Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,446 members, 7,823,041 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:17 PM

My Father Was Jailed For Refusing To Send Me To School – Atiku - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Father Was Jailed For Refusing To Send Me To School – Atiku (401 Views)

I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari / How Awolowo Was Jailed By Yorubas And Northerners / Suhaila Ibrahim-El-Zakzaky: How My Father Was Arrested (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Father Was Jailed For Refusing To Send Me To School – Atiku by timosky1(m): 11:32am On Sep 03, 2016
Former vice president, Atiku Abubakar, has attributed all his achievements and successes so far to education. Speaking at the Ford Foundation Special Reunion to mark the 80th Anniversary of Ford Foundation in Lagos, the former vice president revealed how his father was imprisoned by local authorities in Adamawa state for refusing to send him to school.

He said his father tried to stop him from getting formal education because he needed his help in the farm, Leadership ................................................According to him, he would not have been allowed to go to school if the government had not forced his father, adding that could not have acquired an education if his parents were required to pay for it. Atiku said: “My encounter with Peace Corps teachers in the 1960s had a profound impact on my life. It helped to instill in me the virtues of hard work, critical thinking, and commitment to excellence.

The teachers encouraged us to develop a ‘can-do’ spirit and never to despair in order to bring out the best in us to enable us to succeed in life. In my young eyes those Peace Corpers represented excellence.

They instilled in me a burning desire to look to a wider horizon to have a global outlook. “So, my encounter with the Peace Corps changed my life and education is responsible for the modest success I have achieved thus far. Because of the education I received which was paid for by the Northern Regional Government and local authorities, I was able to rise from a small village in Adamawa to the topmost level of the Nigeria Customs Service.”.................................He noted that his exposure to education taught him how to begin saving and investment at a very early stage in his career. The former vice president maintained that education should be free, accessible and compulsory at the primary and secondary levels. He said this would give every child an opportunity to acquire education irrespective of family circumstances.
Re: My Father Was Jailed For Refusing To Send Me To School – Atiku by timosky1(m): 11:32am On Sep 03, 2016
Re: My Father Was Jailed For Refusing To Send Me To School – Atiku by powerfulsettingz: 11:33am On Sep 03, 2016
If i hear
Re: My Father Was Jailed For Refusing To Send Me To School – Atiku by otabuko(m): 11:37am On Sep 03, 2016
Gerara hia mehn, how many have you sent to school to pay back...

(1) (Reply)

See Nigeria ICT Minister & Kenya ICT Minister - How Can ICT Strive In Nigeria / Oshiomhole Asks Journalists To Be Impartial In Reporting / How Exactly Does Prayers Help People Out Of Problems After Having Solutions At H

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.