Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,472 members, 7,861,363 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 10:45 AM

3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations (18631 Views)

Shoprite Ilorin Shut Down After Massive Crowd Stormed Their Store (Photos) / List Of Shipping Companies In Nigeria / 800 Nigerians Sponsored By Dangote To Study Refinery Operations In India. PICS.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by Omooba77: 8:22am On Aug 26, 2016
God will save Nigeria for this perculiar mess

1 Like

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by toidflex(m): 8:22am On Aug 26, 2016
That is why sanusi said buhari is surrounded by voodoo economist,the fact is that why all this harsh policies when there are no palliative method on ground?i cry for my beloved country!

2 Likes

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by dellsystems: 8:23am On Aug 26, 2016
9jii:
Anything that will reduce our dependence on importation.
Hope they 'll find a job in manufacturing sector
Mr. man think before you talk. How many factory still dey operate for Nigeria today wey you want make dem go find work? Abi no be the factories first begin close since last year.

2 Likes

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by omogin(f): 8:25am On Aug 26, 2016
APC is creating jobs massively. Edo and ondo pple be wise

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by uchesino(m): 8:26am On Aug 26, 2016
I seriously like it, Sai baba.... buhari till 2020. Dis murin my neighbor was crying cos he(married man) lost his job wit a bank.... Sai change

3 Likes

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by erico2k2(m): 8:29am On Aug 26, 2016
I dont care what anyone says if you are from LAGOS state, and called GEJ daft, plz Do not complain, ENjoy the change cos, if you voted teh other way this kinda change would not B.Chey teh wind of change has blown past few of you and you have now felt it.when we tried to educate you guys about 1984, you called folks Old school and Wailers.For those of you who still have hope, sit tight, the wind would so come your way in whatever you are doing.

NB: Due to Increase in $/N difference wailers form has been increased by %50 grin grin
Fresh Air.

3 Likes

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by erico2k2(m): 8:32am On Aug 26, 2016
SamuelAnyawu:
How many Shipping companies in Nigeria has over 100 personnel in its payroll?

We should be more accurate with our statistics cool

God bless Nigeria
How old are you??
did you forget
The recharge card vendor?
Mama put ?
Biz center?
Errand Boys?
you want me to go on??

2 Likes

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by seguno2: 8:41am On Aug 26, 2016
Quakertellicus1:
The governors acted the way they did because the Federal Government at the time was making a lot of unauthorized spending from the revenue we were earning...hence the lawsuit.

1.Automotive was good....but the problem was that at the end of the day...we were importing pre-fabricated car parts and assembling them in Nigeria....another means of wasting foreign exchange.

We did the same thing in the 1970's. Solong as we had enough forex....we could assemble cars cheaply in Nigeria. When oilrpcies fell in 1982...and forex fell....it got difficult to do so...and car prices went up. (A 505 Peugeot assembled in Nigeria cost N12000 in 1983. By 1990...it cost N800000)

It would have been better if all the car parts were made from scratch in Nigeria. Good for our balance sheet....and enables us to be an exporter (Innoson should make that his goal).

As for Agric.....Agric is like oil. Prices rise and drop like oil (Most African countries that rely on agric are even more broke than us.) Plus....GEJ was only successful in improving cocoa production....cotton,palm oil,groundnut and beninseed ....zero.

In my opinion, Buhari...and his successors...should focus on getting us industrial

Can we industrialise without heavy investment in massive STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) education?
No.
Buhari and his APC party, even in Lagos have a negative record in education for all.
So.........?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by Nobody: 8:42am On Aug 26, 2016
ideology:
see your problem, they have made you believe that the issue is price of oil, hiding their cluesslessness,

The mistake you people make when you read my comments .....is that you think I am defending pmb.

I am not....I am merely stating that he has a hefty job to do......and he is not doing it right.

Only way for Nigeria's economy to improve is to get rid of our reliance on oil....and go industrial...which guarantees self sufficiency and more revenue for our economy than oil can provide. And jobs galore.

I won't go further except you explain to us if Nigeria is the only one affected by fail in price,

Russia, Venezuela and Saudi Arabia are all affected.

Russia is losing jobs, Saudi Arabia is in panic mode....they are already raising taxes....and of course...Venezuela is in dire stratis.

And in the oil producing parts of the UK and US....jobs are being lost. and economy is being depressed.

Mind you our benchmark is below $50 so From the current oil prices simple mathematics should have made you understood that we have excess funds also add the trillions that they have recovered from looted funds as alleged

So you do admit our economy is oil dependent! Hey!

But that $50 is not what we need. Nigeria needs oil at $123, Russia at $99 and Saudi Arabia at $70. That $50 won't earn us much money at all.

That is why.....if you read me clearly....I am saying Nigeria's problem ultimately is our dependence on exporting resources whose prices we do not control. Like oil!

Here is a good article explaining how it works. Written in 2004 by the way!
Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by Nobody: 8:43am On Aug 26, 2016
seguno2:

Can we industrialise without heavy investment in massive STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) education?
No.
Buhari and his APC party, even in Lagos have a negative record in education for all.
So.........?

You get it finally.....I am telling PMB to get to work on the sectors we need to industrialize.!

If he does not do that....we vote in leaders who are committed to doing that.
Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by paulco: 8:44am On Aug 26, 2016
soccerdrum:
And i still remember vividly how many Nigerians were chanting "Sai Baba" sometimes last year while calling one other guy from the south south "Clueless Jona-daft"... Just look around we country now,, wetin deh happen? grin

APC = Change!
PDP = Change de Change!

And all this happens only in Africa's most populous nation. Why?

Don't be quick to talk especially when you have little knowledge about trending issues, i work in the maritime sector between 2005 and 2007 over 10,000 dockers were relieved of there jobs, am most certain you are not aware, now these government is discouraging high level of importation and concentrating on export and the whole sector is been restructure people come to cry hell and castigate PMB, at least for once
we understand what the govt want even though its telling on the citizenry, but never forget no pain no gain...am hopeful we'll get there.

2 Likes

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by SamuelAnyawu(m): 8:44am On Aug 26, 2016
erico2k2:

How old are you??
did you forget
The recharge card vendor?
Mama put ?
Biz center?
Errand Boys?
you want me to go on??

Bros take it easy this is a faceless site cool you don't even know if I work there . Thanks
Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by Ralphdan(m): 8:45am On Aug 26, 2016
They have not seen anything as am sure that at least 70% of those 3000 are yorubas who chanted sai baba and also voted the dullard during election. undecided

2 Likes

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by OfficialAwol(m): 8:47am On Aug 26, 2016
That 20 shipping companies closed shop and 3000 workers retrenched, is not my anger.

My anger is that some deluded brainless fools will still come here to rationalize on how this govt is the best ever. Best govt and companies are closing down?

One of their argument would be that the companies pulling out are owned by foreigners and that their exit would pave way for establishment of similar companies by locals.

Then i ask them, is it where the white man with his developed and critical brain, failed to survive that a Nigerian with a head full of pounded yam would thrive?

Where is NgeneUkwuenu. I swear that girl has no Igbo blood flowing through her veins....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by sunnyside16(m): 8:56am On Aug 26, 2016
Some idiots would still come and say, "it is as a result of bad pdp reign"

2 Likes

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by mightyhazell: 8:57am On Aug 26, 2016
OfficialAwol:
That 20 shipping companies closed shop and 3000 workers retrenched, is not my anger.

My anger is that some deluded brainless fools will still come here to rationalize on how this govt is the best ever. Best govt and companies are closing down?

One of their argument would be that the companies pulling out are owned by foreigners and that their exit would pave way for establishment of similar companies by locals.

Then i ask them, is it where the white man with his developed and critical brain, failed to survive that a Nigerian with a head full of pounded yam would thrive?

Where is NgeneUkwuenu. I swear that girl has no Igbo blood flowing through her veins....
ngene is not a girl

Ngene is not igbo

Ngene has no veins,talkless of blood

Ngene is a zombie! cool

4 Likes

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by Nobody: 9:06am On Aug 26, 2016
No thanks to diabolic change/dumb nomad!

1 Like

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by 4nobody4every1: 9:08am On Aug 26, 2016
Lamexx:
Do you mean 3000 dock rats? They are ghost workers. Buhari did not cause the problem we are in....this is due to PDP's mess. APC will improve the economy and provides jobs in the millions....after an initial period of hardship. - Zombies

Buhari is transforming the economy - Afonja

We desperately need restructuring - IPOD

We hope to improve our maritime sector by blocking leakages - Lie Mohammed

CHANGE has reached the Maritime sector. Unstable companies are leaving the sector leaving room for more viable companies to come in - Minister Ameachi

Thank God I didn't vote this dullard in. Every news in the last one year has been negative. I just give up.
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by Dagaya(m): 9:28am On Aug 26, 2016
anigbajumo:

When will u people stop all these useless nd irritating assertion. Where did u put the civil responsibility nd civil right of whom to vote nd to be voted forIt baffles me a lot wen I see some people being sentimental here coz yer choice was voted out massively in Aso rock.

Everybody is feeling the heat.you don't need to accuse a voter coz he performed his civil right. You cry or sing the same song till tomorrow doesn't change the fact that PMB will rule till 2019.

I get where your coming from and your right, but it is frustrating knowing we chose to go backwards rather than forward, considering the fact that this guy has once ruled as a former head of state and we experienced a period of hardship before IBB did the needful.
so at the end who do i blame if not the ones who voted him in.
Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by anigbajumo(m): 9:36am On Aug 26, 2016
[quote author=Dagaya post=48812933][/quote]

You still gat it wrong sir,u ar not in pole position to blame anybody coz of their civic duty.It is highly disgusting nd uncalled for.Yer choice is yer choice u can't force people to go yer way,You go against it means u dnt abide by the constitution of Nigeria......

You can only campaign massively by 2019 to mobile him out of Aso rock not by preaching hatred to those who voted him, It is right of every Nigerian above 18 to vote for their choice. It is clearly stated.....

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by seguno2: 9:36am On Aug 26, 2016
Quakertellicus1:
You get it finally.....I am telling PMB to get to work on the sectors we need to industrialize.!

If he does not do that....we vote in leaders who are committed to doing that.

Buhari can't because he is not wired that way.
Forget 2019. He cannot be voted out.
He cannot.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by ideology(m): 9:39am On Aug 26, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

The mistake you people make when you read my comments .....is that you think I am defending pmb.

I am not....I am merely stating that he has a hefty job to do......and he is not doing it right.

Only way for Nigeria's economy to improve is to get rid of our reliance on oil....and go industrial...which guarantees self sufficiency and more revenue for our economy than oil can provide. And jobs galore.

Russia, Venezuela and Saudi Arabia are all affected.

Russia is losing jobs, Saudi Arabia is in panic mode....they are already raising taxes....and of course...Venezuela is in dire stratis.

And in the oil producing parts of the UK and US....jobs are being lost. and economy is being depressed.

So you do admit our economy is oil dependent! Hey!

But that $50 is not what we need. Nigeria needs oil at $123, Russia at $99 and Saudi Arabia at $70. That $50 won't earn us much money at all.

That is why.....if you read me clearly....I am saying Nigeria's problem ultimately is our dependence on exporting resources whose prices we do not control. Like oil!

Here is a good article explaining how it works. Written in 2004 by the way!
i will start with the later, why do you need oil to survive when you have multiple options in terms of natural and human resources.

Why do you need oil at what so ever price when you have people ready to invest in converting raw materials to finished goods but Can't afford your interest rates or the cost of running business due to your policies and multiple taxation.

Why do you need oil to survive, when they are other countries doing well without oil reserves?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by Dagaya(m): 9:41am On Aug 26, 2016
anigbajumo:

You still gat it wrong sir,u ar not in pole position to blame anybody coz of their civic duty.It is highly disgusting nd uncalled for.Yer choice is yer choice u can't force people to go yer way,You go against it means u dnt abide by the constitution of Nigeria......

You can only campaign massively by 2019 to mobile him out of Aso rock not by preaching hatred to those who voted him, It is right of every Nigerian above 18 to vote for their choice. It is clearly stated.....

Thats ok.. Thanks its nice the way you passed your points across without any insults. Am taking your advice to heart. Campaign starts now.
Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by Nobody: 9:42am On Aug 26, 2016
ideology:
i will start with the later, why do you need oil to survive when you have multiple options in terms of natural and human resources.

Why do you need oil at what so ever price when you have people ready to invest in converting raw materials to finished goods but Can't afford your interest rates or the cost of running business due to your policies and multiple taxation.

Why do you need oil to survive, when they are other countries doing well without oil reserves?

Which is what I have been saying all this while.

Oil is no good.

1 Like

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by Nobody: 9:58am On Aug 26, 2016
seguno2:

Buhari can't because he is not wired that way.
Forget 2019. He cannot be voted out.
He cannot.

That is what you think.

Democracy is not all about the power of incumbency. Incumbents can be voted out....with a lot of hard work and a lot of alliances.

APC won not because they were the better alternative,or because PMB was more intelligent...but because they made the right alliances, and they did not give up.

The new opposition can do the same too.

1 Like

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by Nobody: 10:42am On Aug 26, 2016
tundejoseph4:
Buari is an agent of destruction

I go bite you

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by Itulah(m): 11:04am On Aug 26, 2016
When GEJ hears this news

1 Like

Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by mykelly(m): 12:00pm On Aug 26, 2016
they are leaving because there is no reason to import all the unnecessary rubbish again....we import what can be produced.
Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by Taryur3(m): 1:03pm On Aug 26, 2016
Cannonleo:
my dad did, infact he cried when the election results were released and said we were in for trouble. it was also the period he finalized his voluntary retirement from the army cos the nepotism was 2much. he did finally in 1995, every single word he said abt mbuhari has been true to the money. this is just the beginning.
Yeepa...people are suffering in that country...as dis daura man came to power
Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by erico2k2(m): 5:44pm On Aug 26, 2016
SamuelAnyawu:

Bros take it easy this is a faceless site cool you don't even know if I work there . Thanks
ok Noted.
Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by OfficialAwol(m): 7:21pm On Aug 26, 2016
mightyhazell:
ngene is not a girl

Ngene is not igbo

Ngene has no veins,talkless of blood

Ngene is a zombie! cool

Lols. So that thing is not a girl?
Re: 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations by morningsta(m): 12:00am On Aug 27, 2016
The length of time it took ds APC government to set up a cabinet and other principal officers could have set any developing country on the path of recession. To further worsen the situation, it took almost forever to pass 2016 budget. It was so bad many Nigerians had to resort to prayers who have never prayed before. Given the length of time it took to appoint ministers one would have thought he was going to appoint angels only to find the likes of Dalung who should be in a motor park working as a minister. Nigeria is a big joke.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photos Of Nigerians On Twitter Calling For #endcrazycharges In Nigeria. / Fruit Juice Packaging In Nigeria / Banks Resume Transfers For FX Cash Deposits (screenshots)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.