Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:32 AM

Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood (26025 Views)

Video Of Chibok Girls Holding AK-47, Explaining Why They Refused To Return Home / Borno Ministry Of Works & Transport Car Pass Through Bad Road (Photo) / High Court Benin Bad Road (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by conductor1: 6:47pm On Aug 28, 2016

A blog reader sent me pictures of the state of a road leading to Church Of Ascension, Issele-Uku Catholic Diocese of Delta State today. According to the source, the road is neither accessible by leg nor motor vehicles as rainwater has taken over the untarred, undrained street branches off from the Benin-Asaba Expressway in Delta State capital Asaba.

Quoting the message our person sent to Somtoo Okoye blog page on Facebook (corrected for some grammatical errors):
"Somtoo, please help me broadcast this message so that governor Okowa will hear us.
Our parish, Church Of Ascension Catholic Church under Issele Uku Diocese has been entirely cut off by flood. We have sent appeals to the state government over the years but nobody has come to our aid.
This morning, the 7AM mass was deserted by parishioners because they could not access the church compound due to heavy flooding on the road and within the compound. Some cars that went into the rainwater developed faults on the spot while some got stuck. Some people had to remove their shoes and swim the muddy water, some climbed and walked on the fence while some others chose to return home or attend other parishes in Asaba. I'm not even talking about residents of the street or the offices and shops that have abandoned their businesses due to the nature of the street.

As I'm talking to you, our priest Fr. John Konyeke tried to raise money for building of the road. Contractors brought a bill of 4.9 million naira for the construction but after one month, we were only able to raise about 1m naira (including contributions from some landlords and a nearby hotel (Definite-Destiny Hotel) in the area. Other landlords who mostly do not reside in the area did not bother to contribute sha. Our priest was told that partial construction or filling of the road with sand (just like we've done many times) will only make matters worse when another rain comes.
I'm using this opportunity to beg Ifeanyi Okowa and other notable Deltans to come to our aid and the aid of residents of the area.
Thanks."

More pictures:

Source: http://www.somtoo.com/2016/08/church-goers-in-asaba-forced-to-return.html

1 Share

Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by conductor1: 6:49pm On Aug 28, 2016
lalasticlala, seun Inside premises and more pics

Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by CHOPUP411(m): 6:51pm On Aug 28, 2016
With government like this Nigeria is doom

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by OBAFEMIawolowo: 7:19pm On Aug 28, 2016
Asaba has always been like this

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by ifex370(m): 7:30pm On Aug 28, 2016
U NVR see my street..this one is small

2 Likes

Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by ehikwe22: 7:43pm On Aug 28, 2016
What is the purpose of this thread?
Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by conductor1: 9:31pm On Aug 28, 2016
ehikwe22:
What is the purpose of this thread?
To create awareness for people like you who might fall inside the water without facing their front angry

79 Likes

Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by lafuria1(m): 10:35pm On Aug 28, 2016
The whole of Nigeria is messed up, politics makes us hide of our issues and deny having any problems. Some one is already asking about the purpose of this thread. Nobody wants to appear bad. Our attempt of self delusion isn't going to help anyone.

A lot of work needs to be done on our roads, doing road construction doesn't cost much but obviously the government won't bother to be dedicated and pay attention

13 Likes

Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by shamecurls(m): 10:36pm On Aug 28, 2016
Locals should harness the opportunity and start-up a fish pond. #WayToGo

2 Likes

Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by braine(m): 10:37pm On Aug 28, 2016
No part of Delta should be this way. All past governors should be whipped.

3 Likes

Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by Nobody: 10:38pm On Aug 28, 2016
na crime to be Nigerian?

2 Likes

Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by Bizgold: 10:38pm On Aug 28, 2016
Look at wire all over the places, like their is Light in there. That part of Delta state is worse
Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by banme(m): 10:40pm On Aug 28, 2016
I shouldn't say this but .....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by ifeanyi317(m): 10:41pm On Aug 28, 2016
that road still good come to ejigbo in Lagos and see the wonderment of our road or travel from umuahia to uyo or uyo to calabar. if we talk from now till tomorrow is still the same people that will clap for the governor if he open borehole for one village

7 Likes

Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by YonkijiSappo: 10:42pm On Aug 28, 2016
Nigeria, the only place where huge fenced multi million naira mansions sit right next to gullied red mud dirt roads with deadly gaping crevices and a non existent drainage system.
We know how to obtain individual success, but to work together collectively and better ourselves as a people or maintain our public and collective facilities.... katakata go shele.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by firstolalekan(m): 10:45pm On Aug 28, 2016
Welcome to Nigeria
Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by firstolalekan(m): 10:47pm On Aug 28, 2016
YonkijiSappo:
g
banme:
g
For GOAT

4 Likes

Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by banme(m): 10:48pm On Aug 28, 2016
CHOPUP411:

doom abi doomed?
Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by Houseofglam7(f): 10:49pm On Aug 28, 2016
This is pathetic
Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by Zico5(m): 10:49pm On Aug 28, 2016
ifeanyi317:
that road still good come to ejigbo in Lagos and see the wonderment of our road or travel from umuahia to uyo or uyo to calabar. if we talk from now till tomorrow is still the same people that will clap for the governor if he open borehole for one village
Ifeanyi mentioning ejigbo in lagos when issue of asaba is on ground. May u not die on top of yoruba matter.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by VampireeM(f): 10:49pm On Aug 28, 2016
Meanwhile am on my bed thinking of the waist depth, 100m long road ocean I ve to walk across tommorrow from my estate to the busstop on my way to work. As for the yeye construction company causing us this misery God is watching you guys on HD angry
Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by WebSurfer(m): 10:51pm On Aug 28, 2016

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by jideflows(m): 10:56pm On Aug 28, 2016
DELTA SATE @ 25... LOL.. I DEY LOOK AND LAUGH... OWA GOVT.... WE VOTED FOR HIM.. WE HAVE TO ENDURE TILL 2019.... I KNOW SOME OF HIS HOUSE BOYS ARE ON NAIRALAND PLEASE COME AND DEFEND YOUR PAY MASTER.... RUBBISH

4 Likes

Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by jideflows(m): 10:57pm On Aug 28, 2016
WebSurfer:
its like i will personally post a picture to see how worse my own street is, a place sharing a fence with Government house Asaba
BROS EVEN THE TRANSFORMER OPPOSITE GOVT HOUSE GATE WAS VANDALISED... LOL YOUR STREET SMALL..

2 Likes

Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by WebSurfer(m): 10:59pm On Aug 28, 2016
jideflows:
BROS EVEN THE TRANSFORMER OPPOSITE GOVT HOUSE GATE WAS VANDALISED... LOL YOUR STREET SMALL..
you mean that transformer newly installed?

1 Like

Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by kaziblake(f): 11:04pm On Aug 28, 2016
ifeanyi317:
from ile-epo down to iyana ejigbo is better than this except maybe you stay in agbo-ile

2 Likes

Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by Ghost447(m): 11:04pm On Aug 28, 2016
Use canoe please, motor vehicle is not the only means of transport.

4 Likes

Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by Nobody: 11:06pm On Aug 28, 2016
Monthly allocations
13% derivation funds
Taxes from International Oil Companies
Other IGR
NDDC
DESOPADEC

All of the above= 'Olympic Size Swimming Pools' across the streets.

Yet they keep on voting the same party.

7 Likes

Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by mekybabe1: 11:17pm On Aug 28, 2016
You need to see Agungi, lekki after rainfall. This is child's play compared to it.
Re: Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood by sunnymaja(m): 11:23pm On Aug 28, 2016
CHOPUP411:

Before you blame government, take a look at what blocked the drainage. People blocked the drainage and water had to flow back. The day we start to blame ourselves for our errors, there will be a genuine change

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Court Orders Seizure Of Bukola Saraki’s Houses In Ikoyi / IPMAN Says It Can Force Down Prices Of Petrol / How Do You Put Atiku, Buhari And Tinubu In One Political Pot? – Lamido

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.