Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,657 members, 7,816,686 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:18 PM

Writing Hobbies In CV - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Writing Hobbies In CV (7928 Views)

Man Dresses Up As Courier To Hand In CV Disguised As Doughnut Delivery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Writing Hobbies In CV by nickyzeb(m): 11:14am On Sep 05, 2016
When writing hobbies & interest in your CV most graduates make mistakes of writing hobbies & interest that don't Tally with the kind of job they are applying for.

A graduate of civil engineering or any of the engineering do not need to write sporting or like meeting people in his/her CV as and interest &hobbies it do not tally..

It is Better if he/she writes:networking, training, thinking, researching etc. As their hobbies/interest.
Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by Nobody: 7:15am On Sep 18, 2016
First of all, it is Hobbies.... And Yes it is important. But why?? I don't know... I throw d question to d next prson. Wow... I cnt blieve i made FTC finally.... Lol... Wishing all nairalanders an eventful day... Free from accidents and filled with happiness

5 Likes

Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by maadman: 7:16am On Sep 18, 2016
Please get your spellings right. What is hoobies?

1 Like

Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by CHANNELStv2020: 7:16am On Sep 18, 2016
MY BROTHER BUHARI MATTER DON TIRE ME I SWEAR.

4 Likes

Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by spactacus(m): 7:17am On Sep 18, 2016
Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by ednut1(m): 7:17am On Sep 18, 2016
una don come again with ur CV crap. if u put 5 hobbies at least one shud be related to d job. to me o ur hobbies dont have to tally with anything self cos its ur life and u shud have a life outside work. it is ur responses to questions, ability to ask questions, courage, composure and communication skills exhibited during interview dat will get u the job not ur CV. be guided

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by Kakamorufu(m): 7:18am On Sep 18, 2016
not too important Tho. Buh when u wanna include your hobbies, don't include sleeping

4 Likes

Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by laviecontinue: 7:18am On Sep 18, 2016
Thinking!? As hobby? Ha!

2 Likes

Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by Ayoswit(f): 7:18am On Sep 18, 2016
I'm here to learn
Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by cenaboy(m): 7:18am On Sep 18, 2016
nickyzeb:
When writing hobbies & interest in your CV most graduates make mistakes of writing hobbies & interest that don't Tally with the kind of job they are applying for.

A graduate of civil engineering or any of the engineering do not need to write sporting or like meeting people in his/her CV as and interest &hobbies it do not tally..

It is Better if he/she writes:networking, training, thinking, researching etc. As their hobbies/interest.

You are right, but the truth is others may not really be his likes what if if asked questions concerning his Hobbies, can he defend it?
Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by Artorius(m): 7:19am On Sep 18, 2016
I'm all for keeping CVs concise and to the point.

Should a CV appear to be lengthy, hobbies may be considered redundant. If you have something compelling to share you may include it.

I however have a hunch that Recruiters like resumés shorter smiley

If it's not necessary, exclude.

1 Like

Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by Donpett(m): 7:22am On Sep 18, 2016
You can write hobbies if you like but you should make sure it is tailored to your discipline. Not all hobbies are necessary for some job

1 Like

Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by kenny1313(m): 7:26am On Sep 18, 2016
Hobbies must not have to tally or relate to the job. Haba person no go like anything again because of him they fine work.

2 Likes

Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by Nobody: 7:27am On Sep 18, 2016
Hobbies help employers know how well you'd socialize with other workers. Outdoor activities are well known to help people build socialization skills so those with such passion are shoe-ins for employment. Here in Nigeria it's an unneeded protocol because people work too long every week to engage in pastimes.
My hobbies include movie watching, exercising and sleep. I taught a lot of former colleagues exercise tips which some use till this day. I was learning how to bake from a female who enjoyed the activity as well as understand the basics of boxing from an amateur boxer of a colleague. Although people with similar hobbies gel well together, different hobbied invdividuals can still share knowledge amongst themselves hence cementing a workplace bond.

5 Likes

Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by Silverstars: 7:29am On Sep 18, 2016
Hoobies?
Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by Proffdada: 7:37am On Sep 18, 2016
OP what are "HOOBIES"? Hope you didn't write that in your CV?

If you write chess as hobby, you have higher probability of getting employed . But make sure you can back it up

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by ANBAKO: 7:49am On Sep 18, 2016
Hobbies in some way shows your personality. It help the organization in teamwork and networking
Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by chimah3(m): 7:56am On Sep 18, 2016
Hobbies are necessary!!
Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by vislabraye(m): 8:00am On Sep 18, 2016
nickyzeb:

What if you read engineering and your hobby is playing scrabble or chess ? Or probably martial arts.
Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by ANBAKO: 8:10am On Sep 18, 2016
nickyzeb:

Ops I disagree with you that an engineering graduate should not write sporting or meeting people as hobby. Hobby is just an interest. You hobby helps know your personality. An engineering graduate might like football or sports. Have you heard of oil and gas games? It is like Olympic Games for workers of Nigerian companies in the oil and gas sector. Sport also means you are living a sort of healthy life. Some sport requires serious thinking and strategizing -Chess. Some increase your knowledge - Scrabble. Meeting people is more or less like networking and having a global mindset. It means you can work with people of veried background and orientation. And by the way.....not all engineers work on sites. Some work as Engineering sales personnel and their work requires meeting a lot of people

3 Likes

Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by Aliyu333: 8:20am On Sep 18, 2016
. dem dey put am shikenan
Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by strangest(m): 8:25am On Sep 18, 2016
OK does it matter
Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by Benjom(m): 8:29am On Sep 18, 2016
Donpett:
You can write hobbies if you like but you should make sure it is TAILORED TO THE JOB YOU'RE APPLYING FOR. Not all hobbies are necessary for some jobs

Absolutely right
Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by stephnie44(f): 8:33am On Sep 18, 2016
laviecontinue:
Thinking!? As hobby? Ha!
buhari ssee wat u ve caused
Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by thesicilian: 8:33am On Sep 18, 2016
Hobbies don't have to be tailored to discipline. Hobbies are what you do in your spare time, when you're not busy. As long as it is not illegal, there's no need to "tailor" it. For example at an interview I attended long ago for a medical job, the MD was obviously smitten by the fact that I was a mid-level Chess player that he unconsciously veered into chess discussion for about 5mins, before he realized himself and returned to the main interview questions. Even after I resumed work there, he would call me to his office when there was less work to be done, to play chess with him.
I guess I can say that in my own case, my hobby took our relationship from just Employer-employee level to that of something more like friends, colleagues.

4 Likes

Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by ibroh22(m): 8:33am On Sep 18, 2016
Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by Nobody: 8:43am On Sep 18, 2016
nickyzeb:

One of the hobbies listed in my CV is "Watching Formula One".

During a job interview, the MD asked "who are your top 3 racers?" I told her "Lewis Hamilton, Nico Rosberg, and Sebastian Vettel". She said "Hamilton is too arrogant, I prefer Nico". I told her "he's an amazing racer though". She smiled.

I had no work experience, I had just graduated. They needed someone with at least 2 years experience.

To cut the long story short, I've been working there for more than 2 years now.

P.S My job isn't Sports-related.

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by Emeonyerichard(m): 9:01am On Sep 18, 2016
maadman:
Please get your spellings right. What is hoobies?
maybe the Op ment hobbies of lord of the rings .. Just sayn sha

1 Like

Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by Donmichaelz(m): 9:06am On Sep 18, 2016
HOBBIES ARE IMPORTANT, u can also add favourite colour, Food ,drinks and sports team
Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by Jarus(m): 10:02am On Sep 18, 2016
ednut1:
una don come again with ur CV crap. if u put 5 hobbies at least one shud be related to d job. to me o ur hobbies dont have to tally with anything self cos its ur life and u shud have a life outside work. it is ur responses to questions, ability to ask questions, courage, composure and communication skills exhibited during interview dat will get u the job not ur CV. be guided

What will get you invitation for that interview?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by talk2hb1(m): 10:03am On Sep 18, 2016
When Someone saw my Hobbies in my CV he was like shocked shocked shocked
Re: Writing Hobbies In CV by manikspears: 10:07am On Sep 18, 2016
Bros forget, nobody get time to dey read cv nowadays let alone hobbies. Do you know how many cvs the HR have to deal with? And "I know person" still dey there o.

(1) (2) (Reply)

NNPC Is Finally Recruiting for Year 2018 / Why Are These GNLD People Punishing Unemployed Graduates / Urgent Vacancies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.