Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,169 members, 7,821,966 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:58 PM

Does Online Advertisement Work? A Personal Story - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Does Online Advertisement Work? A Personal Story (390 Views)

My Personal Story:How My Venturing Into This Business Changed My Life. / Cheap Advertisement On Lerefootwears..com / Whatrunswhere:how To Ensure Your Online Advertisement Works All The Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Does Online Advertisement Work? A Personal Story by AlphikkaTech: 12:57am On Aug 29, 2016
Back in the 1990's, Anini robbed a lot of banks. When asked why, he responded, “Because that’s where the money is.” Anini may have been a criminal, but it’s hard to argue with his logic. If at this stage of internet buzz/popularity your business have no online presence, then you are being naïve because 'online! that's where the money is' (to put it in Anini's words).

In our country, the internet has become synonymous with the term "Yahoo Yahoo" with most of us being apprehensive of financial transactions over the internet. But the truth is that at this age and time, if your business have no online presence, then you are loosing thousands if not millions of naira as a result of your lack of foresight.
I am not here to argue why you should build a website for your business, or why you should have a Facebook page, I just want to tell you my story. A few years ago, I co-founded Autopin.net, an online education scratch card retailer, although our work on the 'Autopin.net project' goes far back when I was nineteen.
After Autopin.net went live online, I was faced with the tremendous task of making the ecommerce site go viral. My stint with online advertisement began first with Google ads.

My experience with Google ads was one of frustration. I was lucky to get out without holes in my pocket. During my google advertising campaign, we got 223 to visit the site, but not a single soul registered into Autopin.net, talkless of buying a scratch card. This advertising campaign left with a debt of $115 (more than N40, 000) in debt to Google.

After the failed Google advertising campaign, I tried advertising on educational blogs. I called Myschool.com.ng to advertise on their site, but it seems that the guys over their where actually millionaires, so I had to run for my dear life after they sent me their advertising quote. I continued to search for affordable blogs and after a few days I found Efukikata..com. The guy charged me a few thousand naira for a week's advertisement which I gladly paid. My experience advertising on his blog was one of failure and success, all thanks to my learning from my errors with google campaign.

My ad went live on that same day I made payment, so did my advertising problems. The ad was poorly implemented at first. But on the fifth day after making changes to the ad, we began to see users trooping into Autopin.net and registering on the site. It was a great experience even though no one bought any pin.

Lacking money to pay for more ads, I switched to online directories and Nairaland. To my amazement, my skit with Nairaland and online directories paid off. We sold our first scratch card online, and my mobile phone was abuzz with people calling me all over Nigeria requesting for more information about Autopin.net. Then we had a 24 hours customer care policy, people where calling me after mid night. It was quite annoying but my joy surpassed the fact that my sleep was disbursed so I always answered the phone with enthusiasm and happiness. And yes we finally began making money.
Right up till now after I founded my own company Alphikka Technologies, I still receive calls from people enquiring about Autopin.net.

For free advertising consultation, call me on 08160288961. Please call during work hours only and on Saturdays from 12:00pm - 4: 00pm. This days I don't play with my 8 hours sleep schedule.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Quote Of The Day By Don Carter / Free Football Bet Games / Jingles On Radio, Events Coverage, Program Airtime, Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.