Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,671 members, 7,816,760 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:36 PM

How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? (39753 Views)

Stop Weeping, Arm Benue People To Defend Themselves, Sagay Tells Ortom / Okoi Obono-Obla: "Biafra Referendum Legally & Politically Impossible" / Governor Ikpeazu In Arm Wrestling With A Chinese Investor In Abia (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by papaejima1: 4:59pm On Aug 29, 2016
Jakumo:

This write up is a fascinating work of fiction that is totally incorrect, from the standpoint of ballistic reality. Clearly the writer of this factually erroneous description has never owned a real gun in his life, but hopes to impress similarly unenlightened readers by baffling them with bullchit accumulated from playing video games and watching old war movies.

A pump action SHOTGUN unleashes a horrific flesh-mangling blast at point-blank ranges within 20 yards, BUT, those pellets only possess a MAXIMUM lethal range of 50 yards at best. Any target beyond 50 yards that is hit by shotgun pellets has a very good chance of escaping with small pellet wounds, and at ranges beyond 100 yards, shotgun pellets may not even retain sufficient energy to penetrate clothing. As a hunter who has used a pump action shotgun to down quarry ranging from fast-flying birds to sprinting deer, I happen to know what I am talking about, from personal experience over many, many years.

A rifle projectile, on the other hand, is capable of blasting gaping holes in flesh, and shattering bone, all the way out to 1 kilometer downrange, depending on the caliber of the projectile fired. The venerable AK47, chambered with the 7.62x39mm cartridge, is a devastating weapon capable of precision fire out to ranges in the region of 80 yards, beyond which accuracy drops off significantly, unless of course the rifle is fitted with a telescopic sight that improves accuracy, such that 200 yard shots can be attempted by steady-handed shooters. My .308 caliber deer rifle, fitted with a high magnification telescopic sight, will make clean deer kills well out beyond 350 yards, when fired from a stable resting position.

Having thoroughly tested the accuracy of an AK47 rifle at the firing range where many crates of ammo were expended at paper targets, I can lay claim to a very deep familiarity with the AK, going beyond mere shooting, and into the realm of complete disassembly and reassembly, which I perform blindfolded with ease, meaning that my observations about this weapon ALSO derive from EXTENSIVE hands-on experience, and not wild, uninformed speculation.

Before taking to the internet to make outlandish claims about subjects one does not truly understand, it would be prudent to bear in mind that not everyone in the targeted audience is guaranteed to be as profoundly ignorant as the pontificating writer.
grin grin
Clap clap.
Rambo talking.
I love the assembly and disassembly blindfolded part. grin grin

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Aug 29, 2016
Following. And, are there any target practice ranges in Nigeria?
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by OjujuCalabar(m): 5:08pm On Aug 29, 2016
Please this is an interesting topic. Somebody should please guide us, because the way things are going in this country now, every home should have one.

4 Likes

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 5:11pm On Aug 29, 2016
GBTYO:
The law states you can only own a licenced double barrel shotgun.

The firearm is restricted to cartridge shells only and not buck shots.

It is not to be carried in public and is restricted to hunting and home defense.

Pistols, semi automatic and full automatic rifles are completely haram.

Dane guns firing shells are allowed since you don't stand a chance in hell with that crap.

But that doesn't stop the fulanis from getting Ak-47 assault rifles.

Edited..

You are right.. We are only allowed to own guns that have the same kill power as a catapult in Nigeria..

But how then are the Vigilantes in Anambra carrying 12-Guage Shotguns around?

1 Share

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Temitoppe(m): 5:11pm On Aug 29, 2016
as the saying goes
better have a gun and don't need it ; than to need it and don't have it.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Aug 29, 2016
this is a serious topic, how can an individual own a gun legally? and what are the requirements?
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by wrecksfurd(m): 5:14pm On Aug 29, 2016
Wait lemme ask my father, he used to be a hunter. But OP, what do you need one for to start with?
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by deebrain(m): 5:15pm On Aug 29, 2016
GBTYO:

Rely on your Osun juju and leave me with my Fostech Origin 12

Lovely bro.
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Joel3(m): 5:15pm On Aug 29, 2016
what legality are you talking about. go and buy your gun if u need to. Bleep the zoo law. laws are made for the poor and people with no social influence.

come to creek and see children playing with gun like toy.

as I said again. Bleep the law.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by omolola15(m): 5:16pm On Aug 29, 2016
Jakumo:

This write up is a fascinating work of fiction that is totally incorrect, from the standpoint of ballistic reality. Clearly the writer of this factually erroneous description has never owned a real gun in his life, but hopes to impress similarly unenlightened readers by baffling them with bullchit accumulated from playing video games and watching old war movies.

A pump action SHOTGUN unleashes a horrific flesh-mangling blast at point-blank ranges within 20 yards, BUT, those pellets only possess a MAXIMUM lethal range of 50 yards at best. Any target beyond 50 yards that is hit by shotgun pellets has a very good chance of escaping with small pellet wounds, and at ranges beyond 100 yards, shotgun pellets may not even retain sufficient energy to penetrate clothing. As a hunter who has used a pump action shotgun to down quarry ranging from fast-flying birds to sprinting deer, I happen to know what I am talking about, from personal experience over many, many years.

A rifle projectile, on the other hand, is capable of blasting gaping holes in flesh, and shattering bone, all the way out to 1 kilometer downrange, depending on the caliber of the projectile fired. The venerable AK47, chambered with the 7.62x39mm cartridge, is a devastating weapon capable of precision fire out to ranges in the region of 80 yards, beyond which accuracy drops off significantly, unless of course the rifle is fitted with a telescopic sight that improves accuracy, such that 200 yard shots can be attempted by steady-handed shooters. My .308 caliber deer rifle, fitted with a high magnification telescopic sight, will make clean deer kills well out beyond 350 yards, when fired from a stable resting position.

Having thoroughly tested the accuracy of an AK47 rifle at the firing range where many crates of ammo were expended at paper targets, I can lay claim to a very deep familiarity with the AK, going beyond mere shooting, and into the realm of complete disassembly and reassembly, which I perform blindfolded with ease, meaning that my observations about this weapon ALSO derive from EXTENSIVE hands-on experience, and not wild, uninformed speculation.

Before taking to the internet to make outlandish claims about subjects one does not truly understand, it would be prudent to bear in mind that not everyone in the targeted audience is guaranteed to be as profoundly ignorant as the pontificating writer.

God bless you bro. People see the funny side of the post but it's very obvious that dude knows nothing about guns.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by olaolaking: 5:16pm On Aug 29, 2016
GBTYO:

It is not to be carried in public and is restricted to hunting and home defense.

Dane guns firing shells are allowed since you don't stand a chance in hell with that crap.

You still have not mentioned how to get one
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Livefreeordieha(m): 5:17pm On Aug 29, 2016
ur head straight like CDG runway jare...if only dis lad knows how many people own guns..the basic is for wat does he need a gunif na home defense he shouldnt ask..cuz if u kill arm robber 4 ur house na sara..no case which police wan ask u 4 license na good riddance to bad rubbish mode activated..but if u wan use am dey pose and spread like cholera say u get gun..den go hustle license..but listen oooo becareful..just my 1kobo 4u!
GBTYO:

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by dadaha: 5:19pm On Aug 29, 2016
This should help
https://www.nairaland.com/3159808/urgent-need-gun

iHustle336:
I don't know if this is the right section, I wanna know if it is possible to legally acquire and own fire arm in Nigeria as a civilian? If it is possible, please let someone with the requisite knowledge explain how.
Nina4u:
Eligibility

Applicant must be Thirty five years (35) years or older.
Clean criminal record
Doctor's certificate that certifies physical and mental fitness..Required Information

Personal Information
Occupation/Employment Information
Particulars of Firearm
Spousal Information
Next of Kin
Particulars of Applicant
Procedure

(1) Make an application to the Commissioner of Police in your State of residence.
(2) The police will issue you with an application form that will require your bio-data.
Some of the pertinent information required are:
(i) Your full names
(ii) Address
(iii) Reasons for applying for the license
(iv) Date of Birth. Note here that guns are not issued to persons below thirty-five (35) years of age.
(3) Further required to accompany the application form is a medical report that confirms that the applicant’s sanity is normal.
(4) Another medical report is also required on the applicant’s chest. This is to protect the applicant from the sharp retraction that occurs when a gun is fired.
(5) Four (4) clear passport photograph of the applicant is also required.
(6) On obtaining your gun from the nearest gun dealer, prices vary depending on area of purchase; the police should normally register the serial number of the weapon.
(7) Upon a satisfactory appraisal of the application the license is issued in a booklet form, bearing one of the passport photographs of the applicant and carrying the stamp of the state police headquarters.
N.B. Gun licenses are subject to renewal every year for a token fee of five hundred naira (N500.00) only..

Note
A licence shall, unless forfeited, remain in operation until the 31st December of the year in which it was granted.
A licence or permit may be renewed by endorsement thereon at the discretion of the licensing authority who issued the original licence or permit, on payment of the prescribed fee, if any.
The Inspector-General of Police shall maintain in the prescribed form a register of firearms and licences to bear the same issued in each licensing area.
The Inspector-General of Police may issue permits for the withdrawal from an armoury of a firearm or the purchase or withdrawal from an armoury of ammunition.
A permit issued under the regulation shall be valid for a period of sixty days only from the date of issue....Office Locations & Contacts

FEDERAL MINISTRY OF DEFENCE
Defence Headquarters
Opp. Agura Hotel, P.M.B. 196, Area 7
Garki, Abuja
Tel: 09-2340532; 2340533

NIGERIAN POLICE FORCE
Force Headquarters
P.M.B. 56, Abuja, Area 10,
Garki, Abuja.
Tel: 09-2343081; 2340756

Civil Defence, Immigration and Prisons Services Board, Gwagwalada
Address: Federal Secretariat, Gwagwalada, P.M.B. 95, Garki, Abuja.
Phone: +234 9 8821335-6
Customs, Immigration and Prisons Pension Office (CIPPO)
Address: Federal Secretariat, Gwagwalada, P.M.B. 306, Garki, Abuja.
Phone: +234 9

Federal Fire Service
Address: National Headquarters, Area 10, Mohammadu Buhari Way, P.M.B. 43, Garki, Abuja.
Phone: +234 9 2341399, 2341299

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Alexgeneration(m): 5:20pm On Aug 29, 2016
GBTYO:

Rely on your Osun juju and leave me with my Fostech Origin 12

This is FINISHING. Bros pity am na
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by omolola15(m): 5:21pm On Aug 29, 2016
papaejima1:
Yea, a pump action is the koko against a Fulani invader.
I even prefer it to the AK47 in home defence.
While the Ak seems invincible in the hands of an attacker due to its automatic and rapid fire feature, its accuracy is just about 100yrds. The pump action in contrast can do a 300-400 yard shot but its accuracy is not what I am interested in, it is its ability to spit up to 9-20 pellets in the general direction of any invader that I find inviting.

When the invaders come, just put yourself in an area where you won't be hit by direct fire, then draw your box of cartidges close, load up, raise you gun point it in the general direction and let loose. If you can get the 8 round semi auto version then bros you are on the gravy train. With one shot you can fell both the invader and several of his cows!

It is popularly believed that the distinctive sound of a pump action being cycled carries an inherent deterrent effect. grin grin cheesy

Do anyhow, see anyhow!

Bros I see the humor in your post. But you are so wrong with your analysis. You clearly don't know much about gun. Let me call someone to come and educate you. Freeezzz where are you. I need you to come and talk about GUYS.

I hope he is not in sambisa now shooting down Boko. grin grin
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by victorazy(m): 5:23pm On Aug 29, 2016
oyinkinola:

are you a hunter?

grin grin grin
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by InvertedHammer: 5:24pm On Aug 29, 2016
GBTYO:

Legally?

You have a better chance owning a tank than getting this saw legalised in nigeria
/
Buy the parts and retrofit to your specs. The most important part is the receiver. Get a barrel that can handle 7.62 x 39mm ammo. And you are good to go.
\

1 Like

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by planetx: 5:27pm On Aug 29, 2016
Only someone that doesn't know the amount of damage done in a country like the US where almost every Tom dick and harry owns a gun will be advocating that sort of madness in Nigeria. I see people exchanging hot words on the streets of Lagos on a daily basis and you want to put firearms in that equation ? All we need is to empower the police and make them effective, American gun culture is nothing to emulate.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by nkemdi89(f): 5:30pm On Aug 29, 2016
Contact a police man, hunter or a vigilante member for purchase, or make friend with the Dpo or armourer of any police division close to you, so that they will also help you in the purchase or facilitation of the licence. Make sure you are legit in your dealings and join PCRC too. Go for a brand new one so that you won't be accuse of sourcing from a criminal.

3 Likes

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by hardbody: 5:32pm On Aug 29, 2016
Jakumo:

Chisosssx@ the last paragraph. ....

Take it easy bro.

2 Likes

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Legitbaba(m): 5:32pm On Aug 29, 2016
GBTYO:

A shotgun having more effective range than an assault rifle?

An AK has an effective range of 800m. That means it can kill you at 800m.

Shotgun is meant for close quarters and has a much lower effective range.

Other than buck shots, cartridge shells have very limited damage from 20yards.

Guy delete this nonsense now.
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by twinskenny(m): 5:33pm On Aug 29, 2016
kaeforum:
This is Nigeria not America, the only thing you are entitled to is cutlass. grin

lol laugh wan kill me grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by henryobinna(m): 5:33pm On Aug 29, 2016
planetx:
Only someone that doesn't know the amount of damage done in a country like the US where almost every Tom dick and harry owns a gun will be advocating that sort of madness in Nigeria. I see people exchanging hot words on the streets of Lagos on a daily basis and you want to put firearms in that equation ? All we need is to empower the police and make them effective, American gun culture is nothing to emulate.
do you think its only America that allows her citizens to own guns?

1 Like

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by henryobinna(m): 5:35pm On Aug 29, 2016
a simple semi-auto pistol will do.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Aug 29, 2016
Jakumo:

5 Likes

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by hardbody: 5:39pm On Aug 29, 2016
dadaha:
This should help
https://www.nairaland.com/3159808/urgent-need-gun

I read recently where it was posted that you can now apply online, you check the police portal or just google the subject. A certain category of officers either in the military or so will need to be your reference, but i think you can by pass all those with the right contacts, either in the police or firearm sellers. I had contact with both sources, nuff said.

Modified

By the way, i had an offer of N350k for a licence and a pump action....just to give you a fair idea of prices but this was 2 years ago
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by sisisioge: 5:41pm On Aug 29, 2016
Jakumo:

Wowzer! Babaejima got my attention with his vivid description of the guns, you on the other hand have my absolutely attention with your knowledge of the devices. Hmmmm, wetin I sabi? I just know that I would take down any moffoo threatening mine or my family's lives albeit I clamour for peace.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by babyfaceafrica: 5:43pm On Aug 29, 2016
Jakumo:

nice one brom.lots of illiterates here
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by hadura29(m): 5:45pm On Aug 29, 2016
The kind of post that makes you laugh on your way Home.. Naija men dey para gan. Loving the thread and learning
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Saliman22(m): 5:48pm On Aug 29, 2016
You want to kill yourself?
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by jstriker442(m): 5:50pm On Aug 29, 2016
papaejima1:
Yea, a pump action is the koko against a Fulani invader.
I even prefer it to the AK47 in home defence.
While the Ak seems invincible in the hands of an attacker due to its automatic and rapid fire feature, its accuracy is just about 100yrds. The pump action in contrast can do a 300-400 yard shot but its accuracy is not what I am interested in, it is its ability to spit up to 9-20 pellets in the general direction of any invader that I find inviting.

When the invaders come, just put yourself in an area where you won't be hit by direct fire, then draw your box of cartidges close, load up, raise you gun point it in the general direction and let loose. If you can get the 8 round semi auto version then bros you are on the gravy train. With one shot you can fell both the invader and several of his cows!

It is popularly believed that the distinctive sound of a pump action being cycled carries an inherent deterrent effect. grin grin cheesy

Do anyhow, see anyhow!
i be nr 1 comment until i read this. I doff cap fr u boss. Lolz
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by hadura29(m): 5:53pm On Aug 29, 2016
Jakumo:

Nice one, sir are you dead shot from suicide squad?..

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Political War Breaks Out In Warri, Delta. Residents Killed. Graphic Pics / Suicide Bomber Ran Away From Killing Innocent People In Maiduguri / TVC Poll Tags Peter Obi As "Pastor"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.