre.

One thing is sure, i won't buy it alone, you will also buy, if things gets worse, relocating to another country is very easy …

Good morning …

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by seguno2: 7:43am On Aug 26, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

The mess was already happening long before he came in....when oil prices began falling by 2014....and Mrs Okonjo-Iweala was saying that things would get bad...regardless of whoever wins.

We were a big economy because we were buffered by the immense revenue comming from high oil prices above $100 per barrel.Now...the oil has fallen to below $50. Of course....we have less spending money....and thus we are poor.

We could blame GEJ for not saving , BUT......even if he saved....we would have had enough to hold things off till 2017.....and then things go bad.

The real enemy here is Nigeria's resource dependency. Let us stop relying on revenue from selling oil and agric...whose prices we do not control...and using the income to import things we should be making.That is why we have a bad economy....and why the economy was band even when GEJ was in charge.

I thought that Jonathan tried to save and the 36 governors reminded him that the federation account is not for the federal government to decide alone.
True or not?
I thought that Jonathan diversified into agriculture and automotive sectors.
True or not?

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by Nobody: 7:43am On Aug 26, 2016
stinflame:

Everyone blame oil price,. If I may ask what about the restrictions on Forex, u think that don't have more effect on importation.

Because of the low oil price...we do not have enough foreign exchange in our treasury....hence the foreign exchange restrictions....so that we can have enough forex for vital things like meeting important international obligations....and keeping the naira from falling further than it would.

Note that when oil prices fell in 2008-9.....Soludo did the same thing. Once oil prices went up again by 2010....Sanusi ended the restrictions.
Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by AreaFada2: 7:44am On Aug 26, 2016
Zombies be like : even if Buhari is the only one left with a job, we stand by him.
cheesy grin

Now I understand how Hitler managed to stay that long in power.

9 Likes

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by aljharem(m): 7:45am On Aug 26, 2016
Abeg make them enjoy there change.

cry cry cry so many families will go hungry

How I was this changi can affect those that voted for an illiterate only . They should even die for hunger , most Nigerians don't care. Beremx and co

3 Likes

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by Izonpikin: 7:45am On Aug 26, 2016
i hope the new director of NPA can handle this...el rufais side chick... cool cool cool

incompetence alarm... cheesy cheesy cheesy

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by columbus007(m): 7:47am On Aug 26, 2016
Majority of those sacked in his time are those that solicted him to power,now they losing their jobs at the speed of light grin

6 Likes

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by hariorh: 7:47am On Aug 26, 2016
Hard times are here... Lord help us

2 Likes

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by tunde1200(m): 7:47am On Aug 26, 2016
did you know that our economy depends on crude oil?

soccerdrum:
And i still remember vividly how many Nigerians were chanting "Sai Baba" sometimes last year while calling one other guy from the south south "Clueless Jona-daft"... Just look around we country now,, wetin deh happen? grin

APC = Change!
PDP = Change de Change!

And all this happens only in Africa's most populous nation. Why?
Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by aljharem(m): 7:47am On Aug 26, 2016
seguno2:

I thought that Jonathan tried to save and the 36 governors reminded him that the federation account is not for the federal government to decide alone.
True or not?
True or not?

Are you minding the iddiooot

No way this will happen and Jonathan will not be scared of Nigerians. He will find a solution fast

5 Likes

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by MiMiakpet(m): 7:48am On Aug 26, 2016
Ah ah... Wetin happen naw? But they promised us 3million jobs naw? Ok now na 3003000 jobs them dey owe us

5 Likes

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by permanentgrace(m): 7:48am On Aug 26, 2016
I still find it difficult to believe i've been buying a litre of kerosene at N250. It still looks like a dream. WHAT A CHANGE!

7 Likes

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by Nobody: 7:50am On Aug 26, 2016
seguno2:

True or not?

The governors acted the way they did because the Federal Government at the time was making a lot of unauthorized spending from the revenue we were earning...hence the lawsuit.

True or not?

1.Automotive was good....but the problem was that at the end of the day...we were importing pre-fabricated car parts and assembling them in Nigeria....another means of wasting foreign exchange.

We did the same thing in the 1970's. Solong as we had enough forex....we could assemble cars cheaply in Nigeria. When oilrpcies fell in 1982...and forex fell....it got difficult to do so...and car prices went up. (A 505 Peugeot assembled in Nigeria cost N12000 in 1983. By 1990...it cost N800000)

It would have been better if all the car parts were made from scratch in Nigeria. Good for our balance sheet....and enables us to be an exporter (Innoson should make that his goal).

As for Agric.....Agric is like oil. Prices rise and drop like oil (Most African countries that rely on agric are even more broke than us.) Plus....GEJ was only successful in improving cocoa production....cotton,palm oil,groundnut and beninseed ....zero.

In my opinion, Buhari...and his successors...should focus on getting us industrial
Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by ideology(m): 7:52am On Aug 26, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Businesses are not failing because of Gej even if Amaechi and co Allowed him to save.

Businesses are failing because APC government is hopelessly clueless, they were only desparate about getting power.

No policy direction, every recent policies have been changed more than 3 times within a quarter, what does that tell you, they are clueless folks practising trial and error and all they care about is generating revenue to feed political class not minding the impacting of those sources on the masses.

By 2019, only fashola will have something to show as a minister, the rest are political jobbers

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by Nobody: 7:52am On Aug 26, 2016
aljharem:

Are you minding the iddiooot

No way this will happen and Jonathan will not be scared of Nigerians. He will find a solution fast

I am grateful for you calling me that. Your sentiment is deeply appreciated. God bless you.
Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by Cannonleo(m): 7:53am On Aug 26, 2016
Taryur3:
This buhari government gidigan.abeg who witnessed Buhari government here when he ruled as a military man? Na like this life be then? This change has turned to chain.
my dad did, infact he cried when the election results were released and said we were in for trouble. it was also the period he finalized his voluntary retirement from the army cos the nepotism was 2much. he did finally in 1995, every single word he said abt mbuhari has been true to the money. this is just the beginning.

3 Likes

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by Nobody: 7:56am On Aug 26, 2016
ideology:

Businesses are not failing because of Gej even if Amaechi and co Allowed him to save.

Businesses are failing because APC government is hopelessly clueless, they were only desparate about getting power.

No policy direction, every recent policies have been changed more than 3 times within a quarter, what does that tell you, they are clueless folks practising trial and error and all they care about is generating revenue to feed political class not minding the impacting of those sources on the masses.

By 2019, only fashola will have something to show as a minister, the rest are political jobbers

And if oil prices went up tomorrow...you folks would be praising Buhari as a miracle worker.

While I would still be talking the same way I am.....

Fact is....most Nigerian governments since independence have had the same policy.....export as much raw materiel as possible and share the money earned in a nice and kind way.

Real policy for me would be increased spending on what we need to become self sufficient...and keep as much oforex as possible at home...and the only way we can do that is via industries.

1 Like

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by sarutobie(m): 8:02am On Aug 26, 2016
AreaFada2:
Zombies be like : even if Buhari is the only one left with a job, we stand by him
cheesy grin

Now I understand how Hitler managed to stay that long in power.
of course,world renowned conquerors like Hitler, ghengis khan, Hannibal all had followers, they all had 'yes' men... it is normal..even the devil has loyal followers...

4 Likes

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by ideology(m): 8:02am On Aug 26, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

And if oil prices went up tomorrow...you folks would be praising Buhari as a miracle worker.

While I would still be talking the same way I am.....

Fact is....most Nigerian governments since independence have had the same policy.....export as much raw materiel as possible and share the money earned in a nice and kind way.

Real policy for me would be increased spending on what we need to become self sufficient...and keep as much oforex as possible at home...and the only way we can do that is via industries.
see your problem, they have made you believe that the issue is price of oil, hiding their cluesslessness,

I won't go further except you explain to us if Nigeria is the only one affected by fail in price,

Mind you our benchmark is below $50 so From the current oil prices simple mathematics should have made you understood that we have excess funds also add the trillions that they have recovered from looted funds as alleged

3 Likes

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by sinaj(f): 8:05am On Aug 26, 2016
repogirl:
The people are the power but it seems we don't know this. We need to be united and call for his resignation.

It won't be easy but it's not impossible and then it's better to try than sit miserably quiet till the country totally crumbles.

2019 is still far, they are playing with our lives.

We are all dying in silence, waiting for just one person to start the movement.
I strongly believe the people will support.

It's possible

2 Likes

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by franco3075q(m): 8:12am On Aug 26, 2016
Hw did dis irrespensible mallam bcom d president of nigeria, ppler r serously hungry n d bargar dnt even care

3 Likes

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by MisterKings(m): 8:13am On Aug 26, 2016
I dont understand.... Is it impossible to step down when your position causes harm to the masses. I dont understand o.
Those who voted and keep saying that Buhari is trying to clean up the mess GEJ created, never really feel this thing. They say patience is required to handle naija, bros e never touch u.
In the name of fighting corruption you are breeding corruption because at this point what do you expect 3000 people to do when maybe 20% of them find new jobs (very unlikely) . Wetin remain for the remaining 80%, no be to carry gun or reason yahoo or ritual or anything else they wouldn't have reasoned before.

Its like saving one egg and letting a whole crate break. Like this video...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=mb4nSOGmU9o

Hmm. This is not funny

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by anigbajumo(m): 8:17am On Aug 26, 2016
Dagaya:
This is bad, really bad. Bad news has become the order of the day, from job losses to deaths and misplaced economic priorities. In this present time, the suffering that is hitting our dear country Nigeria is so intense to the extent that feeding has become a major problem for the average family.

[s]Nigeria has never had it this bad. For everyone that voted for pa buhari, just know you have done this country a great dis-service and may your lives be ruled and governed the way he is governing this country.[/s]

How can one choose change over transformation, without asking what kind of change is being promised.

When will u people stop all these useless nd irritating assertion. Where did u put the civil responsibility nd civil right of whom to vote nd to be voted forIt baffles me a lot wen I see some people being sentimental here coz yer choice was voted out massively in Aso rock.

Everybody is feeling the heat.you don't need to accuse a voter coz he performed his civil right. You cry or sing the same song till tomorrow doesn't change the fact that PMB will rule till 2019.

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by MisterKings(m): 8:17am On Aug 26, 2016
Cannonleo:
my dad did, infact he cried when the election results were released and said we were in for trouble. it was also the period he finalized his voluntary retirement from the army cos the nepotism was 2much. he did finally in 1995, every single word he said abt mbuhari has been true to the money. this is just the beginning.

Old folks knew and warned just like your dad. But people were so eager to leave the fry pan and now discovered they actually jumped into the fire

4 Likes

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by Nobody: 8:20am On Aug 26, 2016
More crime rate incoming...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

First Bank Collected N10k Without Recharging My Phone In 9 Days / Tribapay Is Still The Most Reliable For Dollar Cards Because Of Customer Care / What Is The Cost Of A Liter Of Diesel In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.