Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,674 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:39 PM

Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? - Science/Technology (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? (33140 Views)

Of Thomas Edison: Don't Let Anyone Put You Down. / Albert Einstein Begged His Daughter To Protect This / Happy Birthday, Albert Einstein!Things You Never Knew About The Scientist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by akomst: 3:18pm On Sep 03, 2016
tdayof:
Albert. Even Nikola Tesla was greater than Thomas Edison. Edison tried to discredit Tesla and his inventions , which a true genius would have never done.

It would be not prudent to compare them, but still I'd go with Albert Einstein.
The reason is clear; Einstein's famous 'thought experiment' was something that was never thought of previously (however there are claims that the conclusions drawn by Einstein were already contrived up by someone before, but let's just leave it), and still remains fundamentally correct.

Edison certainly has several patents to his name, more than a thousand, but then one should know the fact that it was not only Edison behind what these patents are. His whole team was behind the curtain, and their credits were credited to Edison. It also is easy to grasp that the inventions he did, like gramophone, voting machines, etc. (mind well light bulb wasn't invented by him, he just perfected it) could be made by other individuals sooner or later, he was just the 'first one'.

On the other hand, the ideas posed by Einstein are revolutionary, out of the box, yet true. Not only did he dare to establish his weird idea, but also proved them, mathematically, stating that he didn't hypothesize things. Until now, nobody and nothing has disproved Einstein's theory of relativity. It has stood shiningly through all the tests scientists have posed.

Edison also was not a better person by nature. He literally harassed Nikola Tesla, an other better genius counterpart of him, because Tesla just said that Edison's direct current system was inefficient; which led to the famous 'war of currents' between them, which was of course won by Tesla.

[b]For those who'll argue that there is no impact of Einstein's ideas on the common man compared to Edison's, here's something to read:
-Einstein's theories of relativity (both, general and special) play an important role in GPS navigation system most of us internet users rely upon.
-Einstein's paper about the photoelectric effect revolutionised the solar panels, which are likely to be one of the primary technology which is needed to be perfected for the future absence of the conventional energy sources. He got the Nobel prize for this.
-Due to his ideas, we've been able to understand the universe in a better way, and hence the astrophysics is flourishing.
-Electromagnets (which inarguably play a substantial role in every person's life) are better understood by Special theory of relativity. (Google 'relativistic electromagnetism')
For physicists, his ideas still serve as the supporting blocks to develop new theories.
-His prediction that gravity 'bends' the space-time and hence light, ruptured Sir Newton's theory about Gravity; now we know Gravity better.
-His concept of bending of space-time helped physicists understand the presence of dark matter.
-His one of the spookiest theory about Quantum Entanglement was later proved to be correct, which might (repeat, might) provide an insight on the development of technology for teleportation.
Yes, he has made certain mistakes, but they still fail Edison to elevate intellectually compared to Einstein, in my opinion.
The bottom line:
Mother earth could have given birth to an other Edison, but Einstein is unique. [/b]
Also I have the graceful Time magazine to back me up:
[img]http://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-2fae49e7b370ca8924bec4c366a75702-c?convert_to_webp=true[/img]

Comparison is out of it. If you really enjoy physics, you will know the difference. It's not just about reading about their achievement.

I had that time magazine in the early 2000 and it was motivational particularly the story of Einstein and Isaac Newton. You just did Justice to the op question.

1 Like

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by CzarChris(m): 3:31pm On Sep 03, 2016
hUmaneOne:
OP you're just unnecessarily silly..

Must one be greater than the other? Must it be a competition? What is your point sef?

Those f0olish folks talking about Edison's bulb not being in use, you don't know technology is always modified?

why on God's earth must you insult anybody? That other people have a different view from you, is enough reason to throw courtesy in the air and act like a wild beast?

Well, no competition there Einstein is in a world of his own. Agreed edison, was a hardworking entrepreneur, but one cannot call him an inventor. It was edison who spoke in a conference "that in the industry, everybody steals and that he can never be caught because he knows how to steal". It was edison under the sponsorship of JP Morgan, tried to discredit tesla's work on AC against his own DC. Well, we all know how that worked out.

As far as geniuses go it's only Leonardo da Vinci that can be compared to that of Einstein. Einstein work on relativity, photoelectricity, brownian motion, avogadro's number/size of molecules, bose - einstein condensate. The list is enormous, most inventions we have today from nuclear plants to solar energy are all as a result of einstein's works. It's on record that Albert Einstein destroyed most of his calculations(including that for time travel) after the dropping of "little boy" on hiroshima, because of the destructive nature of humans.

For me, Albert Einstein is the greatest.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Shinzyy: 3:38pm On Sep 03, 2016
The most detailed and brilliant comment have ever seen here on nairaland....actually made me feel like i was studying.
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by hUmaneOne: 4:06pm On Sep 03, 2016
CzarChris:
why on God's earth must you insult anybody? That other people have a different view from you, is enough reason to throw courtesy in the air and act like a wild beast?

Well, no competition there Einstein is in a world of his own. Agreed edison, was a hardworking entrepreneur, but one cannot call him an inventor. It was edison who spoke in a conference "that in the industry, everybody steals and that he can never be caught because he knows how to steal". It was edison under the sponsorship of JP Morgan, tried to discredit tesla's work on AC against his own DC. Well, we all know how that worked out.

As far as geniuses go it's only Leonardo da Vinci that can be compared to that of Einstein. Einstein work on relativity, photoelectricity, brownian motion, avogadro's number/size of molecules, bose - einstein condensate. The list is enormous, most inventions we have today from nuclear plants to solar energy are all as a result of einstein's works. It's on record that Albert Einstein destroyed most of his calculations(including that for time travel) after the dropping of "little boy" on hiroshima, because of the destructive nature of humans.

For me, Albert Einstein is the greatest.

I didn't mean any insult.
In science you don't do comparisons as such. It breeds unnecessary bitter arguments which are non productive.
We should be thinking of climbing the shoulders of these great men and not asking who's better..

They are both great,and one rode on the others shoulder. Like Elijah and Elisha..

To the issue of Edison's bulb, it was one of the greatest inventions before it was modified to for modern standards.,
The nuclear technology drew a wide range of knowledge base from , maths, theoretical physics, radioactivity etc. So don't you dare say it was based on Einstein's knowledge. It is an insult to other scientists who contributed.

Same way some of Einstein's working were modified for modern day working (google it).

Science always evolve the same way the great Newton's 3rd law is being debunked . We all agree Newton is one of the founding fathers of science and his theory being debunked doesn't make him less of a great man.
Even Einstein cannot be compared to Newton. Some schools of thought even say Max Planck was greater.

Edison was inventor and also an entrepreneur(a skill Einstein didn't have) so don't say what you don't know..

[s]I wonder what you've contributed to humanity [/s]

2 Likes

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by hunter21(m): 4:24pm On Sep 03, 2016
Nikola tesla is the real genius
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by KazukiIto(m): 5:18pm On Sep 03, 2016
The greatest is Hideo Kojima
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by 989900: 5:53pm On Sep 03, 2016
KazukiIto:
The greatest is Hideo Kojima

LoL.
cheesy
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by BlackOnassis(m): 6:04pm On Sep 03, 2016
I can understand Edison's works but Einstein just makes my head hurt. grin I really hate that Einstein guy, he is in a league of his own.

1 Like

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Sep 03, 2016
leofab:
.. Op, what an Insult to the father of quantum physics...

And how exactly has the father of quantum physics affected you positively in your day to day activities?
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Sep 03, 2016
tdayof:
Mr man not everyone is dumb. You do not know quantum physics doesn't mean I don't. I am an aerospace engineering student and except you don't wanna graduate you can be enemy with mathematics and physics.

What college do you attend?
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by MightySparrow: 6:16pm On Sep 03, 2016
Einstein wasn't an inventor but a pure scientist. However his atomic bomb which was suggested to Roosevelt ended the II world war and still holds nations today to balance threat among themselves.
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by tdayof(m): 6:23pm On Sep 03, 2016
Wingback:

What college do you attend?
University. SAU

1 Like

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by tdayof(m): 6:30pm On Sep 03, 2016
Wingback:

And how exactly has the father of quantum physics affected you positively in your day to day activities?
Nice question you asked him. Your smart phone. Your eyeballs. Digital cameras. Definitely the little Flash cards used to store all your camera's photos and your phone's apps. But seriously, every transistor is a quantum mechanical device. As is any device, your eyeballs included, that can convert a stream of photons into an electrical signal.

1 Like

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by UyiIredia(m): 6:35pm On Sep 03, 2016
I think Thomas takes the cake here. His inventions changed the way science was done forever.
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Pinocchioo(f): 6:56pm On Sep 03, 2016
tdayof:
Albert. Even Nikola Tesla was greater than Thomas Edison. Edison tried to discredit Tesla and his inventions , which a true genius would have never done.

It would be not prudent to compare them, but still I'd go with Albert Einstein.
The reason is clear; Einstein's famous 'thought experiment' was something that was never thought of previously (however there are claims that the conclusions drawn by Einstein were already contrived up by someone before, but let's just leave it), and still remains fundamentally correct.

Edison certainly has several patents to his name, more than a thousand, but then one should know the fact that it was not only Edison behind what these patents are. His whole team was behind the curtain, and their credits were credited to Edison. It also is easy to grasp that the inventions he did, like gramophone, voting machines, etc. (mind well light bulb wasn't invented by him, he just perfected it) could be made by other individuals sooner or later, he was just the 'first one'.

On the other hand, the ideas posed by Einstein are revolutionary, out of the box, yet true. Not only did he dare to establish his weird idea, but also proved them, mathematically, stating that he didn't hypothesize things. Until now, nobody and nothing has disproved Einstein's theory of relativity. It has stood shiningly through all the tests scientists have posed.

Edison also was not a better person by nature. He literally harassed Nikola Tesla, an other better genius counterpart of him, because Tesla just said that Edison's direct current system was inefficient; which led to the famous 'war of currents' between them, which was of course won by Tesla.

[b]For those who'll argue that there is no impact of Einstein's ideas on the common man compared to Edison's, here's something to read:
-Einstein's theories of relativity (both, general and special) play an important role in GPS navigation system most of us internet users rely upon.
-Einstein's paper about the photoelectric effect revolutionised the solar panels, which are likely to be one of the primary technology which is needed to be perfected for the future absence of the conventional energy sources. He got the Nobel prize for this.
-Due to his ideas, we've been able to understand the universe in a better way, and hence the astrophysics is flourishing.
-Electromagnets (which inarguably play a substantial role in every person's life) are better understood by Special theory of relativity. (Google 'relativistic electromagnetism')
For physicists, his ideas still serve as the supporting blocks to develop new theories.
-His prediction that gravity 'bends' the space-time and hence light, ruptured Sir Newton's theory about Gravity; now we know Gravity better.
-His concept of bending of space-time helped physicists understand the presence of dark matter.
-His one of the spookiest theory about Quantum Entanglement was later proved to be correct, which might (repeat, might) provide an insight on the development of technology for teleportation.
Yes, he has made certain mistakes, but they still fail Edison to elevate intellectually compared to Einstein, in my opinion.
The bottom line:
Mother earth could have given birth to an other Edison, but Einstein is unique. [/b]
Also I have the graceful Time magazine to back me up:
[img]http://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-2fae49e7b370ca8924bec4c366a75702-c?convert_to_webp=true[/img]

Comparison is out of it. If you really enjoy physics, you will know the difference. It's not just about reading about their achievement.

No doubt, you are a lover of physics, nice one
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by jhubril(m): 6:59pm On Sep 03, 2016
Most people barely know Nikola Tesla and his genius seems to have gone with the wind. But a quick reminder might start from Electricity to the Strategic Defence Initiative,from Tesla Coil to electrical beams. Radio communication could have been practically impossible and unimaginable without Tesla's invention. Gulliano Macconi,another famous scientist,knew that his straight path to fame and money was to claim credit for Tesla's invention. Smaller geniuses in MIT can't resist but take a great deal from Tesla's genius.

Eistein was once asked to name the greatest scientist he knew,guess what ,Tesla's name was on his lips.

Tesla once tried to disprove Eistein scientific theorising(as Relativity first appeared)and poured out his heart by cautioning that EISTEIN was taken as an INTELLECTUAL in the wrong direction.

Tesla worked and locked horns with some of the greatest scientists . He came out with the most shining reputation for daring inventions and innovations.

Genius of the first magnitude !
Electrical Wizard of all times !
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by benji93: 7:05pm On Sep 03, 2016
MightySparrow:
Einstein wasn't an inventor but a pure scientist. However his atomic bomb which was suggested to Roosevelt ended the II world war and still holds nations today to balance threat among themselves.
He was not part of of the manhattan project team, purposely set up to develop the atomic bomb,due to his pacific ideologies, his major contribution was his determination of the energy-mass equivalence, indicative of the destructive power of the atomic bomb, but notably he was also one of the foremost scientist tht prompted rosevolt to commission the project, before the germans.

1 Like

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by benji93: 7:07pm On Sep 03, 2016
Nairadays:

Read my beginning sentence and closing sentence very well sir, it'll give you a picture of where i stand.

I can never list the Atomic Bomb as a positive invention.

In such an argument, the Atomic Bomb is minus, meaning that though Einstein was a genius with numerous achievements, but the Atomic Bomb development alone discredits his entire achievements or whatever we want to call it. The Atomic Bomb alone is a threat to humanity.

So I'll go with Edison on this one.
tht was why he was not part of the project team that developed the atomic bomb.
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Sep 03, 2016
tdayof:
Nice question you asked him. Your smart phone. Your eyeballs. Digital cameras. Definitely the little Flash cards used to store all your camera's photos and your phone's apps. But seriously, every transistor is a quantum mechanical device. As is any device, your eyeballs included, that can convert a stream of photons into an electrical signal.

Ah, excellent choice monsieur, excellente.

The eyeball thingy is more theoretical and can be done without but when its all said and done,

you need Edisons current to power "your smartphone".
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Sep 03, 2016
jhubril:
Most people barely know Nikola Tesla and his genius seems to have gone with the wind. But a quick reminder might start from Electricity to the Strategic Defence Initiative,from Tesla Coil to electrical beams. Radio communication could have been practically impossible and unimaginable without Tesla's invention. Gulliano Macconi,another famous scientist,knew that his straight path to fame and money was to claim credit for Tesla's invention. Smaller geniuses in MIT can't resist but take a great deal from Tesla's genius.

Eistein was once asked to name the greatest scientist he knew,guess what ,Tesla's name was on his lips.

Tesla once tried to disprove Eistein scientific theorising(as Relativity first appeared)and poured out his heart by cautioning that EISTEIN was taken as an INTELLECTUAL in the wrong direction.

Tesla worked and locked horns with some of the greatest scientists . He came out with the most shining reputation for daring inventions and innovations.

Genius of the first magnitude !
Electrical Wizard of all times !

Yes yes whatever, he had an incredible IQ but at the end of the day, he died broke and many of his works stolen.

Idiot he was. There's only soo much your brain can get you if you aren't Street smart.
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by olaideslex(m): 8:00pm On Sep 03, 2016
None
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Cmeo(m): 8:37pm On Sep 03, 2016
Einstein was awarded the genius of the man of the century and also the greatest man of the century. Tesla and Einstein praises was not much song like Edison becos they were immigrant to the USA. Their greatest would have been song more than this if they were born in USA.

Meanwhile, Einstein work contributed more to the world than Edison. I enjoin people to read about Einstein. and how to america honoured him despite being an immigrant self.
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Sep 03, 2016
martineinstein:
thomas edison for present technology;einstein for future tech:

edision's contributions are more useful presently,while einstein's contribution will be very useful in future.

Edision remains the greatest,most relentless,most hardworking and most impactful inventor ever.

Thomas contributions/handiworks are seen in almost all appliances u use at home
Edison the greates what? Guy you well? He stole tesla's invention. Einstein the greatest of all time.. Comparing edison to einstein is an insult. You know what time and space help us know? It helped us understand how the universe works. Photcell? Brought out the idea through 'thinking', thinking?.. How do pple go to moon? Through his law.. What about his famous formula E=MC^2 that was used in the invention of Atomic bomb? Einstein was so intelligent that when he died his brain was stolen! Have you ever asked yourself about the synonyms of Genius? Its Einstein!

1 Like

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:04pm On Sep 03, 2016
Not sure the point of this comparison. You're comparing a theoretical physicist and an inventor. I'm sure scientific theory aids inventions just as inventions (microscopes, telescopes, etc) aid the understanding of scientific phenomena. It's like comparing Muhammad Ali to Michael Jordan. Or comparing Shakepeare with Mozart.

Edison might not even be the greatest inventor ever. He also depended a lot on the work of his underlings. Just as Einstein might not be the greatest physicist ever. Sir Isaac Newton might be the most influential scientist of all time. Some of his work may have eventually been disproven by quantum physics, but in the words of Einstein, he was the giant on whose shoulders he rode to discovery.
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by leofab(f): 10:08pm On Sep 03, 2016
Wingback:

only if you knew? Maybe you should just make use of Google.. And see all he achievements in both science, poet and philosophy...
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by leofab(f): 10:11pm On Sep 03, 2016
mightyhazell:
U wan spoil dis thread with u silly tribalism abi? English sef u no sabi!
keep quiet, assimilate the message and discard the typos.. Only if you know what I mean.. iTK
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by benzion72(m): 10:22pm On Sep 03, 2016
There are no basis for comparison. Albert is a physicist while Thomas is an inventor. They each excel in thier calling. Much more than incandescent light, Thomas gave us the gramophone, he perfected the telegraph. While Einstein gave us the theory of relativity among other
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by mightyhazell: 10:51pm On Sep 03, 2016
leofab:
keep quiet, assimilate the message and discard the typos.. Only if you know what I mean.. iTK
there is no meaningful msg I saw in ur post,xcept bigotry. U shd knw wen not to stick out ur hopeless bigotry, esp wen intelligent discussions are in progress

1 Like

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by ihitenansa: 11:06pm On Sep 03, 2016
X
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Nairadays: 11:22pm On Sep 03, 2016
benji93:

tht was why he was not part of the project team that developed the atomic bomb.

You're right, he wasn't part of the manhattan project, but his relativity theory of e=mc2 helped further it's creation.
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by omotoshogyro: 11:43pm On Sep 03, 2016
Einstein is still the best for now just because of his theory of relativity
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by benji93: 1:44am On Sep 04, 2016
Nairadays:

You're right, he wasn't part of the manhattan project, but his relativity theory of e=mc2 helped further it's creation.
yes, but that equation is not related to relativity, it is the equation that defines energy-mass equivalence

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

ECO TECH JUMIA Fuelless Generator — Tell Me If This Thing Is A Scam [PICTURE] / Nigerian Man Rejoices As He Captures A Very Big Owl In His Home (Pics/Video) / Complete Skeleton Of Duelling Dinosaurs From 67 million Years Ago Revealed (Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.