Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,773 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:38 PM

How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes (16884 Views)

Prophet Muhammad Tops The List Of The Most Influential People Of All Time / 39 Benefits Of Sending Blessings Upon Prophet Muhammad / 34 Inspirational Quotes By Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by Nobody: 1:09pm On Sep 05, 2016
As-Salaamu Alaykum brothers and sisters, I would like to tell us about some incidence in the time of the prophet where he applied joke to make the situation better, but before that I would like to say; The people in the past do say, whoever plays around is gonna get played with, you know whoever take things lightly, people are going to take him lighlty, this is the statement of Umar Ibn khattab “whoever does things in abundance, is known by that thing” so someone who is constantly joking, he is gonna be called a joke, someone always acting foolish, he will be referred to as “you know the foolish brother” who would want that reputation? I am sure no one will, some of the people used to say, “all sorts of animosities and hard feelings, started with joking” and if we think about this, it will make us caution the way we apply jokes and being funny.

The messenger of Allaah(pbuh), he was funny, and he played and joked with his companions, so we gonna take a look of how that was done and in what context, that he played and was joking with his companions…

We have the example of khuwwaat ibn Amr Al-Ansaari, he is the companion of the messenger of Allaah, one time when they were outside of medina, the prophet was at one of these areas, just going to take care of some business, and he passed by Khuwwaat, who was sitting in the company of a bunch of ladies from bani ka’ab, he was sitting with them listen to them talk, kicking it with the ladies, grin so the prophet saw them and said ya khuwwaat, what are you sitting here with these ladies for? So khuwwaat the sahabi, he lied, lipsrsealed he said my camel got lost, it ran away from me, so the prophet realized he was looking for an excuse, so he walked away to carry out his business, on the prophet’s way back, khuwwaat was still sitting with the ladies, the prophet saw him and said, ya khuwwaat, is your camel still running away from you? undecided So khawwaat said “I was embarrassed” and he didn’t want to lie again, so he just sat silently until the prophet walked away, then he said “I tried to avoid the prophet after that” he then said - I was in medina offering salaah and the prophet came and sat down right beside me, so I prolonged my salaah, the prophet said ya aba abdAllaah(i.e khuwwaat) don’t prolong your salaah cuz I’m sitting right next to you, grin so I ended the salaah normally, then the prophet said ya aba abdAllaah is your camel still running away from you? grin I was embarrassed and I didn’t want to lie again, so I just sat silently until the prophet walked away, and I tried to avoid him from that day on, until one day the prophet saw me, he was riding his donkey, immediately he saw me, he tried to catch up to me and said ya aba abdAllaah, is your camel still running away from you? So I turned to the prophet and said “by the one who sent you with the truth, my camel has never run away from me since I accepted islam, so the prophet said “Allaahu Akbar, Allaahu Akbar, oh Allaah guide Aba AbdAllaah” Khawwaat Al-Ansaari said after that I became a better muslim, so we can see how the joke was used to lighten the affair and to afford an opportunity fo the person to self reflect, that’s a joke.

Another Example is the joke the prophet had with his wife A’ishah, Abu Bakr sought permission to enter the Prophet's apartment. In the mean time he heard 'A'ishah speaking in a louder voice than the Prophet. When Abu Bakr entered the apartment, he caught 'A'ishah and said, "Beware! From now on I should never see you speaking thus." He wanted to hit her. The Prophet held Abu Bakr by the waist and thus saved 'A'ishah. Abu Bakr went out angrily. When Abu Bakr had gone, the Prophet said to 'A'ishah, "Well, how did I save you from the man." grin He didn’t say, your father, but he said “that man”, lol, After a few days absence Abu Bakr again sought permission, and saw that both the Prophet and 'A'ishah were at peace. Then he said, "Let me enter in your peace as I had entered in your dispute." The Prophet said, "We do so, we do so." , so again we see how the prophet used a joke to lighten the situation.

I will like to give a last example of a certain old woman who came to the Prophet and requested him to pray to Allah to make her enter Paradise. The Prophet said, "O mother of so and so! No old woman shall enter into paradise." on hearing this the old woman went back weeping. The Prophet said to the people around him to go and tell the old woman that she would not enter into Paradise as an old woman. Then he recited the verse:

"Verily we! We have created those (maidens) by a creation and have made them virgins, loving, of equal age." [Qur'an 56:35-37], again the prophet used a joke to remind the woman about the words of Allaah, and there many examples….

I just decided to write this just to give us a glimpse on how the prophet applied jokes, he didn’t apply joke to disgrace someone, or to make someone feel less, rather he joked to make people feel better, it’s a pity we see some people telling jokes that bring their brothers down and to disrupt the honour of his brother, really, this has to be stopped, if you are applying a joke, apply it in the right manner and do not joke excessively, which was why I gave the words of Umar Ibn khattab “whoever does things in abundance, is known by that thing”

We ask Allaah to grant us goodness – Ameen,

Salaamu Alaykum.

68 Likes 13 Shares

Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by Nobody: 1:44pm On Sep 05, 2016
Jazakallahu Khiran brother

3 Likes

Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by MDsambo: 1:48pm On Sep 05, 2016
JazakhAllahu khair grin

3 Likes

Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by Nobody: 1:56pm On Sep 05, 2016
MDsambo:
JazakhAllahu khair
grin

Wa ant fa jazakAllaahu khaira

1 Like

Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by Nobody: 1:56pm On Sep 05, 2016
Contact17:
Jazakallahu Khiran brother

Wa ant fa jazakillaahu khaira

1 Like

Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by AideeSheks(m): 2:48pm On Sep 05, 2016
Very nice piece. Jazakallahu khairan.

2 Likes

Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by Nobody: 2:52pm On Sep 05, 2016
AideeSheks:
Very nice piece. Jazakallahu khairan.

Wa ant fa jazakAllaah khaira! How are you brother?

1 Like

Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by AideeSheks(m): 5:41pm On Sep 05, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Wa ant fa jazakAllaah khaira! How are you brother?
I've been good, Alhamdulillah. How about u?

1 Like

Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by Nobody: 6:19pm On Sep 05, 2016
AideeSheks:

I've been good, Alhamdulillah. How about u?

Well all i can say is Alhamdulillaah! Hope you are getting stronger in the sunnah and you now like your beards?

2 Likes

Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by AideeSheks(m): 7:46pm On Sep 05, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Well all i can say is Alhamdulillaah! Hope you are getting stronger in the sunnah and you now like your beards?

Oh yes. The discussion we had then really strengthened my resolve. And alhamdulillah, the situation has gotten quite better with the family smiley. The acceptance and tolerance from them seems to be growing as each day passes.
Liking the beard now. Some of your tips on maintaining it were helpful. Ori works wonders for me grin

1 Like

Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by Nobody: 7:53pm On Sep 05, 2016
AideeSheks:

Oh yes. The discussion we had then really strengthened my resolve. And alhamdulillah, the situation has gotten quite better with the family smiley. The acceptance and tolerance from them seems to be growing as each day passes.
Liking the beard now. Some of your tips on maintaining it were helpful. Ori works wonders for me grin

Allaahu Akbar! Thats great, your family will always be your family, and yeah the ori is nice, but some brothers dont know, despite its cheapness, it works wonders compared to some "babararized" grin oils for beards.

1 Like

Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by AideeSheks(m): 9:11pm On Sep 06, 2016
Recently came across this. I think it's also approappropriate for this thread.

A THREAD ON JOKES

بِسْــــــــــــــــــمِ ﷲِالرَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيم

All Praise due to Allāh the Lord of the all Worlds

وَذَكِّرْ فَإِنَّ الذِّكْرَىٰ تَنفَعُ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ
And remind, for indeed, the reminder benefits the believers." [سورة الذاريات: ٥٥]•

Some people joke too much and it becomes a habit for them. Don’t be like the one who jokes ALL the time. The amount of joking should be like the amount of salt in one’s food, as too much laughing and joking makes the heart hard, distracts one from the remembrance of Allāh and makes you lose respect.

Ibn Qayyim said: "When the heart loose shyness, it will like the disliked and dislike the liked (things to Allāh)." •[الطب النبوي ص ٣٣٧]

Ibn Taymiyyah said: "When people help one another in sin and transgression, they finish by hating each other." •[الفتاوى ١٥/١٢٨]

Rasulullāh (ﷺ) said: “A slave (of Allāh) would utter a word, without paying attention to it, which would result in him going down into the Hellfire further than the distance between the east and the west.” •[مسلم]

So the sister in the Niqaab is NOT A NINJAA and the brother who shortens his pants or lengthens his beard is NOT A NERD!

Allāh says:

وَلَئِنْ سَأَلْتَهُمْ لَيَقُولُنَّ إِنَّمَا كُنَّا نَخُوضُ وَنَلْعَبُ ۚ قُلْ أَبِاللَّهِ وَآيَاتِهِ وَرَسُولِهِ كُنْتُمْ تَسْتَهْزِئُونَ

لَا تَعْتَذِرُوا قَدْ كَفَرْتُمْ بَعْدَ إِيمَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنْ نَعْفُ عَنْ طَائِفَةٍ مِنْكُمْ نُعَذِّبْ طَائِفَةً بِأَنَّهُمْ كَانُوا مُجْرِمِينَ

“If you ask them, they declare: ‘We were only talking idly and joking.’ Say: ‘Was it at Allāh, and His verses and His Messenger that you were mocking? ’Make no excuse; you disbelieved after you had believed” •[Surah al-Tawbah:65-66]

NEVER joke about something that is HARAAM:

Some people, especially the youth living in society tend to take the things that are Harām too lightly and something to joke about. For example, they make jokes about a person being GAY or being ‘high’, having committed zinaa, etc.

Subhaan Allāh! We forget that these are things among the worst in the sight of Allāh and bring on Allāh’s wrath and curse and are certainly NOT things to joke about.

— This is the opposite of the serious nature which is the characteristic of the believers. Joking is a break, a rest from ongoing seriousness and striving; it is a little relaxation for the soul.

A man said to Sufyān ibn ‘Uyaynāh (ﷺ), “Joking is not right, it is to be denounced.” He replied, “Rather it is Sunnah, but only for those who know how to do it and do it at the appropriate time.”

The Prophet (ﷺ) said: “Do not laugh too much, for laughing too much deadens the heart.”
[صحح-الجامع ٧٣١٢]•

Umar ibn ‘Abd al-‘Azeez (رحمه الله) said: “Fear joking, for it is folly and generates grudges.”

“It is obligatory upon a person that his speech towards the people is gentle.” •[تفسير ابن القرطبي ١٦/٢]

al-Ḥasan al-Baṣrī رحمه الله said: “Joking too much takes away one's manhood.”
[المجالسة وجواهر العلم ٢\٣٣٣]•

Muhammad Ibn Abd al-Baqi said: “I’ve never even lost an hour of my life with games or jokes.”
[سير أعلام النبلاء ٦٢/٠٢]•

Some of the Salaf رحمهم الله said: “Whoever jokes a lot, his dignity is eaten like the fire eats the wood.”
[أدب الدنيا والدين صفحة ٣١٠]•

Umar ibn ‘Abd al-‘Azeez said: “Fear joking, for it undermines chivalry and manliness.”

Sa’d ibn Abi Waqqās said: “Set a limit to your jokes, for going to extremes makes you lose respect and incites the foolish against you.”

Some people make fun of a person’s appearance, manner of walking or vehicle. But there is the fear that Allāh may requite the one who makes fun of others because of that.

The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “Do not express malicious joy towards your brother’s misfortune, for Allaah may have mercy on him and you may be stricken by the thing you made fun of.” •[الترمذي]

Imaam al-Nawawi (رحمه الله) said: “The kind of joking which is forbidden is that which is excessive and persistent, for it leads to too much laughter and hardening of the heart, it distracts from remembrance of Allāh, and it often leads to hurt feelings, generates hatred and causes people to lose respect and dignity. But whoever is safe from such dangers, then that which the Messenger of Allāh (ﷺ) used to do is permissible for him.”

Nowadays, although the ummah needs to increase the love between its individual members and to relieve itself of boredom, it has gone too far with regard to relaxation, laughter and jokes. This has become a habit which fills their gatherings and wastes their time, so their lives are wasted and their newspapers are filled with jokes and trivia.

Bilaal ibn Sa’d said: “I saw them [the Sahābah] jokingly pretending to fight over some goods, and laughing with one another, but when night came they were like monks.”

Ibn ‘Umar (ﷺ) was asked, “Did the Companions of the Prophet (ﷺ) laugh?” He said, “Yes, and the faith in their hearts was like mountains.”

So we have to follow the example of such people, Biedhinllāh, who were knights by day and monks (i.e., devoted worshippers) by night.

May Allāh keep us, you and our parents safe on the Day of the Greatest Terror, those to whom the call will go out on that great Day:

ادْخُلُوا الْجَنَّةَ لَا خَوْفٌ عَلَيْكُمْ وَلَا أَنتُمْ تَحْزَنُونَ
“Enter Paradise, no fear shall be on you, nor shall you grieve”
•[al-A’rāf 7:49 – interpretation of the meaning]

May Allāh bless our Prophet Muhammad and all his family and companions.
•[الملك قاصم]

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by Nobody: 10:57am On Oct 07, 2016
Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by MakeWeTalk: 11:33am On Oct 07, 2016
a
Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by faruz: 11:33am On Oct 07, 2016
Lalasticlala, seun and mods wey dey in charge

Change the stuff on my profile

Their is not God but Allah.... Remove it..... .....
Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by Edwardhead(m): 11:41am On Oct 07, 2016
faruz:
Lalasticlala, seun and mods wey dey in charge

Change the stuff on my profile

Their is not God but Allah.... Remove it..... .....
why did you decide to comment in the first instance? grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by Nobody: 11:47am On Oct 07, 2016
MakeWeTalk:
a

I'm waiting for your troll filled post

1 Like

Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by QuietHammer(m): 11:48am On Oct 07, 2016
Here is a good joke from Mo.
Narrated Anas bin Malik: Allah’s messenger said, ‘You should listen to and obey your Imam (Muslim ruler), even if he was an Ethiopian (black) slave whose head looks like a raisin.’” Vol. 9, Bk. 89, No. 256 and Vol. 1, Bk. 11, No. 662 grin
Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by Saheed69(m): 11:51am On Oct 07, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Allaahu Akbar! Thats great, your family will always be your family, and yeah the ori is nice, but some brothers dont know, despite its cheapness, it works wonders compared to some "babararized" grin oils for beards.

Can share with me how to use the ori

salam alaikum waramotullah wabarakatu
Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by Nobody: 11:54am On Oct 07, 2016
Saheed69:

Can share with me how to use the ori

salam alaikum waramotullah wabarakatu

Just as how you apply hair cream...

Was alaykum salaam.
Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by Adegoketheking: 11:57am On Oct 07, 2016
what of moon splitting?
is that also a joke?
Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by Musharraf: 11:59am On Oct 07, 2016
JazakumuLLAHU khayran
Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by QuietHammer(m): 12:00pm On Oct 07, 2016
Mo my man grin

“Narrated Umm Khalid bint Khalid: When I came from Ethiopia (to Al-Madina), I was a young girl. Allah’s messenger made me wear a sheet with marks on it. Allah’s messenger was rubbing those marks with his hands saying, ‘Sanah! Sanah!’ (i.e. good, good) grin.” Vol. 5, Bk. 58, No. 214
Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by gqboyy(m): 12:01pm On Oct 07, 2016
Sallal lahu alaihi wa sallam

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by Adegoketheking: 12:04pm On Oct 07, 2016
walekum salam
what of the splitting of the moon?

was that also a joke? grin
Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by hydeehip(m): 12:13pm On Oct 07, 2016
Sallal lahu alaihi wa sallam

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by Adegoketheking: 12:15pm On Oct 07, 2016
Am asking for the third time.
was the moon splitting also a joke?

1 Like

Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by Kazrem(m): 12:29pm On Oct 07, 2016
AideeSheks:

Sorry bro. What does Ori do in beards? I sincerely want to know.
Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by busar(m): 12:38pm On Oct 07, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Just as how you apply hair cream...

Was alaykum salaam.
what does it work for? Jazaakallahu khayr
Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by wasak(m): 12:40pm On Oct 07, 2016
lexiconkabir:

I thought I was the only one who discovered ori...it makes them so soft....
Re: How Prophet Muhammad Applied Jokes by wasak(m): 12:44pm On Oct 07, 2016
Kazrem:

Sorry bro. What does Ori do in beards? I sincerely want to know.
Makes the beard soft and shiny, I discovered it like, 2 months ago

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Nigerian Pilgrims Die In Saudi Arabia / I Am Proud To Be A Muslim! / Seeking A Muslim Solution To Islamist Terrorism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.