Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,581 members, 7,812,900 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:47 PM

Globacom Nigeria Is Recruiting Web Designers - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Globacom Nigeria Is Recruiting Web Designers (1382 Views)

Dragnet Solutions Recruiting Web Designer / Globacom Nigeria Just Totally Ripped Me Off / Signonafrica Is Recruiting Web Developers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Globacom Nigeria Is Recruiting Web Designers by danteweb: 11:15am On Oct 02, 2009
Finally I think Globacom is looking to revamp their very old, tired and embarassing website. Check the link below to see the vacancy.
Hopefully, some Nairaland webmasters would be successful in joining glo.

Globacom Limited, a National Operator in GSM, Fixed, Broadband, Gateway is currently recruiting for Web Designers.

Candidates will have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or other relevant discipline and a post graduate degree will be an added advantage.

Candidates should have 3 – 5 years relevant experience in Web design or Programming or equivalent experience.

Requirements and Experience:

* In-depth knowledge of XHTML, XSLT, XML, CSS, JavaScript, DHTML, Photoshop 7 and above, Adobe CS3 (mainly Dreamweaver and Flash), Secure webforms and SEO
* Knowledge of Ajax, Net, C#, JQuery, MWBP, WCAG, MS Visual Studio 2008, Web 2.0, IIS, SourceSafe and Silverlight
* Knowledge of MYSQL, MS SQL, Oracle is preferred.
* Graphic Experience with Photoshop or Illustrator or ImageReady and Flash or Swish

Method of Application:

Qualified candidate should e-mail their resumes with a passport photograph if possible (quoting the relevant references for the vacancy) to webmaster job@gloworld.com, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.

Closing Date: 7th October, 2009.

http://www.careersnigeria.com/2009/09/28/globacom-nigeria-web-designers.html
Re: Globacom Nigeria Is Recruiting Web Designers by Cactus(m): 2:17pm On Oct 02, 2009
I looked at this and I thought about applying. Decided not to.
It is a good effort been done. Hopefully the person that gets the job will be capable to fix stuff for them.

Good luck to yins
Re: Globacom Nigeria Is Recruiting Web Designers by yawatide(f): 3:09pm On Oct 02, 2009
cactus:
out of curiousity, what are/were your reasons?

Personally, considering they want someone who knows everything under the sun, I wouldn't have applied either wink
Re: Globacom Nigeria Is Recruiting Web Designers by Cactus(m): 3:28pm On Oct 02, 2009
you already know the reason which you have accurately stated

Globalcom wants someone who is capable to do all and they pay one price.

If i was the head of the ict, i would mostly employ two people for what they are looking for.

a designer
a developer

Once you get in, you become a slave.

Also, I think they mentioned java. I am not familiar with java. I have tried avoiding it
Re: Globacom Nigeria Is Recruiting Web Designers by Afam(m): 5:02pm On Oct 02, 2009
Maybe they are looking for web designers that will double as developers but if they expect one person to have all the knowledge and skills listed above then they should be made to understand that N2M per month won't be a bad idea.

Abi dem want make one person do 5 people job for the salary of 1?
Re: Globacom Nigeria Is Recruiting Web Designers by yawatide(f): 5:37pm On Oct 02, 2009
Afam:
In a country where unemployment is very high, sadly so. They can basically cherry pick to their delight cos they know that if Mr A won't take it, Mr B down to Mr Z, including alpha, beta and gamma are all waiting in line for the same job.

It sucks to say the least.
Re: Globacom Nigeria Is Recruiting Web Designers by Cactus(m): 10:07am On Oct 03, 2009
Globalcom has the leverage.

They know people are looking for jobs.
They know people want to work at globalcom

So they can give any salary they want small or big
Give whatever job description they want

For that position as mentioned earlier

anything about 1.5million naira would be ok per month

The problem is, Globalcom may not want to pay that much. they may not see the value in getting top grade and retaining the talents.
Re: Globacom Nigeria Is Recruiting Web Designers by javascript: 11:27am On Oct 03, 2009
Ehm ehm, shocked
Re: Globacom Nigeria Is Recruiting Web Designers by danteweb: 12:10pm On Oct 03, 2009
I think it would be interesting to note that glo is looking to recruit web designersssssss. I don't see how one person could develop and mangage such a large site.

What is more interesting is that I have not seen anything like php, asp, jsp, perl, python on the requirements and experience list, which makes me think they are only looking for front end guys.

But the thing that really knocks me off is that I see web 2.0 in the requirements. I don't quite understand how that can be a requirement. Also 'Net' doesn't mean anything to me. Can someone please enlighten me?

Finally in my opinion, I believe the requirements are just a formal list, either got from a recruitment agency's check list or googled. I don't see how the interviewer would be able to judge whether a candidate is proficient in all these areas or not.

From my experience, this checklist is just used to sieve cv's and get a shortlist. What they do is to find occurences of those keywords, using a software, in all the cv's they've received. What happens next after that is very far from that checklist.
Re: Globacom Nigeria Is Recruiting Web Designers by yawatide(f): 12:47pm On Oct 03, 2009
danteweb:
I have to agree with what you said about recruiting agencies and them just printing whatever comes to mind. I say this based on experience:

Back in 2000 or so, I remember seeing a job opening. They required 10 years of experience in ASP. The problem? ASP at the time was barely 2 years old! shocked shocked shocked shocked

Yep, many put up all that stuff just to separate the wheat from the chaff. I personally don't see how one website can handle all that technology (if they have other clients who use various technologies, then they have an argument). Having said that, they probably need to scrutinize their recruiting agency and/or their personnel department.
Re: Globacom Nigeria Is Recruiting Web Designers by WebMonk(m): 9:52pm On Oct 03, 2009
interesting topic. I saw the ad. and after scanning through everything, I hissed and closed d window.

They expect one guy to do all that? Yes, and there are people who can, but they definitely did not gain all that knowledge by looking at their screen and sitting diddly squat. Blood, sweat and tears were traded for that knowledge, and it won't come cheap. especially to a company which, like others have said, would probably not see that much in value, and pay accordingly (but then again, few companies in nigeria do, with no regulation and all).

Me personally? I've been there (to a certain scale), done it (heck, most of us have), and I DON'T like it. If i'm going to be swiss blading all my skills, I prefer reporting to ME. This, I believe, globacom does not understand: the kind of people who have all these skills (that they are looking for) won't use them for someone else.

I mean, would you, seriously? Then again, someone else will always take it
Re: Globacom Nigeria Is Recruiting Web Designers by Afam(m): 12:58am On Oct 04, 2009
WebMonk:

Me personally? I've been there (to a certain scale), done it (heck, most of us have), and I DON'T like it. If i'm going to be swiss blading all my skills, I prefer reporting to ME. This, I believe, globacom does not understand: the kind of people who have all these skills (that they are looking for) won't use them for someone else.

Exactly. Anyone that understands so much will rather work as a consultant or on specific time based projects and certainly not as an employee of a company because the person may make several times what the employer is willing to pay working on his/her own.
Re: Globacom Nigeria Is Recruiting Web Designers by danteweb: 3:51pm On Oct 04, 2009
yawatide, i'm laughing out really loud @ your 2nd paragraph.

Glo would definitely be better off, contracting the site out to an agency rather than try to recruit a 'know all' webdesigner. I mean the site is so terrible (http://www.gloworld.com and it passes the wrong message to the world. The only indigenous mobile telecommunications company in Nigeria has the worst website of all.

What I know about glo's branding is that they've changed agencies like three times now, then made the unwise decision to do their branding inhouse.

When glo first started, their branding was done by a south african company, who gave them a beautiful glo logo and nice lemon green colours. Anyone remembers those gloworld signboards and their initial sim pack.

They then transferred to a Nigerian company - which I have no problems with - but those guys, in my opinion, did not follow the original brand and messed things up.
What you see now in glo is a very inconsistent brand with ugly shades of green and an adulterated logo. The in house brand team has succeeded in even adulterating it more.

I believe they are trying to transfer the website to their in house branding team as well and I just wish them luck.
Re: Globacom Nigeria Is Recruiting Web Designers by yawatide(f): 9:50am On Oct 05, 2009
1) I think moving the site in-house is bad as I don't see them justifying continuous work on the site to keep the developers around full time.

2) danteeweb: you would think that whoever is in charge of their website would have the knowledge and wherewithal to know that what they have is crap and not to accept any changes made prior to what worked. Why did they let the SA company go in the first place? If it was cost, sometimes it is worth dropping a few extra notes for the peace of mind that your site is worth it

3) wow! what a crappy-looking site. It doesn't reflect the money they are making at alllll!
Re: Globacom Nigeria Is Recruiting Web Designers by smartsoft(m): 11:52am On Oct 05, 2009
see glo is just looking for someone to pay 1 time fee as in contract, you go in contract with them am saying this because my company handle their creative design before i mean BRANDING / ADVERTISING but if i should apply i will just tell them i don't need to know all this bullshit b4 i can create an elegant webby and aside that, i would let them know reason why they should try and get a separate programmer that knows noting about design but programming alone. make i try and see what happens hehehehehe i saw graphic experience ooo i dey apply now lol but ain't looking for an opening.

(1) (Reply)

What's The Beef With Joomla? / HYIP Script For Free / Airtel New Data Night Plan Rocking World Wide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.