Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,924 members, 7,817,707 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:40 PM

Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? (5554 Views)

Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath Day? / Today Is Sunday: How Do We Worship God / Is Sunday The Real Sabbath Day? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by analice107: 3:34pm On Oct 18, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

I have responded to her majesty. cheesy
You are keeping her Majesty waiting...
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by analice107: 3:34pm On Oct 18, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

I have responded to her majesty. cheesy
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:47pm On Oct 18, 2016
analice107:

I responded for the second time of asking. Am I missing something? undecided
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by Splinz(m): 4:54pm On Oct 18, 2016
Hello OLAADEGBU, thank you for your interest in learning more of God's word. However, before I proceed, let me quickly make it clear that I'm neither a Christian nor a bible scholar.

Yes, I did said I have much to contribute to the topic at hand, and I'm here to do just that. It will be a bit lengthy because of the need to cover every details there is about this issue, and for proper understanding. Please bear with me.

FROM THE BEGINNING

We will examine many verses from the Old Testament. Of course, it is there that the Sabbath is first mentioned. However, one of the strongest verses in the entire Bible on the subject of God’s Sabbath day is found in the New Testament!

Speaking to His disciples, Christ said, “The SABBATH was made for man” (Mark 2:27). This is a powerful statement. Immediately following this verse, we read: “Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.” (This is repeated in Luke 6:5.) Any who wish to superimpose the idea that Christ did not keep and endorse the Sabbath must face this enormous first obstacle. This plain passage, recorded twice for emphasis, cannot be dismissed. We will see there is a reason it follows verse 27 as it does.

But what did Christ mean when He said, “The Sabbath was made for man”? Haven’t you always been taught, “The Sabbath was made for the Jews”? If so, why did Christ say, in the New Testament, “for man”? We must go to the creation account to find the answer.

The Real Beginning

Genesis means “beginning.” Most people assume this is where one learns of the beginning of God’s revealed knowledge. The true beginning of all things—where the account of God’s creation really starts—is not found in Genesis 1. It is found in the New Testament, in John 1. This is where the Bible records who or what existed before the creation recorded in Genesis.

Here is how John writes of the earliest time the Bible records: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things [“the universe” – Moffatt translation of same word in Hebrews 1:2] were made by Him; and without Him was not ANYTHING made that was made” (1:1-3). This is all-encompassing.

But who is “the Word”? John answers a few verses later: “And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth” (vs. 14).

In the original Greek, the term “the Word” actually means “Spokesman.” While Christ only became the Son of God at His human birth, He was an eternal Being—He was “without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life” (Heb. 7:3).

Plainly, these verses speak of Jesus Christ both before and after His human birth. Only one God Being “became flesh and dwelt among us.” But verse 1 reveals more! Notice it says that Christ, the Word, “was” God and was also “with” God. This can only be possible if TWO separate Beings are being described. These TWO eternal Beings—Personages—existed before any of the physical universe had been created. They existed from the beginning and earlier.

Ephesians 3:9, written by Paul, confirms John 1: “God…created all things by Jesus Christ.” Having been “the Word”—the Spokesman—for all eternity, Jesus said many times throughout His ministry that He only stated what God wanted Him to say. Since He was “the Word,” we can understand why Psalm 33 states, “By the Word of the LORD were the heavens [the universe] made; and all the host of them by the breath of His mouth…For He spoke, and it was done” (vs. 6, 9).

Understand what we have just read! The Jesus Christ of the New Testament was the God of the Old Testament. They are not two separate Beings. Notice this plain passage, ignored by almost all: “And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they [ancient Israel] drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ” (I Cor. 10:4). We will examine this later in greater detail.

The One who led ancient Israel out of Egypt and through the wilderness was Jesus Christ of the New Testament! The God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob—and David (Psa. 18:2)—was Christ! And Paul wrote that God created “all things—by Jesus Christ”!

Let’s read one final scripture demonstrating, from the New Testament, that Christ, in fact, was the God of the Old Testament who did all the creating: “For by Him [Christ] were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by Him, and for Him…And He is the Head of the body, the church” (Col. 1:16, 18).

This passage is all-inclusive. The fact that it was Christ who created everything that exists in the entire universe must be understood before continuing.

Having established the real beginning and the Person of Christ, we'll now go on to the creation of man. Please stay tuned..........
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by analice107: 7:48pm On Oct 18, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

I responded for the second time of asking. Am I missing something? undecided
And, twice i have communicated why am pming you, but u don't responded. pls i need you to respond.
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:29pm On Oct 18, 2016
analice107:

And, twice i have communicated why am pming you, but u don't responded. pls i need you to respond.

I eventually got your message, be expecting my response as soon as is convenient. Thanks. smiley
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by analice107: 9:53pm On Oct 18, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

I eventually got your message, be expecting my response as soon as is convenient. Thanks. smiley
Ok sir.
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:00pm On Oct 19, 2016
Splinz:

Hello OLAADEGBU, thank you for your interest in learning more of God's word. However, before I proceed, let me quickly make it clear that I'm neither a Christian nor a bible scholar.

What then are you, if you don't mind me asking? undecided

Splinz:

Yes, I did said I have much to contribute to the topic at hand, and I'm here to do just that. It will be a bit lengthy because of the need to cover every details there is about this issue, and for proper understanding. Please bear with me.

Fire on. cool

Splinz:

FROM THE BEGINNING

We will examine many verses from the Old Testament. Of course, it is there that the Sabbath is first mentioned. However, one of the strongest verses in the entire Bible on the subject of God’s Sabbath day is found in the New Testament!

True.

Splinz:

Speaking to His disciples, Christ said, “The SABBATH was made for man” (Mark 2:27). This is a powerful statement. Immediately following this verse, we read: “Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.” (This is repeated in Luke 6:5.) Any who wish to superimpose the idea that Christ did not keep and endorse the Sabbath must face this enormous first obstacle. This plain passage, recorded twice for emphasis, cannot be dismissed. We will see there is a reason it follows verse 27 as it does.

I accede that Jesus kept the Sabbath as He had to keep the whole Law so as to be the perfect Lamb to be sacrificed. He came to fulfil the Law and the few times He spoke about the Sabbath He corrected the erroneous views about it. Jesus at no time commanded any particular day to be kept as the Sabbath day. He said that Rest (Sabbath) was for the benefit of man and that we should be able to do good on this day. Jesus also made them know that He has the authority to tell them what the Sabbath is all about since He was the One who gave it to the Jews as a law (albeit a ceremonial one).

Splinz:

But what did Christ mean when He said, “The Sabbath was made for man”? Haven’t you always been taught, “The Sabbath was made for the Jews”? If so, why did Christ say, in the New Testament, “for man”? We must go to the creation account to find the answer.

What He meant is that no day, be it Saturday, Sunday or any other day should lord it over man or put him under bondage, that man should be lord of the Sabbath (Rest) and be free to do good on this day.

Splinz:

The Real Beginning

Genesis means “beginning.” Most people assume this is where one learns of the beginning of God’s revealed knowledge. The true beginning of all things—where the account of God’s creation really starts—is not found in Genesis 1. It is found in the New Testament, in John 1. This is where the Bible records who or what existed before the creation recorded in Genesis.

Carry on. cool

Splinz:

Here is how John writes of the earliest time the Bible records: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things [“the universe” – Moffatt translation of same word in Hebrews 1:2] were made by Him; and without Him was not ANYTHING made that was made” (1:1-3). This is all-encompassing.

In other words, Jesus created all things.

Splinz:

But who is “the Word”? John answers a few verses later: “And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth” (vs. 14).

In the original Greek, the term “the Word” actually means “Spokesman.” While Christ only became the Son of God at His human birth, He was an eternal Being—He was “without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life” (Heb. 7:3).

In Greek "the Word" actually means "logos" not "spokesman." cool

Splinz:

Plainly, these verses speak of Jesus Christ both before and after His human birth. Only one God Being “became flesh and dwelt among us.” But verse 1 reveals more! Notice it says that Christ, the Word, “was” God and was also “with” God. This can only be possible if TWO separate Beings are being described. These TWO eternal Beings—Personages—existed before any of the physical universe had been created. They existed from the beginning and earlier.

Do you believe in the Holy Trinity (The Godhead)?

Splinz:

Ephesians 3:9, written by Paul, confirms John 1: “God…created all things by Jesus Christ.” Having been “the Word”—the Spokesman—for all eternity, Jesus said many times throughout His ministry that He only stated what God wanted Him to say. Since He was “the Word,” we can understand why Psalm 33 states, “By the Word of the LORD were the heavens [the universe] made; and all the host of them by the breath of His mouth…For He spoke, and it was done” (vs. 6, 9).

Again I said the Word means logos and not the Spokesman, get your facts right. cool

Splinz:

Understand what we have just read! The Jesus Christ of the New Testament was the God of the Old Testament. They are not two separate Beings. Notice this plain passage, ignored by almost all: “And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they [ancient Israel] drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ” (I Cor. 10:4). We will examine this later in greater detail.

This is why am interested in knowing your views on the Trinity.

Splinz:

The One who led ancient Israel out of Egypt and through the wilderness was Jesus Christ of the New Testament! The God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob—and David (Psa. 18:2)—was Christ! And Paul wrote that God created “all things—by Jesus Christ”!

Proceed.

Splinz:

Let’s read one final scripture demonstrating, from the New Testament, that Christ, in fact, was the God of the Old Testament who did all the creating: “For by Him [Christ] were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by Him, and for Him…And He is the Head of the body, the church” (Col. 1:16, 18).

That point is redundant. I am not contesting the fact that Jesus is the Creator of all things.

Splinz:

This passage is all-inclusive. The fact that it was Christ who created everything that exists in the entire universe must be understood before continuing.

He also rested on the 7th day.

Splinz:

Having established the real beginning and the Person of Christ, we'll now go on to the creation of man. Please stay tuned.........

Jesus the Lord of the Sabbath wants man to enter into His rest.
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:07pm On Oct 19, 2016
khiaa:

Saturday..............Aaaaand?cheesy

The word Saturday comes from the Latin for "Saturn's day," which was a pagan day of worship of the planet Saturn. Do you worship the planet Saturn? undecided

1 Like

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by Splinz(m): 7:50pm On Oct 19, 2016
I accede that Jesus kept the Sabbath as He had to keep the whole Law so as to be the perfect Lamb to be sacrificed. He came to fulfil the Law and the few times He spoke about the Sabbath He corrected the erroneous views about it. Jesus at no time commanded any particular day to be kept as the Sabbath day. He said that Rest (Sabbath) was for the benefit of man and that we should be able to do good on this day. Jesus also made them know that He has the authority to tell them what the Sabbath is all about since He was the One who gave it to the Jews as a law (albeit a ceremonial one).
No, the Sabbath wasn't given to the Jews as a Law, rather it was given to man. It is important for you to understand and rightly divide the word of God.
What He meant is that no day, be it Saturday, Sunday or any other day should lord it over man or put him under bondage, that man should be lord of the Sabbath (Rest) and be free to do good on this day.
Again, no. He said "the Son of man (Jesus) is also Lord of the Sabbath", not man. Plain! Why are you trying to twist the plain words of God?
Do you believe in the Holy Trinity (The Godhead)?
No, the Godhead isn't three Persons but two (Father and Son).
Again I said the Word means logos and not the Spokesman, get your facts right. cool
Hmm. I said in the "original Greek", i.e, ancient Greek. I take it to mean that you're not aware of the two: ancient and modern Greek.
Now you go get your facts right.
This is why am interested in knowing your views on the Trinity.
God is not a trinity. And so, I stand on the word of God which have no such pagan doctrine.
He also rested on the 7th day.
Seventh day Sabbath, good.
I'm tempted to ask: Are you confused? You said somewhere:
"that man should be lord of the Sabbath"
. And now, it is no longer man but Jesus? Why the contradiction? OLAADEGBU my brother, please put aside all preconceived ideas and accept God's word in its plainness. I'd continue shortly.........
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by khiaa(f): 10:25pm On Oct 19, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

The word Saturday comes from the Latin for "Saturn's day," which was a pagan day of worship of the planet Saturn. Do you worship the planet Saturn? undecided
:
They also worshipped tne sun on Sunday so whats your point?
Just because the paguns worshipped the planet Saturn on saturday does not mean it is not a day of worship for God. So what does the Sabbath mean?
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by Splinz(m): 6:09pm On Oct 20, 2016
OLAADEGBU

Interesting! Yes, Jesus the Lord of the Sabbath wants man to enter His rest. But how does man enter into His rest? I think we need to quickly deal with this important question.

Entering His Rest

"As I swore in my wrath, 'They shall never enter my rest'" (Hebrews 3:11) sets the tone. Here, Paul is actually quoting Psalm 95:11. Now moving a bit further, a question is asked, "And to whom did he swear that they should never enter his rest, but to those who were disobedient?", verse 18 of Hebrews 3. Because of disobedience, the people at "Meribah, as on the day at Massah in the wilderness", God swore in His wrath that they will not enter His rest! It was a rebellion (as is happening today) which they paid dearly by forfeiting their salvation. This is why as an admonition, Paul again quoted psalm 95:7-8, "Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, "Today, when you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion......." (Hebrews 3:7-cool. And what exactly is it that the people rebelled against- what was their disobedience? We will see that it was the Sabbath—a rest for the people of God.

Continuing, Paul said, "Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest remains, let us fear lest any of you be judged to have failed to reach it", (Hebrews 4:1). This is serious! In effect, Paul is saying "let us fear lest the same fate that befell the people in the wilderness befell us too!". Is this not a warning too great to ignore? "For we who have believed (kept the Sabbath) enter that rest, as he has said, "As I swore in my wrath, 'They shall never enter my rest,'" although his works were finished from the foundation of the world", verse 3. God didn't need to rest! He did it to show as an example of rest that Christians will enjoy in the future after their works on earth! Which is why the Sabbath was given to man as a Law for him to reflect on this day and thank God for this future rest from all of his works!

"For he has somewhere spoken of the seventh day in this way, "And God rested on the seventh day from all his works", verse 4. Now, the connection with the Sabbath and "entering His rest" is gradually building up. "And again in this place he said, "They shall never enter my rest.". Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news failed to enter because of disobedience, again he sets a certain day, "Today," saying through David so long afterward, in the words already quoted, "Today, when you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts.", verse 5-7. Yes, "Today" is another opportunity God has given to those who will hearken unto His voice and enter His rest. Will you still harden your heart

Lastly, "So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God; for whoever enters God's rest also ceases from his labors as God did from his. Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, that no one fall by the same sort of disobedience", verse 9-10.
This is unmistakably clear! Understand something here, dear brother. No matter how hard you try to twist this plain words of God either by allegory or philosophy, the fact remains that entering God's rest is directly tight to keeping the Sabbath! This Sabbath rest is dual in meaning: 1. a temporary rest from works on the seventh day. 2. a future permanent rest after one's life on earth, just as God did at the end of His creation works. Make no mistake, the Sabbath Law is as effective and binding as the law of gravity!

So therefore, we must strive to enter that rest—keep the Sabbath, and refrain from disobeying it! I tell you, there's so much at stake here. This Law is just too important. So little wonder then why it is the most attacked of the laws by Satan. Do you know why? Listen:

In Exodus 31:12-17, God made a special covenant with Israel regarding His Sabbath. Continue in verse 13: “For it is a SIGN between Me and you throughout your generations; that you may know that I am the LORD that does sanctify [set apart] you. You shall keep the sabbath…the seventh [day] is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD …Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath…for a perpetual covenant. It is a SIGN between Me and the children of Israel forever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day He rested.”

Recall that this last phrase proves the Sabbath was established from the creation week, over 2,500 years prior to Exodus 31. What a stunning understanding! For the fact that this is the only Law God said is a sign between Him and His people—those belonging to Him, makes it the most hated by Satan! God explains that His purpose is that the Sabbath “sanctifies” those who keep it. They are set apart as belonging to—being owned by—God. Christians are told, “You are bought with a price; be not you the servants of men” (I Cor. 7:23) and “You are bought with a price: therefore glorify God” (I Cor. 6:20). Dear brother, do you understand the import of what you're reading? Please you can't afford to miss it! Pray and ponder over it.

I've said so much to convince any true seeker of the truth about the Sabbath, but this doesn't mean I've exhausted my resource. In fact, this is just a small fraction of the truth.

In conclusion, "Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, "Today, when you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion....".

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by blueAgent(m): 9:30pm On Oct 22, 2016
Scholar8200:
Sorry, are you referring to the early church here?

Note that this practise predates Constantine.

And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.
Acts 20:7
http://biblehub.com/commentaries/acts/20-7.htm might be a good reference.

Sabbath remains saturday and there is

This was a covenant ratified by the blood of bulls and goats. Exodus 24:7,8 The Israelites down the line entered therein by inheritance. Where then do the Gentiles (like you and me) stand?

And if we are made acceptable in the beloved by the Blood of Jesus in a New Covenant, is there any proof that Jesus duplicated Moses' laws being the letter that kills or HE came with the Spirit of life?

Now since we have established that the law came by Moses (the OT) and Grace came by Jesus Christ, and [size=18pt]Jesus has plainly said that the Greatest command in the Law is not observance of sabbath but Agape-love to God and Man[/size]; and we see that in the NT, the love of God is shed abroad in our heart by the Spirit, love being the fruit of the Spirit, where does the sabbath stand?

Paul, a jew of jews, by inspiration said:

19 Why, then, the Law [what was its purpose]? It was added [after the promise to Abraham, to reveal to people their guilt] because of transgressions [that is, to make people conscious of the sinfulness of sin], and [the Law] was ordained through angels and delivered to Israel by the hand of a mediator [Moses, the mediator between God and Israel, to be in effect] until the Seed would come to whom the promise had been made.
23 Now before faith came, we were kept in custody under the Law, [perpetually] imprisoned [in preparation] for the faith that was destined to be revealed,
24 [b]with the result that the Law has become our tutor and our disciplinarian to guide us to Christ, so that we may be [c]justified [that is, declared free of the guilt of sin and its penalty, and placed in right standing with God] by faith.
25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under [the control and authority of] a tutor and disciplinarian.
[/b]Galatians 3 excerpts from AMP

It is therefore clear that the

This your comment is not Biblical.
God is not the author of confussion.every Bible verse must balance itself without contractdiction.

The same Jesus said if you love me keep my Commandments. John 14:15

The Same Jesus instructed a man who asked him what he will do to make Heaven. Jesus asked him to keep the Commandments.

The same Jesus that said Any one that adds or remove anything from the law shall be called the least in Heaven.
◄ Matthew 5:18

The law is like the consistution of Heaven. the ten commandments are reflecxion of God's character if the ten commandments could be done away with,Jesus could not have died. but rather he died to pay the price required by the law which is death.so that me and U can have life
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by Jslay1: 12:28am On Oct 23, 2016
Sabbath day is Saturday, but Christians worship on Sunday because Jesus Christ resurrected on Sunday.
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by blueAgent(m): 11:30pm On Oct 25, 2016
Scholar8200:

And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

This was a covenant ratified by the blood of bulls and goats. Exodus 24:7,8 The Israelites down the line entered therein by inheritance. Where then do the Gentiles (like you and me) stand?

And if we are made acceptable in the beloved by the Blood of Jesus in a New Covenant, is there any proof that Jesus duplicated Moses' laws being the letter that kills or HE came with the Spirit of life?

Now since we have established that the law came by Moses (the OT) and Grace came by Jesus Christ, and [size=18pt]Jesus has plainly said that the Greatest command in the Law is not observance of sabbath but Agape-love to God and Man[/size]; and we see that in the NT, the love of God is shed abroad in our heart by the Spirit, love being the fruit of the Spirit, where does the sabbath stand?

19 Why, then, the Law [what was its purpose]? It was added [after the promise to Abraham, to reveal to people their guilt] because of transgressions [that is, to make people conscious of the sinfulness of sin], and [the Law] was ordained through angels and delivered to Israel by the hand of a mediator [Moses, the mediator between God and Israel, to be in effect] until the Seed would come to whom the promise had been made.
23 Now before faith came, we were kept in custody under the Law, [perpetually] imprisoned [in preparation] for the faith that was destined to be revealed,
24 [b]with the result that the Law has become our tutor and our disciplinarian to guide us to Christ, so that we may be [c]justified [that is, declared free of the guilt of sin and its penalty, and placed in right standing with God] by faith.
25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under [the control and authority of] a tutor and disciplinarian.

People misunderstand this Bible verse ,we are not under the law but grace.they conclude that the law has been done away with. But this is misinterpretation of the Bible.
First what is under:under means to govern,manage,authority,been subjected to.
The Bible defines Sin as the breaking of the law.James2:9-12
And the wages of Sin(breaking of the law is death) Romans6:23
Been under the law means been subjected to the consquences or influence or authority of the law.which means anyone who breaks the law was subjected to death penatly.as shown by this Bible verses Deuteronomy 13:6, 10;
21:18, 21; 22: 21-28, and all of Leviticus 20,you will read there are whole series of injunctions
concerning the putting to death of persons who were idolaters, who were rebellious to their
parents, who committed adultery or were guilty of
incest, who cursed father or mother -- in fact,
who violated any part of the moral code. Indeed,
someone has estimated that no less than nine of
the Ten Commandments are specifically mentioned in connection with the penalty of
death for their violation.

Grace:grace means to pardon,to show kindness,to forebear.
When Jesus died. he fulfilled the requirements of the law by dieing in our place.through his death we obtained mercy.
Thats we are now nolonger subjected to death penalty as prescribed by the law, but we are now pardoned and given a second chance .but  We are not given mercy that we should continue in Sin.(breaking the law) no but we should live in accordance to the law as people who have obtained mercy.Romans6:1-2, 14:15
An example of Law and grace is found in John8:1-12.
When people brought and adultress woman to Jesus, and asked him to permit them to stone her to death according to the law. Jesus wrote with his finger on the ground, and when they persisted Jesus said to them. He without sin should cast the first stone. they all left one after the other. Then Jesus lookup and asked the woman.where is your accusers and the woman said they have gone.
Jesus said to her i don't condem you go and sin no more( do not break the law again) this is a typical example of grace at work.without grace the woman was supposed to die by stoning but Jesus offered her and all of us Grace(pardon,second chance).
Now observe the law remains the same becos it is the law only that can point out sin ,Romans 4:15 and Romans 5:13.
What changed was the dispensation of Justice instead of sinners been put to death immediately. We have now obtained grace or pardon.
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by blueAgent(m): 11:34pm On Oct 25, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Abraham believed God and that was counted to him for righteousness. He did not become righteous by keeping the laws of circumcision or other laws. Faith first and then obedience to God's command. smiley

Genesis 26:5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

1 Like

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by blueAgent(m): 11:36pm On Oct 25, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

How will the Gentiles know that they had to keep the Sabbath day if they were not taught? undecided

It was not a big issue than.becos most people observed the Sabbath. it was when pagan influnce crept into the Church that such disputes began.
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by blueAgent(m): 11:43pm On Oct 25, 2016
Scholar8200:

Paul saw this confussion.happining in christaindom and he wrote.

Paul couldn’t have been plainer about seeing
himself as echoing the teachings and practices of Christ. “Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ,” he told the Corinthians (1 Corinthians 11:1). This
statement allows no conclusion other than that
Paul saw himself as perpetuating, not
contradicting, Christ’s doctrines.
In even stronger language, Paul wrote to the
Church in Galatia, “I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel, which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you,
let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed” (Galatians 1:6-9).
In verses 8-9 Paul pronounces a curse on anyone who dared teach a message other than what Christ taught! In repeating this curse for
emphasis, Paul sternly warned against changes to Christ’s teaching.
and what did christ teach?

Jesus told the wealthy young ruler that the way to
salvation required keeping the 10
Commandments (Matthew 19:16-21). Jesus
Himself kept all the 10 Commandments,
including the seventh-day Sabbath (Luke 4:16).
Obviously, Jesus wasn’t intimating that anyone
could earn salvation by keeping the 10
Commandments. Yet He taught and showed by
example that God has set a reasonable standard
of behavior for His children. That standard is the
10 Commandments.
When the Pharisees tried to trick Christ into
saying something against the law, He did not
deny the law its place. “Then one of them, a
lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, and
saying, ‘Teacher, which is the great
commandment in the law?’
“Jesus said to him, ‘“You shall love the LORD
your God with all your heart, with all your soul,
and with all your mind.” This is the first and great
commandment. And the second is like it: “You
shall love your neighbor as yourself”’” (Matthew
22:35-39). Here Jesus quoted Old Testament
scriptures that summarized the message of the 10
Commandments.
This confrontation presented Jesus Christ with
the perfect opportunity to clarify that His death
would shortly bring an end for the need of the
commandments altogether. But He did not say
any such thing, because it would not have been
true. Putting these scriptures together leaves no
doubt. Christ kept the 10 Commandments, and
He taught others to do the same. And that leaves
people who have a bias against the law in a
difficult position. How do they reconcile Christ’s
teaching to abide by the law with the notion that
Paul taught that grace does away with the law?

1 Like

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:47pm On Oct 27, 2016
Splinz:

No, the Sabbath wasn't given to the Jews as a Law, rather it was given to man. It is important for you to understand and rightly divide the word of God.

The Sabbath Law was given to the Jews as a sign to Israel (Exodus 31:13-17) and it not given as a sign to the Church. The evidence is that after thousands of years after the commandment was given to them it is still obvious that the difference between the Israel and the rest of the world is that they continue to keep the Sabbath holy. This contract was not made with men before Moses neither was made with the Gentiles or the Church. You cannot find it anywhere in Scriptures where God commanded man to commemorate the old creation rest. It was to commemorate deliverance from Egypt (Deut.5:15).

Splinz:

Again, no. He said "the Son of man (Jesus) is also Lord of the Sabbath", not man. Plain! Why are you trying to twist the plain words of God?

Jesus came to give the proper interpretation of the Moral Law. He made us realise that the Sabbath law was the only one that can be broken and yet remain blameless. You can break it without breaking the Moral Law. Jesus gave examples of those who broke it and remained blameless. David and others broke it and remained blameless (Matthew 12:2-5). Israel marched on that day (Numbers 33:3; Leviticus 23:5-11; Joshua 6:12-16), Israel set up the tabernacle on that day (Exodus 40:1, 17; Lev. 23:5-11); They searched Canaan on the Sabbath day (Numbers 13:25); They made war on that day (1 Kings 20:29; 2 Kings 3:9; Joshua 6:12-16). Jesus made us realise that the Sabbath (Rest) was made for man, that is, as a blessing, not a cruel burden. That we should do well on Sabbath days. Jesus, the Son of man, established the Sabbath day when He "rested from all His work which God created and made" (Genesis 2:3) and so as the Creator of all things (John 1:1-3), He definitely had all authority and power over the Sabbath day, especially "to do well on the sabbath" (Mathew 12:12).

Splinz:

No, the Godhead isn't three Persons but two (Father and Son).

You almost saw the light. cool

Splinz:

Hmm. I said in the "original Greek", i.e, ancient Greek. I take it to mean that you're not aware of the two: ancient and modern Greek.
Now you go get your facts right.

Did you study the original Greek? Have you got a degree in it? undecided

Splinz:

God is not a trinity. And so, I stand on the word of God which have no such pagan doctrine.

Where do you put the Holy Spirit who is the 3rd Person in the Godhead?

Splinz:

Seventh day Sabbath, good.

Only if you are a Jew. cool

Splinz:

I'm tempted to ask: Are you confused? You said somewhere: . And now, it is no longer man but Jesus? Why the contradiction? OLAADEGBU my brother, please put aside all preconceived ideas and accept God's word in its plainness. I'd continue shortly.........

I believe I have made myself clear in the posts above. Jesus the Lord of the sabbath represents man and He has given us the proper interpretation of how the Sabbath can be of benefit to man. The Son of God became the Son of man so as to make man become the sons of God. Got it? cool
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:54pm On Oct 27, 2016
Splinz:

Interesting! Yes, Jesus the Lord of the Sabbath wants man to enter His rest. But how does man enter into His rest? I think we need to quickly deal with this important question.

Entering His Rest

"As I swore in my wrath, 'They shall never enter my rest'" (Hebrews 3:11) sets the tone. Here, Paul is actually quoting Psalm 95:11. Now moving a bit further, a question is asked, "And to whom did he swear that they should never enter his rest, but to those who were disobedient?", verse 18 of Hebrews 3. Because of disobedience, the people at "Meribah, as on the day at Massah in the wilderness", God swore in His wrath that they will not enter His rest! It was a rebellion (as is happening today) which they paid dearly by forfeiting their salvation. This is why as an admonition, Paul again quoted psalm 95:7-8, "Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, "Today, when you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion......." (Hebrews 3:7-cool. And what exactly is it that the people rebelled against- what was their disobedience? We will see that it was the Sabbath—a rest for the people of God.

Continuing, Paul said, "Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest remains, let us fear lest any of you be judged to have failed to reach it", (Hebrews 4:1). This is serious! In effect, Paul is saying "let us fear lest the same fate that befell the people in the wilderness befell us too!". Is this not a warning too great to ignore? "For we who have believed (kept the Sabbath) enter that rest, as he has said, "As I swore in my wrath, 'They shall never enter my rest,'" although his works were finished from the foundation of the world", verse 3. God didn't need to rest! He did it to show as an example of rest that Christians will enjoy in the future after their works on earth! Which is why the Sabbath was given to man as a Law for him to reflect on this day and thank God for this future rest from all of his works!

"For he has somewhere spoken of the seventh day in this way, "And God rested on the seventh day from all his works", verse 4. Now, the connection with the Sabbath and "entering His rest" is gradually building up. "And again in this place he said, "They shall never enter my rest.". Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news failed to enter because of disobedience, again he sets a certain day, "Today," saying through David so long afterward, in the words already quoted, "Today, when you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts.", verse 5-7. Yes, "Today" is another opportunity God has given to those who will hearken unto His voice and enter His rest. Will you still harden your heart

Lastly, "So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God; for whoever enters God's rest also ceases from his labors as God did from his. Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, that no one fall by the same sort of disobedience", verse 9-10.
This is unmistakably clear! Understand something here, dear brother. No matter how hard you try to twist this plain words of God either by allegory or philosophy, the fact remains that entering God's rest is directly tight to keeping the Sabbath! This Sabbath rest is dual in meaning: 1. a temporary rest from works on the seventh day. 2. a future permanent rest after one's life on earth, just as God did at the end of His creation works. Make no mistake, the Sabbath Law is as effective and binding as the law of gravity!

So therefore, we must strive to enter that rest—keep the Sabbath, and refrain from disobeying it! I tell you, there's so much at stake here. This Law is just too important. So little wonder then why it is the most attacked of the laws by Satan. Do you know why? Listen:

In Exodus 31:12-17, God made a special covenant with Israel regarding His Sabbath. Continue in verse 13: “For it is a SIGN between Me and you throughout your generations; that you may know that I am the LORD that does sanctify [set apart] you. You shall keep the sabbath…the seventh [day] is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD …Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath…for a perpetual covenant. It is a SIGN between Me and the children of Israel forever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day He rested.”

Recall that this last phrase proves the Sabbath was established from the creation week, over 2,500 years prior to Exodus 31. What a stunning understanding! For the fact that this is the only Law God said is a sign between Him and His people—those belonging to Him, makes it the most hated by Satan! God explains that His purpose is that the Sabbath “sanctifies” those who keep it. They are set apart as belonging to—being owned by—God. Christians are told, “You are bought with a price; be not you the servants of men” (I Cor. 7:23) and “You are bought with a price: therefore glorify God” (I Cor. 6:20). Dear brother, do you understand the import of what you're reading? Please you can't afford to miss it! Pray and ponder over it.

I've said so much to convince any true seeker of the truth about the Sabbath, but this doesn't mean I've exhausted my resource. In fact, this is just a small fraction of the truth.

In conclusion, "Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, "Today, when you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion....".

Let me break it down for you. The Bible makes it clear that no one can be justified (made right with God) by keeping the Sabbath holy, or by keeping any other Commandment. All the Law does is bring the knowledge of sin to show us that we need a Saviour. Jesus fulfilled the demands of the Law, which means we can be made right with God through faith in Him alone (see Eph. 2:8,9). Believers now serve in the spirit, not the letter of the law, and the principle behind the Sabbath is this: Just as God created for 6 days then rested on the 7th, man is to work for 6 days and rest on the 7th, that is, to cease working. Those who trust in Christ's finished work on the cross have ceased trying to be justified through their own efforts and instead find their rest in Him. (See Heb. 4:3,10). That is why keeping the Sabbath is a non-issue for Christians when it comes to eternal salvation. It is simply a matter of conscience. Christians have incredible liberty—no one can tell us what we must eat or drink, or what days we must observe. smiley

Also see: https://www.nairaland.com/1839822/keeping-sabbath
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:59pm On Oct 27, 2016
blueAgent:

Genesis 26:5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

Abraham did not put the cart before the horse. He first believed God and that is why He is the father of faith. cool
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:13pm On Oct 27, 2016
blueAgent:

It was not a big issue than.becos most people observed the Sabbath. it was when pagan influnce crept into the Church that such disputes began.

The Gentiles were not Sabbath keepers and if the Christian's salvation depended on the keeping of the Sabbath day wouldn't God have told them? There was a specific day when the apostles got together to deliberate on their relationship with the Laws of Moses, this you can see in (Acts 15:5-11, 24-29). If the then believers were to keep the Sabbath that was the time to make it known to His children and this would have saved millions of us going to hell as you are made to believe. The only commands the apostles gave were to "abstain from meats offered to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication." Show me one command in the NT where God commanded Christians to keep the Sabbath holy. If anything at all were are told not to let others judge us regarding Sabbaths (Colossians 2:16) and that man was not made for the Sabbath, but the Sabbath for man (Mark 2:27). smiley

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by Splinz(m): 6:14pm On Oct 27, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

The Sabbath Law was given to the Jews as a sign to Israel (Exodus 31:13-17) and it not given as a sign to the Church. The evidence is that after thousands of years after the commandment was given to them it is still obvious that the difference between the Israel and the rest of the world is that they continue to keep the Sabbath holy. This contract was not made with men before Moses neither was made with the Gentiles or the Church. You cannot find it anywhere in Scriptures where God commanded man to commemorate the old creation rest. It was to commemorate deliverance from Egypt (Deut.5:15).

Dear brother, I want to believe you're sincerely seeking the truth and wish to keep same. But it really saddens me when you make certain statement such as the bold above. This and many others exposes your ignorance and shallowness of scripture.

Yes, the Sabbath is a SIGN between God's people. For who are the Israelite—the Jews? Romans 2:28-29, "For he is not a real Jew who is one outwardly, nor is true circumcision something external and physical. He is a Jew who is one inwardly, and real circumcision is a matter of the heart, spiritual and not literal". Here, we see that Christians are also Jews and circumcised. Brother, are you a Jew by descent? No, but a Christian is called a Jew, and by extension, an Israelite!

And what do you mean that the Sabbath SIGN wasn't given to the Church? Speaking of Moses, the scripture says, "This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness...." (Acts 7:38, KJV). The Church didn't start in the NT, it existed also in the wilderness! And as we have it today, it is built directly on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus Himself as the Chief builder! (Ephesians 2:19-20). Please understand it!

Jesus came to give the proper interpretation of the Moral Law. He made us realise that the Sabbath law was the only one that can be broken and yet remain blameless. You can break it without breaking the Moral Law. Jesus gave examples of those who broke it and remained blameless. David and others broke it and remained blameless (Matthew 12:2-5). Israel marched on that day (Numbers 33:3; Leviticus 23:5-11; Joshua 6:12-16), Israel set up the tabernacle on that day (Exodus 40:1, 17; Lev. 23:5-11); They searched Canaan on the Sabbath day (Numbers 13:25); They made war on that day (1 Kings 20:29; 2 Kings 3:9; Joshua 6:12-16). Jesus made us realise that the Sabbath (Rest) was made for man, that is, as a blessing, not a cruel burden. That we should do well on Sabbath days. Jesus, the Son of man, established the Sabbath day when He "rested from all His work which God created and made" (Genesis 2:3) and so as the Creator of all things (John 1:1-3), He definitely had all authority and power over the Sabbath day, especially "to do well on the sabbath" (Mathew 12:12).

Good! So what happened—why is the blessing of the Sabbath no longer needed—why is it now a burden? By your words, you've confirmed that the Sabbath is a blessed time—day. Has what God blessed and sanctified suddenly then becomes obsolete and a curse?

Indeed, the Lord of the Sabbath is the only One with absolute authority on this matter. He kept the Sabbath and left us an example to do same, yes, since Christians are to follow His steps (1 Peter 2:21). The question is, are you really following His steps as laid down?

Did you study the original Greek? Have you got a degree in it? undecided

I'm a learned person, well versed in whatever I speak on. Piece of advice: Always get your facts right. This saves you lots of embarrassment and shame.

Where do you put the Holy Spirit who is the 3rd Person in the Godhead?

There's nothing like the "third person in the Godhead". Of course if you need more enlightenment, I'm always at your service.

Only if you are a Jew. cool

Hmm. Brother, yes, Christians are Jews (Romans 2:28-29). I know we learn everyday, which is why I can as well bear with you in your learning process.

I believe I have made myself clear in the posts above. Jesus the Lord of the sabbath represents man and He has given us the proper interpretation of how the Sabbath can be of benefit to man. The Son of God became the Son of man so as to make man become the sons of God. Got it? cool

I wish you were able to get your facts right. But unfortunately, you're still crawling on all four scripturally. Anyways, there's always room for improvement—you can learn the right things if you sincerely wish. Sorry, I refused to accept glaring errors.

Yes, I've deliberately ignored your often abused of the word "Grace", which you've converted to a license (Jude 1:4) to break God's holy, righteous and good Law (Romans 7:12). This is because talking on grace and your misunderstandings is another topic on its own, as I don't like mixing things up to avoid confusion, for God is no author of such.

I know this phrase "the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ" is an anthem to you. Not you alone, but fellow band of misguided so-called "grace preachers" and their adherents. Matthew 6:33, "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness.......". But what is "righteousness" that a Christian must seek? Looking back at Romans 7:12 quoted earlier and Psalm 119:160, we see that the Law is called "righteousness". But then, we read somewhere that "righteousness is imputed by faith in Jesus Christ, not by 'works of the law'". Is the Bible contradictory as some claims? Certainly no! But how then can you reconcile righteousness by faith and righteousness by law—will you only accept the former because it suits your belly, and reject the latter? Be the judge.

However, while at it, know that accepting one and discarding the other will only breeds confusions, denial and hypocrisy—of which God authored not. So what then? Simple. You must rightly divide the word of truth! How? Brother, I'm at your service anytime.

Bye now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by Splinz(m): 8:19pm On Oct 27, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Let me break it down for you. The Bible makes it clear that no one can be justified (made right with God) by keeping the Sabbath holy, or by keeping any other Commandment. All the Law does is bring the knowledge of sin to show us that we need a Saviour. Jesus fulfilled the demands of the Law, which means we can be made right with God through faith in Him alone (see Eph. 2:8,9). Believers now serve in the spirit, not the letter of the law, and the principle behind the Sabbath is this: Just as God created for 6 days then rested on the 7th, man is to work for 6 days and rest on the 7th, that is, to cease working. Those who trust in Christ's finished work on the cross have ceased trying to be justified through their own efforts and instead find their rest in Him. (See Heb. 4:3,10). That is why keeping the Sabbath is a non-issue for Christians when it comes to eternal salvation. It is simply a matter of conscience. Christians have incredible liberty—no one can tell us what we must eat or drink, or what days we must observe. smiley

Also see: https://www.nairaland.com/1839822/keeping-sabbath

Very lame. You can't break any thing down for me, neither are you even grasping the import of what you're reading. This is not surprising anyways, for it is written:

"With them indeed is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah which says: 'You shall indeed hear but never understand, and you shall indeed see but never perceive" (Matthew 13:14).
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by blueAgent(m): 1:53pm On Oct 31, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

The Gentiles were not Sabbath keepers and if the Christian's salvation depended on the keeping of the Sabbath day wouldn't God have told them? There was a specific day when the apostles got together to deliberate on their relationship with the Laws of Moses, this you can see in (Acts 15:5-11, 24-29). If the then believers were to keep the Sabbath that was the time to make it known to His children and this would have saved millions of us going to hell as you are made to believe. The only commands the apostles gave were to "abstain from meats offered to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication." Show me one command in the NT where God commanded Christians to keep the Sabbath holy. If anything at all were are told not to let others judge us regarding Sabbaths (Colossians 2:16) and that man was not made for the Sabbath, but the Sabbath for man (Mark 2:27). smiley

Remember that the issue of contention was Circumcision and the keeping of Mosiac laws not the ten Commandments.

Acts 15:1 And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.

If it was the Ten commandments.Apostles James who was in that meeting could not have said.

James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. 2:11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law. 2:12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty. 2:13 For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment. 2:14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

God is not an author of confussion.
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by blueAgent(m): 1:59pm On Oct 31, 2016
Jslay1:
Sabbath day is Saturday, but Christians worship on Sunday because Jesus Christ resurrected on Sunday.

Who made the change? is it God?

www.amazingfacts.org/media-library/study-guide/e/4983/t/written-in-stone
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by blueAgent(m): 2:11pm On Oct 31, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Abraham did not put the cart before the horse. He first believed God and that is why He is the father of faith. cool

Are you saying God is lieing? Since who was the one that said Abraham obeyed his laws and commandments.

Do you know that Adam and Eve kept the Sabbath? Even their Children.

An entire nation of people, all around the world, observed the Sabbath
Over 100 languages on earth use the word
“Sabbath” for Saturday. For example, the Spanish word for Saturday is “Sabado,” meaning Sabbath.
What does this prove? It proves that when those languages originated long ago, Saturday was recognized as the Sabbath day and was
incorporated into the very name of the day.
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by blueAgent(m): 2:14pm On Oct 31, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

The Bible prophised about the Gentiles and Israelities worshipping God on the Sabbath day

Isaiah  56:1 Thus saith the LORD, Keep ye judgment, and do justice: for my salvation is near to come, and my righteousness to be revealed.  56:2 Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil.  56:3 Neither let the son of the stranger, that hath joined himself to the LORD, speak, saying, The LORD hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree.  56:4 For thus saith the LORD unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant;  56:5 Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off.  56:6 Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant;  56:7 Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.  56:8 The Lord GOD, which gathereth the outcasts of Israel saith, Yet will I gather others to him, beside those that are gathered unto him.  56:9 All ye beasts of the field, come to devour, yea, all ye beasts in the forest.  56:10 His watchmen are blind: they are all ignorant, they are all dumb dogs, they cannot bark; sleeping, lying down, loving to slumber.
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by blueAgent(m): 2:25pm On Oct 31, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Abraham believed God and that was counted to him for righteousness. He did not become righteous by keeping the laws of circumcision or other laws. Faith first and then obedience to God's command. smiley

The Bible says Faith without work is dead.
If going to Heaven requires only Faith than everybody will go to Heaven.becos just believing that Jesus died for me is enough.

But that is misinterpreted Bible facts.Every Man most demonstrate his faith by works.

law. 2:12 So speak
ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty. 2:13 For he shall have judgment
without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment. 2:14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

1 Like

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:03pm On Nov 26, 2016
Splinz:

Dear brother, I want to believe you're sincerely seeking the truth and wish to keep same. But it really saddens me when you make certain statement such as the bold above. This and many others exposes your ignorance and shallowness of scripture.

Yes, the Sabbath is a SIGN between God's people. For who are the Israelite—the Jews? Romans 2:28-29, "For he is not a real Jew who is one outwardly, nor is true circumcision something external and physical. He is a Jew who is one inwardly, and real circumcision is a matter of the heart, spiritual and not literal". Here, we see that Christians are also Jews and circumcised. Brother, are you a Jew by descent? No, but a Christian is called a Jew, and by extension, an Israelite!

And what do you mean that the Sabbath SIGN wasn't given to the Church? Speaking of Moses, the scripture says, "This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness...." (Acts 7:38, KJV). The Church didn't start in the NT, it existed also in the wilderness! And as we have it today, it is built directly on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus Himself as the Chief builder! (Ephesians 2:19-20). Please understand it!

Good! So what happened—why is the blessing of the Sabbath no longer needed—why is it now a burden? By your words, you've confirmed that the Sabbath is a blessed time—day. Has what God blessed and sanctified suddenly then becomes obsolete and a curse?

Indeed, the Lord of the Sabbath is the only One with absolute authority on this matter. He kept the Sabbath and left us an example to do same, yes, since Christians are to follow His steps (1 Peter 2:21). The question is, are you really following His steps as laid down?

I'm a learned person, well versed in whatever I speak on. Piece of advice: Always get your facts right. This saves you lots of embarrassment and shame.

There's nothing like the "third person in the Godhead". Of course if you need more enlightenment, I'm always at your service.

Hmm. Brother, yes, Christians are Jews (Romans 2:28-29). I know we learn everyday, which is why I can as well bear with you in your learning process.

I wish you were able to get your facts right. But unfortunately, you're still crawling on all four scripturally. Anyways, there's always room for improvement—you can learn the right things if you sincerely wish. Sorry, I refused to accept glaring errors.

Yes, I've deliberately ignored your often abused of the word "Grace", which you've converted to a license (Jude 1:4) to break God's holy, righteous and good Law (Romans 7:12). This is because talking on grace and your misunderstandings is another topic on its own, as I don't like mixing things up to avoid confusion, for God is no author of such.

I know this phrase "the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ" is an anthem to you. Not you alone, but fellow band of misguided so-called "grace preachers" and their adherents. Matthew 6:33, "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness.......". But what is "righteousness" that a Christian must seek? Looking back at Romans 7:12 quoted earlier and Psalm 119:160, we see that the Law is called "righteousness". But then, we read somewhere that "righteousness is imputed by faith in Jesus Christ, not by 'works of the law'". Is the Bible contradictory as some claims? Certainly no! But how then can you reconcile righteousness by faith and righteousness by law—will you only accept the former because it suits your belly, and reject the latter? Be the judge.

However, while at it, know that accepting one and discarding the other will only breeds confusions, denial and hypocrisy—of which God authored not. So what then? Simple. You must rightly divide the word of truth! How? Brother, I'm at your service anytime.

Bye now.

See my response to your posts on this thread for the sake of repetition.

https://www.nairaland.com/1839822/keeping-sabbath/2#down
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:04pm On Nov 26, 2016
Splinz:

Very lame. You can't break any thing down for me, neither are you even grasping the import of what you're reading. This is not surprising anyways, for it is written:

"With them indeed is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah which says: 'You shall indeed hear but never understand, and you shall indeed see but never perceive" (Matthew 13:14).

The scripture may as well apply to you, don't you think? undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Join Illuminati 666 Society In Africa Today And Be Rich+2349073588783 / Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials / CHRISTLIKE SELFLESSNESS - Mark Of A True Christian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 203
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.