Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,895 members, 7,814,025 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:40 AM

"Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! (10630 Views)

Speed Kills Mpg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by MPVGoddess: 3:54pm On Sep 02, 2016
The other day I created a post about speed limiters.

In case you missed it: https://www.nairaland.com/3321111/installing-speed-limiters-vehicles-does
Now here is another controversial thread.

Those in favor say Yea

Those against say Nay.

Let's begin once again with a very interesting video.

Will post other interesting tidbits and studies as we go on.

The video i am posting below is the best takedown of the "Speed Kills" Fallacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BKdbxX1pDw

If you belong to the Speed Kills club, post an equivalent video, and supporting studies.

Over to you...

1 Like

Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by nedu2000(m): 4:23pm On Sep 02, 2016
We are definitely not smarter than the manufacturers that extend speeds to as high as 220km/h!! The cause of accidents have nothing to do with speed,moving at +100km/h doesn't sign my death warrant same moving below 100km/h doesn't mean you'll never be involved in an accident! Afterall trailers/trucks which generally move at 60km/h are involved in rather spectacular and deadly accidents.
The problem isn't speed but rather poor decision-making by drivers

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by menxer: 4:39pm On Sep 02, 2016
nedu2000:
We are definitely not smarter than the manufacturers that extend speeds to as high as 220km/h!! The cause of accidents have nothing to do with speed,moving at +100km/h doesn't sign my death warrant same moving below 100km/h doesn't mean you'll never be involved in an accident! Afterall trailers/trucks which generally move at 60km/h are involved in rather spectacular and deadly accidents.
The problem isn't speed but rather poor decision-making by drivers
I concur with you, "speed kills" must be defined.

I think it is losing control of a moving car irrespective of high or low speed that causes crashes, resulting in death.

High speed if anything thrills, until one loses control of the car.

Driving within the speed limits you can control the car and not endanger others or break traffic laws is the key.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by MPVGoddess: 4:45pm On Sep 02, 2016
Here is yet another video

Speed limits: Is faster safer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gHzdAR9OpM

I resisted the urge to be FTC

1 Like

Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by Nobody: 5:06pm On Sep 02, 2016
What do you expect when illiterates become bosses at road safety?
Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by nedu2000(m): 5:43pm On Sep 02, 2016
Speed limiters costs N60,000 par piece as at last yr,outside installation oh. It maybe over a N100,000 by now

1 Like

Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:54pm On Sep 02, 2016
speed saves lives, ask ambulance drivers grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by Kashif(m): 7:13pm On Sep 02, 2016
Speed does not kill. Over speed does.

1 Like

Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by MPVGoddess: 7:58pm On Sep 02, 2016
Speed does not kill,

if speed kills, anything faster than 0km or 0miles is speed, we should all be dying LOL

Speed that does not take into consideration road conditions and surrounding factors is what kills

This is what they should be preaching - 100km/hr no matter the conditions is senseless

There are conditions in which the better speed limit should be 10km/hr even if the posted speed limit is 100km/hr

They should be teaching drivers conditions that should influence or govern choice of speed since some people do not know

After the first video I posted came out, this is what the Globe and the Mail had to say:

Can a viral video really get speed limits changed?

You’ve probably heard of this because it has gone viral. I am not talking about an infectious agent within living cells, but a propaganda video that might lead to changes in unrealistically low speed limits.

Viral marketing is all about word of mouth as people pass an Internet video on to others so that contagious content spreads quickly. There’s a YouTube video from Vancouver that rang up half a million viewers within three days of being posted and has now reached upward of two million.

Chris Thompson wrote and produced the 15-minute video titled Speed Kills Your Pocketbook. It’s a well-researched series of arguments in favour of raising speed limits in British Columbia on appropriate roads to make them safer. The video is extremely entertaining and has hit a nerve with audiences.

It begins with an examination of Marine Drive in Vancouver, which is a six-lane road with a divider in a non-built-up area that has a 50-km/h speed limit. Just like sections of Lake Shore Boulevard in Toronto, Marine Drive has an unrealistically low speed limit that few obey, which makes it a favourite revenue trap for police.

It’s easy to find this video on YouTube and you should take a look because it’s difficult to adequately summarize a tightly focused, 15-minute script in a few words here. But to quote a section of Thompson’s script, “Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying we should be able to go as fast as we want or that speeding isn’t necessarily dangerous, but many speed limits are set far too low for conditions, and that seems to be where the majority of the ticketing is.”

There is an online lobby group in Ontario called www.stop100.ca that has signed up 11,000 people to a petition demanding 120 and 130 km/h speed limits on the 400-series highways. This would put Ontario in line with dozens of countries and numerous U.S. states that have set speed limits at these levels to reflect road engineering and the huge improvements in automotive handling and safety in the past two decades.

There is a huge amount of hypocrisy in the setting and enforcing of speed limits in Ontario.

As everyone who drives Highway 400 or 401 knows, there’s a steady stream of cars in the left lane doing 130, and it simply seems tough luck for the unfortunate one in a thousand that gets pulled over.

As the viral video points out, roads are safest when everyone’s travelling at the same speed in the same direction and paying attention. Government accidents statistics quoted in the video show that the various forms of distracted driving lead to far more accidents than speeding.

Speed limits are being reviewed in many jurisdictions. Last week, the state of Utah added 289 miles (465 km) of roads with 80-mph (129-km/h) speed limits. The state’s director of traffic and safety said studies found it would be safe to add the 80-mph zones on many sections of Interstate highways.

There is no evidence that a viral video drove the change in Utah but the growing influence of the Internet on politics is well established. Any serious political candidate worries about getting their YouTube channel up and running before they get into the buttons and lawn signs. Maybe if you’re thinking about fighting that speeding ticket you’d have more of a chance if you posted a good video.

Speed Kills Your Pocketbook is smart enough and funny enough to have an impact on the debate. Whether you’re on one side or the other on the issue, you’ll see the ingredients that make a political video go viral.

The article is just 3 years old since it was published September 28, 2013
Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by MPVGoddess: 8:01pm On Sep 02, 2016
menxer:

I think it is losing control of a moving car irrespective of high or low speed that causes crashes, resulting in death.

Driving within the speed limits you can control the car and not endanger others or break traffic laws is the key.

SPEED DOES NOT KILL on divided highways!

Let them give Nigerians expressways not pothole infested single lane death traps (undivided highways) masquerading as roads for roads and watch road fatalities crash like a pack of cards
Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by menxer: 8:28pm On Sep 02, 2016
MPVGoddess:

SPEED DOES NOT KILL on divided highways!

Let them give Nigerians expressways not pothole infested single lane death traps (undivided highways) masquerading as roads for roads and watch road fatalities crash like a pack of cards

Did I say speed kills?
What warrants your outburst on my mention?
Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by phibetakappa: 8:42pm On Sep 02, 2016
Overspeeding Rather kills. Just obey the speed limits.
Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by MPVGoddess: 8:43pm On Sep 02, 2016
menxer:

Did I say speed kills?
What warrants your outburst on my mention?

You said:

Am agreeing with you!

Sorry for any and all unintended offense(s)

Hope all is good now? smiley

2 Likes

Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by menxer: 9:14pm On Sep 02, 2016
MPVGoddess:

You said:

Am agreeing with you!

Sorry for any and all unintended offense(s)

Hope all is good now? smiley

You can say that again.
I am cool.

2 Likes

Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by MPVGoddess: 4:12am On Sep 03, 2016
Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by MPVGoddess: 4:26am On Sep 03, 2016
Kashif:
Speed does not kill. Over speed does.

You will love this article!

In one sentence it says, you are right because the current limit is arbitrary and fails to recognize road conditions!

Society of Automotive Engineers Report

that says
Highway Speed Limits Should be set to the 85th Percentile Speed.

WARRENDALE, Pa., Feb. 15 /PRNewswire/ -- The following was released by the Society of Automotive Engineers:

Can lowering speed limits increase accidents and accident severity? And raising them have little or no effect? A recent study performed to investigate the relationship between speed limits and accident rates found that in the case of Interstate Highways, the answer is yes.

These and other results of the study will be presented by George Z. Libertiny, Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) from 2-2:30 p.m., Tuesday, February 27 at the 1996 SAE International Congress and Exposition, Room D3-28, Cobo Center, Detroit.

On any given road, 85 percent of drivers travel at a speed that they find appropriate to the road, regardless of the posted speed limit. Some states use this "85-percentile" average speed in setting their speed limits. Yet, according to a Federal Highway Safety Administration report " ... the majority of speed limits are posted below the average speed of traffic."

When drivers encounter speeds they find unreasonably low, some will travel at the lower speed. But if most stay at higher speeds, faster moving cars are constantly overtaking and passing the slower-moving ones. This increases danger to both vehicles, since danger increases as the speed difference between vehicles increases.

Furthermore, if highway speed limits are set unreasonably low and are enforced through tickets to speeders, more motorists opt for secondary local roads with similar speed limits. These roads may be more convenient, but they have an accident rate nearly twice as high and an accident-fatality rate between two and three times that of the Interstate Highways.

Thus, the net effect of reducing speed limits may actually increase the number of speeding drivers and serious accidents on all roads.

On the other hand, while rural-interstate speed limits have been raised to 65 mph and traffic density on those roads has increased, the fatality rate on these roads has actually decreased. And according to a separate Federal Highway Administration study, raising speed limits does not increase speeding or the number of accidents.

The study suggests several ways that accidents can be reduced: 1.) interstate express roads should have speed limits representing road and tire design limitations; 2.) speed limits on these roads should be set by individual states and should reflect the effects of local traffic conditions and road quality; 3.) separate speed limits should be set for nighttime and wet roads; 4.) emergency services to rural roads should be improved to decrease the time it takes to get an accident victim to the hospital; 5.) seat belt laws should be strictly enforced; and 6.) laws regarding alcohol and other drug usage should be strengthened and diligently enforced.

For further information on the SAE International Congress and Exposition, which runs February 26-29, contact Sandi Kline at 412-772-8547.

CO: Society of Automotive Engineers
ST: Pennsylvania, Michigan
IN: AUT
Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by Mrsmariss: 6:14am On Sep 03, 2016
Not dat speed kills it only kills faster when dey is a problem with d car on the way and on a high speed

1 Like

Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by ironheart(m): 6:15am On Sep 03, 2016
Speed does not kill,

but it kills 98,% of the times in Nigeria because

we leave our vehicle at the mercy of some kazeems who remove nuts and bolt telling you that it doesnt matter

Transporters modify their vehicles to take more loads by increasing the back spring and shock absorbers. This will affect the centre of gravity of the car.

Over or under inflation of car tires

Worn out tires

Lagosians for instance are driven in death traps and the authorities like LASMA, VIO, POLICE & FRSC do nothing about it.

3 Likes

Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by anyicash(m): 6:17am On Sep 03, 2016
Could u believe that this topic can make a front page?
Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by LarryBeryl(m): 6:23am On Sep 03, 2016
Taking a view to the world of education, speed is needed to attain more chances of becoming successful. Does speed really kills?
But on the other hand, speed is useful to get to destinations quickly, but a small problem would undoubtedly lead to a catastrophic downfall.
Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by GraceInUSA: 6:24am On Sep 03, 2016
Bad roads kill faster than speed. Government and philanthropic individuals should first work on the bad roads.
Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by Victorakats(m): 6:24am On Sep 03, 2016
Truth is Nigeria road network is not the best environment for this argument. But truly speed kills!

Looking for love?? Visit www.amaraofficial.com.

1 Like

Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by lawson06(m): 6:24am On Sep 03, 2016
Mrsmariss:
Not dat speed kills it only kills faster when dey is a problem with d car on the way and on a high speed

Fact
Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by Icecomrade: 6:26am On Sep 03, 2016
No
Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by dnawah(m): 6:38am On Sep 03, 2016
MPVGoddess:
The other day I created a post about speed limiters.

In case you missed it: https://www.nairaland.com/3321111/installing-speed-limiters-vehicles-does
Now here is another controversial thread.

Those in favor say Yea

Those against say Nay.

Let's begin once again with a very interesting video.

Will post other interesting tidbits and studies as we go on.

The video i am posting below is the best takedown of the "Speed Kills" Fallacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BKdbxX1pDw

If you belong to the Speed Kills club, post an equivalent video, and supporting studies.

Over to you...
speed does not kill!rather OVER speed kill!!speed is distance/(over)time taken.now jets check the speed of a tortoise,which travel from point A to B.distance is 1km for 24hrs.calculate the speed.(in m/s)
Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by iPopAlomo(m): 6:56am On Sep 03, 2016
imagine the hypocrisy...

last year... I opened a.thread about clocking 180km and explaining the thrills of speeding at one's own controlled limit... guess what... that thread was deleted by Seun and his mods...

seeing this hit front page leaves a bad taste in my mouth... e be like say nairaland nah padi padi forum...

4 Likes

Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by SPG4U(m): 7:02am On Sep 03, 2016
Over speeding kills.....
Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by papadjaji: 7:03am On Sep 03, 2016
I still do not get the argument.
The video has around 40km/hr to 60 km/hr as speed limits.
Here in Nigeria, it's 100km/hr for non trucks n trailers.
I am wondering, someone driving at 200 km/hr and d guy doing 100km/hr, who has more time to make a decision on a road situation?
Whose car is likely to spin out of control?
Whose car is likely to be crushed if they both had 5 seconds before running into a park trailer?
Who will react better if a pot hole as big as a village well shows up in the middle of the express?
In Nigeria, speed kills is not an APC campaign. Its a fact seen over and over again.
My final comment, speed kills.

3 Likes

Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by iPopAlomo(m): 7:07am On Sep 03, 2016
papadjaji:
I still do not get the argument.
The video has around 40km/hr to 60 km/hr as speed limits.
Here in Nigeria, it's 100km/hr for non trucks n trailers.
I am wondering, someone driving at 200 km/hr and d guy doing 100km/hr, who has more time to make a decision on a road situation?
Whose car is likely to spin out of control?
Whose car is likely to be crushed if they both had 5 seconds before running into a park trailer?
Who will react better if a pot hole as big as a village well shows up in the middle of the express?
In Nigeria, speed kills is not an APC campaign. Its a fact seen over and over again.
My final comment, speed kills.

You know nothing...
Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by papadjaji: 7:09am On Sep 03, 2016
dnawah:
speed does not kill!rather OVER speed kill!!speed is distance/(over)time taken.now jets check the speed of a tortoise,which travel from point A to B.distance is 1km for 24hrs.calculate the speed.(in m/s)

That is the definition in the math/physics classroom.
That rate at which some travel can still be referred to as crawling.

On d roads(street to highways) speed refers to travelling over the limits.
But you are very correct sa "book" wise.
Re: "Speed Kills" - Argue For And Against Here! by papadjaji: 7:13am On Sep 03, 2016
iPopAlomo:

You know nothing...

I agree. Only if you have seen things I have seen and accidents I have been involved in, ur brain would have had a hard reset long time ago. No insult intended pls.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

4 Effective Fuel Management Tips During Fuel Scarcity / Reasons Why You Shouldn't Drive On A Flat Tire / NADDC Announces Automotive Design Challenge For Young Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.