Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,895 members, 7,828,157 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:45 AM

Reasons Why You Shouldn't Get A New Flagship Device Every Year. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Reasons Why You Shouldn't Get A New Flagship Device Every Year. (1022 Views)

The New Corning Gorilla Glass 6 Will Make It’s Debut On Oppo’s New Flagship. / Buying A New Flagship Smartphone, Here Are Five Things To Consider Before Buying / Why You Shouldn't Use Your Phone In A Toilet Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why You Shouldn't Get A New Flagship Device Every Year. by ib4real95(m): 10:38am On Aug 29, 2016
With the ever increasing competition between mobile manufacturers, top manufacturers like LG, SONY, SAMSUNG, MOTOROLA, HTC, APPLE and others roll out different flagship devices yearly. A perfect example is the mobile tech giants Samsung, bringing out the galaxy s6 around March 2015 then the s7 around February 2016 and that’s not even up to a year.

Recently the note 7 was released. The truth is most of us do not care about most of this features, you get the new phone play with the new features for about 2 weeks and forget about it. Look at the iris scanner that was introduced to some android phones as a security feature that scans your eyes before granting the user access to the phone. It’s a great feature but most people are so used to their pin, password and pattern lock style and they tend to forget the iris scanner since it feels a little bit sluggish to them while scanning the iris. I am not saying getting a new flagship phone is bad but I think only the power users and geeks that actually use the phones power to the limit actually need the phone not some people who only use the basic social media applications, make regular calls and send texts(Any android phone with 1gb ram can do that).

Another fact to consider is the cost of this flagship devices. The Samsung s7 and lg g5 retails at above 200k plus in Nigerian naira. This devices come at such exorbitant prices and to me it doesn’t make sense buying a device that would get trampled upon by a new flagship device in less than a year. In my opinion why don’t you get a used device that was a flagship device between the last two to three years?

This devices still have a lot of power in them to do the basic things and even run hungry applications and with the help of so many performance enhancing custom roms(popular ones like cyanogen mod and resurrection remix).

Let me use the case of a friend I helped as an example. He was using a Samsung galaxy s4 and due to a lot of apps and all that the phone was lagging badly, takes about 6 seconds to open the dialer, phone restarts sometimes. Touchwiz also had its part it plays in the whole drama. So my friend called me and told me his phone was a pain in his ass. He needed a new and ‘fast’ device but he was ‘broke’. Then I told him I could bring his phone back to life. So I rooted his phone, installed cyanogen mod 12 and voila his device was back to life. He was actually surprised his phone could be that fast and smooth. Till date he uses the phone as a daily driver and he also plays games like fifa 16 and san andreas smoothly. So why don’t you get a phone that wouldn’t cost much and would still be almost as fast as the latest flagships with a little bit of tweaking.

To those who don’t want to break the bank buying latests flagship devices but still need a very good phone with powerful specifications, I currently recommend getting the Samsung galaxy note 4- used ones sell for around 65-80 thousand Nigerian naira.
Source- http://phonyspecs..com.ng/2016/08/reasons-why-you-shouldnt-get-new.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why You Shouldn't Get A New Flagship Device Every Year. by baib(m): 12:38pm On Aug 30, 2016
Boss, I need strong used note 4 how can i get that?
Re: Reasons Why You Shouldn't Get A New Flagship Device Every Year. by ib4real95(m): 3:51pm On Aug 30, 2016
baib:
Boss, I need strong used note 4 how can i get that?
You can search the nairaland technology section for a used note 4 or you order refurbished ones directly from overseas
Re: Reasons Why You Shouldn't Get A New Flagship Device Every Year. by baib(m): 7:39pm On Aug 30, 2016
ib4real95:

You can search the nairaland technology section for a used note 4 or you order refurbished ones directly from overseas
pls, can i get the link to order refurbished ones. Thanks bro
Re: Reasons Why You Shouldn't Get A New Flagship Device Every Year. by tonyeb2k(m): 4:02pm On Aug 31, 2016
ib4real95:

please how can I root my Samsung s4 and make it fast?
Re: Reasons Why You Shouldn't Get A New Flagship Device Every Year. by ib4real95(m): 10:11pm On Aug 31, 2016
tonyeb2k:
please how can I root my Samsung s4 and make it fast?
You need a pc to do this
1- Download cf-auto-root: Click Me
2 - Connect your phone to pc
3 - Open odin
4 - Go to download mode by holding the volume down + home key+ power key at the same time, then press volume up
5 - Extract and Flash the file via odin (AP or PDA)
Link for cf root http://download.chainfire.eu/326/CF-Root1/CF-Auto-Root-ja3g-ja3gxx-gti9500.zip?retrieve_file=1

Then you need to have a recovery.. either use philz recovery or twrp.. google that

Then to make your phone faster you need to change your rom.. search for cm13 for galaxy s4 on xda.. you must search for the exact model of your phone to avoid bricking your phone!

(1) (Reply)

Mtn And Airtel Night Subscription Not Working / Asphalt Xtreme No Road No Rules! / What's Up With Mtn Night Plan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.