Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,871 members, 7,802,805 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:03 PM

I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari (26372 Views)

Sani Abacha Trying His Hand On A Pistol In 1984 (Throwback Photo) / Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 / Shehu Shagari Having Meeting With Buhari In 1983 Before He Was Overthrown (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by OKDnigeria: 11:26am On Dec 31, 2016
President Muhammadu Buhari has restated his resolve not to devalue the naira or increase the price of fuel.

He made this known in Abuja on Friday night, during the 2016 regimental dinner organized by the presidential brigade of guards.

Buhari also suggested that his refusal to devalue the naira and increase fuel price during his time as Military Head of State in 1984-1985, led to his overthrow.

“I have resisted the devaluation of the naira, increase of the petroleum products, among others,” he told the soldiers and officers.

“When I was military head of state, I rejected similar advice by the IMF and World Bank to devalue the naira.

“I refused and gave my reasons and the next thing I knew I was removed and detained for three and half years.

“As a civilian president, I will do my best and I’m telling you all these because you are part of the leadership of this great country and God willing we will remain great.”

When Buhari assumed office in May 2015, the exchange rate was N197/$1. It currently stands at over N300 to $1 officially and N495/$1 in the black market.

http://dailypost.ng/2016/12/31/overthrown-1984-devaluing-naira-buhari/

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by softMarket(m): 11:36am On Dec 31, 2016
U need to be overthrowen again!

205 Likes 12 Shares

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by OKDnigeria: 11:50am On Dec 31, 2016
OKDnigeria:
When Buhari assumed office in May 2015, the exchange rate was N197/$1. It currently stands at over [b]N300 to $1 officially [/b]and N495/$1 in the black market.
http://dailypost.ng/2016/12/31/overthrown-1984-devaluing-naira-buhari/

Please who "officially" devalued our Naira since the president said it wasn't him.
He also resisted increase in petroleum products. But we know petrol is now N145, up from N87.
So who authorized all these while the president was resisting them?

151 Likes 14 Shares

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by malele(m): 11:54am On Dec 31, 2016
When a fool speaks

126 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by three: 12:04pm On Dec 31, 2016
No Sir

You were overthrown for introducing draconian policies, economic hardship and human rights violations.

You truncated a corrupt civilian government only to create an avenue for an even more corrupt one to come to the fore

You hounded corrupt politicians while taking care of 53 suitcases

it is therefor no wonder that contrary to your claim of 'purity' (aided by your gaunt physique) you were able to send 6 of 8 children abroad to school hence your inability to make public your asset declaration as promised by yourself

You are #CleanSweepBuhari a la Jeffrey Archer

ERONX:
Below are brief profiles of
President Buhari’s children, focusing more on schools they attended.
The details are as provided in “Muhammadu Buhari: The Challenges of Leadership in Nigeria” written by American professor, John Paden.

“All of President Buhari’s children have had extensive education,” the book said.

“Several have studied at university and postgraduate levels, including abroad.”

1) Fatima: Born March 7, 1975. Education: Airforce Primary School, Victoria Island, Lagos; Government College, Kaduna; Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria; postgraduate degree, Business Academy, Stratford, United Kingdom.

2) Nana-Hadiza: Born June 23, 1981. Education: Essence International School; Cobham Hall, Kent, United Kingdom; University of Buckingham;
Postgraduate, National Teachers Institute, Kaduna; Masters in International Affairs and Strategic Studies, Polytechnic Kaduna.

3) Safinatu: Born October 13, 1983. Education: Essence International School; Cobham Hall, Kent, United Kingdom; University of Plymouth,
United Kingdom; presently at Arden University, United Kingdom

4) Halima: Born October 8, 1990. Education: International School, Kaduna; British School of Lome; Bellerby’s College, Brighton, United Kingdom; University of Leicester, United Kingdom, Nigeria Law School, Lagos.

5) Yusuf: Born April 23. Education: Kaduna International School; British School of Lome; Bellerby’s College, Brighton, United Kingdom; University of Surrey, United Kingdom.

6) Zahra: Born December 18, 1994. Education: Kaduna International School; British School of Lome; Bellerby’s College, Brighton, United Kingdom; University of Surrey, United Kingdom

7) Aisha (Hanan): Born August 30, 1998. Education: Kaduna International School.

8 ) Noor (Amina): Born September 14, 2004. Education: Kaduna International School.

(Note : In November 2012, Mr. Buhari’s first daughter, Zulaihat Junaid, died of sickle cell anemia after giving birth.

Earlier, one boy – Musa- died in infancy from sickle cell anemia.)

98 Likes 9 Shares

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by idupaul: 12:08pm On Dec 31, 2016
This man is clearly a lunatic living in fantasia..Does this guy realise that the Naira now trades at 500 to a single dollar ,does he realise that Nigerians now pay 145 a litre for fuel when he met it at 87 just a year ago , does he realise we pay 50 percent more for electricity than we did a year ago .. what the hell is he saying that he won't the devalue the naira when the naira is already the worst performing currency in the world under his lunacy

113 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by Warhawk(m): 12:33pm On Dec 31, 2016
Why did they just imprison you that 1st time?? They coulda Killed you and saved us from our present suffering!!

97 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by sholatech(m): 12:40pm On Dec 31, 2016
Oh President Buhari..You still do not know?

Anytime you say publicly you will not devalue the Naira..The parallel market goes on spikes and it gets devalued on the streets where most businesses now get their dollars;

You keep enriching the few that can obtain forex from CBN at your 'Im not Devaluing artificial rate';

You keep widening incomes of those with such arbitrage privileges..

You can try again using DSS or a special military force..it can only get worse..

How did we even get here??

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by lytech1(m): 1:14pm On Dec 31, 2016
The same way you will be sent to hell for not founding lasting solution to our economy problem

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by Maxymilliano(m): 1:19pm On Dec 31, 2016
No sir. You were ousted because of naivety. Policy and politcs are siamesis twins. You can't play one at the expense of the other. It is that same naivety that propell Saraki to power. And what was PMB's response,? History are for us to learn from.

Thank your star that military rule is no more in vogues, by now your second coming would have become history.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by talktimi(m): 1:20pm On Dec 31, 2016
No sir, you were overthrown in the 80's for being a tribal/religious bigot, destroying the nations economy thereby plunging it into a recession and also being an inept leader. Things which you still continue to do even now as a civilian despot cool

72 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by omohayek: 1:32pm On Dec 31, 2016
It really says something about Buhari's intellectual limitations that even at this late stage, after an entire year of avoidable hardship, he still clings to this economically illiterate nonsense! How stupid do you have to be to not understand that the only effect of dictating prices is to cause shortages?

Cry the beloved country. I just don't see how Nigerians will make it to 2019 under the rule of an economic illiterate who thinks he can make 1 + 1 = 3 simply by giving an order; he is the African equivalent of Nicholas Maduro.

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by plaetton: 2:50pm On Dec 31, 2016
three:
No Sir

You were overthrown for introducing draconian policies, economic hardship and human rights violations.

You truncated a corrupt civilian government only to create an avenue for an even more corrupt one to come to the fore

You hounded corrupt politicians while taking care of 53 suitcases

it is therefor no wonder that contrary to your claim of 'purity' (aided by your gaunt physique) you were able to send 6 of 8 children abroad to school hence your inability to make public your asset declaration as promised by yourself

You are #CleanSweepBuhari a la Jeffrey Archer

Just imagine the sheer arrogance of that dumb ass.

" I was overthrown".

Who the fxxx elected you to be head of state in the first place ?

Aren't you guilty of treason ?
Have you been held accountable for your treason and the trajectory of unending disasters it put this country through ?

53 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by Sweetguy25: 2:53pm On Dec 31, 2016
Anybody who voted for this bastard in 2015 is a bastard himself

57 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by freeze001(f): 3:02pm On Dec 31, 2016
Why does he keep sounding like he was hurt or some grave offence was committed against him? Did he not plan and execute a coup against a civilian government? He couldn't withstand his fellow military brethren that threw him out and all of them remain d demons that plague Nigeria today. He should have been summarily executed or disabled so we wouldn't be forced to cope with his brand of corruption and stupidity again!

That stupid Junaid is blaming Emefiele, is it not obvious that the CBN Governor is not independent and must accept the overriding yet ignorant position of the illiterate in office?

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by udumosam23(m): 3:04pm On Dec 31, 2016
Pls can a more reasonable person present himself to be doing the talking for this man. I've said it before he doesn't have the right words to convey his thoughts and drive home his message.

He should only be reading written speeches.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by ademusiwa2r: 3:04pm On Dec 31, 2016
Y
Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by sammyj: 3:36pm On Dec 31, 2016
Then was when you still have integrity and why do you have to kill the Naira now Mr President undecided!!!!

4 Likes

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by Nobody: 4:00pm On Dec 31, 2016
So he ruled for only 1 year.? undecided

Is he confessing to having had "outside help" in his coup?

2 Likes

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by OnucheAdams: 4:01pm On Dec 31, 2016
Well he is finishing 2016 with a Bang - Big Dullard!

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by Nobody: 4:09pm On Dec 31, 2016
The price of fuel would be much lower if the Federal Government drops the policy of destroying 'illegal' refineries in the South East/South South and instead legalizes them.

Those entrepreneurs can solve the fuel issue and make Buhari more popular than he is now.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by narrowpathy(m): 5:37pm On Dec 31, 2016
As a musician I won't post bad things about this government. I wanna do show in Aso rock next year biko grin

8 Likes

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by uboma(m): 3:55am On Jan 02, 2017
freeze001:
Why does he keep sounding like he was hurt or some grave offence was committed against him? Did he not plan and execute a coup against a civilian government? He couldn't withstand his fellow military brethren that threw him out and all of them remain d demons that plague Nigeria today. He should have been summarily executed or disabled so we wouldn't be forced to cope with his brand of corruption and stupidity again!

That stupid Junaid is blaming Emefiele, is it not obvious that the CBN Governor is not independent and must accept the overriding yet ignorant position of the illiterate in office?

PMB was and is still deeply pained for his forceful removal from office back then. This is the reason he made several attempts to return to power till he finally got it by 'whatever means necessary'. PMB only wants to be on history that he ruled this great country, Nigeria. How he rules the country is of no importance to him. No wonder the economy is getting worse by the day. PMB has failed to heed sound economic and political advice from his wife, friends and others who truly want him to succeed.

And for Emefiele, he deserves the ridicule and insults coming his way. Being an expert in his field, why remain in office when the govt of the day have your hands tied. Is anyone pointing a gun to his head to remain in office by all means? I expected him to have honourably resigned long before now so it will recorded on history that he resigned because he wasn't allowed to perform professionally as the Governor of the CBN. Until then, Emefiele will continue to be ridiculed and seen as an ally to those who plan on bringing this great country Nigeria to its lowest ebbs.

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by Boleyndynasty2(f): 5:21am On Jan 02, 2017
So his doing the opposite of 1984 abi 1985 and yet nothing is really working out right cry undecided

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by orisa37: 5:31am On Jan 02, 2017
Now that all Oil Subsidies have been stopped, bring prices of Premium and Diesel down to N100 per litre. Put Security at the Borders of Niger and Chad to stop smuggling of oil out of Nigeria. CBN should import Dollar Earnings @ N150:$1 export, that is, sell from Banks @ N155:$1 and from BDCs @N160:$1. CBN should invite Treasury Bills @4.5% and reinvest through BOI and Commercial Banks @ 5%. Enough of vindictive politics, corruption and bad policies. Replace Emefiele with Adeosun and plead with Eweala to come back to Finance.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by sinistermind(m): 6:25am On Jan 02, 2017
This man though, we have entered one chance. We're definitely facing the same situation as 1984. If the president didn't see he was running the country aground with his polices and lack of economic direction and blames his removal on external powers. It's right to say he sees nothing wrong with his current actions that's bringing untold hardship on the masses.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by Janetessy(f): 7:45am On Jan 02, 2017
Akuko

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by eleojo23: 7:45am On Jan 02, 2017
Another nonsense talk from Buhari again

Mtchew...! angry

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by SuperSuave(m): 7:46am On Jan 02, 2017
Grand comedian of the federal republic of Nigeria, that's what buhari is

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by Africonji: 7:46am On Jan 02, 2017
Just like then he may likely be overthrown again. Amen.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari by nextprince: 7:47am On Jan 02, 2017
God bless The President and C-in-C

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Clash Between Yoruba And Hausas' In Yaba. -true? / Buba Galadima: We Have Proof Atiku Won The Presidential Election / Edo 2020: Obaseki, Ize- Iyamu To Battle For APC Ticket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.