Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,286 members, 7,818,974 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:15 AM

Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? (33142 Views)

Of Thomas Edison: Don't Let Anyone Put You Down. / Albert Einstein Begged His Daughter To Protect This / Happy Birthday, Albert Einstein!Things You Never Knew About The Scientist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Nobody: 9:05am On Sep 03, 2016
Jaggzzy:
E=MC^2
why are you quoting a mathematical expression?
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Nobody: 9:07am On Sep 03, 2016
Albert Einstein contributed most to science.....albert einstein shook the world of science when he discovered the thoery of relativity and he can be said to be the father of modern science. He was able to accurately reveal how the universe behaves and it is work all scientists are living on todaay.
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Waspy(m): 9:07am On Sep 03, 2016
Just when Einstein was abt to delve into the concept of TIME, the concept that separates Mortals from Immortals, he died.

1 Like

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Dollyak(f): 9:11am On Sep 03, 2016
elitebmb:
Albert Einstein wouldn't come up with a theory if not for the eyes (light bulb invention) given to him by Thomas Edison!
No doubt, they were both great science savvy, but much credit is often given to Thomas Edison!

I did my research and Edison ranks first on major science magazines. Einstein is no match for he great Edison, do your research, he would always rank no.2.
This has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. So you think the light from Thomas Edison bulb was what aided his invention grin? If you want to go down this path, I would say Nicola Tesla inventions were even more useful than that of Thomas Edison. Anyways, in terms of weight of inventions relevant to this earth, you can't beat the following guys;
1 Isaac Newton (Universal Law of Gravity)
2. Daniel Bernoulli (Law of Hydrodynamic Pressure)
3. Michael Faraday (Law of Electromagnetic Induction)
4. Rudolf Clausius (Second Law of Thermodynamics)
5. Albert Einstein (Theory of Special Relativity)

Special mention to Paul Dirac and Niel Bohr.

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by groundnutoil(m): 9:12am On Sep 03, 2016
Dis contest shud be albert vs newton nt edison
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Dollyak(f): 9:17am On Sep 03, 2016
groundnutoil:
Dis contest shud be albert vs newton nt edison
Indeed. I am even more surprised Seun with Science background would allow his Mods to push this on the front page.
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Truth234(m): 9:20am On Sep 03, 2016
Puvour:
Einstein of course
Some people have given the reasons above by stating some of his achievements but let me simplify it as much as I can for non-science people.
Imagine being told that "time" as you know it is not constant but two different people will read different times on their clocks if they are both moving at different speeds that is large enough.
That time will also be slower for those of us that are on ground than those that are flying in an airplane for the same event. (gravitational time dilation). In other words, if your twin brother left the ground and was living far above on mountain everest (if it were possible), after so many years, he would have been older than you even if both of you time yourselves with the same accurate clock (say an atomic clock).
The application of these concepts is what makes it possible for your GPS to tell you what exact position that you are on earth accurately.
Another thing that may sound strange to you; When you drop a stone from a height, especially where there is no air to push against it as it falls, ordinarily you would expect the stone's speed to keep increasing until it hits the ground right? Well, that's not true. In fact, right from the moment it started dropping, its speed remains the same! And it never changes throughout it's fall. You only think it's increasing because it's you who is actually "moving" relative to the stone. [b]Any object moving in space ordinarily does so at a uniform speed including your stone. We always assumed that the earth has a force from within it that pulls us to herself and therefore makes our speed increase with time (acceleration by Newton's Idea), [/b]but it's not true. There is no force from within the earth. That's why when you fall freely in a lift for instance, you feel as if you have no weight, as if there is no force whatsoever acting on you. Because there is actually none. Now the reason might get a little confusing. Space and time bends around a massive object like the earth, so although your falling stone covers an equal distance in every second( constant speed) in the real sense, to you it's speed is increasing because you are judging it based on a curved/bent space and time.
These ideas have helped us understand better the nature of our universe, where it started from (big bang), where it will possibly lead to, the application of space technology in forecasting disease outbreaks on a farm, disaster management, solid mineral exploration, defence and security, weather forecast, even in public health as well as GIS/GPS.
Einsteins works are evolutionary!

Good job but that was first carried out by Galileo Galilei

1 Like

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Princemanuel(m): 9:22am On Sep 03, 2016
sbabimbola:
The TWO GREAT MEN DID THEIR BEST .....

The question for You and I should be ;
what will you be remembered for?
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Foxie: 9:28am On Sep 03, 2016
This is the height of joblessness and idleness. Of what use is comparing their contribution to science? Why not think of ways to impact your generation and contribute to science yourself? @ the MOD who pushed this to the front page, you should be examined. What is the usefulness of this thread? #Receivesenseinthenameofwhateveryouworship!

1 Like

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Puvour: 9:28am On Sep 03, 2016
Truth234:

Good job but that was first carried out by Galileo Galilei
There is a difference. Galileo Galilee could not explain why all these phenomena are true. Einstein provided the ground breaking explanation to all the occurrences I mentioned. So it's safe to say it's Einsteins understanding of the concepts that revolutionalized our knowledge of the universe as we know it today.
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Truth234(m): 9:33am On Sep 03, 2016
Puvour:
There is a difference. Galileo Galilee could not explain why all these phenomena are true. Einstein provided the ground breaking explanation to all the occurrences I mentioned. So it's safe to say it's Einsteins understanding of the concepts that revolutionalized our knowledge of the universe as we know it today.

Not at all, he clearly explained the part I quoted (same acceleration), while simultaneously disproving Aristotle's theory of gravity. So Einsteins only further what has been established by his predecessor. And so did Isaac Newton.
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Puvour: 9:40am On Sep 03, 2016
Truth234:

Not at all, he clearly explained the part I quoted (same acceleration), while simultaneously disproving Aristotle's theory of gravity. So Einsteins only further what has been established by his predecessor. And so did Isaac Newton.
You didn't quote well. I didn't see the part you quoted so you should edit. Yes if it's just that part, it's true. I made that statement to state what we always knew before Einstein revolutionalized the thinking. Of course, all of Einsteins work were not purely his works, he simply built on the ideas of past scientists like Newton and Galileo. Isn't that what science is about?
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by GogetterMD(m): 9:57am On Sep 03, 2016
josephni12:
I want to really know who contributed more to science between Thomas Edison and Albert Einstein
Nikola Tesla
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by ekwuzzy17(m): 9:58am On Sep 03, 2016
dejavubobo1:
Which of them invented this, I guess ds inventor is more useful than both put together grin

excuse me broda

wat kinda free kick is that

lwkmd
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by greenify: 10:01am On Sep 03, 2016
Our nigerians people like to follow follow. All d science students are just shouting Albert Einstein is d best scientist. Pls how many inventions have u people invent through all his theories in Nigeria. And tell me how many things our nigerians have produced through Thomas Edison invention. Do u all know most of d appliances we all use at home,schools, offices and elsewhere are d product of Thomas Edison.
Albert Einstein was a great scientist but most of his theories are not made use here in Nigeria and I can live without his theories but difficult to live without Thomas Edison invention.

2 Likes

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by leofab(f): 10:08am On Sep 03, 2016
Comparing Edison and sir Einstein is like compacting sir Awolowo and Ojiukwu's father all because they used his car to carry queen Elizabeth around when she first came to Nigeria.. Op, what an Insult to the father of quantum physics...
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by flamingREED(m): 10:10am On Sep 03, 2016
dejavubobo1:
Which of them invented this, I guess ds inventor is more useful than both put together grin

grin
Hahaha. Free kick behind the goal.

Wonderful

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by pepigeorge(m): 10:11am On Sep 03, 2016
That Albert Einstein formula
E = mc^2....
and his uncertainty theory

Brother nor compare o...... them nor be mate

Wen Arico femi the man who harness the atomic energy was been given Nobel prize.... he said he is number2 but number 1 is Albert Einstein. .

Who b rat Thomas Edison..... he nor every get level reach Faraday
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Goyim: 10:24am On Sep 03, 2016
tdayof:

-His one of the spookiest theory about Quantum Entanglement was later proved to be correct, which might (repeat, might) provide an insight on the development of technology for teleportation.

Your post was making sense (even though it was written out of great sentimentality) until i read that quote up there. Which is not what Q.entanglement stands for, but W/E.

Also Edison was a great man, despite his attitude he revolutionized technology during his own time when theories about physics where scares and also he applied most of the theory into practice, he was practically an inventor/businessman,that last bit must have made him what he was ( arrogant) but never the less no one can dispute that if there was an Edison of this era he will probably try to put together alot of theories in other to invent revolutionary device.

Edison was not a scientist like Albert.E but he did make the most of what he had and i don't even know why dumbass Op will compare the two of them in the first place. Its like comparing an engineer with a business man. It will be fair to compare a scientist to another scientist because to me Thomas edison was more ahead of Albert.E in terms of invention while Albert was greater than Edison in terms of theories,

5 Likes

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Chrisrare: 10:25am On Sep 03, 2016
Einstein is obviously more brilliant, but Edison's contributions are more useful to humanity. Its difficult to survive without the latter's inventions, but we will live fine without the former's theories...

1 Like

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Nairadays: 10:26am On Sep 03, 2016
I'll go with the poster above me. @Chrisrare.

Also Einstein Special Theory of Relativity was instrumental in facilitating the development of the Atomic Bomb.

"In 1905, as part of his Special Theory of Relativity, he made the intriguing point that a large amount of energy could be released from a small amount of matter. This was expressed by the equation E=mc2 (energy = mass times the speed of light squared). The atomic bomb would clearly illustrate this principle. " See Albert Einstein and The Atomic Bomb http://www.doug-long.com/einstein.htm

The light bulb is still in my room.
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Goyim: 10:29am On Sep 03, 2016
pepigeorge:
That Albert Einstein formula
E = mc^2....
and his uncertainty theory

Brother nor compare o...... them nor be mate

Wen Arico femi the man who harness the atomic energy was been given Nobel prize.... he said he is number2 but number 1 is Albert Einstein. .

Who b rat Thomas Edison..... he nor every get level reach Faraday

Einstein wasnt the first to postulate that energy was equal to mass multiplied by the speed of light constant suqared.
He only simplified an already existing formulae.
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Nobody: 10:30am On Sep 03, 2016
Damianobi:
op are u even a student at all? Even an art student knws albert einstein contributed more. Abi jonathan and buhari who has contributed more to nigeria.
Buhari! Jonathan drained Nigeria.
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by mightyhazell: 10:31am On Sep 03, 2016
U wan spoil dis thread with u silly tribalism abi? English sef u no sabi!
leofab:
Comparing Edison and sir Einstein is like compacting sir Awolowo and Ojiukwu's father all because they used his car to carry queen Elizabeth around when she first came to Nigeria.. Op, what an Insult to the father of quantum physics...

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Nobody: 10:33am On Sep 03, 2016
montezz:
Ask quora lol
perfect answer
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by 989900: 10:35am On Sep 03, 2016
tdayof:
Albert. Even Nikola Tesla was greater than Thomas Edison. Edison tried to discredit Tesla and his inventions , which a true genius would have never done.

It would be not prudent to compare them, but still I'd go with Albert Einstein.
The reason is clear; Einstein's famous 'thought experiment' was something that was never thought of previously (however there are claims that the conclusions drawn by Einstein were already contrived up by someone before, but let's just leave it), and still remains fundamentally correct.

Edison certainly has several patents to his name, more than a thousand, but then one should know the fact that it was not only Edison behind what these patents are. His whole team was behind the curtain, and their credits were credited to Edison. It also is easy to grasp that the inventions he did, like gramophone, voting machines, etc. (mind well light bulb wasn't invented by him, he just perfected it) could be made by other individuals sooner or later, he was just the 'first one'.

On the other hand, the ideas posed by Einstein are revolutionary, out of the box, yet true. Not only did he dare to establish his weird idea, but also proved them, mathematically, stating that he didn't hypothesize things. Until now, nobody and nothing has disproved Einstein's theory of relativity. It has stood shiningly through all the tests scientists have posed.

Edison also was not a better person by nature. He literally harassed Nikola Tesla, an other better genius counterpart of him, because Tesla just said that Edison's direct current system was inefficient; which led to the famous 'war of currents' between them, which was of course won by Tesla.

For those who'll argue that there is no impact of Einstein's ideas on the common man compared to Edison's, here's something to read:
-Einstein's theories of relativity (both, general and special) play an important role in GPS navigation system most of us internet users rely upon.
-Einstein's paper about the photoelectric effect revolutionised the solar panels, which are likely to be one of the primary technology which is needed to be perfected for the future absence of the conventional energy sources. He got the Nobel prize for this.
-Due to his ideas, we've been able to understand the universe in a better way, and hence the astrophysics is flourishing.
-Electromagnets (which inarguably play a substantial role in every person's life) are better understood by Special theory of relativity. (Google 'relativistic electromagnetism')
For physicists, his ideas still serve as the supporting blocks to develop new theories.
-His prediction that gravity 'bends' the space-time and hence light, ruptured Sir Newton's theory about Gravity; now we know Gravity better.
-His concept of bending of space-time helped physicists understand the presence of dark matter.
-His one of the spookiest theory about Quantum Entanglement was later proved to be correct, which might (repeat, might) provide an insight on the development of technology for teleportation.

Yes, he has made certain mistakes, but they still fail Edison to elevate intellectually compared to Einstein, in my opinion.
The bottom line:
Mother earth could have given birth to an other Edison, but Einstein is unique.
Also I have the graceful Time magazine to back me up:
[img]http://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-2fae49e7b370ca8924bec4c366a75702-c?convert_to_webp=true[/img]

Comparison is out of it. If you really enjoy physics, you will know the difference. It's not just about reading about their achievement.

Well articulated!
You've got to marvel at Einsteins perception, and how he effortlessly breaks things down. He was sure one of a kind; Tesla too.

My fascination is, bending of space/time for travel . . . we will get there, maybe in a million years.
#wormholes

I watched one video about the 'Bermuda triangle' and the 'wormhole' angle, have you seen it?
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by mightyhazell: 10:37am On Sep 03, 2016
I'd say both men are great and shdt really be compared! I'l liken dis kind of comparison 2 giving a good food and drink 2 a starving man in the desert and giving a v necessary shot of antibiotics to a man wit life threathening infection,...
U can't say one is more useful to the other wen comparing both cases.
Edison gave the world a breathtaking array of inventions,...while einstein gave the world a whole array of solutions!

5 Likes

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by EdoBoy90(m): 10:41am On Sep 03, 2016
After 100 years on, Gravitational waves confirmed in Breakthrough Research. It was Albert Einstein who propounded gravitational waves.

Gravitational waves propagation makes it possible for us to send and receive radio signals, radar signals, television signals and even make call and receive calls.

Gravitational waves propagation will make it possible for objects to suspend in the vacuum or air without hitting the earth. it has the potential to transmit and receive sound and light signals.

If gravity can be manipulated, think of all the possibilities like levitation, flying with little energy to take off, space travel, deep sea exploration.

Kudos to Albert Einstein the great. Einstein was ahead of his generation.

Einstein is greater than Thomas Edison.
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Shiitposter: 10:42am On Sep 03, 2016
Dollyak:

This has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. So you think the light from Thomas Edison bulb was what aided his invention grin? If you want to go down this path, I would say Nicola Tesla inventions were even more useful than that of Thomas Edison. Anyways, in terms of weight of inventions relevant to this earth, you can't beat the following guys;
1 Isaac Newton (Universal Law of Gravity)
2. Daniel Bernoulli (Law of Hydrodynamic Pressure)
3. Michael Faraday (Law of Electromagnetic Induction)
4. Rudolf Clausius (Second Law of Thermodynamics)
5. Albert Einstein (Theory of Special Relativity)

Special mention to Paul Dirac and Niel Bohr.

Telsa had soo many unfinished project that he became a meme scientist.
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by pepigeorge(m): 10:43am On Sep 03, 2016
Goyim:

Einstein wasnt the first to postulate that energy was equal to mass multiplied by the speed of light constant suqared.
He only simplified an already existing formulae.

Dat simplification made him the greatest......

His postulate of time and space ....... is too not understood by great scientists. ...

He wud have concluded it if not for the limitation of age
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Shiitposter: 10:44am On Sep 03, 2016
EdoBoy90:
After 100 years on, Gravitational waves confirmed in Breakthrough Research. It was Albert Einstein who propounded gravitational waves.

Gravitational waves propagation makes it possible for us to send and receive radio signals, radar signals, television signals and even make call and receive calls.

Gravitational waves propagation will make it possible for objects to suspend in the vacuum or air without hitting the earth. it has the potential to transmit and receive sound and light signals.

If gravity can be manipulated, think of all the possibilities like levitation, flying with little energy to take off, space travel, deep sea exploration.

Kudos to Albert Einstein the great. Einstein was ahead of his generation.

Einstein is greater than Thomas Edison.

Another dumb post.

1 Like

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Nobody: 10:49am On Sep 03, 2016
Nairadays:
I'll go with the poster above me. @Chrisrare.

Also Einstein Special Theory of Relativity was instrumental in facilitating the development of the Atomic Bomb.

"In 1905, as part of his Special Theory of Relativity, he made the intriguing point that a large amount of energy could be released from a small amount of matter. This was expressed by the equation E=mc2 (energy = mass times the speed of light squared). The atomic bomb would clearly illustrate this principle. " See Albert Einstein and The Atomic Bomb http://www.doug-long.com/einstein.htm

The light bulb is still in my room.

Hows atomic bomb a great invention? Literally one if the most destructive invention in human history.
Mayb when you get a taste of atomic energy like the Japanese, then you will learn to hate Einstein and Oppenheimer

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

ECO TECH JUMIA Fuelless Generator — Tell Me If This Thing Is A Scam [PICTURE] / Nigerian Man Rejoices As He Captures A Very Big Owl In His Home (Pics/Video) / Complete Skeleton Of Duelling Dinosaurs From 67 million Years Ago Revealed (Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.