Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,257 members, 7,829,501 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

Airtel Nigeria Adopts New Strategy To Meet Hard Times (?). - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Airtel Nigeria Adopts New Strategy To Meet Hard Times (?). (3160 Views)

Airtel Nigeria Is Offering 1.8GB For N500 / God Will Continue To Bless Airtel Nigeria / Why Infinix Sells More Than Tecno Despite Having Lesser Marketing Strategy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Airtel Nigeria Adopts New Strategy To Meet Hard Times (?). by AIRTELsteals: 9:37pm On Sep 03, 2016
I know country is hard but it is harder to believe that corporate organizations will resort to petty stealing.

Airtel, on the 13th of August, deducted N50 (fifty naira) from my airtime for a subscription that was made without my knowledge, consent or authorization. I called their Airtel Premier Customer Service line (121) between the 17th and 27th August to request for some evidence that I requested for or activated this service but none was forthcoming. I also wrote Airtel but they stopped responding to my mails since Tuesday 30th August, 2016.

Their last response said they have conducted an investigation and found that I subscribed via sms (i.e. responded/replied to a sms broadcast) on 11/8/2016 at exactly 8:37pm. I requested that they should show me the sms that I sent or tell me the content because I don't have anything to that effect in my phone records or my memory. However, 4 days after I made the request for this sms, they have been unable to provide the sms that I sent. I know their claim of my subscription is a lie because the sms I received did not indicate that they need my consent to subscribe me.

If you are in my shoes, please petition NCC and CPC so that this fraud can be investigated and stopped. We should not be made to pay for some people's greed.

I will post my email correspondence with them later.

You can PM me if you need help with your petition to NCC and CPC. I am available till 10th of September and my service is free.

lalasticala, snake, tonto dike grin

cc: dragnet, honsule, puskin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Airtel Nigeria Adopts New Strategy To Meet Hard Times (?). by AIRTELsteals: 9:47pm On Sep 03, 2016
Meganewday:
Na so MTN too do 4 me oo.. My #100 just go like that.. That thing pain me...

We need to learn to report them. They are not the final authority. NCC and CPC can have some serious input in matters like this if we take the matter to them. It's not about the money, rather it's the principle behind the deduction and their arrogance that is nauseating.
Re: Airtel Nigeria Adopts New Strategy To Meet Hard Times (?). by AIRTELsteals: 10:33pm On Sep 03, 2016
Meganewday:

Good Idea.. But how do we do that?

Go to NCC or CPC website. Use Google if you need help
Check if they have provision for lodging complaints online and write your complaint or
Check for the location of their office in your area. Go in and ask them for procedures to lodge a complain.

I'll prefer to write a proper letter with attachments so I probably won't lodge my complaint online.
Re: Airtel Nigeria Adopts New Strategy To Meet Hard Times (?). by Kelklein(m): 11:04pm On Sep 03, 2016
Guy dial *902# then select 'STOP' option to deactivate those unsolicited SMS

and save urself all these headache..

4 Likes

Re: Airtel Nigeria Adopts New Strategy To Meet Hard Times (?). by AIRTELsteals: 11:13pm On Sep 03, 2016
If you want to submit your complaint online, you can go to

http://consumer.ncc.gov.ng/submit-a-complaint/ - NCC (It is required that you should contact the service provider first).

http://cpc.gov.ng/?page_id=911 - CPC
Re: Airtel Nigeria Adopts New Strategy To Meet Hard Times (?). by AIRTELsteals: 11:20pm On Sep 03, 2016
Kelklein:
Guy dial *902# then select 'STOP' option to deactivate those unsolicited SMS

and save urself all these headache..

Please confirm that dialing that code stops only unsolicited sms texts and not all automated sms (e.g. those from your financial institution).

As per the headache, that is the attitude they want all of us to have. That is what they bank on when they steal small money from millions of people in this manner. Who wants to embarrass himself over fifty naira? Just a few of us. Good enough for me, I don't have any serious things to do for the next few days so it's not really a headache for me.

1 Like

Re: Airtel Nigeria Adopts New Strategy To Meet Hard Times (?). by nani667: 11:24pm On Sep 03, 2016
AIRTELsteals:
I know country is hard but it is harder to believe that corporate organizations will resort to petty stealing.

Airtel, on the 13th of August, deducted N50 (fifty naira) from my airtime for a subscription that was made without my knowledge, consent or authorization. I called their Airtel Premier Customer Service line (121) between the 17th and 27th August to request for some evidence that I requested for or activated this service but none was forthcoming. I also wrote Airtel but they stopped responding to my mails since Tuesday 30th August, 2016.

Their last response said they have conducted an investigation and found that I subscribed via sms (i.e. responded/replied to a sms broadcast) on 11/8/2016 at exactly 8:37pm. I requested that they should show me the sms that I sent or tell me the content because I don't have anything to that effect in my phone records or my memory. However, 4 days after I made the request for this sms, they have been unable to provide the sms that I sent. I know their claim of my subscription is a lie because the sms I received did not indicate that they need my consent to subscribe me.

If you are in my shoes, please petition NCC and CPC so that this fraud can be investigated and stopped. We should not be made to pay for some people's greed.

I will post my email correspondence with them later.

You can PM me if you need help with your petition to NCC and CPC. I am available till 10th of September and my service is free.

lalasticala snake, tonto dike grin

cc: dragnet, honsule, puskin

My case was quite different.... my data was about to expire and they Called me telling me about renewing the plan... I had about 600 naira on my phone and it wasn't enough to renew the plan (1000 naira 1.5GB plan).... I knew I had insufficient balance to renew, but I was surprised when the useless CC agent told me that I had 1000 naira on my phone to Subscribe... I was thinking maybe they made a mistake on their end and the guy wants to Dash me awuuf Parrols and renew the sub for just the 600 Naira on my phone..., so I happily told him to renew it... only for me to receive an SMS message after the Call ended that I borrowed 500 Naira Airtime from Airtel....

imagine, the fool just scammed me and borrowed airtime with my line without my consent sha.... just codedly put gbese for my line sha....

well, Up till now I haven't refunded the money... Any money I load on my Airtel line I use it sharply for Subscription for their 100 naira 1GB weekend plan..thats the only thing I use Airtel for these days... Luckily the foolish Airtel network waits for quite a few seconds before they take any money that enters your phone if you're owing..... they're never getting that money from me
Re: Airtel Nigeria Adopts New Strategy To Meet Hard Times (?). by Kelklein(m): 11:36pm On Sep 03, 2016
AIRTELsteals:

Please confirm that dialing that code stops only unsolicited sms texts and not all automated sms (e.g. those from your financial institution ).

As per the headache, that is the attitude they want all of us to have. That is what they bank on when they steal small money from millions of people in this manner. Who wants to embarrass himself over fifty naira? Just a few of us. Good enough for me, I don't have any serious things to do for the next few days so it's not really a headache for me.
the code covers all unsolicited messages coming from airtel..then if there are still other automated SMS coming to your line for e.g like u pointed out (at bolded), you should direct the anger to appropriate quarters and not hold airtel responsible

p.s: I don't work for airtel

jus sayin
Re: Airtel Nigeria Adopts New Strategy To Meet Hard Times (?). by Kelklein(m): 11:41pm On Sep 03, 2016
nani667:

My case was quite different.... my data was about to expire and they Called me telling me about renewing the plan... I had about 600 naira on my phone and it wasn't enough to renew the plan (1000 naira 1.5GB plan).... I knew I had insufficient balance to renew, but I was surprised when the useless CC agent told me that I had 1000 naira on my phone to Subscribe... I was thinking maybe they made a mistake on their end and the guy wants to Dash me awuuf Parrols and renew the sub for just the 600 Naira on my phone..., so I happily told him to renew it... only for me to receive an SMS message after the Call ended that I borrowed 500 Naira Airtime from Airtel....

imagine, the fool just scammed me and borrowed airtime with my line without my consent sha.... just codedly put gbese for my line sha....

well, Up till now I haven't refunded the money... Any money I load on my Airtel line I use it sharply for Subscription for their 100 naira 1GB weekend plan..thats the only thing I use Airtel for these days... Luckily the foolish Airtel network waits for quite a few seconds before they take any money that enters your phone if you're owing..... they're never getting that money from me
lol.. Sharp guy

Cunny man die...Cunny man bury am
Re: Airtel Nigeria Adopts New Strategy To Meet Hard Times (?). by tosyne2much(m): 11:55pm On Sep 03, 2016
The one that annoys me most is the yeye advert that pops up on my phone every now and then... Immediately I unlock my phone! that yeye advert will pop up when my phone is locked so that by the time I unlock it, I will mistakenly click "ok" and my money will be wiped... I hav been smart enough not to fall for this trick until I unlocked my phone impatiently some days ago and my N50 was wiped

Who do we report to when the NCC that are meant to protect us against fraudulent practices or unjust deductions are even fighting for their own pocket? Smh
Re: Airtel Nigeria Adopts New Strategy To Meet Hard Times (?). by AIRTELsteals: 12:30am On Sep 04, 2016
tosyne2much:
The one that annoys me most is the yeye advert that pops up on my phone every now and then... Immediately I unlock my phone! that yeye advert will pop up when my phone is locked so that by the time I unlock it, I will mistakenly click "ok" and my money will be wiped... I hav been smart enough not to fall for this trick until I unlocked my phone impatiently some days ago and my N50 was wiped

Who do we report to when the NCC that are meant to protect us against fraudulent practices or unjust deductions are even fighting for their own pocket? Smh

I agree o. we always assume that no one will fight for or protect us.

Come to think of it, who has time to be fighting over fifty naira? I think that is why we should be thinking of class action suits against corporate entities like this. Problem again, is the fact that the wheel of justice grinds slowly here in Nigeria
Re: Airtel Nigeria Adopts New Strategy To Meet Hard Times (?). by garyaustin(m): 8:48am On Sep 04, 2016
I had similar experience with one network. i received a message that i had subscribed to one stupid pack and had N25 stolen from my account. I called the customer care and expressed my sadness over the theft. I made it abundantly clear that it is not about N25.00 but he should imagine if one million Nigerians should suffer such faith, that means N25,000,000.00 and if the the thief does that to two million accounts, that would amount to N50,000,000. i was advised to send sms to 2442 to stop further stealing. I did and the next second, i received an alert subscribing me to CANCER PACK!!!!! I called NCC ON 622 and complained bitterly over the theft and i promised to take legal action against whomsoever.
Summary of the story: My money was refunded in full.
CORRUPTION THRIVES WHEN WE OVER LOOK SMALL THINGS.

5 Likes

Re: Airtel Nigeria Adopts New Strategy To Meet Hard Times (?). by tosyne2much(m): 2:08pm On Sep 04, 2016
AIRTELsteals:

I agree o. we always assume that no one will fight for or protect us.

Come to think of it, who has time to be fighting over fifty naira? I think that is why we should be thinking of class action suits against corporate entities like this. Problem again, is the fact that the wheel of justice grinds slowly here in Nigeria
You're right on point bro cool
Re: Airtel Nigeria Adopts New Strategy To Meet Hard Times (?). by K024(m): 3:46pm On Sep 04, 2016
Way to go!!!
Re: Airtel Nigeria Adopts New Strategy To Meet Hard Times (?). by Ligxy(f): 4:11pm On Sep 04, 2016
Airtel called me with one of their numbers and immediately I saw the call, I rejected it. Only for me to receive a text thinking me for subscribing for some religious bull shit. And my 50 bucks wiped.
I called their customer support and they told me that I subscribed. I was so angry. Airtel is worse than others in stealing money from subscribers.
Re: Airtel Nigeria Adopts New Strategy To Meet Hard Times (?). by Richiy(f): 6:39pm On Sep 04, 2016
My issue is with globacom. They charged me for data that I subscribed for and never gave me the data. This was last week.

Since then, I have called them 3 times and they keep saying they are sending the email to the"right quarters".

I wonder if they are using nipost to send emails now.

P.s, how do I call NCC? Their 622 number never goes through.
Re: Airtel Nigeria Adopts New Strategy To Meet Hard Times (?). by Nobody: 8:47pm On Sep 04, 2016
Last night I experienced something unique. Immediately I subscribed for the 50 naira 1.5gb plan my steady 3gb network began to fluctuate. One second my internet network is on the next three seconds it's off. It continued till 1:20 before I had to let it pass.

Even attempts to browse with 2g network gave same response. Removed the sim put it back still the same. Removed the sim changed the sim slot still the same. Changed the APN to mtn's still the same. I'd try it this night again and a repeat of it our relationship ends.

Months ago it was the removal of 10 naira from my Airtel until the credit grinds to zero in the name of Value Added Services. Once I recharge this is activated until the credit is less than 10 naira then they leave it for me.
Re: Airtel Nigeria Adopts New Strategy To Meet Hard Times (?). by chumakk: 8:58pm On Sep 04, 2016
nani667:

what is the code for the 100 for 1g
Re: Airtel Nigeria Adopts New Strategy To Meet Hard Times (?). by AIRTELsteals: 9:05pm On Sep 04, 2016
Richiy:
My issue is with globacom. They charged me for data that I subscribed for and never gave me the data. This was last week.

Since then, I have called them 3 times and they keep saying they are sending the email to the"right quarters".

I wonder if they are using nipost to send emails now.

P.s, how do I call NCC? Their 622 number never goes through.

I experienced the same thing o. I called Airtel's customer service number (121) and insisted on speaking to supervisors after they all started sounding like recorded voices - "sorry it's non-refundable". You need to see how they were passing me around. sometimes keeping me on hold for 10 minutes and then cutting the call. Then, on two occasions, someone promised to send email to the owner of the short code but the next supervisor I spoke with could not confirm if that happened. They know what they're doing. They are trying to wear us out. They have the resources and we wouldn't want to waste our time over 50 naira. Just imagine if they do that successfully on 1 million subscribers each week. They will kep smiling to the bank and we just won't bother. Shebi it's just 50naira.

I didn't try NCC's numbers. I plan to submit my petition by hand. I already got the address of their office that is closest to me.
Re: Airtel Nigeria Adopts New Strategy To Meet Hard Times (?). by AIRTELsteals: 9:43pm On Sep 04, 2016
Ligxy:
Airtel called me with one of their numbers and immediately I saw the call, I rejected it. Only for me to receive a text thinking me for subscribing for some religious bull shit. And my 50 bucks wiped.
I called their customer support and they told me that I subscribed. I was so angry. Airtel is worse than others in stealing money from subscribers.

You can report them too. Maybe they will reap a class action suit from all of these corporate stealing someday.
Re: Airtel Nigeria Adopts New Strategy To Meet Hard Times (?). by AIRTELsteals: 6:38am On Sep 07, 2016
I've submitted my petitions. Let's hope something comes out of it.

(1) (Reply)

Mtn 7GB For #100 / MTN Pulse Nightlife Is A Scam You Should Avoid At All Cost / Htc G1 Drea 110 With Android Os 4 Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.