Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,778 members, 7,817,206 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

The Hajj - Sundry Matters - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / The Hajj - Sundry Matters (2728 Views)

Hajj Patronage Drops Despite Lower Fare / Unidentified Woman Who Died During Hajj Trip To Mecca (Photo) / Inno Mu’azu Is Dead - "Hajj Pilgrim" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Hajj - Sundry Matters by eluquenson(m): 8:03am On Aug 26, 2016
Assalamu alaykum warahmatullahi wabarakaatuhu

All praises are for Allah Who raised the symbols of Islam and clarified for His creation the clear methods and signs. He made the pilgrimage one of the pillars of this great religion. I bear witness that there is no god except Allah alone. And I bear witness that Muhammad (SAW) is His servant and messenger, May Allah’s salutations and peace be on him and on his noble family and companions.

“O you who believe! Fear Allah and keep your duty to Him. And let every person look to what he has sent forth for the morrow, and fear Allah. Verily, Allah is All-Aware of what you do.” [Q59:18] “And know that Allah knows what is in your minds, so fear Him.” [Q2:235]

O servants of Allah! While we have dealt significantly with Hajj rites and its spirituality, there are some preliminaries that also require proper understand for the Muslim while making plans to go for Hajj. In this regard, we will focus on those sundry issues in this discussion and ask Allah for guidance.

Hajj of a Minor and a Slave
Though Hajj is not compulsory for these two groups it is quite valid if they perform one, but it will not suffice them as regards the Hajj obligation in Islam; meaning that when the minor becomes a major or when the slave attains freedom, they will have to perform the Hajj that is obligatory upon them.

Ibn 'Abbas (RA) reported that the Prophet (SAW) said: 'Any minor (child) who performs Hajj must perform it again after coming of age; any slave who performs Hajj and is then freed, must perform his Hajj again'." (Reported by At-Tabarani on sound authority)
It is also reported from Ibn 'Abbas (RA) that during a Hajj a woman lifted a boy, and asked the Prophet, "Will this boy be rewarded for Hajj?" The Prophet (SAW) answered: "Yes, and you too will be rewarded." (The boy will be rewarded for his obedience, while the mother will be rewarded for helping and instructing him to perform Hajj. This hadith is also reported from 'Umar, RA)
Jabir reports: "We performed Hajj with the Prophet (SAW) and a number of women and children were with us. We said talbiyah on behalf of the children, and (also) threw pebbles on their behalf. This is narrated by Ahmad and Ibn Majah. So if you want your infant to have the full reward for the hajj, you should perform the rites of hajj (due upon them that they cannot do for themselves) for them. However, if a minor is able, he may himself declare the state of ihram and perform the rites of Hajj.
If, on the other hand, a minor attains the age of puberty on or before the Day of 'Arafah, his Hajj is then credited to him. The same applies to a slave who is liberated on or before the Day of 'Arafah. Malik and Ibn Al-Munzhir say: "To both of these people their Hajj cannot be credited as (replacement for) the obligatory Hajj, for they intended a supererogatory worship while putting on ihram; its supererogatory status cannot be transformed into an obligatory worship."

A Woman Should Seek Her Husband's Permission for Hajj
It is desirable for a woman to seek her husband's permission for the prescribed Hajj. Then if he grants her the permission she may leave for Hajj; in case he refuses to give permission, she may still proceed for Hajj, for a husband should not forbid his wife from performing obligatory Hajj. A woman should perform obligatory Hajj as soon as possible, just as she should offer her prescribed daily prayers at their earliest prescribed times. In either case a husband has no right to prevent his wife from doing what is her obligatory duty. The same applies when a wife has vowed a Hajj, because it is obligatory like the prescribed Hajj.
In the case of supererogatory Hajj (where the woman had done the obligatory hajj previously), however, the husband may prevent his wife, and the wife must obey her husband. This is supported by a hadith reported by AdDaraqutni on the authority of Ibn 'Umar (RA) who narrated that while speaking about a wealthy lady whose husband had refused to give her permission to perform Hajj, the Prophet (SAW) said: "She must not go for Hajj except by her husband's permission."

He Who Dies Without Performing Obligatory Hajj
If a person dies before performing obligatory Hajj or if one vowed to perform Hajj but died before fulfilling one’s vow, his heir must assign someone to perform Hajj on behalf of the deceased. All the ensuing expenses in this regard must be paid out of the deceased's property, as indeed must be any debts left by him.
Ibn 'Abbas narrates that a woman from the tribe of Johainah came to the Prophet (SAW) and said: "My mother had vowed to perform Hajj but she died before fulfilling her vow, should I perform Hajj on her behalf? The Prophet (SAW) said: "Yes, perform Hajj on her behalf. Would you not pay off any debts your mother might have left behind upon her death? Pay off what you owe to Allah, for He is most deserving of settlement of His debt." (Bukhari)

Hajj On Behalf of Others
Al-Fadl ibn 'Abbas said: "A woman of Khath'am said, 'O Prophet of Allah! Allah has prescribed Hajj for His servants. (Now that) I am grown up, I find that my father is an old man, and he cannot ride on the camel (for long). Should I perform Hajj on his behalf?' The Prophet (SAW) said: 'Yes.'" This happened during the Farewell Hajj. (Reported by the Group)
The above hadith also lends support to the view that, both for a man or a woman, it is quite permissible to perform Hajj on behalf of another man or woman. There is nothing against this in the Qur'an or hadith.
Position of a Sick Person Who Recovers

Before performing Hajj on behalf of someone else, a person must have performed his own Hajj. This is based on the hadith in which Ibn 'Abbas narrates that the Prophet (SAW) heard a man saying: "O Allah! Here I am in response to Your call on behalf of Shabrumah." The Prophet (SAW) asked him: "Have you performed your own Hajj?" He replied: “No", whereupon the Prophet (SAW) told him: "You must perform Hajj on your own behalf first, and then for Shabrumah." (Abu Daw'ud and Ibn Majah) Al-Baihaqi says: "Its chain of authorities is sound, and in this regard it is the most genuine report."
Most of the scholars hold that it is not proper for a person to perform Hajj on behalf of others prior to performing it on his own behalf, whether or not he is able or unable to do so.

No Delaying in Islam
Ibn 'Abbas reports: "The Prophet (SAW) said: 'There is no sarorah (delay in performance of obligatory Hajj in Islam).''' (Ahmad and Abu Daw'ud). Al-Khattabi remarks: "The word sarorah has two meanings:
1. a person who does not marry and leads a life of celibacy, like monastic Christians; or
2. someone who has not performed Hajj. In other words this means that no one able to perform Hajj should fail to do so, because in Islam there is no delaying of obligatory Hajj.
Some scholars refer to it as a proof that a person who has not performed Hajj is not allowed to perform Hajj on behalf of others. Malik and Ath-Thawri say: "Such a person's Hajj depends on his own intention."

This is so because of the absence of Ikhlas (sincerity). The Prophet (SAW) said: “What a bad servant [of the Lord] is a servant who erects a barrier between himself and the spiritual reward of Allah (SWT)! I am speaking of a servant, one of the creatures of Allah (SWT), who devotes himself to His service, in the hope of receiving what He has at His disposal, and who exhausts his physical body in the effort to obtain His approval, but who makes a public show of his religious devotion which is thereby rendered invalid.” We seek refuge with Allah from being in this class of servant.

Getting a Loan for Hajj
The question of taking a loan to finance Hajj has been raised a couple of times. It deserves mention here due to the fact that we live in the times where everything we do is financed via loan. Abdullah ibn Abi 'Awfa relates: "I asked the Prophet (SAW) about a man who has not performed Hajj, 'Should he not get a loan to perform Hajj?' The Prophet (SAW) replied: 'No"' (Al-Baihaqi).
This hadith shows clearly that you cannot take a loan/borrow to perform the Hajj. This is so as one of the major requirements is the ability to provide the finance for the trip from halal (lawful) source. Additionally, Islam does not put a burden on any soul other than what the soul can bear. We are simply reminded to “let the rich man spend according to his means and the man whose resources are restricted, let him spend according to what Allah has given him. Allah puts no burden on any person beyond what He has given him, Allah will grant after hardship, ease” (Q65:7). The issue of debt is a serious one in Islam and should not be trivialized. You should only borrow in case of extreme necessity.
The hajj trip is one of a journey to eternity. If it pleases Allah he will allow you come back home. As such when you set out for Hajj you prepare to meet Allah. The Prophet (SAW) said that an accepted Hajj is rewarded with jannah same as he had said that a Shahid (martyr) will enter jannah without rendering any account but if he is indebted, he will have to pay for it before he is allowed to enter jannah. This same rule applies for the one embarking on hajj; nothing like debt should be a hindrance to his entry into jannah.
In a book, Al-Muhazhib, we read: "If someone has the money to buy provisions and the passage to Hajj but he needs it to pay his debts, Hajj is not binding on him, whether the settlement of the debt is required immediately or is due after a time. The debts that are due for immediate settlement must be paid at once, whereas the Hajj may be performed later on in life. But if he spends all that he has on Hajj he may not be in a position to pay off his debt."

In the case where the loan taken is subject to interest payment, the following concerns need to be addressed:
1. Allah forbids the charging and payment of interest on loans. Even though some scholars are trying hard to provide justifications for current financial practice of charging interest, it is really not desirable to take the loan for a reason that is not compelling as per the guidance in Q65:7 quoted earlier.
2. A Muslim is advised to minimize his level of indebtedness as the Prophet (SAW) pray daily against being in debt - ‘O Allah, I take refuge in You from anxiety and sorrow, weakness and laziness, miserliness and cowardice, the burden of debts and from being over powered by men.’

Performing Hajj with Unlawfully Gained Money
Someone performing Hajj with unlawfully gained money, may technically fulfil his prescribed duty of pilgrimage, but according to the majority of the scholars, he will be guilty of sin for doing so. Imam Ahmad disagrees and holds that such a Hajj is not enough for a person to absolve him of his prescribed obligation, and this is more correct as the sahih hadith says: "Surely, Allah is Pure, and He does not accept anything but what is pure (and clean)."
Abu Hurairah (RA) reported that the Prophet (SAW) said: "As soon as a pilgrim sets out for Hajj with a provision which is lawful, and puts his foot in the stirrup (rides his mount – now airplane) and calls out: 'O, Allah! Here I am in response to Your call,' an announcer answers him from the heavens above, saying: 'Your call has been heard; you are a happy one; your provisions are lawful, your mount is lawful and your pilgrimage is free of sin and acceptable.' But, if his provisions are unlawfully gained, and he puts his foot in the stirrup and calls out: 'O Allah! Here I am in response to Your call,' an announcer from the heavens above answers him back, saying: ‘Your call is not accepted; nor are you welcome; your food is unlawful; your provisions are unlawful; and your pilgrimage is not free of sin and is unacceptable."' Al-Munzhri says: "This is reported by At-Tabarani in Al-Awsat, and also by Al-Asbahani in a mursal hadith from Aslam, the freed slave of 'Umar bin al-Khattab."
Doing Business and Leasing Rides During Hajj
There is no harm if a pilgrim engages in trade and business during Hajj or 'Umrah. Ibn 'Abbas (RA) said: "In the beginning when Hajj was prescribed, the people used to trade at Mina, 'Arafah, and the market place of Zhul-Majaz (A place close to 'Arafah) during the Hajj season, but they feared it might be forbidden for them while in a state of ihram. Thereupon Allah revealed the verse (Q2:198): "It is no crime in you if you seek of the bounty of your Lord (during pilgrimage)." This is reported by Bukhari, Muslim and Nasa'i.
Commenting on the above verse, Ibn 'Abbas adds: "The people used to shun business while in Mina, so they were instructed to engage in business or trade while pouring down from 'Arafah.''ls Abu Omamah At-Taimi narrates that he said to Ibn 'Umar: "I rent mounts to people during Hajj season, and the people tell me that my Hajj is void." Ibn 'Umar asked him: "Do you not don Hajj garb, say talbiyah, go around the House of Allah, pour down from 'Arafah, and stone the Satan?" The man said, "Yes, I do." Ibn 'Umar said: "Then your Hajj is quite valid (and you will be rewarded for it). A person came to the Prophet (SAW) and asked him something similar to what you asked me, whereupon the Prophet (SAW) remained silent until this verse (Q2:198) was revealed to him: "It is no crime in you if you seek the bounty of your Lord (during Hajj season)." Then the Prophet (SAW) sent for the man and recited the verse to him, saying: "Your Hajj is valid." [Abu Daw'ud and Sa'id ibn Mansur].
Ibn 'Abbas says that a man asked him: "I hire myself to these people to guide them in performing their rites of Hajj; will I have a reward for Hajj?" Ibn 'Abbas said: "Yes." (And then he recited)
"To these will be allotted what they have earned; and Allah is quick in account.'' (Q2:202)
This is transmitted by Al-Baihaqi and Ad-Daraqutni.

O servants of Allah! Know that “Allah sends His Salutations on the Prophet (Muhammad – SAW) and also His angels too (ask Allah to bless and forgive him). O you who believe! Send your salutations on him (Muhammad – SAW), and (you should) greet him with peace.” [Q33:56]

O Allah grant honour to Islam and the Muslims. Let the Hajj of the Hujjaj be accepted, with sins forgiven, and a well appreciated efforts. Forgive us, and have mercy upon us, pardon our sins that You only know, You are the Most Honored and Dignified. O Allah! Grant us good in this world and good in the hereafter, and protect us from the torment of the fire.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hajj - Sundry Matters by xclusive43(m): 11:39am On Sep 09, 2016
Jazak Allahu khairan

2 Likes

Re: The Hajj - Sundry Matters by kingawo(m): 12:23pm On Sep 09, 2016
may Allah (swt) bless u more..

2 Likes

Re: The Hajj - Sundry Matters by brightlomo(m): 12:30pm On Sep 09, 2016
jazakum lahu hairan

1 Like

Re: The Hajj - Sundry Matters by Musharraf: 12:34pm On Sep 09, 2016
JazakaLLAHU khayran

1 Like

Re: The Hajj - Sundry Matters by Usernamesucks: 3:01pm On Sep 09, 2016
Ameen. Jazaka Allah khairan

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Do We Really Worship An Almighty God? (tough Questions For Tbaba) / Calling Of Early Morning Prayer(solat Subuhi) / Shirk/mushrik; An Example Of Intolerance?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.