Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,087 members, 7,852,685 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 12:09 AM

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) - Foreign Affairs (1838) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) (6271778 Views)

Am I The Only One Whos Tired Of This Kenya Is Ahead Thread / Femi Adesina: "I Don't Lie, No Matter What"; Nigerians React / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1835) (1836) (1837) (1838) (1839) (1840) (1841) ... (9933) (Go Down)

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jun 05, 2018
rvp20182:
I guess it cultural thing..but most kenyans will judge your based on the English your speak. Of course unlike say Nigerian or Ghanians or Ugandan---we don't like speaking English - we have uniting language in Kiswahili - which everyone can communicate in - and we only speak English officially - and we try to speak it right. Otherwise we either speak Kiswahili or Sheng (mix of swahili+english+african languages).

I wish your had your own Kiswahili - and you won't have to bastardize English. Unfortunately when you start saying Ozzband for husband - nobody will take you seriously in Kenya. They will try to muffle a laughter out of politeness.

I think Nigerians dont have the habit of mocking 'shrubbing' when they are young, so people grow up speaking English the way they speak their mother tongue. Though to be honest that theory of mine still cant explain why Nigerians speak the same way when they have different mother tongues.

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by rvp20182: 9:06pm On Jun 05, 2018
You're still talking about Wole Soyinka Nobel prize till now - Kenya's Ngugi has come very close to winning it. You got one Nobel prize. We have one Nobel Prize. Give it up.
naijalander:
Sigh...and yet a Nigerian won a nobel prize in literature.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by rvp20182: 9:07pm On Jun 05, 2018
They don't know better - because like many countries that were British protectorate - as opposed to colonies - there was very little if any British influence - however because they don't have unifying national language like kiswahili - English became that Language - a very bad version of English.
TayserMahiri:

I think Nigerians dont have the habit of mocking 'shrubbing' when they are young, so people grow up speaking English the way they speak their mother tongue. Though to be honest that theory of mine still cant explain why Nigerians speak the same way when the have different mother tongues.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jun 05, 2018
naijalander:
Abeg your Rugby team are a bunch of fat cowardly rapists and you know it, give us a break. Those Luo boys that pounce around Langata feeling like they have mind but are just a bunch of sissies, Kikuyu boys are even smarter sef. Just just just go...

Don't think you know my countries Rugby team very well.....let me introduce you:

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jun 05, 2018
NairobiWalker:

This will make Nowenuse cry..................he's obsessed with light skin and wants everyone to think Nigerians are very light skinned. lol.

When we know Kenyans are on average more lightskinned than Nigerians. Now this one will make him weep !
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by NairobiWalker(m): 9:15pm On Jun 05, 2018
naijalander:
Abeg your Rugby team are a bunch of fat cowardly rapists and you know it, give us a break. Those Luo boys that pounce around Langata feeling like they have mind but are just a bunch of sissies, Kikuyu boys are even smarter sef. Just just just go...

Naijalander, so these guys are fat?

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jun 05, 2018
rvp20182:
They don't know better - because like many countries that were British protectorate - as opposed to colonies - there was very little if any British influence - however because they don't have unifying national language like kiswahili - English became that Language - a very bad version of English.

Im sure you mean settler colony. Nigerians were a colony as well, only that the weather there was too hostile for the British.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jun 05, 2018
NairobiWalker:

Naijalander, so these guys are fat?

Oscar's surname in Afrikaans means Grandma grin always find it funny when i hear the commentators pronounce his surname!
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jun 05, 2018
naijalander:

This is actually very racist by Kenyan standards cheesy
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Jay254(m): 9:21pm On Jun 05, 2018
I see Nigerians shouting here Kenyans are obsessed with whites.. Mmmmhh Just check any video on Utube of a wgite person in most part of Lagos especially the lower middle and the poor areas. A white person literary stops everything. While thesame can be said to Kenya, not even in Kibera where they flood in numbers.

2 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by rvp20182: 9:26pm On Jun 05, 2018
I think Nigeria like Uganda was more a protectorate - they had kings - whom British defaulted to - and British ruled them indirectly thro those kings.

Googling - it appears LAGOS was a colony, South Nigeria a protectorate and Northern Nigeria was also a protectorate - all were later merged to from - Colony and Protectorate of Nigeria.

That explain why Lagos is more developed - and rest of Nigerian are still shitty and ruled by those Kings.

TayserMahiri:

Im sure you mean settler colony. Nigerians were a colony as well, only that the weather there was too hostile for the British.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jun 05, 2018
jln115:

Don't think you know my countries Rugby team very well.....let me introduce you:

naijalander thinks you're Luo, lol

These days your boys are really getting beat by Fiji
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by kikuyu1(m): 9:34pm On Jun 05, 2018
rvp20182:
Rubbish - please bring serious indicator - not 30 under 30 - by some self-promoting nobodies.

Mfonobong Nsehe, a Nigerian journalist (who schooled in Kenya's Daystar shockedsmiley) who launched Forbes' annual list of 30 under 30 - which is dominated by Nigeria.

Typical Nigeria con-artist - trying to manufacture some shitty list of "achievers" nobody has ever heard of. The same way some Nigerian declare their shitty fashion or music or videos - Africa best - like really - no serious person wants to be found dead in Nigeria African prints as fashion except when they lack something to wrap themselves in some traditional african ceremony or shitty movies or music.

As ever,thanks for verifying the ID of the "researcher". Nuff said!

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jun 05, 2018
TayserMahiri:

naijalander thinks you're Luo, lol

These days your boys are really getting beat by Fiji
yeah.....wasn't a great weekend for SA rugby as a whole.....15s are really sucking these days.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jun 05, 2018
rvp20182:
I think Nigeria like Uganda was more a protectorate - they had kings - whom British defaulted to - and British ruled them indirectly thro those kings.

Googling - it appears LAGOS was a colony, South Nigeria a protectorate and Northern Nigeria was also a protectorate - all were later merged to from - Colony and Protectorate of Nigeria.

That explain why Lagos is more developed - and rest of Nigerian are still shitty and ruled by those Kings.

Something like that smiley

Still, they should be having like 3 or so english accents. Or maybe Lagos has dominated the goings on in Nigeria to the extent everyone from north to south speaks like Lagosians
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jun 05, 2018
jln115:

yeah.....wasn't a great weekend for SA rugby as a whole.....15s are really sucking these days.

What 15s event was ongoing over the weekend? Im not really a 15s guy. Was talking about the London 7s final.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by NairobiWalker(m): 9:47pm On Jun 05, 2018
jln115:

Oscar's surname in Afrikaans means Grandma grin always find it funny when i hear the commentators pronounce his surname!
That's funny. lol
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by gallivant: 9:48pm On Jun 05, 2018
Kenyanna:

This thread seriously needs to be removed, its just making things worse for Kenya's reputation. If these so called Kenyans are not trolling but actually serious about what they are saying then they are beyond foolish.
However, I will remind everyone again and again these people are the vocal minority if indeed they are even Kenyan in the 1st place. Please do not judge us Kenyans based on these unforgivable imbeciles.

You are not Kenyan, we have already established that. This passive aggressive trait is Tanzanian.On behalf of all Kenyans, go and seek relevance somewhere else slowpoke.

3 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Obi1kenobi(m): 9:53pm On Jun 05, 2018
TayserMahiri:

I think Nigerians dont have the habit of mocking 'shrubbing' when they are young, so people grow up speaking English the way they speak their mother tongue. Though to be honest that theory of mine still cant explain why Nigerians speak the same way when they have different mother tongues.

That would be because you don't know much about the country. A Kano indigene speaks English very differently from an Ibadan indigene who speaks very differently from an Onitsha indigene. Even if the English is grammatically correct, there is a phonological interference rooted from your mother tongue. At least, among the 3 major tribes, it's easy to identify where one is from just from how they speak English. Of course, if you stay long enough in a very cosmopolitan city like Lagos, you acquire something of a "neutral" accent regardless of what tribe you're originally from. Perhaps, listening to too many Lagosians through Nigerian movies or whatever might give you the impression we all speak alike which is utterly false.

2 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by kikuyu1(m): 9:55pm On Jun 05, 2018
Kenyanna:
The comments by so called Kenyans here are so embarrassing! I never thought I would actually see someone openly admit that they aspire to be white. WTF! Its like some of these "so-called Kenyans" are actually Nigerian trolls who are out to embarrass Kenyans.
Please mods just delete this FCKING thread, I beg you! PLEASE!

Fakeness rules this thread! I was wondering why a newcomer has swallowed Dangoteland kpekus down to the tonsils!!
Gtfoh!

2 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Ttipsy(f): 9:56pm On Jun 05, 2018
nwoke37:
Beautiful Abuja...
better planned city than Nairobi(Kenya's capital)

wow this Abuja pictures you posted are really nice. Nairobi can't help it.
whatever
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jun 05, 2018
[b]6 out of 10 youths in Lagos are cultists – Edgal

Christopher Oji

Commissioner of Police in Lagos State, Mr. Imohimi Edgal, has decried the rising spate of cultism in the state, attributing it to lack of parental care. Edgal, who spoke at a town hall meeting, lamented: “The increase in cultism in the state has reached an alarming stage that we all need to declare a state of emergency on cultism. I asked one of my officers to do in-dept research or investigation on the reasons for increase in cultism among the young ones and it was revealed that six out of 10 children are into cultism. This is not good for the growth of our country. What are their reasons? Investigation revealed that they join for supremacy over others. They join to avoid intimidation by their peers. They join so that they have an edge over girls in their communities.

“Who is to blame? Parents are to blame. It is a shame that we, the parents, have failed woefully. Majority of us are even afraid to talk to our children. We fear to tell them the truth. Some of you keep quiet when you see your children going wrong so that people will not hear you talking to them. Some of you are outrightly afraid of your children and it is shame on you. Some of us don’t sleep at home to monitor what our children are doing. How many times have you paid a surprise visit to your children’s schools and how many times have you checked what is in your children’s rooms and their bags to know what they bring into your house? We arrested some children between 1am and 2am during initiation into cult groups. These children were between the ages of 15 and 20. Tell me how a child of 15 will leave the parent’s house at unholy hours without their parent’s knowledge. Shame on you, if you are such a father. Go back home and take charge of your children as we are losing them to drugs, crime and cultism.

“I want to appeal to parents to understand that our children are the future hope of our country; if we allow them to miss it, we will have no hope and no future leaders to take over from us. What legacy are we leaving behind for our children? The general election is fast approaching, tell your children not to be used to foment trouble by unscrupulous politicians whose children are not even in the country. Don’t let your children be used to cause breach of peace in the country, as anyone caught will be prosecuted. Those who are eligible to vote should go to the polling stations with their PVCs and return home after casting their votes.”

Oba of Igbobi-Sabo Kingdom, HRM Owolabi Adeyemi Adeniyi, said he totally agreed that a state of emergency should be declared on cultism. “I see many of them with tattoos all over their bodies and most of the tattoos are symbols of one secret cult or the other.”

[/b]

http://sunnewsonline.com/6-out-of-10-youths-in-lagos-are-cultists-edgal/
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:05pm On Jun 05, 2018
rvp20182:

Is this a new basis for bragging? Who was a colony and who was a protectorate? Like we give a shiit that the Brits didn't like our weather very much to stay. We are basically a multi-national state, so no we don't have a unifying language considering the very distinct roots of our sub-nations. There was historically nothing in common between Hausas and Igbos for example. One is a Northern Afro-Asiatic language group with historical Arab influences and strong ties with Sahelian groups across West Africa, the other a Niger-Congo hinterland group with not much international trading till the Europeans came. What you're saying works in the Nigerian North where several tribes like the Fulanis speak Hausa. This is because 13 or so states in the North share similar cultures with the Hausas and have long historic contact with them.

Things are far more complicated down South. The roughly co-equal influence of Yorubas and Igbos makes it impossible than any would adopt the language of the other. Even small minority groups of less than a million fiercely assert their independence and refuse to be subsumed into a larger sub-culture. It's a cultural thing. It's neither good nor bad. It's just our way of life and how we roll.

2 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jun 05, 2018
Obi1kenobi:

That would be because you don't know much about the country. A Kano indigene speaks English very differently from an Ibadan indigene who speaks very differently from an Onitsha indigene. Even if the English is grammatically correct, there is a phonological interference rooted from your mother tongue. At least, among the 3 major tribes, it's easy to identify where one is from just from how they speak English. Of course, if you stay long enough in a very cosmopolitan city like Lagos, you acquire something of a "neutral" accent regardless of what tribe you're originally from. Perhaps, listening to too many Lagosians through Nigerian movies or whatever might give you the impression we all speak alike which is utterly false.

Oh I kinda get that. Its similar to Kenya where different tribes speak english in their unique accents. But some things sound uniform at least in all the Nigerians I ever heard, especially the "O" sound. Even the northerners I have heard on international media including the other day when they were destroying brothels have that similar "O" ish phonation. But I got your point.

What we are trying to put across is that Kenyans in general speak english closer to the original spoken language than Nigerians (and I dont mean Kenyans know English more) to the extent that your spoken english sounds like an unfamiliar language. I once asked a friend of mine what language some random guys were speaking and he told me it was English. Turned out they were Nigerians. You can imagine I was left in stitches.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jun 05, 2018
TayserMahiri:

What 15s event was ongoing over the weekend? Im not really a 15s guy. Was talking about the London 7s final.
Springboks lost to Wales Saturday night....plus the London 7s final lose to Fiji=shiitty weekend......well at least the U20s won their world cup pool match against Ireland Sunday!
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jun 05, 2018
Nigeria that can't even support themselves!
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:23pm On Jun 05, 2018
TayserMahiri:

Oh I kinda get that. Its similar to Kenya where different tribes speak english in their unique accents. But some things sound uniform at least in all the Nigerians I ever heard, especially the "O" sound. Even the northerners I have heard on international media including the other day when they were destroying brothels have that similar "O" ish phonation. But I got your point.

What we are trying to put across is that Kenyans in general speak english closer to the original spoken language than Nigerians (and I dont mean Kenyans know English more) to the extent that your spoken english sounds like an unfamiliar language. I once asked a friend of mine what language some random guys were speaking and he told me it was English. Turned out they were Nigerians. You can imagine I was left in stitches.

Perhaps you guys are overly focused on speaking Queens. We aren't. Hell, we developed a widely understood pidgin form that's also popular across anglophone West Africa, as part of our lingua franca. A banker who spends his day speaking Queens English to customers in the banking hall would start rapping pidgin immediately he's with his friends. And don't mock the Nigerian accent. It was rated as the 6th sexiest in the world: grin
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/sexy-accents/index.html

And yeah, a lot of those unique idiosyncrasies in our speaking style is something we pick up from Nigerian pidgin, which we often add even when we're speaking Queens.

Like you may want to say "don't touch me". In pidgin, this is "no touch me o". In the unique Nigerian English, we'd often say something like "don't touch me o" due to that pidgin influence.

3 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by gallivant: 10:25pm On Jun 05, 2018
Obi1kenobi:

Bla bla bla. Speak proper English or desist embarrassing yourselves with this pidgin crap. Wtf is "my broda O"!
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jun 05, 2018
jln115:

Springboks lost to Wales Saturday night....plus the London 7s final lose to Fiji=shiitty weekend......well at least the U20s won their world cup pool match against Ireland Sunday!

Was a narrow loss for the Springboks and even more impressive cos they are the young lads. Congrats to your U20s as well. Maybe you should be impressed by the fact that the future looks bright with your youngies.
Fiji are just on a roll this time round.
Shujaa have been excellent this time round, we hit a century with a series to spare! Though we got the toughest group for the Paris 7s with Fiji, NZ and Samoa.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:28pm On Jun 05, 2018
gallivant:

Bla bla bla. Speak proper English or desist embarrassing yourselves with this pidgin crap. Wtf is "my broda O"!

If you're "embarrassed" by it, we aren't. grin We can speak any language any damn way we please. cool

2 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jun 05, 2018
Obi1kenobi:

Perhaps you guys are overly focused on speaking Queens. We aren't. Hell, we developed a widely understood pidgin form that's also popular across anglophone West Africa, as part of our lingua franca. A banker who spends his day speaking Queens English to customers in the banking hall would start rapping pidgin immediately he's with his friends. And don't mock the Nigerian accent. It was rated as the 6th sexiest in the world: grin
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/sexy-accents/index.html

And yeah, a lot of those unique idiosyncrasies in our speaking style is something we pick up from Nigerian pidgin, which we often add even when we're speaking Queens.

Like you may want to say "don't touch me". In pidgin, this is "no touch me o". In the unique Nigerian English, we'd often say something like "don't touch me o" due to that pidgin influence.

Still cant understand what is sexy about Nigerian accent. There is a Kenyan comedian calls himself Obinna who tries to impress Kenyans with the accent but it just doesnt work and Kenyans find him off putting. And he also adds a lot of childish antics I guess from his presumption on how Nigerians behave.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks!
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:39pm On Jun 05, 2018
TayserMahiri:

Still cant understand what is sexy about Nigerian accent. There is a Kenyan comedian calls himself Obinna who tries to impress Kenyans with the accent but it just doesnt work and Kenyans find him off putting. And he also adds a lot of childish antics I guess from his presumption on how Nigerians behave.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks!

Blame the bad comedian. Has nothing to do with the Nigerian accent. grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1835) (1836) (1837) (1838) (1839) (1840) (1841) ... (9933)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.