Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,707 members, 7,816,908 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:55 PM

How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? (39755 Views)

Stop Weeping, Arm Benue People To Defend Themselves, Sagay Tells Ortom / Okoi Obono-Obla: "Biafra Referendum Legally & Politically Impossible" / Governor Ikpeazu In Arm Wrestling With A Chinese Investor In Abia (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by mikolo80: 9:00pm On Sep 03, 2016
khadaffi:

Are you kidding me? Did you understand what I wrote before you quoted me? In Nigeria citizens are not allowed to own guns. I'm talking about what the constitution allows here. The pump action you mentioned there, as far as govt is concerned, they are issued to hunters. I'm talking about the constitution recognizing the security threat and allowing citizens to own guns for protection not those hunter stuff.
Show me the law
My grandfather not a hunter
He carried a bolt action rifle at all times
A neighbour had a double barrel shotgun
Stop displaying massignorance
You're supposed to be educated
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by khadaffi(m): 9:24pm On Sep 03, 2016
mikolo80:

Show me the law
My grandfather not a hunter
He carried a bolt action rifle at all times
A neighbour had a double barrel shotgun
Stop displaying massignorance
You're supposed to be educated

Your grand father carried a bolt action, what kind of license was he having? That your neighbor, what kind of license does he have? If you don't know the type of license they have, please stop quoting me, because its beginning to appear I'm talking to a kid.
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by LorDBolton(m): 2:02am On Sep 04, 2016
mikolo80:
said the dullard
If you don't vex your neighbour why will he attack you with cutlass or gun
All I need is a Biro to gut you like a fish
People not inanimate objects kill people
Think before you talk
You go school
Pretend like you learnt something

Now this is Dull... and ignorant.
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by alexis(m): 3:23am On Sep 04, 2016
mikolo80:
without the nra the 2nd amendment would be history by now but yes thank goodness for the founding fathers wisdom

The constitution was written in 1778, the NRA was formed in 1871. Laws can't change what are stipulated in the constitution especially amendments. For example, the right of abortion wasn't in the constitution, it was a case law determined by the supreme court and as a result, women in the US can have abortion. Even on a higher level, the right to bear arms and the right of the press and right to practice your religion can't be compared to that of abortion which means they exist similarly like the right to life as stated in the constitution. The constitution protects the right to bear arms, the NRA lobbies for that right.
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by alexis(m): 3:30am On Sep 04, 2016
mikolo80:
how is effective range 2 things

What did you explain effective range as in relation to the AK 47?
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Thisnut(m): 10:27am On Sep 04, 2016
mikolo80:
until it jams on you then you will realise why the AK is the most popular weapon on the planet
if you clean your rifle well with CLP after every use, you should not be worried about jams. Any assault rifle will jam if not well taken care of.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by mikolo80: 12:56am On Sep 05, 2016
Thisnut:
if you clean your rifle well with CLP after every use, you should not be worried about jams. Any assault rifle will jam if not well taken care of.
why should I burden myself with rifle cleaning when there is a war to fight
do you know how many important things I can be doing while you're cleaning rifle
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by mikolo80: 1:00am On Sep 05, 2016
alexis:

What did you explain effective range as in relation to the AK 47?
I never did
effective range simply means that that is as far as the human eye can see a target unaided
most assault rifles can still kill at 6 to 800 yards/metrs with a scope
maximum range of the ak is actually over 4km altho by then the bullet cant do much damage if any
and I did not learn that online BTW
Trained by the army's best

1 Like

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by mikolo80: 1:02am On Sep 05, 2016
alexis:

The constitution was written in 1778, the NRA was formed in 1871. Laws can't change what are stipulated in the constitution especially amendments. For example, the right of abortion wasn't in the constitution, it was a case law determined by the supreme court and as a result, women in the US can have abortion. Even on a higher level, the right to bear arms and the right of the press and right to practice your religion can't be compared to that of abortion which means they exist similarly like the right to life as stated in the constitution. The constitution protects the right to bear arms, the NRA lobbies for that right.
the law was made for man
not man for the law
all laws can change
unless the few decide to put their money where their mouth is to change or defend said law
without the NRA uncle sam would've almost disarmed you guys

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by alexis(m): 3:09pm On Sep 05, 2016
mikolo80:
the law was made for man
not man for the law
all laws can change
unless the few decide to put their money where their mouth is to change or defend said law
without the NRA uncle sam would've almost disarmed you guys

What does it mean the law was made for man and not man for the law as related to this discussion? Laws can't change what is stated in the constitution. Congress can't make laws that go against the right of the press or the right to bare arms. It can happen in Nigeria but not here. I have tried to tell you that several times.

If you think the NRA is the only group that lobbies for the right to bare arms then it's apparent you need more education when it comes guns ownership
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by alexis(m): 3:10pm On Sep 05, 2016
mikolo80:
I never did
effective range simply means that that is as far as the human eye can see a target unaided
most assault rifles can still kill at 6 to 800 yards/metrs with a scope
maximum range of the ak is actually over 4km altho by then the bullet cant do much damage if any
and I did not learn that online BTW
Trained by the army's best

Since you didn't, then I assumed wrongly smiley
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by mikolo80: 8:52pm On Sep 05, 2016
alexis:

What does it mean the law was made for man and not man for the law as related to this discussion? Laws can't change what is stated in the constitution. Congress can't make laws that go against the right of the press or the right to bare arms. It can happen in Nigeria but not here. I have tried to tell you that several times.

If you think the NRA is the only group that lobbies for the right to bare arms then it's apparent you need more education when it comes guns ownership
who else lobbies. Educate me or you're just making stuff up
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by alexis(m): 3:15am On Sep 14, 2016
mikolo80:

Education time grin

1. http://gunowners.org/ = Gun Owners of America (GOA) is a non-profit lobbying organization formed in 1975 to preserve and defend the Second Amendment rights of gun owners. GOA sees firearms ownership as a freedom issue.
2. https://www.saf.org/ = The Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) is dedicated to promoting a better understanding about our Constitutional heritage to privately own and possess firearms. To that end, we carry on many educational and legal action programs designed to better inform the public about the gun control debate.
3. http://www.grnc.org/ = http://www.grnc.org/home/about-grnc'
4. https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/

There are many private and state gun organizations that support the bill of rights and the 2nd amendment. I hope that helps grin
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by mikolo80: 3:56am On Sep 14, 2016
alexis:

Education time grin

1. http://gunowners.org/ = Gun Owners of America (GOA) is a non-profit lobbying organization formed in 1975 to preserve and defend the Second Amendment rights of gun owners. GOA sees firearms ownership as a freedom issue.
2. https://www.saf.org/ = The Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) is dedicated to promoting a better understanding about our Constitutional heritage to privately own and possess firearms. To that end, we carry on many educational and legal action programs designed to better inform the public about the gun control debate.

There are many private and state gun organizations that support the bill of rights and the 2nd amendment. I hope that helps grin
ok you win
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by mikolo80: 4:30am On Sep 14, 2016
alexis:

Education time grin

but I think the nra is number one by dollar amount
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by alexis(m): 3:48pm On Sep 14, 2016
mikolo80:
ok you win

It's not about winning. Good thing that you are aware now.
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by alexis(m): 3:50pm On Sep 14, 2016
mikolo80:
but I think the nra is number one by dollar amount

No doubt about that. The NRA is the 10,000 pound Gorilla when it comes to gun rights and lobbying in the US.
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by mikolo80: 7:40pm On Sep 14, 2016
alexis:

It's not about winning. Good thing that you are aware now.
o no
Of course I knew there will be other pacs and groups
Just that the nra is the most visible
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by alexis(m): 2:27pm On Sep 15, 2016
mikolo80:
o no
Of course I knew there will be other pacs and groups
Just that the nra is the most visible

You stated earlier:

The NRA is the most visible because it has alot of money and influence and that is because it has been around for quite sometime. However, there are other groups that oppose the NRA but fight for guns right and they are gaining alot of traction.
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by mikolo80: 7:22pm On Sep 15, 2016
alexis:

You stated earlier:

The NRA is the most visible because it has alot of money and influence and that is because it has been around for quite sometime. However, there are other groups that oppose the NRA but fight for guns right and they are gaining alot of traction.
I hope they fail
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Buhari4dullard: 7:14am On Sep 22, 2016
mikolo80:
how do you arrest moving target. If you get AK no tell anyone who go arrest you. Talk with sense

dis one is talking like his president!
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by mikolo80: 1:41am On Sep 24, 2016
Buhari4dullard:

dis one is talking like his president!
Huh? Till 2019
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by STONEGEORGE15(m): 7:30am On Sep 24, 2016
Jakumo:

This write up is a fascinating work of fiction that is totally incorrect, from the standpoint of ballistic reality. Clearly the writer of this factually erroneous description has never owned a real gun in his life, but hopes to impress similarly unenlightened readers by baffling them with bullchit accumulated from playing video games and watching old war movies.

A pump action SHOTGUN unleashes a horrific flesh-mangling blast at point-blank ranges within 20 yards, BUT, those pellets only possess a MAXIMUM lethal range of 50 yards at best. Any target beyond 50 yards that is hit by shotgun pellets has a very good chance of escaping with small pellet wounds, and at ranges beyond 100 yards, shotgun pellets may not even retain sufficient energy to penetrate clothing. As a hunter who has used a pump action shotgun to down quarry ranging from fast-flying birds to sprinting deer, I happen to know what I am talking about, from personal experience over many, many years.

A rifle projectile, on the other hand, is capable of blasting gaping holes in flesh, and shattering bone, all the way out to 1 kilometer downrange, depending on the caliber of the projectile fired. The venerable AK47, chambered with the 7.62x39mm cartridge, is a devastating weapon capable of precision fire out to ranges in the region of 80 yards, beyond which accuracy drops off significantly, unless of course the rifle is fitted with a telescopic sight that improves accuracy, such that 200 yard shots can be attempted by steady-handed shooters. My .308 caliber deer rifle, fitted with a high magnification telescopic sight, will make clean deer kills well out beyond 350 yards, when fired from a stable resting position.

Having thoroughly tested the accuracy of an AK47 rifle at the firing range where many crates of ammo were expended at paper targets, I can lay claim to a very deep familiarity with the AK, going beyond mere shooting, and into the realm of complete disassembly and reassembly, which I perform blindfolded with ease, meaning that my observations about this weapon ALSO derive from EXTENSIVE hands-on experience, and not wild, uninformed speculation.

Before taking to the internet to make outlandish claims about subjects one does not truly understand, it would be prudent to bear in mind that not everyone in the targeted audience is guaranteed to be as profoundly ignorant as the pontificating writer.

''Having thoroughly tested the accuracy
of an AK47 rifle at the firing range
where many crates of ammo were
expended at paper targets, I can lay
claim to a very deep familiarity with
the AK, going beyond mere shooting, and into the realm of complete
disassembly and reassembly, which I
perform blindfolded with ease''

Keywords: AK47rifle, firing range, crates of ammo EXPENDED, paper targets, disassembly and reassembly, blindfolded

Which unit are u serving?.
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by yjgm(m): 11:35am On Oct 01, 2016
alexis:

Which one be effective? The guys is talking about accuracy. The reason is simple, the AK47 is made up of very few simple metal parts. It is very easy to assemble and disassemble. Because of these simple metal parts, it loses accuracy with recoil and it's harmonics are disturbed when it rides the railings and hit the back of the rifle.

Also, the hand rail is mostly made of wood which affects it during the heat and even in winter. Same reason it is harder for your door to open during the dry season and summer.

If the argument was that it is durable, then yes - the AK 47 is simple, durable and reliable simply because it has fewer parts. It has a decent calibre in the 7.62 by 39 which can pass through concrete blocks at close range. However, it is not an accurate weapon. The AR15 platform is a much better accurate weapon.

Simple put, I would prefer my enemies all have AK 47 at a long distance fight. At close quarters, they are deadly smiley
I only corrected his assertion that the effective range of AK47 is 100. It is a range of 100-400m. It depends on the capability of the user.
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by yjgm(m): 11:38am On Oct 01, 2016
papaejima1:

Bros have you really used the AK47 in combat and how accurately did it perform under real action and not a shooting range or training scenario?

I am waiting for your answer and pls don't come back with what a textbook said.
I have used it and others (G3, FN etc). I know what am saying. It depends on how you handle it. A marksman will always bring down his target within the effective range.
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Homguy(m): 6:07pm On Apr 29, 2018
lordkhalifa:
already own a double barrel and Dane gun... but the way things are going I need to be more sophisticated and always on alert and look out for Fulani murderers... don't want to be taken unaware, please is there a way to lay my hands on AK47
how did you get these boss?
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Badb0y4lyf(m): 5:20pm On Jan 07, 2020
Jakumo:

You have brought up a very relevant point, Alexis, and it is good to hear from a fellow hunter. I happen to own a 12-gauge Winchester Model 1200 shotgun that I retrofitted for use firing slugs, which for those unfamiliar with the term, are SINGLE lumps of lead, as opposed to the numerous pellets that comprise the payload of a standard shotgun cartridge. I bought that rifled barrel to properly equip myself for buffalo and wild pig hunts, since those species need to be killed on the first shot, lest the hunter becomes the hunted.

The conversion of shotgun to slug gun could be likened to the conversion of a scatter-gun to a rifle. The after-market slug barrel I purchased contains internal grooves, or rifling, that imparts a stabilizing spin to the single projectile, so that it flies straight and true for far greater distances than standard shotgun pellets, before impacting the target and deforming into a very wide mushroom shape that creates gigantic wound channels capable of dropping a buffalo or an elephant in its tracks, if that impact occurs within say 150 yards, before the energy of the round tapers off to non-lethal levels.

While some slug guns have smooth barrels similar to a regular shotgun, the greatest level of accuracy is best obtained by going with a rifled barrel, as I did with my Winchester that I also fitted with a scope, to better serve its role as a tool of negotiation with BIG and MEAN critters. Interestingly, the slug barrel I purchased turned out to be noticeably shorter in length than the stock smooth-bore barrel that came with the gun when new, in contrast with the slug barrel that you mentioned having used.

Aloha

I bring up this old post but very informative @jakumo @Alexis @yjgm
Do you hunt in Africa Nigeria
How possible is it to own a 308 Remington 700 in Nigeria there is now the 6.5 creedmoore which has less recoil and flat trajectory which will do more damage on games am looking to shoot out to at least 500 yards getting a scope isn’t a problem for me I’m also interested in pump action or a double barrel.
Thanks.
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by alexis(m): 8:04pm On Jan 18, 2020
@Badb0y4lyf:

I don't think you can own such firearms in Nigeria and I don't think you can bring them in without some special clearance from a top government official. The .308 and creedmore 6.5 cailbers are good for long distance shooting but you won't find them in 9ja; I am not even sure the government allows it. Infact, I am pretty sure they don't.

Refer to the firearms act in Nigeria: http://www.nigeria-law.org/Firearms%20Act.htm

You can apply for a gun i.e. shotgun at your local police station or the regional police HQ or main HQ but right now, the government is not granting these: https://allafrica.com/stories/201906060338.html

Pocket knives, pepper-spray and other self defense tools are considered as offensive weapons by the police and you can be arrested.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Political War Breaks Out In Warri, Delta. Residents Killed. Graphic Pics / TVC Poll Tags Peter Obi As "Pastor" / Yahoo Posts Offensive Article On Nigeria!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.