Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:57 PM

The World As An Illussion - Spiritual Implications - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The World As An Illussion - Spiritual Implications (637 Views)

Spiritual Implications Of Seeing Dead Okete In Front Of My Shop / Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) / The Origin, Essence And Spiritual Implications Of Valentine Day:* (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The World As An Illussion - Spiritual Implications by DeepSight(m): 1:40pm On Sep 05, 2016
Everyday, I am more and more convinced that the world is indeed an illusion. A simulation.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160901-we-might-live-in-a-computer-program-but-it-may-not-matter

The write up in the link is rather long, but every inch worth it.

If the idea is true - and I am certain it fundamentally is - what implications would this have on faith based perspectives on such matters as -

- Morality
- The Afterlife
- The Existence of God

Cc: Plaetton, Jenwitemi, Pastor AIO, Justcool, Mnwankwo, Myjoe
Re: The World As An Illussion - Spiritual Implications by plaetton: 4:00pm On Sep 05, 2016
Very Interesting indeed.

There is not one scenario or notion that I have not contemplated at one time or another.

And there isn't any notion that I would fundamentally disagree with.

The notion that the Earth is a zoological lab for a much higher species is the one I find most probable, due some uncanny personal experiences I have had.

My notion that consciousness is nothing Devine, but simply the agglomeration of interactive information is also supported.

The implications for morality are non- existent.
Morality, as we have debated often here on NL, is an evolving characteristic of a conscious and self aware mind. Our moral thresholds will continue evolve, as long as we in this bubble, irrespective of whether it's real or a simulation.

The implications on the existence of god is self-evident. If we are the products of a simulation or a lab experiment, then obviously who ever is pulling the strings wins the almighty God award.
Abi? undecided

If we are bits of energy and information, then obviously the cessation of biological life would simply be just another form of energy transformation.

So, while the biological shell disintegrates into it's various elementary components, the vital energy remains, but simply transfers.

1 Like

Re: The World As An Illussion - Spiritual Implications by DeepSight(m): 4:37pm On Sep 05, 2016
plaetton:
Very Interesting indeed.

There is not one scenario or notion that I have not contemplated at one time or another.

And there isn't any notion that I would fundamentally disagree with.

The notion that the Earth is a zoological lab for a much higher species is the one I find most probable, due some uncanny personal experiences I have had.

I remember. I have had some odd experiences of my own.

My notion that consciousness is nothing Devine, but simply the agglomeration of interactive information is also supported.

Don't you think something like information itself could not exist without a conscious mind in the first place. Its sort of similar to the Chicken and Egg problem, don't you think?

The implications for morality are non- existent.
Morality, as we have debated often here on NL, is an evolving characteristic of a conscious and self aware mind. Our moral thresholds will continue evolve, as long as we in this bubble, irrespective of whether it's real or a simulation.

Are you sure about this?

How would you feel about us evolving to the the level where we can ourselves create such simulations of universes, and inserting "beings" therein programmed to endure hellish and barbarous existences?

In fact this thought reminds me that sometimes when I play a video game, perhaps I am indirectly controlling events in a two dimensional world in the same way as beings in a more multidimensional world may be controlling this three dimensional world simply as a video game! This is a very scary thought! What if every football match you watch is actually a reflection of what is being played our by some random gamer in a higer dimension?

The implications on the existence of god is self-evident. If we are the products of a simulation or a lab experiment, then obviously who ever is pulling the strings wins the almighty God award.
Abi? undecided

Again, are you sure about this?

Because beings who control the simulation could well be living in a simulated universe of their own - and this will immediately create the very same infinite regress problem oft debated about God.

If we are bits of energy and information, then obviously the cessation of biological life would simply be just another form of energy transformation.

So, while the biological shell disintegrates into it's various elementary components, the vital energy remains, but simply transfers.

What if that "program" that is you is simply deleted at the moment of death - I.E - It doesnt continue to exist in any form that is still fundamentally you.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Photos: Venue For #connectedinrivers Crusade With Pastor Kumuyi In Port Harcourt / @short* Diwali 2016 Short Wishes, Short Status, Short Sms In Hindi / Coercion Or Personal Choice?: The Reality Of Jehovah’s Witness Stance On Blood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.