Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,832 members, 7,831,700 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) - Foreign Affairs (319) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) (6230099 Views)

Am I The Only One Whos Tired Of This Kenya Is Ahead Thread / Femi Adesina: "I Don't Lie, No Matter What"; Nigerians React / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (316) (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) (322) ... (9933) (Go Down)

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 12:08am On Apr 08, 2017
UncleJJ:

You are wrong. It's one thing to cite a statistic and another to understand it and apply it with the least bias possible.

@TayserMahiri Please follow these calculations for future reference

Total population Nigeria: 182,201,962
Total population Kenya: 46,050,302

Total Nos of banks(thousands) Nigeria: 5.5
Total Nos of banks(thousands) Kenya: 5.7

Total nos of banks is calculated as follows : (number of institutions + number of branches)*100,000/adult population

Now for reality, not statistical misappropriations.

Nigeria: 182,201,962/100,000 = 1822 i.e 1822 groups of 100,000 Nigerian's
Kenya: 46,050,302/100,000 = 460 i.e 460 groups of 100,000 Kenyan's

Total Number of banks:
Nigeria = 22
Kenya = 42 (3 Nigerian)

Bank deposit as % of GDP
Nigeria = 17.9(2014)
Kenya = 36.4 (2014)

GDP
Nigeria: 570B USD (2014), where bank deposits is 92.5B USD i.e 17.9% of Nigeria's GDP
Kenya: 61B USD (2014), where bank deposits are 22.2B USD i.e 36.4% of Kenya's GDP

GDP per capita
Nigeria: 1,098 USD
Kenya: 658.7 USD

[b]It's not the Nos of banks but how much are in it's vaults, [/b]how much profit it can generate, thereby returning taxes, how much it can borrow out to investors and finance and how much flows through it's books, thereby increasing service fees.

Kenya has more bank branches but its banking halls are empty , Nigeria is vice versa. Increasing the nos of branches only increases cost of operation and also increase cost of business to customers as they have to bear the cost.

That was excellent, until you reached at "It's not the Nos of banks but how much are in it's vaults". Kenya has 36.4 % of its money in its vaults, while Nigeria only has 17.9 %. Don't tell me this is why you put the thing as a link? Apart from the absolute terms, which we agree Nigeria has its oil and population going for it, in actual stocks relative to what the economy makes, kenya has double percentage-wise. That actually tells you there is something really wrong with Nigeria, because where is the rest of the money? There aren't many, if any, mega projects we can say the money is going to. Which tells you that the GDP figures are very suspect. Could be the reason you guys are devaluing the naira that much? Because the naira is being forced to do something.

2 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nowenuse: 12:08am On Apr 08, 2017
TayserMahiri:

I don't expect you to agree with statistics that have not been cooked. You are used to cooked Naija statistics. However, true statistics really do exist. Hold your breath.

Estimates from the Finscope surveys suggest that in Africa, the proportion of the population without access to formal financial services ranges from 44 percent in South Africa to 92 percent in Mozambique (see Honohan and King 2012). Nigeria, the most populous country in Africa, lies at the higher end of this scale with 79 percent, approximately four-fifths of the adult population, estimated to be unbanked. At least you have improved a bit since then because as at last year, you were rolling drums at a measly 44 %.

Source: WorldBank, I know you love worldbank and IMF because they agree with your GDP numbers. You either choose to believe this here is a lie, or believe your GDP figure is cooked. You don't cherry pick data.
http://blogs.worldbank.org/allaboutfinance/the-unbanked-four-fifths-informality-and-barriers-to-financial-services-in-nigeria-michael-king-janu

"Out of those, only about 40,000 are active and only about 16 percent of Nigeria’s 44 percent banked population have debit cards. Furthermore, electricity and internet outages in Nigeria make consumers less likely to use cards at places like restaurants and stores."

Hehe,
these things are all intertwined. No electricity >>> poor internet >>> unbanked people >>> people running away

Here is the chart, you will notice poverty was the top reason given by nigerians for being unbanked. You will also notice No Trust as one of the reasons for not being banked. shocked

Why are you posting a link or fact of since 2013 for 2017? Read this link below which showed 53% of Nigerians as banking as of exactly one year ago.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/03/03/report-53-of-nigerians-in-banking-system/

And definitely, expect this to have increase by now.
So, majority of the country's population are in the banking system afterall. So, take your outdates facts elsewhere.

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by MPSA(m): 12:13am On Apr 08, 2017
This is what we call democracy , Thanks to the ANC , And other SA Political parties for your contribution to change SA for the better, Especially our late President Nelson Mandela, and Oliver Tambo,Ahmed Kathrada, Garvin Mbeki, Joe Slovo , Chris Hani, Steve Biko, Thabo Mbeki, Mama Winnie Mandela, President jacob Zuma , Cyril Ramaphosa (Vice President) , Mosiuwa Lekota, and Desmond Tutu, He was at the march today grin

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 12:13am On Apr 08, 2017
UncleJJ:

Increasing the nos of branches only increases cost of operation and also increase cost of business to customers as they have to bear the cost.

This one applies directly to Nigerians bro. They think the more the branches the better but glad you can see its not sensible. I actually know of banks closing branches of late to reduce unnecessary costs here.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by HarryDuce(m): 12:18am On Apr 08, 2017
A lot of my nigerian brothers probably dont get the purpose for this thread and if they do, they're doing a poor job comprehending. Our country is passing through difficulties, yes, an we will overcome... hopefully. From the comments on this thread, my nigerian keyboard warrior brothers seem to promote mediocrity. Maybe you realise or maybe you do not but fighting on nairaland does nothing to alieviate our problems.

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 12:20am On Apr 08, 2017
Nowenuse:

Why are you posting a link or fact of since 2013 for 2017? Read this link below which showed 53% of Nigerians as banking as of exactly one year ago.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/03/03/report-53-of-nigerians-in-banking-system/

And definitely, expect this to have increase by now.
So, majority of the country's population are in the banking system afterall. So, take your outdates facts elsewhere.

No disrespect for your source but it wouldn't hold water anywhere. Ericsson is a private company, who knows what they were up to?
Nonetheless, 53 % is still paltry for the giant. Kenya was at 75 % when you guys were at 44 %. And you saw the trend. If you guys were at 53 % last year, we must have been at 85 % then. And then have increased since last year.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nowenuse: 12:21am On Apr 08, 2017
iblawi:

Why don't you spend time looking for failures of Kenya instead of Nigeria. I believe your problem in kenya is more than that of Nigeria. Nairobi has about 3 million people living in it and UN still claim 1.2 of them are slum dwellers and it still doesn't disturb you. Now am beginning to wonder if it's the effect of Nigeria's influence that is disturbing you guys.

Look, despite our population we still have 1 of the fastest Internet speed in Africa so your source is a big lie. Unbanked people! This is serious o? You claim no electricity but Nigerian still have more industries than you do. So how do the they power their equipments? How many times do we have to educate you that generators, solar, etc are also sources of power?

The funny part of the whole thing is that your source is almost a decade old. This makes me wonder if you guys are trained on how to carry out research.

I just tire for this people o. They spend day and nights searching for Nigeria's faults and weakpoints. I just can't believe that some Africans are this stupid.
Half of the people of their capital city Nairobi live in slums unfit for even pigs to the extent that their slums have been attracting all manners of foreign aids and humanitarian groups and that does not bother them, what disturbs them is Nigeria's issue.

Do u know that till now they guy cannot provide the list of the 47 so called kenyan counties and their administrative capital cities (and their populations) which he compared with Nigeria's 36 states? I am now wondering the kind of individuals we are wasting our time with here.

@TayserMahiri, i am still waiting for you! Are you telling me that you dont know about Kenya at all or is there a problem?
Am i wrong for asking you to give me the list of the 47 Kenyan counties and their administrative capital cities? I want to know more about Kenyan cities. I want to learn about the 47 administrative cities of Kenyan counties!!! If you cannot provide this, then i really don't know what me or other people viewing this thread will label you!
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 12:23am On Apr 08, 2017
MPSA:
This is what we call democracy , Thanks to the ANC , And other SA Political parties for your contribution to change SA for the better, Especially our late President Nelson Mandela, and Oliver Tambo,Ahmed Kathrada, Garvin Mbeki, Joe Slovo , Chris Hani, Steve Biko, Thabo Mbeki, Mama Winnie Mandela, President jacob Zuma , Cyril Ramaphosa (Vice President) , Mosiuwa Lekota, and Desmond Tutu, He was at the march today grin

Which side is Desmond Tutu?
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by MPSA(m): 12:33am On Apr 08, 2017
TayserMahiri:

Which side is Desmond Tutu?

He is against the bad management of government like other protesters, He isn't the politician

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nowenuse: 12:36am On Apr 08, 2017
TayserMahiri:

No disrespect for your source but it wouldn't hold water anywhere. Ericsson is a private company, who knows what they were up to?
Nonetheless, 53 % is still paltry for the giant. Kenya was at 75 % when you guys were at 44 %. And you saw the trend. If you guys were at 53 % last year, we must have been at 85 % then. And then have increased since last year.

http://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/business/Kenya-tops-list-of-banked-population/2560-2697138-jh9o4iz/index.html

Kenya just has a high banked population because of the introduction of the mobile money Mpesa. This gave you guys an advantage only to brag with mouths of a high percentage and nothing more. This has destroyed the power of your banking institutions, no wonder your banking sector is absolute trash and nothing to reckon with on the continent.

Nigerians on the other hand who do not have or even want to have the so called mobile money Mpesa. We are ok with our advanced and powerful banking sector which is worth so much and has created so much for our citizens as a large continent dominating industry.

The same industry also offers us mobile banking and more with many options to choose from unlike in Kenya where Mpesa is all they have and they have no choice but to follow whatever Mpesa offers! What a terribly rigid structure.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 12:41am On Apr 08, 2017
Nowenuse:

I just tire for this people o. They spend day and nights searching for Nigeria's faults and weakpoints. I just can't believe that some Africans are this stupid.
Half of the people of their capital city Nairobi live in slums unfit for even pigs to the extent that their slums have been attracting all manners of foreign aids and humanitarian groups and that does not bother them, what disturbs them is Nigeria's issue.

Do u know that till now they guy cannot provide the list of the 47 so called kenyan counties and their administrative capital cities (and their populations) which he compared with Nigeria's 36 states? I am now wondering the kind of individuals we are wasting our time with here.

@TayserMahiri, i am still waiting for you! Are you telling me that you dont know about Kenya at all or is there a problem?
Am i wrong for asking you to give me the list of the 47 Kenyan counties and their administrative capital cities? I want to know more about Kenyan cities. I want to learn about the 47 administrative cities of Kenyan counties!!! If you cannot provide this, then i really don't know what me or other people viewing this thread will label you!

My brother/ sister/ whatever, a smart (smarter than you) Nigerian said this a while ago "A lot of my nigerian brothers probably dont get the purpose for this thread and if they do, they're doing a poor job comprehending"

That is how you failed your exams in school, by not understanding the question and then going ahead to respond. Then you end up giving very irrelevant responses. You can google the list of counties and their cities. The counties are only 4 and a half years old, that's how long they've had to build their capitals. You can start a new thread on State/ County capitals and cities and we will compare them. And you sound very childish/ not quite smart, I hope you are of the right age to be here.

Just to educate you a bit on how an argument goes. A claim is made, e.g kenya is better than nigeria. Those who agree provide evidence for why kenya is better, and those who don't provide evidence that kenya is either equal, or nigeria is better. I expected you to provide evidence for why nigeria is better but how sad! All you did was say a lot of nothing, obviously because the premise of the thread was right. What you want now is to see the kenyan cities because you think the naija high population will go for you with population-wise bigger cities. What a baby. Can you provide evidence for Nigeria? Kenya is for kenyans to support.

3 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nowenuse: 12:47am On Apr 08, 2017
iblawi:

So you expect me to give you that statistics but can't tell me how many of your banks have up to 100 branches in kenya.

Most of them have about 33 branches and 90 ATMs in the whole Kenya. The highest have just above 100 branches but you compare your banks with banks that have over 750 branches.

WAKA, God punish you for the unnecessary stress you made me go through.

The Waka part got me rotf. grin grin. Waka trutru fit the guy.

The Kenyans have succesfully destroyed the power of their banking industries with their so called Mpesa.
Now, that we have the biggest and most powerful banking industry on the continent with so much wealth and worth, they are hating on us. These people really have serious issues.

Our banking industry has created employment for hundreds of thousand Nigerians with so much wealth to the extent that we have produced 2 African billionaires through the industry. I wonder how much their Mpesa has added to their economy. Tomorrow they will claim our GDP is false.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 12:51am On Apr 08, 2017
Nowenuse:

http://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/business/Kenya-tops-list-of-banked-population/2560-2697138-jh9o4iz/index.html

Kenya just has a high banked population because of the introduction of the mobile money Mpesa. This gave you guys an advantage only to brag with mouths of a high percentage and nothing more. This has destroyed the power of your banking institutions, no wonder your banking sector is absolute trash and nothing to reckon with on the continent.

Nigerians on the other hand who do not have or even want to have the so called mobile money Mpesa. We are ok with our advanced and powerful banking sector which is worth so much and has created so much for our citizens as a large continent dominating industry.

The same industry also offers us mobile banking and more with many options to choose from unlike in Kenya where Mpesa is all they have and they have no choice but to follow whatever Mpesa offers! What a terribly rigid structure.

Just before I leave you guys for your laziness, this is a partial list of mobile money providers in kenya. Nigeria can only dream of such.
1. Safaricom
2. Airtel Money
3. Orange Money
4. Equity Bank
5. Paynet Group
6. Musoni
7. Essar yuCash
8. MobiKash
9. Tangaza
10. Jipange KuSave
11. KrossPay
12. JamboPay
13. Lipuka
14. PesaPal
15. iPay
16. M-Payer
17. Moca
18. KeleleMobile
19. PewaHewa

and many more. More than NIgeria can dream of. That M-Pesa is the most popular around the world is no more meaningful than that Zenith Bank is the most popular outside nigeria. But I don't blame your ignorance, aggravated by laziness.

3 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nowenuse: 12:54am On Apr 08, 2017
TayserMahiri:

My brother/ sister/ whatever, a smart (smarter than you) Nigerian said this a while ago "A lot of my nigerian brothers probably dont get the purpose for this thread and if they do, they're doing a poor job comprehending"

That is how you failed your exams in school, by not understanding the question and then going ahead to respond. Then you end up giving very irrelevant responses. You can google the list of counties and their cities. The counties are only 4 and a half years old, that's how long they've had to build their capitals. You can start a new thread on State/ County capitals and cities and we will compare them. And you sound very childish/ not quite smart, I hope you are of the right age to be here.

Just to educate you a bit on how an argument goes. A claim is made, e.g kenya is better than nigeria. Those who agree provide evidence for why kenya is better, and those who don't provide evidence that kenya is either equal, or nigeria is better. I expected you to provide evidence for why nigeria is better but how sad! All you did was say a lot of nothing, obviously because the premise of the thread was right. What you want now is to see the kenyan cities because you think the naija high population will go for you with population-wise bigger cities. What a baby. Can you provide evidence for Nigeria? Kenya is for kenyans to support.

So, why did it take you so long to admit that your counties are just 4 years old? What a shame! After dodging the question for so long. I think you are very immature, and you have been comparing them with Nigerian states which have started since 1967.

This is why Kenya just has only 2 cities while Nigeria has about 50 cities which are all working hard to build themselves (develop) at the same pace.

Tomorrow now, as Nigeria continues to develop and we now have many dozens of economically viable cities and financial centres and our GDP grows to trillions of dollars, you Kenyattas will begin to cry foul that it is fraudulent. You guys are impossible loosers seriously.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 12:56am On Apr 08, 2017
Nowenuse:

So, why did it take you so long to admit that your counties are just 4 years old? What a shame! After dodging the question for so long. I think you are very immature, and you have been comparing them with Nigerian states which have started since 1967.

This is why Kenya just has only 2 cities while Nigeria has about 50 cities which are all working hard to build themselves (develop) at the same pace.

Tomorrow now, as Nigeria continues to develop and we now have many dozens of economically viable cities and financial centres and our GDP grows to trillions of dollars, you Kenyattas will begin to cry foul that it is fraudulent. You guys are impossible loosers seriously.

You do not sound very intelligent. Do your teachers home work first, I am sure you are a high school lad.
Leave

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by gallivant: 2:23am On Apr 08, 2017
Maduawuchukwu:

Oga, Nigeria's high level of unbanked pple is not because of the lack of bank branches as there are bank branches in every nook and cranny of Nigeria. Even in the so called "terror-infested" north they are everywhere. Many Nigerians are just comfortable with keeping money in their own spaces. It is a partly cultural feature.

You don't see that as being retrogressive? This is the reason people come at Nigerians; The fact that you proudly make excuses for almost everything. Nigerians keeping their money under the mattress is detrimental for a myriad of reasons. It's not a counter argument!!!

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by PissedYagami(m): 6:19am On Apr 08, 2017
Nowenuse:

Kenya two cities? Kenya has 3 incorporated cities. The other cities are not incorporated. And we have some huge towns, 400k people and still called town, some quite a handful over 200K people. The definition of the term city differs from country to country mate. Some of your cities are have less than 100k people. Plus your population is 4 times ours man, you have more cities
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by nyangau123: 7:00am On Apr 08, 2017
Nowenuse:

the funny thing is kenya population is approximately 50 million, Nigeria aprox 200 million
why would kenya need more cities? when Lagos population is almost half of the entire kenyan population
kenya has 4 cities which is more than enough for a country with such a population
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Maduawuchukwu(m): 7:06am On Apr 08, 2017
gallivant:

You don't see that as being retrogressive? This is the reason people come at Nigerians; The fact that you proudly make excuses for almost everything. Nigerians keeping their money under the mattress is detrimental for a myriad of reasons. It's not a counter argument!!!

Mr. Man I personally hold much of my money in my space than my bank account. I like it like that and I am not poor or retrogressive.
Also u should know that the history of bank failures when the country's well developed banking industry was still developing also makes people prefer holding money. As the industry is now developed and even still developing more and more people are keeping their monies in the bank. So even if it is good for peeps to keep their money in the bank, keeping it at hand it also a life-choice that you cannot fault.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by nyangau123: 9:00am On Apr 08, 2017
these banking arguments will go on forever grin

bonus
a king and his kingdom,
rare pic of the dominant male lion of Nairobi national park

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 10:43am On Apr 08, 2017
Hail the lion king of the Safari Capital of the World.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 10:47am On Apr 08, 2017
Maduawuchukwu:

Mr. Man I personally hold much of my money in my space than my bank account. I like it like that and I am not poor or retrogressive.
Also u should know that the history of bank failures when the country's well developed banking industry was still developing also makes people prefer holding money. As the industry is now developed and even still developing more and more people are keeping their monies in the bank. So even if it is good for peeps to keep their money in the bank, keeping it at hand it also a life-choice that you cannot fault.

This is actually a sign of two or more things, either you are a gangster, or you are just plain poor. How old are you and when were the banks collapsing? Any economist will tell you how unwise it is to keep money under the mattress both for yourself and for your country. No wonder the amount of money in Naija bank vaults is so little.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 10:50am On Apr 08, 2017
gallivant:

You know when he said that I thought I was dealing with a toddler talking about keeping 10 naira in the bedroom.

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 10:53am On Apr 08, 2017
nyangau123:

the funny thing is kenya population is approximately 50 million, Nigeria aprox 200 million
why would kenya need more cities? when Lagos population is almost half of the entire kenyan population
kenya has 4 cities which is more than enough for a country with such a population

If we started comparing county/state capitals, beginning with Nairobi and Lagos, they would want us to start elsewhere where they think they stand a chance.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 11:42am On Apr 08, 2017
Nowenuse:

Just like the other guy asked u, have we also been bribing our sales and worldwide you-tube views? Now that American artistes are featuring our artistes, is that also bribe? Bad belle!
your artists are paying American artists a lot of money to have them in their songs but your artists will never be half as good as...
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 11:45am On Apr 08, 2017
Nowenuse:

Don't drag SA into your display of ignorance. SouthAfricans love identifying with Nigerian entertainment.
Hollywood still has more sales and fame of their movies and music outside USA than Bollywood has outside India, hence American artistes being more rich and famous than Indian artistes.
So your analogy is completely flawed. Nigeria still has more number of rich, famous and succesful artistes and productions in Africa.
South Africans love identifying with what wink
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nowenuse: 12:03pm On Apr 08, 2017
PissedYagami:

Kenya two cities? Kenya has 3 incorporated cities. The other cities are not incorporated. And we have some huge towns, 400k people and still called town, some quite a handful over 200K people. The definition of the term city differs from country to country mate. Some of your cities are have less than 100k people. Plus your population is 4 times ours man, you have more cities

It is not just about population alone. It is just that Nigerians are far more urban dwellers and city developers than Kenyans, many who prefer to live in their slums and villages drinking animal blood.
When i said Nigeria has about 50 cities, i never included towns below 500k. I only counted 500k and above and still i arrived at about 50 cities.
There are about 15 cities in Nigeria with over 1 million people, while the remaining 35 cities are about 500k-1million .
Any settlement below 500k people i doubt is fit to be called a city but a town instead. Even the 35 Nigerian cities between 500k-1m are mostly fit to be called cities because majority of them are administrative capital cities of state govts.

If our population is 4 times yours, then i think to be on an equal scale we should have 4 times the number of your cities, but we have instead more than 10 times the numb of your cities.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nowenuse: 12:05pm On Apr 08, 2017
Jayceon:
South Africans love identifying with what wink

Why are your few artistes featuring many of our artistes into their songs? How many Nigerian artistes have featured SA artistes?
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nowenuse: 12:33pm On Apr 08, 2017
nyangau123:

People often mistake the entire Lagos state to be one city which is quite wrong. The 21 million people cover the whole Lagos state and not Lagos city alone.

Lagos state is made up of Lagos city, Ikeja city (capital city of Lagos state), Lekki city, Ikorodu city and other towns. It is just that all these places seem to have merged in a way to create a grand urban conurbation.
So you can see that Lagos state alone can challenge Kenya in a lot of aspects as Lagos state alone has 4 cities.

If Kenya has only 4 cities with some few smaller towns in a country of 50 million people, this means at least 75% of Kenyans live in rural areas. Kenya is predominantly rural afterall.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Fidha254(m): 12:41pm On Apr 08, 2017
iblawi:

You guys stupidity is unbelievable? Have you ever Google the number of branches each Nigerian banks have?

I laughed when I saw the way you people contradict yourself about Nigeria Unbanked and banked population by branch.

Let me help you a little, there are banks in Nigeria with over 750 branches, some with 330 branches and even 500 branches. So, you tell me how many Kenyan banks have up to hundred branches?

For mpesa and other I like the way you people keep contradicting yourselves.

Am done with all this lectures you guys should learn about your country first before comparing with others.
It seems the stats might have confused you alittle bit, you are trying to argue with facts....... You cannot argue with fatcs especially the one from world bank.... It doesn't Matter how many bank branches you have currently, they are not enough for your customers..
The fact of the matter is their is a ratio of 5.9 banks for ever 100,000 citizens in Kenya
While the ratio in Nigeria is in Nigeria is 4.9 bank branches per 100,000 citizens

To put it in other words using the ratios of 4.9 and 5.9 with the population of the two countries.......
Nigeria has 8,800 branches for its 180 Million population
Kenya has 2,700 Branches for its 45 Million population

If Nigeria were to have the same ratio of banks to citizens as Kenya(5.9:100K), Nigeria will need to have 10,600 branches. That is, set up 1,800 new branches countrywide so as to have the same ratio of distribution as Kenya.....

Do you understand now or do you need more explanation.... If its not clear i can use a different example

As for Mpesa and the way it has revolutionize how we do stuff in this side of the continent .......... What technologies can Nigeria say it has pioneered of modified to help change the whole perspective around e-transaction?? if its e-commerce, it already exists, if its M-Banking...its not a new technology, it exists everywhere already...

If you think Mobile money failed then prepaire to be disapointed... once Mpesa succeeded a whole new industry emerged centered around it ......
Ask yourself why international organizations that deal with Mobile technology are increasingly setting up their African HQ in Kenya...

GSMA the organisation that deals with SIM cards and telecomunication network protocols Nairobi office is HQ for Africa
Google ---Africa
Nokia research Lab in Nairobi ---Covers Africa,India and Middle East
Qualcomm -the tech company that make phone chips --- Sus saharan Africa

And IBM research lab - This guys have made the most significant move..... In future all those merchant payments and e-transaction you make through VISA, Mastercard, Paypal and any Mobile banking transaction overseas will be rerouted to servers in Kenya .... The future of global electronic transaction will happen of mobile phones, and nowhere else has this revolution made headway than in Kenya.... And they know it

a $2.5 Billion Mainframe will be officially coming online in 2018 give or take to the commercial maret. You think IBM a company that has survived centuries of competition and innovations would just poor out a whooping 2+ billion dollars if they din't see a future... I mean they have an AI (watson) that can predict the future for god's sakes! you can't argue with them..
Besides, Do you think IBM just woke up one day and decided oh, I have an idea, lets go to Africa and build the most powerful server for encrypted transactions ever built, but lets skip Nigeria which has a bigger e-commerce/e-transaction market, lets also skip more technologically advanced economies such as SA,Egypt,Algeria....lets go to this tiny market called Kenya that has nothing ..
Do you think thats how they arrived at their decision?

IBM Develops $2.5bn Super Computer For Kenya

Kenya’s eCommerce ecosystem is set to see greater efficiencies as IBM has launched what it has dubbed the ‘most powerful and secure system ever built.’ The z13 mainframe is an impressive demonstration of human ingenuity, technological advancement, and the monumental cost in terms of time and money – five years and a whopping $2.5 billion.

Constructed with the burgeoning Kenyan mobile economy in mind, this super computer is the first system able to process 2.5 billion transactions per day. To say that this is extraordinary is an understatement considering that Kenya’s total transactions in the whole of 2014 amounted to 825 million raking in Sh2 trillion ($21.9 billion), a mere 33 percent of what the new super computer can do in a day.

“In addition to real-time encryption, the mainframe delivers analytics to help meet the expectations of consumers for speed and safety for trillions of transactions in the mobile economy,” said IBM in a statement at the launch of the system, the development of which involved 60 clients and included 500 patents including cryptographic encryption technologies.

Customers have become notoriously demanding as they see more and more of the potentials embedded in recent technological advancements. The expectation now is that mobile applications be super-fast and seamless, and this is without regard or appreciation to the back end processes that drive their requests. It is trends like these that justify the investments and efforts that go into producing technological wonders like the z13. Experts believe mobile transactions will continue to leapfrog, possibly hitting the 40 trillion transactions per day mark by 2025.

“Every time a consumer makes a purchase or hits refresh on a smart phone, it can create a cascade of events on the back end of the computing environment. The z13 is designed to handle billions of transactions for the mobile economy. Only the IBM mainframe can put the power of the world’s most secure datacenters in the palm of your hand,” said Tom Rosamilia, senior vice president, IBM Systems.

According to IBM, the z13 features the world’s fastest microprocessor which is 2 times faster than the most common server processors and contains 300 percent more memory storage. As a result, the z13 transaction engine is able to analyze transactions in real time and prevent fraud as it is occurring, thus alerting and allowing financial institutions to halt the transaction before the deed is done.

The z13 leverages the cloud architecture which has become something of a legend because of its ability to scale and reliably handle multiple workloads in a secure fashion. In a scale-out model, it is capable of running up to 8,000 virtual servers – more than 50 virtual servers per core, helping to lower software, energy and facilities costs.

Such super computers will soon be in high demand as the rest of Africa is sure to pick up on the digital race.

https://www.africanglobe.net/business/ibm-develops-2-5bn-super-computer-kenya/

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nowenuse: 12:42pm On Apr 08, 2017
Jayceon:
your artists are paying American artists a lot of money to have them in their songs but your artists will never be half as good as...

Justin Skye (an american singer) featured Wizkid in her song last year. Drake has also featured Wizkid in his song last year. Many more american artistes are planning to feature Wizkid this year and Davido too.

Nigerian artistes started featuring American artistes since 2011. We have passed that level by now. Do you think American artistes will just agree to feature in any idiot's music? Is it my fault that other countries' artistes are not affluent enough to afford american artistes?
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by kikuyu1(m): 1:31pm On Apr 08, 2017
Tomorrow they will claim our GDP is false.
No,nigga! Today not tomorrow. Here's recent real inflation rates.

Your latest exchange rate is around 390-400 naira to the dollar.

USD
BUY / SELL
GBP
BUY / SELL
EUR
BUY / SELL
07/04/2017 395 / 405 480 / 490 415 / 425
06/04/2017 387 / 397 475 / 485 410 / 420
05/04/2017 390 / 398 470 / 485 400 / 415

https://abokifx.com/

Osinbajo,your VP recently said your economy is worth 90 trillion naira or 230 bn $. Your 180 mn pop which makes your GDP PPP 1277 $ nominal. Kenya GDP nominal per capita as of 2016 is 1700 $. This is on nominal basis not purchasing power parity . Yes,you can claim your naira has been horribly devalued but we measure economies in dollar terms and ours is higher than yours.

He said Nigeria's economy of around 90 trillion naira ($285.3 billion) needed more spending to make an impact. The West African country planned a record 6.06 trillion naira budget for 2016, but it has struggled to fund it
http://www.reuters.com/article/nigeria-budget-idUSL8N1DX37Q

But that's no surprise since our LPI,HDI,mortality etc, etc,all the important specs are better than yours.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (316) (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) (322) ... (9933)

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.