Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,988 members, 7,835,318 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits (13102 Views)

Lagos State Government Demolishes 2,000 Shanties In Jakande Estate / PHOTOS: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Illegal Houses In Agege / Lagos Demolishes Adebutu Kessignton, Baba-Ijebu's 4-storey Building (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits by hundredhundred: 7:20am On Sep 02, 2016
kettykin:
The timing of the demolition is it right ?
First they came with abandoned property edict, now it is demolition edict, when will these problems against non indigenes stop

Ibo man, always playing the victim card. Shameless bigot.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits by free2ryhme: 7:20am On Sep 02, 2016
cryfrom the comments of the builders, they did not mention if a permit was obtained or not. However, government should also follow the due process in demolition . Two wrongs do not make a right. Further, if Government cannot provide any affordable lands and accommodation why destroy what people are struggling to put together except its an environmental hazard. Wicked world.
Re: Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits by Wyttcat: 7:24am On Sep 02, 2016
Right!
Pavore9:

I know that very well as many do feel it can be circumvented!
Re: Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits by Handsomecole(m): 7:37am On Sep 02, 2016
Owners of this buildings like to cry fowl. I see some buildings on some parts of Lagos State with the X mark and stop work signs yet I see construction still going on, and I ask if 2moro Govt pulls it down they will say Govt is wicked.

Lagos State Govt will not just move in and pull down a building, there must have been warnings before such demolition is carried out.
The issue is simple settle whatever you have with Govt before you embark on any building.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits by Nobody: 7:44am On Sep 02, 2016
With the corruption and general incompetence in these ministries, it is difficult to know who to believe.

No matter what you must settle to get your permit
Even after settling, you will still be disturbed at your site. Sometimes it is even small boys (it students) coming to harass your site workers.

Usually some official in the ministry will coordinate the permit. And this is usually with some ridiculous documents. One of our approvals on a project included a copy and paste soil test report that did not match what was on ground.

On another site, even though we had all our papers in order, the site was disturbed by three different sets of officials. Maybe the person we had engaged had not shared the money.

A lot of these jokers are little better than drivers license touts who will procure fake licenses for you.

It's really sad and annoying.

If a proper website etc could be deployed there might be transparency.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits by Nobody: 7:46am On Sep 02, 2016
Going by some of the comments, it would seem Ambo's PR team has their 40 laptops. Waiting for EgunMogaji and Co.

1 Like

Re: Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits by AfroKnight: 7:56am On Sep 02, 2016
Xtfield:
Questions begging for answers:
1. Do the owners have building permits?
2. Are survey plans equivalent to building permits?
If the answer to these two questions is NO, then the property owners are guilty and deserve no pity. No sane person should put up a structure without a building permit. No government in the world will allow such lawlessness.

As heartless as it may seem, what you said is the simple truth.

Once you have your proper documents you should obtain a building permit before commencing foundation. Also during construction, a team from the government will still visit the site for inspection. Once you follow due process, no one will even mark the property.
Re: Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits by AfroKnight: 8:01am On Sep 02, 2016
free2ryhme:
cryfrom the comments of the builders, they did not mention if a permit was obtained or not. However, government should also follow the due process in demolition . Two wrongs do not make a right. Further, if Government cannot provide any affordable lands and accommodation why destroy what people are struggling to put together except its an environmental hazard. Wicked world.

Believe me, if the landlords had obtained permits, they would scream it in every sentence.
Re: Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits by XX01(f): 8:22am On Sep 02, 2016
Wyttcat:
All we saw was a kiosk oo! And the first information said it was a 'shop' Now it's being described as duplexes, and soon skyscrapers.

All this on how many plots of land?

These are two different demolitions. The first was in Ikoyi, those were shops. These are in Ajah. They were different plots of lands that were built up.
Re: Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits by obailala(m): 8:23am On Sep 02, 2016
Africa, it's always very easy to destroy than to build. Why do we keep hearing this same story of demolition without prior notice?.... Who is really saying the truth here?... I dont trust some of these useless government officials though.
Re: Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits by justmenoni: 8:39am On Sep 02, 2016
What exactly is that you're trying to point out?

Heatrow, SA, Ethiopia..ur snake weed is very strong..pray that your effort go in vain you hear!!!

Wyttcat:
All we saw was a kiosk oo! And the first information said it was a 'shop' Now it's being described as duplexes, and soon skyscrapers. Someone is still coming forward to say they had a mall and a five star hotel, and oh Heathrow airport replica among the structure demolished. South Africa comes to mind, just like people who had no place to sleep were begging the Ethiopian shop owners to allow them take pictures with their damaged shops to claim money from the govt until a Yoruba journalist put a hole in the story. Trust these people to describe it as half of Lagos.

All this on how many plots of land?

Once you build without permit, the building is for the govt, and they do it as they wish.

In sane clime, they will not only seal off the building, but they would have gone to jail too.

Re: Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits by Onegai(f): 8:50am On Sep 02, 2016
oyb:
With the corruption and general incompetence in these ministries, it is difficult to know who to believe.

No matter what you must settle to get your permit
Even after settling, you will still be disturbed at your site. Sometimes it is even small boys (it students) coming to harass your site workers.

Usually some official in the ministry will coordinate the permit. And this is usually with some ridiculous documents. One of our approvals on a project included a copy and paste soil test report that did not match what was on ground.

On another site, even though we had all our papers in order, the site was disturbed by three different sets of officials. Maybe the person we had engaged had not shared the money.

A lot of these jokers are little better than drivers license touts who will procure fake licenses for you.

It's really sad and annoying.

If a proper website etc could be deployed there might be transparency.

This is the truth. LASG officials are guilty of so much corruption. They do routine shakedowns and going to Alausa doesn't work unless you meet the right person. Imagine local govt showing up at a business to demand for tv license tax for your tv inside the building that shows your videos of your work and doesn't broadcast any stations. I used to work with them so I know they were stunt-pullers. I was there on more than one occasion where they will show up demanding some crazy permits and using chains to lock gates (and I would be so ashamed when the owner of the property came to beg and settle). They should make it transparent so that you can go and check your permit number online when you get your documents. At least, the shops in Ikoyi should have people able to fight them to court. People don't realise you can take government to court and win. They are enjoying not paying 2nd tollgate at Chevron not knowing it was an individual who fought for their rights.

The right thing to is to mark a red "X" and paste a notice on the property at least 2 weeks before demolishing the building and I'm pretty sure for the Ikoyi properties they didn't do that. If the tenants of the building can show pictures that they didn't do that, they will win a settlement in court. This is how some years ago LASG started demolishing Makoko and telling everyone that they gave them warning and it was a lie. I've seen LASG do Advocacy so they have the tools to do it.

1 Like

Re: Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits by Nectarbaba(m): 8:51am On Sep 02, 2016
Some comments here are rather inhuman, who here wishes to spend millions of naira on a properties and see it go down the drain in your very face? Be careful what you say cause it might happen to you one day.
Re: Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits by mpowa(m): 9:28am On Sep 02, 2016
free2ryhme:

If they didn't get permits then they have themselves to blame, because govt have a master plan, and they have many development projects like bridges and roads, if their structures obstruct such developments, there's no other option than to be pulled down.
Re: Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits by Nobody: 9:40am On Sep 02, 2016
Onegai:

This is the truth. LASG officials are guilty of so much corruption. They do routine shakedowns and going to Alausa doesn't work unless you meet the right person. Imagine local govt showing up at a business to demand for tv license tax for your tv inside the building that shows your videos of your work and doesn't broadcast any stations. I used to work with them so I know they were stunt-pullers. I was there on more than one occasion where they will show up demanding some crazy permits and using chains to lock gates (and I would be so ashamed when the owner of the property came to beg and settle). They should make it transparent so that you can go and check your permit number online when you get your documents. At least, the shops in Ikoyi should have people able to fight them to court. People don't realise you can take government to court and win. They are enjoying not paying 2nd tollgate at Chevron not knowing it was an individual who fought for their rights.

The right thing to is to mark a red "X" and paste a notice on the property at least 2 weeks before demolishing the building and I'm pretty sure for the Ikoyi properties they didn't do that. If the tenants of the building can show pictures that they didn't do that, they will win a settlement in court. This is how some years ago LASG started demolishing Makoko and telling everyone that they gave them warning and it was a lie. I've seen LASG do Advocacy so they have the tools to do it.

What most of them bank on is time value of money. Does the victim have the resources to engage a lawyer while his business is shut down? Does he have the time to follow through to the end?

And of course there is the chain of corruption. As long as all the ogas are in on it, there will be no discipline or reform unless there is a major accident. The lekki gardens fallout is simply some dismissals and a redistribution of the same corrupt management. Business as usual
Re: Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits by EMIOMOADEOYE: 10:41am On Sep 02, 2016
post=49000459:
Nigeria which way you can't just go demolishing landed properties like that. APC government sha.

Why not!

If you build your house on the wrong spot because you failed to do proper checks and chose to buy from omonile, why then would yiu blame the government when they take action.

If you cut corners and are not willing to settle for cutting corners this is exactly what will happen
Re: Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits by mapet: 11:33am On Sep 02, 2016
AfroKnight:

free2ryhme:
:

Believe me, if the landlords had obtained permits, they would scream it in every sentence.

@free2ryhme,

1. There is no "due process" to demolition that was not followed. These "landlords" were living in denial.
2. I am talking as an "ex-victim". My factory was demolished in the demolition exercise of the old Ajelogo Market. Truth the market ex-co got the demolition notice almost 6 months prior. Some suggested going to court others suggested going to meet some Lagos big men.......nutshell the market was destroyed.
3. The same lie was put forward during the demolition exercise of Oshodi electronics market, when the traders lied that they were not informed. We later discovered that the Lagos state government had had more than 3 major discussions with the group even through eminent Igbo elders (see Joe Igbokwe's account http://saharareporters.com/2016/01/13/truth-about-demolition-owonifari-market-oshodi-lagos-joe-igbokwe )
4. Apart from seeking to do the right thing, many people are simply complacent. Truth is even to go via the right route, you must settle, but these routes are clearly spelt out in documents and people in the ministry of lands will tell you same
5. There are quacks and fakers within. Someone recently caught a driver of a local government that was caught going to sites, making fictitious claims and demanding bribes. When many of these supposed officials come, the simple thing to do is to collect all his data and go to the ministry or local government to verify his claims

@AfroKnight,

1. What I found amusing is that these landlord and the gullible bystanders resort to play the emotional card. They cannot claim not to know the right thing to do
2. The government is well within their right to pull down those buildings. Have we considered that any of those buildings could be in contention or the land marked for a different purpose according to city development plans?
Re: Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits by mapet: 11:36am On Sep 02, 2016
obailala:
Africa, it's always very easy to destroy than to build. Why do we keep hearing this same story of demolition without prior notice?.... Who is really saying the truth here?... I dont trust some of these useless government officials though.

Truth is you don't need to "trust" the government. Building without permit is illegal. That is the premise. Permit obtained after a building has been put in place is not safe either.

If say in 3years time, any of those building collapses, you lot are the same that will come to blame government for not certifying the building.

I dare say let the government do their job
Re: Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits by mapet: 11:37am On Sep 02, 2016
Nectarbaba:
Some comments here are rather inhuman, who here wishes to spend millions of naira on a properties and see it go down the drain in your very face? Be careful what you say cause it might happen to you one day.

Why will I risk my money and asset to do the wrong thing in the first place?

1 Like

Re: Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits by baslone: 12:24pm On Sep 02, 2016
Nectarbaba:

They never listen but eventually play the emotional card!

Re: Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits by Qualer: 12:51pm On Sep 02, 2016
XX01:

These are two different demolitions. The first was in Ikoyi, those were shops. These are in Ajah. They were different plots of lands that were built up.

please pay no mind to the lost sheep with comprehension issues!
Re: Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits by manageam: 1:14pm On Sep 02, 2016
kettykin:
Four property owners at Hitech Estate, Odonikin village, in the Eti-Osa Local Government Area, Lagos State, say they have been thrown into debts after officials of the state government demolished four newly-completed buildings in the area.

The affected structures comprised five joint duplexes, a four-bedroomed duplex, a five-bedroomed apartment and a three-storeyed building owned by a private school – Learning Lands.

Although the buildings were reportedly destroyed because the owners did not get necessary permits to embark on the constructions, the victims said the government failed to give them prior notices before the buildings were brought down.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the demolition was carried out last Friday by officials of the state Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development, who were accompanied by policemen from the Lagos State Task Force on Environmental and Special Offences (Enforcement) Unit.

Some of the landlords, who spoke with our correspondent on Wednesday, said they had petitioned the state Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development on the incident without getting any positive response.

One of them, Mrs. Augustina Daniel, said, “I got a call around 11am last Friday that bulldozers were destroying houses. I rushed to the scene with my husband. Our building, comprising five joint duplexes, worth N200m, was brought to the ground in our presence. We met with the officials, but none of them talked to us.

“We went to the Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development on Monday with our survey plans and we were told to submit them and leave. They also told us that the buildings were demolished because we did not have a building permit.

“We wrote a letter to the commissioner on Tuesday and it was not acknowledged. If a house is to be demolished, a notice should be given; we didn’t get that. The information we have is that the demolition was done because there are people in that area who have interest in those pieces of land.”

Mr. Omomega Ashofor, whose residence was also demolished, said he had spent about N70m to put up the structure and asked that he should be compensated for the damage.

He said, “Mine was a fully detached four-bedroomed duplex. I was planning to paint the building so that in two months’ time, my family and I could move in. I have spent about N70m on it so far. It was a neighbour that alerted me to the demolition. With the supervision of armed policemen, the structure was brought down within an hour.

“They are supposed to serve us notices if there is any contravention and give us time to respond. But none of that was done. There has never been a time that a stop-work order was given to us. I want compensation for the damage. This is a property involved, not just money, but emotional input.”

Austine Kazeem, who said he planned to move into his five-bedroomed flat this month, said, “I am based abroad. If any notice had been issued to me, I would have gone to the ministry to sort it out.”

Efforts to speak with the Lagos State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Steve Ayorinde, proved abortive as calls put across to his line did not connect. He had also yet to respond to a text message sent to his phone since Wednesday.

However, the spokesman for the Lagos State Task Force on Environment and Special Offences (Enforcement) Unit, Mr. Adebayo Taofiq, said officials of the agency only gave security backing for officials of the ministry.

He said notices must have been served on the aggrieved persons at different stages of the constructions without compliance before the buildings were brought down.

“Task force only gave security back up to the government agency responsible for the demolition. The fundamental question is why didn’t they obtain a building plan approval before construction? Such development is illegal and no responsible government will tolerate illegality.

“Government doesn’t just wake up and carry out demolition. First, the building would be marked with red ‘X’. After the ‘X’, a stop-work order will be served. If the owner of such property refuses to show up with relevant papers, which include a building plan approval, government will serve another notice which is a demolition notice.

“Lagos State has a master plan and once such is violated, the illegal structure will be removed,” he said.

Copyright PUNCH.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.

http://m.punchng.com/lagos-demolishes-school-building-duplexes-permits/

Re: Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits by manageam: 1:15pm On Sep 02, 2016
This are the pictures of the building distroyed without any notice or warning of the LASG.
Re: Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits by Nectarbaba(m): 10:14pm On Sep 02, 2016
baslone:

They never listen but eventually play the emotional card!
so you expect the owner of that hus whose pic u posted to remove the house or what at this stage? Why do people like inflicting pains on others
Re: Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits by baslone: 7:27am On Sep 03, 2016
Nectarbaba:
so you expect the owner of that hus whose pic u posted to remove the house or what at this stage? Why do people like inflicting pains on others

Forget that thing. I have been through such pain as well when my land was revoked by the govt. Anyone that tells you he never knew he was building on an illegal spot is a big liar. We have illegal structures standing for 10/20 years. All you need do is to keep bribing the right people at Alausa. Forget all those "without notice" story.
Re: Lagos demolishes school building, duplexes over permits by Wyttcat: 12:26am On Sep 06, 2016
Get your head out of your anus and read again.

All your efforts to your generation unborn will be in vain.

Obey the law and stop playing victim.
justmenoni:
What exactly is that you're trying to point out?

Heatrow, SA, Ethiopia..ur snake weed is very strong..pray that your effort go in vain you hear!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fire Destroys House At Morris St, Alausa, Lagos / ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** / BERRY COURT, OMOLE PH 2 EXTENSION With C of O .Dry land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.