Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,754 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:31 PM

Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s ‘worst’ President Turned Best Ex-president - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s ‘worst’ President Turned Best Ex-president (1083 Views)

Kogi State Governor Disappointed As Vice President Turned Down Another Invitatio / Rats Invasion: Buhari Is The Worst President Ever - Mike Ozekhome / Under Jonathan, Nigeria Earned N51trillion From Crude Oil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s ‘worst’ President Turned Best Ex-president by erunz(m): 8:53am On Sep 02, 2016
Few men in the history of any nation are as privileged and fortunate, as former President Goodluck Jonathan, to have held every important position of authority and power, consecutively for 16 unbroken years. First elected in 1999 as deputy governor, then governor in 2005, later as vice president in 2007 and finally in 2010 as president and commander in chief of the armed forces of the Nigerian federation. Reputed to be amiable, simple and meek; his steady rise to power has been attributed more to divine providence and sheer luck, as his first name implies than any track record of proven competence and capacity at statecraft. Born on 20th Nov, 1957 in the riverine community of Otuoke in Bayelsa State, to Ijaw parents, Goodluck Jonathan is no doubt Nigeria’s greatest personal beneficiary of the 4th republic.
Expectedly, no literature is exhaustive and no consensus of opinion yet about his stewardship as president between may 6th 2010 and may 29th 2015, because it may be too early to fully appraise his tenure barely 14 months after he left office. But one thing is certain; Nigerians rejected him at the 2015 general elections and elected the candidate of the then opposition APC, Muhammadu Buhari as president. The 2015 general election was historic because in a rare precedence in Africa, unheard off in Nigeria, an incumbent president lost an election.
However, Jonathan’s loss of election and PDP’S fall from power after 16 years was a long time coming. The beginning of the end for the PDP started with the predicted and eventual death of former president Umar Musa Yar’adua on May 5th 2010 after a battle for his life with terminal illness. Events emanating from the long medical vacation of Yar’adua and his inability or unwillingness to hand over the mantle of powers to Goodluck, his vice even in acting capacity created a political tension in the country. Members of the Yar’adua administration’s kitchen cabinet, the “cabal” in which Jonathan was an outsider, were running the country by proxy, because Chief Kaase Aondoaka, the attorney general proclaimed that the president could rule from anywhere including his sick bed. But in a rare show of unity, the country rose to the occasion and in one voice urged then President Yar’adua to tow the part of honour {Olusegun Obasanjo} and constitutionality {Muhammadu Buhari}, by handing over to his vice [ Save Nigeria Group] while unable to discharge his functions as president. Through the ingenious “doctrine of necessity”, the National Assembly of the federation mandated Goodluck Jonathan to act as president in the absence of the substantive president and commander in chief. The nation heaved a sigh of relief and normalcy was restored. This event further endeared Goodluck Jonathan to Nigerians, with attendant goodwill because he was perceived to be maligned and marginalised in the scheme of things in the Yar’adua presidency.
Once he assumed full powers as president, it wasn’t long before another Goodluck Jonathan was unveiled. Nigerians mistook his timidity and naiveté for simplicity; for he barely understood Nigeria and Nigerians and remained an outsider in the power equation throughout his tenure. Beneath the calm and innocent look of his was a man driven by high ambitions and quest for power; he moved swiftly to consolidate his hold on power and prepared for his eventual election as president. His gentle manners and politeness effectively concealed a very vindictive fellow who rarely forgives his political adversaries; he quickly moved against all his opponents and stumbling blocks to power, beginning with AGF Aondaoaka, whom he redeployed from justice ministry to special duties and the sacking of the then PDP chairman, Vincent Ogbulafor, whose sin was pre-maturely declaring an embargo on southern candidacy for the presidency, because the north had not run its course, without first seeking the opinion of the president, a southerner, who was set to run for the presidency in clear violation of the zoning arrangement.
Once he lost his re-election bid, we again saw a different Jonathan. We saw a man who rose from the ashes of defeat, dusted up himself, accepted his fate by promptly conceding defeat and putting across that historic phone call to his opponent, Muhammadu Buhari, congratulating him to the relief of his countrymen and the delight of the international community. With this first step, Jonathan began a giant leap from his perception as Nigeria’s worst president ever to Nigeria’s best ex-president. He quickly followed up this gesture by organising the most comprehensive and seamless transition process ever seen in our country. Jonathan’s greatest achievement was losing in an election which he supervised as an incumbent, because that historic event has certified our democracy as fully grown and mature. A loss for Jonathan that was a massive gain for Nigeria.
Nigerians are now confident in the electoral system haven been emboldened by their ousting of an incumbent through the ballot. To Jonathan’s credit, he appointed a man of proven integrity and capacity, Attahiru Jega, a scholar of international repute as the chairman of INEC. An appointment that was based on merit and not on sectionalism, Jega’s performance was unparalleled in our electoral history. All the innovations and reforms carried out by Jega were made possible by the financial and moral support of Jonathan, thereby transforming Nigeria’s democratic experiment to a proven theory; a theory that power truly belongs to the people.

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s ‘worst’ President Turned Best Ex-president by Paperwhite(m): 9:06am On Sep 02, 2016
Like it or not-GEJ was the best to me.Just imagine what Buhari have plunge this country into within one year.

4 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s ‘worst’ President Turned Best Ex-president by disloman(m): 9:15am On Sep 02, 2016
Paperwhite:
Like it or not-GEJ was the best to me.Just imagine what Buhari have plunge this country into within one year.
Hmmmm.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s ‘worst’ President Turned Best Ex-president by NgeneUkwenu(f): 9:16am On Sep 02, 2016
Congregration of illiterates!

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s ‘worst’ President Turned Best Ex-president by oduastates: 9:17am On Sep 02, 2016
Best Ko. Best ni

Dear Mr President,
Can you please bring back the clueless ineffectual buffoon's policies and simply siddon look.
There are many paid clowns running around all over social media.
Mr Buhari please open the floodgates so that they can run down the foreign reserves in less than 6 months.
Nothing I would love more right now than see these unproductive clowns suffer and stricken with kwarchiokor.
Maybe by the time they start eating grains grown for animals and donated by foreign aid agencies, maybe then they will come back to their senses.

These clowns love Prada,Ralph Lauren, Jimmy Choos,Channel etc.
They love taking their girlfriends to the dubai every weekend.
They love their debit cards with $100,000 limits.
They love their Monthly shopping on bond Street, ,fifth avenue, Rodeo drive, Avenue montaigne.
Yet these are some of the most unproductive and destructive people on the surface of the earth.
The Nigerians in the diaspora see this culture everyday. A culture of senseless consumption, corruption , intellectual laziness, materialistism, compensatory inferiority and deluded spirituality.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s ‘worst’ President Turned Best Ex-president by dragonking3: 9:18am On Sep 02, 2016
Where your source ?
Re: Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s ‘worst’ President Turned Best Ex-president by Newmanluckyman(m): 9:19am On Sep 02, 2016
... A prophet has no respect in his father's house. But he is celebrated in another land. A classical case of GEJ.

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s ‘worst’ President Turned Best Ex-president by dragonking3: 9:21am On Sep 02, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:
Tell that to your parody minister of finance.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s ‘worst’ President Turned Best Ex-president by EpicMaurice(m): 9:28am On Sep 02, 2016
Oya......popcorn is ready!!!

Let the fight begin grin
Re: Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s ‘worst’ President Turned Best Ex-president by Pidggin(f): 10:05am On Sep 02, 2016
Good luck is the best!

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s ‘worst’ President Turned Best Ex-president by youngeagle(m): 10:43am On Sep 02, 2016
I don't know how he did it,but my life was stress free during his administration,can't remember the last time I took myself out on a wkend since this year,but during GEJ regime I did enjoyed my wkends,cook better meal,take my girl out,travels when ever I feel like...mehn whoever supports this useless administration deserves life imprisonment with hard labor
Re: Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s ‘worst’ President Turned Best Ex-president by mej67: 10:55am On Sep 02, 2016
Many Nigerians make legitimate income and should not be envied when they enjoy the fruit of their labour.

Many Nigerian musicians, manufaturers, traders and merchants are successful through genuine self effort.

Equating affluence to corruption is backward. Free enterprise should be encouraged. Not everybody is making corrupt money from government and those doing so are in extreme minority.

No need to nuke the entire economy and life of 180million citizens

[Qquote author=oduastates post=49004186]Best Ko. Best ni

Dear Mr President,
Can you please bring back the clueless ineffectual buffoon's policies and simply siddon look.
There are many paid clowns running around all over social media.
Mr Buhari please open the floodgates so that they can run down the foreign reserves in less than 6 months.
Nothing I would love more right now than see these unproductive clowns suffer and stricken with kwarchiokor.
Maybe by the time they start eating grains grown for animals and donated by foreign aid agencies, maybe then they will come back to their senses.

These clowns love Prada,Ralph Lauren, Jimmy Choos,Channel etc.
They love taking their girlfriends to the dubai every weekend.
They love their debit cards with $100,000 limits.
They love their Monthly shopping on bond Street, ,fifth avenue, Rodeo drive, Avenue montaigne.
Yet these are some of the most unproductive and destructive people on the surface of the earth.
The Nigerians in the diaspora see this culture everyday. A culture of senseless consumption, corruption , intellectual laziness, materialistism, compensatory inferiority and deluded spirituality.

[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s ‘worst’ President Turned Best Ex-president by oduastates: 11:00am On Sep 02, 2016
mej67:

Many Nigerians make legitimate income and should not be envied when they enjoy the fruit of their labour.

Many Nigerian musicians, manufaturers, traders and merchants are successful through genuine self effort.

Equating affluence to corruption is backward. Free enterprise should be encouraged. Not everybody is making corrupt money from government and those doing so are in extreme minority.

No need to nuke the entire economy and life of 180million citizens

[Qquote author=oduastates post=49004186]Best Ko. B
l sen

I am sure there are people who do socially useful work. Most especially the farmers, IT
I am not slicing and dicing what people are doing on an individual basis.
I am looking at the whole Nigerian landscape.

Are you telling me that Nigeria is not useless.

1 Nigeria cannot even build her roads. You need foreigners to do it for you in 2016.
Meanwhile, the streets of Ife were paved 300 years ago.

2 You cannot market your own agriculture produce. Foreigners go to your rural areas to find and buy them.

I can back up my assertion with 1000 reasons. I have only listed 2.
The fate of the people you claimed are doing stuffs is tied to the oil economy as well. They are not really doing out of the box stuffs.

For you to understand what I am talking about, go to Britain, enter a supermarket and check the packaging on almost every item.
You will see.

Great British beef
Great British tea
Great British ham
British this and that.

A lot of the stuffs were not grown in Britain but some were processed by British companies. But the amin thing is that British people are so patriotic that they back those things that are theirs.

I also know that beyond the age of 35, most stop being materialistic.

people do not want to admit it but you are all suffering from colonial mentality.
You are all bred to be consumers and traders and not makers.

You are taught to be followers and not leaders.

Your sense of attainment or worth is determined by the material things you have acquired.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s ‘worst’ President Turned Best Ex-president by Nobody: 11:25am On Sep 02, 2016
In the light of current events i am moved to say President Buhari had an ambition which was to govern Nigeria but vision to do so was a no no , Ex president jonathan may seem better now but gentlemen and women the fact is clear , both Ex president jonathan and President Buhari are not the best options for this country.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s ‘worst’ President Turned Best Ex-president by Ucheosefoh(m): 12:31pm On Sep 02, 2016
dragonking3:
Tell that to your parody minister of finance.
See finishing

Re: Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s ‘worst’ President Turned Best Ex-president by mrvitalis(m): 1:16pm On Sep 02, 2016
Paperwhite:
Let me explain something to u.. When a country sales a product it gets forex deposit it in its central bank and the central bank prints the local currency equivalent... when that country wants to buy the take the local currency equivalent to the central bank and they give them the forest equivalent
Our dollar demand is over 5bn dollars and we are only getting 2 billion so this made the price of dollars to increase
We should have deeped hand I to our reserves to save the day but we had no reserves... No country allows his reserve to go below 1 year demand.. but we have just 6 months so we can't use that
These lack of dollars is what lead to companies closing, because they can't afford dollars, price if goods hight because of cost of production. .. .
Hope u understand this.. So were is this buhari's fault
Re: Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s ‘worst’ President Turned Best Ex-president by hiredkiller: 1:19pm On Sep 02, 2016
[s]
NgeneUkwenu:
[/s]
what's this one saying
Re: Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s ‘worst’ President Turned Best Ex-president by hiredkiller: 1:21pm On Sep 02, 2016
youngeagle:
I don't know how he did it,but my life was stress free during his administration,can't remember the last time I took myself out on a wkend since this year,but during GEJ regime I did enjoyed my wkends,cook better meal,take my girl out,travels when ever I feel like...mehn whoever supports this useless administration deserves life imprisonment with hard labor
the person deserves to be raped by baboon in the asss till he/she dies a misreable death
Re: Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s ‘worst’ President Turned Best Ex-president by shammah1(m): 1:37pm On Sep 02, 2016
President Jonathan is the greatest of them all

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians Richest Politicians 2016 As Revealed By FBI / PHOTOS: NPA Boss, Hadiza Bala Usman Visits Gov. Ambode / Opinion Of A Mumu Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.