Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,702 members, 7,831,192 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:18 PM

Top 10 Lies People Still Believe In Modern Times - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Top 10 Lies People Still Believe In Modern Times (1124 Views)

Tchidi Chikere: "I Don’t Believe In Biafra As A Geographical Entity” / ''I Don't Believe In Marriage'' - Toyin Lawani Confesses / Kenneth Okonkwo: I'm Not A Defence Counsel To Kanu, I Believe In One Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 Lies People Still Believe In Modern Times by ItuExchange(m): 12:50pm On Aug 26, 2016
What are the top 10 lies — wrong things, ideas that people believe in modern world?

Here are 10 outrageous lies people somehow still believe in:

10. Christopher Columbus proved that the Earth was round

Actually, a Greek scientist named Eratosthenes already proved the Earth was round about a good 2,000 years before his time or so. The truth: Columbus thought reaching Japan would take quicker if you go west. Little did he know.

9. Slavery is over

There is a reason why we still hear about outrageous human rights infractions on the news, you know? (cough cough Free the Children cough cough)

8. JFK accidentally said ‘I am a doughnut’ instead of ‘I am a Berliner’

What JFK said was ‘Ich bin ein Berliner’. Of course, he did do a mistake with his grammar (drop the ein and then we’re good) but you can’t assume if you call someone a Berliner you call someone a donut. That’s just ridiculous. In fact, doughnut in German is Krapfen. That does not sound like Berliner AT ALL.

7. Caesar was born via cesarean section

This is an easy mistake. Cesarean section was named after Julius Caesar after all. But Roman law says that C-sections can only be done if the mother is already dead. And Caesar’s mother, Aurelia, lived until 10 years before Caesar’s death, so, Caesar was not born by C-section.

6. Presidents have executive power over everything

Not everything. Presidents are leaders of their political parties that control the country’s legislature, but that doesn’t mean free rein over everything. And then there’s the scenario where the President is of one political party but the legislature is ruled by another. Yeah, the President probably isn’t going to do whatever he wants in that scenario.

5. Noah’s Ark

Ah, Noah’s Ark. The ship built by the Biblical figure Noah to transport all the animals. Yet, how is this possible? The biggest ship we have ever built was the cruise ship Harmony of the Seas, with a capacity of 6,360. How much species are there in the world? 8.7 million. And Noah’s Ark, how big is it? Smaller than the Titanic, which can only carry 3,327 people max.

4. Einstein failed math

The inspiring story that many parents tell struggling kids. “Oh, you got a D- on your math test. No worries! Einstein got that same mark too when he was your age!” FALSE. On the contrary, Einstein learned calculus when he was still in middle school. He himself said that.

3. The Taste Bud Chart

Remember this chart? It says that for different flavors there are different taste buds on different sides of the tongue. Well, how about you eat a bitter thing but only taste it with the front of your tongue and see how that feels? ANSWER: Still tastes bitter.

2. Columbus discovered the New World

Yes, another Columbus myth!

People still believe that the 1492 voyage of Christopher Columbus was the first instance of Europeans going to the New World. Well, 400 years ago, the Vikings landed on the northern tip of Newfoundland, and called it Vinland, and they stayed there for about 30 years before the Natives drove them out. Yeah, that’s completely false.

1. It is unnatural to be gay

This myth is very widespread. You still remember from your childhood that someone called you ‘gay’ for something and meant it as an insult, saying you are unnatural or something.

However, homosexuality is present in a lot of nature’s animals. Here is an incomplete list: bison, bears, rats, elephants, foxes, chickens, sparrows, salmon, ravens, ostriches, seagulls, penguins, emus, rattlesnakes, salamanders, wasps, scarab beetles, monarch butterflies, caribou, giraffes, koalas, orcs, lions, raccoons, chimpanzees, cows, lizards, dolphins, cats, dogs, goats, ants, flies, crickets etc. etc.

And I said it’s an incomplete list.

Source: https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-top-10-lies-%E2%80%94-wrong-things-ideas-that-people-believe-in-modern-world

Neteller here: www..com.ng
Re: Top 10 Lies People Still Believe In Modern Times by Nobody: 1:09pm On Aug 26, 2016
Op you deserve this..... kiss
Re: Top 10 Lies People Still Believe In Modern Times by thesicilian: 1:26pm On Aug 26, 2016
Well done OP. I will agree with you on all points, except No. 5. If the Bible says so, then it is true. It is a biblical point if view, it is not amenable to 'conventional reason'. Period.
Re: Top 10 Lies People Still Believe In Modern Times by Nobody: 7:07pm On Aug 26, 2016
Educative. Informative. Amazing. Enlightening.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Adorable Photos Of Comedian Ushbebe's Son Nolan / A Desperate Upcoming Musician Want To Feature Wizkid But Lacks Funds / Cossy Orjiakor Puts Her Boobs On Display With Only A Nigerian Flag Covering Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.