Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,299 members, 7,819,008 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:55 AM

Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act (4487 Views)

Ice-Prince Wins "Best African Act" At BET Awards 2013 / Dbanj Wins ‘Best African Act’ At 2012 MOBO Awards / D’banj Named Best-African Act At MTV Europe Music Awards 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by Nobody: 5:16pm On Oct 02, 2009
MOBO o MOBO
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by MUNEER2(m): 5:49pm On Oct 02, 2009
zimik:

[color=#770077][/color] I AM HAPPY FOR HER. IS LIKE IBO GIRLS ARE MAKING WAVES.

Una don start your tribalism again, haba!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by banom(m): 5:52pm On Oct 02, 2009
Igbos girl, Ride on,

shame on Hausas and Yorubas.
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by hackney(m): 6:23pm On Oct 02, 2009
Welldone to her on a personal level.
That's all there is to it though the ND struggle may have inspired her songs.
Status quo all the way.
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by mrperfect(m): 6:43pm On Oct 02, 2009
I thank God for her life.
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by 8words(m): 7:58pm On Oct 02, 2009
oh girl na aga n'ihu mana a anubeli m egwu mbu.
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by oge4real(f): 9:34pm On Oct 02, 2009
How come I have never heard of this Nneka girl?
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by namebedis: 9:43pm On Oct 02, 2009
She sounds alot like Asa.
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by mahal(m): 10:03pm On Oct 02, 2009
Started loving her songs recently when i heard "Heartbeat"
and the earlier version she did with Chase & Status
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by blackspade(m): 10:08pm On Oct 02, 2009
Congratulations!!

What is MOBO??
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by omar22(m): 11:45pm On Oct 02, 2009
i watched the MOBO'S on BBC3 , hehehehe. i watched her pick up her awards. i liked it the part when she said naija for life.

MOBO'S is nothing but a joke. they always fail to bring in A-list artists. the awards is nothing but a joke. kanya king needs a rethink about the the MOBOS. In the good MOBO'S day's they had people like victoria and david beckham, mel b and destiny child. i think it's all to do wit black artitist, when they are new on the scence they attend the MOBOS', as soon as they start selling millions of  record's  they turn their backs on the MOBO'S. when leona lewis won x factor, she was @ the MOBO'S but she did not turn up the following year despite the fact that she was dominated, when she was announced as the winner, she was boobed which served her right, by the way british people voted for her on x factor so y the hell is she always in LA.  alexandra burke presented an award but she did not sing her new single (bad boys) which i have to say is crap. she can do better than that. beyounce was dominated and won an award, she's on tour. she's bn a no-show for years. sean paul was also dominated and won but was as usual a  no- show. y do d organisers keep giving the no-shows award. tinchy trider has sold over a million singles and 150,000 in album sales, so why did he not win any award. as for kelly roland, she's was apparently acting like a diva all night and had her sunglasses on all night. she should thank her lucky stars her single reached n0 1 thanks to david guetter. her record label dropped her a couple of months because no one was buying her singles and album so shame on her for saying MOBO messed up her sound system. am happy for jls. i hope they are not one hit one wonders because the uk music scene are not very good as managing r & b boybands.

I dont blame the celeb for not showing up, the award show is a joke, I know most of the organisers and if they had their way Africans wont get anything, the award for African music was recently added, now the winner, is a bit head scratching even when I saw the nominee last week was strange, but nobody saw it coming, the reason wwhy it was taken to Scotland is because the knew they wont sell any tickets in London, nobody takes notice of them anymore, Craig David was never recognised but JLS who started 6 months ago got an award, Tim Westwood won FOR WHAT!!!
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by whiteroses(f): 11:56pm On Oct 02, 2009
i dint think they'd give nigerians any chance at it since tuface broke his own on stage while giving the appreciation speech embarassed
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by dipo2much(m): 12:24am On Oct 03, 2009
Apparently,a lot of ppl dont know Tinchy. That guy was the shit and deserved some awards
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by chic2pimp(m): 12:30am On Oct 03, 2009
blackspade:

Congratulations!!

What is MOBO??
Music Of Black Origin is the uk's version of US's B.E.T Awards.
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by blaksril(m): 12:58am On Oct 03, 2009
Nneka does great music with lovely lyrical content unlike the mass of watered down music in naija. Her stuff isnt ur everyday commercial music. She cud b put in the class of Asa. GO GIRL!!!
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by Tats(m): 1:55am On Oct 03, 2009
Had been seeing one of her songs snd its video coming up more frequently in Itunes in the last several weeks and was wondering who she was.
Anyway, interesting songs she's got in her album and her passion for her country is great.
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by mandyluv(f): 3:24am On Oct 03, 2009
wow am proud of nneka, was well suprised wen her song was being played at my university freshers week, i was dere jumping nd shouting dat girl is frm my country, hehehehehe wow, wll done 2 my boiz jls bt i fink tinchy my boo deserved an award
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by dreeldee: 9:15am On Oct 03, 2009
Awesome! I just heard her songs for the first time, she's not enjoying the publicity that should be enjoying now, that girl needs to head to Hollywood straightaway, that's where she belong smiley
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by chrisical(m): 10:03am On Oct 03, 2009
Good for her.Now she will enjoy the attention she hadn't got before her award.
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by Nezan(m): 10:31am On Oct 03, 2009
Good!
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by vanitty: 4:42pm On Oct 03, 2009
She is gorgeous . . . . nice song as well
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by Nobody: 8:57pm On Oct 03, 2009
I don't support the choice of this girl as ''Best African Act'' by the MOBO organisers.

Her selection has to do more with her mixed race ancestry than anything else. The black British Jamos are the most colomentalised beings on the face of the planet, for whom ''mixed race'' instantly means ''better'', and they control MOBO.

Nneka has no following in Africa, has done no concerts, no tours, and has pushed no CD on the continent.

She's not done the legwork. She's not paid her dues. How then is she the ''best African act'' and by what criteria? Her popularity in Germany?

When will Africans say enough of these foreigners spitting on us?

Can MOBO ever dare pluck out some unknown girl from America and award her ''best American artiste'' or ''Best R&B act''?

Hell no they can't, because that would instantly drive their credibility down to zero.

But it's Africa, so anything goes. (With certain dumb Africans applauding)

Needless to add there are several artistes from Nigeria alone far more deserving of that recognition - P Square, Naeto C, Asa, D Banj, Olu Maintain - take your pick.
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by AfroCynic: 9:04pm On Oct 03, 2009
ROSSIKE:

I don't support the choice of this girl as ''Best African Act'' by the MOBO organisers.

Her selection has to do more with her mixed race ancestry than anything else. The black British Jamos are the most colomentalised beings on the face of the planet, for whom ''mixed race'' instantly means ''better'', and they control MOBO.

Nneka has no following in Africa, has done no concerts, no tours, and has pushed no CD on the continent.

She's not done the legwork. She's not paid her dues. How then is she the ''best African act'' and by what criteria? Her popularity in Germany?

Can MOBO ever dare pluck out some unknown girl from America and award her ''best American artiste'' or ''Best R&B act''?

Hell no they can't, because that would instantly drive their credibility down to zero.

Needless to add there are several artistes from Nigeria alone far more deserving of that recognition - P Square, Naeto C, Asa, D Banj, Olu Maintain - take your pick.

As much it pains me to say so, I agree. I like Nneka and I have a couple of albums by her but she has no following in Africa, she is more of a European product, I think the winner of the award oughta be popular in Africa, like D'banj is or Batman Samini when he won,
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by Nobody: 12:02am On Oct 04, 2009
Thanks for that. Funnily enough, the first I ever heard about her was yesterday on learning she'd won the MOBOs 'Best African' act, and I was like, ''Nneka who''

Then I said to myself,  ''I bet she's mixed race, they'd never award it to a full black whom no one had heard much about.''

And sure enough I was right.

Mshewwwwww.
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by dejiariyo: 1:24am On Oct 04, 2009
ROSSIKE:

This just show how low the brain of the average nigeria youth has become, if all these pple u mention get more recognised than acts with great lyrical and meaningful message like asa,ayo and nneka then something must be wrong somewhere.

i think you paranoid for bringing the whole mixed race issue into all this discussion again u just another typical black brain, that always have someone to blame for their failures, nneka was born in nigeria and grew up there till she was 20 does that make her any less nigerian?Asa was born in paris so if u see asa winning award then its cos she was born in paris and not lagos right? u lots shud just sit ur head and think before u post.
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by africhika(f): 2:01am On Oct 04, 2009
i've been listening to nneka's music for years.
but, i can't stand her voice.
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by Nobody: 4:30am On Oct 04, 2009
Deji ariyo said:

This just show how low the brain of the average nigeria youth has become, if all these pple u mention get more recognised than acts with great lyrical and meaningful message like asa,ayo and nneka then something must be wrong somewhere.

Please spare me your balderdash. I suppose we now need Jamaicans to now tell us who has great lyrical content or not in African music? Have they sorted out their own crap ass lyrics first?

And there's DEFINITELY more to good music than  ''lyrical content'', whatever the hell that really means.

Just because something an artiste sings makes no sense to YOU doesn't mean it makes no sense to OTHERS - especially if the artiste is SELLING and is POPULAR. So stick your arrogant  sniffy crap up your asss where it belongs.

i think you paranoid for bringing the whole mixed race issue into all this discussion again u just another typical black brain

Well, a typical white brain would similarly reject an award for ''Best European Artiste'' to someone that's unknown in Europe, and likewise the typical American brain.

You really need to give more credit to us ''typical black brains''.

YOU are a typical  colonised African brain who can't see when he's being shafted and spat on .

that always have someone to blame for their failures

What failures exactly dude? D Banj is no failure. PSquare are no failures. They are huge successes with millions of adoring fans across Africa. All we are saying is it is an insult to label some unknown singer that's been chasing fans in Germany and Romania as ''best African act'' while these guys have been chugging away, touring and entertaining millions AND SELLING RECORDS in AFRICA. I know you're far too ignorant to see where I'm coming from. But I'll educate your lame asss brain anyhow.

nneka was born in nigeria and grew up there till she was 20 does that make her any less nigerian?
I couldn't give a rat's asss where she was born. WHAT HAS SHE DONE MUSICALLY AND WHERE?

If someone decides to go chase after fans in Germany or Holland, singing music which nobody in Africa understands or can relate to, you better have a darn good reason for naming such a person ''Best African Act''. And being mixed race and popular out in Germany is NOT one of them. Get it? If she is no use in Africa, then she positively is NOT the ''Best African Act'', gerrit?

Thought not.

Asa was born in paris so if u see asa winning award then its cos she was born in paris and not lagos right? u lots shud just sit your head and think before u post

I named Asa as a more worthy recipient of such an honour so I've no idea where you're going with that. She has cultivated vigorously the AFRICAN market, and AFRICAN fans, and has held concerts across AFRICA. She is KNOWN in AFRICA. Has sold RECORDS IN AFRICA.

Big, big difference.

Tell me, don't you demand equal treatment for Africans or are you happy to be considered inferior?

Do you think MOBO could ever in a million years award an unknown American with no fan base in the States ''best Rnb act''? Or ''Best American Act''?

Answer=no

So why would you accept such shabbiness in their treatment of Africa?

Do you have a working brain in that thing you call your head?
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by omar22(m): 12:00pm On Oct 04, 2009
The black British Jamos are the most colomentalised beings on the face of the planet

Spot on, Jamaicans cant stand Africans let alone Nigerians, all off a sudden the award went from 9ICE (2008) to Nneka!!!! MOBO was created because the BRITS Award has one award for urban music, the show is a joke, When you look at the MTV Africa award the nominees for last year

Best Female
Wahu
Aṣa
Dama Do Bling
Sasha P
Zonke
Winner - Wahu
[edit]

Best Male
Jua Cali
2Face
D’Banj
DJ Cleo
HHP
Winner - D'Banj

[edit] Best Live Performer
Samini
D’Banj
P-Square
Cassette
Jozi
Winner - Jozi

[edit] Best Group
P-Square
Freshly Ground
Jozi
The Parlotones
East African Bashment Crew
Winner - P-Square

[edit] Best Alternative
Buraka Som Sistema
Goldfish
Seether
The Parlotones
Coldplay
Winner - Seether

[edit] Best Hip-Hop
9ice
HHP
Professor Jay
Lil Wayne
The Game
Winner - 9ice

[edit] Best R&B
P-Square
Akon
Loyiso
Alicia Keys
Rihanna
Winner - Alicia Keys

[edit] Artist of the Year
Aṣa
D’Banj
P-Square
HHP
Seether
Winner - D'banj

[edit] Best New Act
Kwaw Kese
Wahu
9ice
Naeto C
Da L.E.S.
Winner - Naeto C

[edit] Best Video
Movaizhaleine – Nous
Ikechukwu – Wind Am Well
P-Square – Roll It
Freshlyground – Pot Belly
Pro Kid – Uthini Ngo Pro
Winner - Ikechukwu – Wind Am Well

[edit] MAMA legend award
Fela Kuti
[edit] Listener's choice award
Jax Panik – "Cigarettes and Cinnamon"
D’Banj – "Why Me"
Naakaya – "Mr. Politician"
JB Mpiana - "Zadio Kongolo"
P Unit (featuring DNA) – "Una"
Toniks – "Beera Nange"
Ofori Amponsah (featuring Samini) – "Odwo"
Winner - * D’Banj – "Why Me"

[edit] My Video
Jide Rotilu, Adetoro Rotilu, Razor BleeG

To a list of Jamaican sweatners, no wonder so many top Artist boycott the show and these artist did travel to Abuja for the MTV show
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by franctony(m): 4:20pm On Oct 04, 2009
aren't there igbos here again, let us congratulate this girl as our own. no fear any battle tongue tongue tongue
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by chic2pimp(m): 8:21pm On Oct 04, 2009
omar22:

Spot on, Jamaicans cant stand Africans let alone Nigerians, all off a sudden the award went from 9ICE (2008) to Nneka!!!! MOBO was created because the BRITS Award has one award for urban music, the show is a joke, When you look at the MTV Africa award the nominees for last year
U certainly got that part right wink cool.
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by dejiariyo: 9:14pm On Oct 04, 2009
ROSSIKE:

Deji ariyo said:

Please spare me your balderdash. I suppose we now need Jamaicans to now tell us who has great lyrical content or not in African music? Have they sorted out their own crap ass lyrics first?

And there's DEFINITELY more to good music than  ''lyrical content'', whatever the hell that really means.

Just because something an artiste sings makes no sense to YOU doesn't mean it makes no sense to OTHERS - especially if the artiste is SELLING and is POPULAR. So stick your arrogant  sniffy crap up your asss where it belongs.

Well, a typical white brain would similarly reject an award for ''Best European Artiste'' to someone that's unknown in Europe, and likewise the typical American brain.

You really need to give more credit to us ''typical black brains''.

YOU are a typical  colonised African brain who can't see when he's being shafted and spat on .

What failures exactly dude? D Banj is no failure. PSquare are no failures. They are huge successes with millions of adoring fans across Africa. All we are saying is it is an insult to label some unknown singer that's been chasing fans in Germany and Romania as ''best African act'' while these guys have been chugging away, touring and entertaining millions AND SELLING RECORDS in AFRICA. I know you're far too ignorant to see where I'm coming from. But I'll educate your lame asss brain anyhow.
I couldn't give a rat's asss where she was born. WHAT HAS SHE DONE MUSICALLY AND WHERE?

If someone decides to go chase after fans in Germany or Holland, singing music which nobody in Africa understands or can relate to, you better have a darn good reason for naming such a person ''Best African Act''. And being mixed race and popular out in Germany is NOT one of them. Get it? If she is no use in Africa, then she positively is NOT the ''Best African Act'', gerrit?

Thought not.

I named Asa as a more worthy recipient of such an honour so I've no idea where you're going with that. She has cultivated vigorously the AFRICAN market, and AFRICAN fans, and has held concerts across AFRICA. She is KNOWN in AFRICA. Has sold RECORDS IN AFRICA.

Big, big difference.

Tell me, don't you demand equal treatment for Africans or are you happy to be considered inferior?

Do you think MOBO could ever in a million years award an unknown American with no fan base in the States ''best Rnb act''? Or ''Best American Act''?

Answer=no

So why would you accept such shabbiness in their treatment of Africa?

Do you have a working brain in that thing you call your head?

you dont need to rant cos u dont know nothing and u ignorant about the poor girl, most pple do know her and cos u dont dont mean she is unknown or she does not deserve to win, the award is not judged on the basis of ur musical knowledge, i have known nneka for over 2 years now even before asa was popular, she had a concert in newyork in december 2006 and i have listened to her music including the collabo she had with mos def, so stp being ignorant and google up who nneka is.
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by oyinda3(f): 8:51pm On Jan 02, 2010
I heard one song titled[i] Africa[/i] and it put me off so bad i searched her name on the internet and found an interview of her. didn't like her persona either.

basically, I don't enjoy the sound or content of her music. I don't care about the award to know what the requirements are so I can't judge whether she deserved it or not.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Many Songs Do You Have On Your Computer? / Mc Alpha - Esse Nwa Benin / Comedy Meets Sports On Brilla Fm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.