Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,607 members, 7,809,219 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:41 AM

Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) (6473 Views)

How The Discovery Of Alien Species Will Destroy Religion / Spiritual Implications Of Masturbation: My 24 Years As An Addict / Dreams: What Are The Implications Of Not Dreaming Or Remembering Your Dreams? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by johnydon22(m): 3:05pm On Jun 27, 2018
In the note of the on going animosity between participants of this board leading to mostly derailment of important threads, i call for restraint and respect for this thread. I am raising this topic because of its interesting potentials. This is a ground for profound reflection and discussion within the premise raised.
If you are here for other things, please kindly ignore the thread or just read comments and debates

So back to the thread.

Recently. The presence of complex organic materials have been confirmed on Mars. It is speculated that they may be remnants of ancient microbial life on Mars or in someway connected to such.

Organic materials have been detected on Mars and some other parts of the Solar system like Titan but the difference with this discovery is that none is as complex as this one found preserved in a dried lake bed on Mars.

Read more COMPLEX ORGANIC MATERIAL ON MARS

So back to the premise of the thread.

Not withstanding that everyday is inching us closer and closer to discovering life outside earth, within the solar system or some other corner of the universe or meeting an utter disappointment if the universe happens to be devoid of life.

But considering the size of the universe, abundance of elements necessary for organic compounds, water and light, it is more likely that the universe is teaming with life is so many remote corners and distant worlds maybe even in our own backyard (Mars) even if these are just microbes as simple as a single cell.

I began thinking on the implications of such discovery on so many aspects of our lives. if we confirm life outside earth, a subject that has been reserved for science fiction culture will be confirmed and the implication of such discovery on very important parts of our lives cannot be over-emphasized.

Politics
Physics
biology
communication
philosophy and
Religion

Will be changed forever.

These other aspects are important and must also be included in our discussion but i think we mostly know how this find will affect science, there are already branches of science that accommodates the possibilities of extra terrestrial life forms like astrobiology.

For religion, it will shake the very foundations of doctrinal values across several religions in the world especially the conventional popular ones. New arguments will be included on doctrinal positions and many of the held beliefs of today will be discarded in effect.

So this is where all of us come.

What do you think will be the implications of such discovery on human religion and spirituality? why?

If you think it wouldn't change a thing, why?

Let us discuss and argue with civility.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by johnydon22(m): 3:07pm On Jun 27, 2018
Teempakguy, bqlekan, blakjewelry, robinhenz, menesheh, pastorAIO, hahn, Mariasucre, seun, mrphysics
Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by Martinez19(m): 3:17pm On Jun 27, 2018
It will confirm the fact that we already know: the universe wasn't built for us.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by thesicilian: 3:23pm On Jun 27, 2018
It's going to change a lot about what we know and think about God. However whether it makes us believe more, or less, in God depends on how hostile or accommodating the extraterrestrial life we find is to us.

2 Likes

Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by johnydon22(m): 3:26pm On Jun 27, 2018
thesicilian:
It's going to change a lot about what we know and think about God.
How so?
Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by thesicilian: 3:40pm On Jun 27, 2018
johnydon22:
How so?
If we find extraterrestrial life outside of Earth, the questions that will be on most religious minds will include things like, Did God create these beings? If so why have they remained hidden from us for so long? If not, then who created them? It it then false, what is written in John 1, that all things were made by Him, and without Him was not anything made that was made. ? And if that is false, how then can we believe anything thing else?
Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by johnydon22(m): 4:39pm On Jun 27, 2018
thesicilian:

If we find extraterrestrial life outside of Earth, the questions that will be on most religious minds will include things like, Did God create these beings?
True and this will also provide deeper insight on scientific position about the origin of life.

If so why have they remained hidden from us for so long? If not, then who created them? It it then false, what is written in John 1, that all things were made by Him, and without Him was not anything made that was made. ? And if that is false, how then can we believe anything thing else?

Thus a need for doctrinal and theological revisions will be in order
Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by Blakjewelry(m): 4:51pm On Jun 27, 2018
for me ¡ I know there are but finding one is another topic all together. as for the religious guys ? it won't shatter their belief because they are going come up with a good story to maintain the status quo. they will tell god created the aliens too, some will say they demons lol others will say god hide them for a reason.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by bqlekan(m): 5:07pm On Jun 27, 2018
Thanks for the mention... This should be an interesting thread. I will contribute later tonight.
Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by johnydon22(m): 5:11pm On Jun 27, 2018
Blakjewelry:
for me ¡ I know there are but finding one is another topic all together. as for the religious guys ? it won't shatter their belief because they are going come up with a good story to maintain the status quo. they will tell god created the aliens too, some will say they demons lol others will say god hide them for a reason.

It would be difficult to explain away how full microbal life forms in a world fits into the purpose narrative.. I think such findings will lend weight to abiotic origins of life and that is bad news for God.
Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by tartar9(m): 6:23pm On Jun 27, 2018
“And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and earth and what creatures He has dispersed throughout them . And He, for gathering them when He wills , is competent.”
[The Holy Quran 42:29]

“And to Allah prostrates
whatever creature is in the heavens and whatever is on the Earth , and also the angels , and they are not arrogant.” [The Holy Quran 16:49]

No,existence of extra terrestrial life won't shake my beliefs-it only shows the might of God.

Now let's turn the question around:
How will the realization of the non-existence of extra terrestrial life affect your beliefs as an atheists-won't this strongly imply the existence of God?
Thou this is an hypothetical question because we can't know surely if extra terrestrial life do not exist,but we are strongly pointed towards this direction....The Fermi paradox.

3 Likes

Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by RuthlessLeader(m): 6:57pm On Jun 27, 2018
The only way I can see religion and other social phenomena being affected by alien life is if we are confronted by an alien civilization that wants to conquer/assimilate us.

I say this because of the examples in history. Take for instance our ancestors in their communities. Before the colonialists, they had their own languages, religions and cultural norms and practices. After they came, we got nigeria where we worship another people's God, wear their clothes and have the same mannerisms and speak their language in our own dialect.

If an alien civilization were to meet with us with an active interest in our affairs; these things would change:
Language: As the civilization would have likely have colonized other worlds, they might have a galactic lingua franca for ease of communications which earth would have to learn.
Culture: when the colonialists came to nigeria back then, we were practically a nudist culture(igbos) or wore little clothing, had barbaric practices(killing twins, osu etc) and were generally primitive in all things. Today, we have poor clothing incapable of protecting us from elements, have stupid practices like sexism and racism, and technologically have only reached the moon. The aliens would have likely have conquered all this before becoming a spacefaring people.
Religion: The aliens would be stronger than us and more advanced. It would make sense for all our present day religions to go extinct and theirs become the new world religion. Or maybe they may be a secular or atheistic society.

Budaatum dalaman martinez19 hakeem12

1 Like

Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by CAPSLOCKED: 7:30pm On Jun 27, 2018
OPS! SEEMS I'M GONNA WATCH THIS ONE FROM THE STANDS AS A GEOCENTRIST.

1 Like

Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by johnydon22(m): 8:30pm On Jun 27, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

OPS!
SEEMS I'M GONNA WATCH THIS ONE FROM THE STANDS AS A GEOCENTRIST.

Geocentrist? What does that mean?
Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by Lukuluku69(m): 9:40pm On Jun 27, 2018
tartar9:
“And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and earth and what creatures He has dispersed throughout them . And He, for gathering them when He wills , is competent.”
[The Holy Quran 42:29]

“And to Allah prostrates
whatever creature is in the heavens and whatever is on the Earth , and also the angels , and they are not arrogant.” [The Holy Quran 16:49]

No,existence of extra terrestrial life won't shake my beliefs-it only shows the might of God.

Now let's turn the question around:
How will the realization of the non-existence of extra terrestrial life affect your beliefs as an atheists-won't this strongly imply the existence of God?
Thou this is an hypothetical question because we can't know surely if extra terrestrial life do not exist,but we are strongly pointed towards this direction....The Fermi paradox.

Nice and sharp. I worship The Lord of the Worlds. If tomorrow, we encounter Aliens, it only confirms my Quran and nothing more.

1 Like

Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by Lukuluku69(m): 9:49pm On Jun 27, 2018
Quran 27:65 Say:None in the heavens or on earth, except God,knows what is hidden:nor can they perceive when they shall be raised up (for Judgement)." This shows that,like humans,there are other creatures in the universe that will also be raised from the dead. We are told in 19:93-96,"Not one of the beings in the heavens and the earth but must come to (God) Most Gracious as a servant. He does take an account of them (all),and hath numbered them (all) exactly. And everyone of them will come to Him singly on the Day of Judgement. On those who believe and work deeds of righteousness, will (God) Most Gracious bestow love." Extra Terrestrials are no new thing to Muslims. It is just that we have not encountered them. It will/can not shake my Faith but only re-confirm it.
Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by dalaman: 9:51pm On Jun 27, 2018
A discovery of alien life will end all religious belief especially if we are able to communicate with them and if they are more advanced than we are.

3 Likes

Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by Lukuluku69(m): 9:58pm On Jun 27, 2018
dalaman:
A discovery of alien life will end all religious belief especially if we are able to communicate with them and if they are more advanced than we are.

Let us assume that Earthlings encounter some Aliens or let say we are able to land on the Moons of Jupiter in say 50 years from now. On getting there, we met with exactly what obtains here on Earth vis some bowing as the Muslims do, some saying someone came and died for their sins some eons ago, while some set up images of some past holy figures in the past, do you think this will shatter Religion as we know it on Earth? I think not.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by johnydon22(m): 10:06pm On Jun 27, 2018
Lukuluku69:

Let us assume that Earthlings encounter some Aliens or let say we are able to land on the Moons of Jupiter in say 50 years from now. On getting there, we met with exactly what obtains here on Earth vis some bowing as the Muslims do, some saying someone came and died for their sins some eons ago, while some set up images of some past holy figures in the past, do you think this will shatter Religion as we know it on Earth? I think not.

Its very unlikely that this scenario will play out.

1 Like

Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by dalaman: 10:10pm On Jun 27, 2018
Lukuluku69:

It won't. It will instead strengthen religious beliefs here on earth, but the reality is that if we find an alien civilization they will have their own God ideas that are totally different ours that's if they hold belief in God or have any religious beliefs.
Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by Lukuluku69(m): 10:21pm On Jun 27, 2018
johnydon22:

Its very unlikely that this scenario will play out.

Attached is a pix of our Planet. It was taken by one of the Mars Rovers. Looking at that pix sometimes humbles me. I mean, everything going on with my life, my struggles etc and every other lives is happening within that Dot! And when I look at that starry sky, I can not but wondered how many of "us" are out there. Yes, you can say it is a wishful thinking but if we are truly alone in the vast empty nothingness, then Whoever or whatever created this/ or whatever process that fashioned this only waste a lot of Space. I strongly believe that of Alien life is found, it will reinforce a lot of people Faith. I am sorry to say this, but I read it somewhere and I strongly share the opinion that, Alien life will only shatter the belief that a single soul that was supposedly sacrifice on Earth could save countless Billions in all the World. What Islam teaches is that, all these countless Billions are only responsible for themselves and their Lord will judge them singly.

3 Likes

Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by Lukuluku69(m): 10:28pm On Jun 27, 2018
dalaman:

It won't. It will instead strengthen religious beliefs here on earth, but the reality is that if we find an alien civilization they will have their own God ideas that are totally different ours that's if they hold belief in God or have any religious beliefs.

Islam teaches that Messengers were sent to people of different Tongues calling them to the worship of the One True God. Would it be out of place to imagine any intelligent life out of our planet to have their own messengers? Islam preaches a God that is " Lord of all the Worlds" and also allow for different messengers but same message. The God that inspire Jonah here on Earth can do same for Kijah on Europa wink
Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by hahn(m): 10:49pm On Jun 27, 2018
Religion exists mostly because of fear, fear of the unknown, fear of the afterlife and also because it is comforting and makes people feel good. It has nothing to do with logic.

Therefore in the event that we discover alien life theists will only attribute it's existence to their gods.

Think about it, despite all the evidence against religious notions, despite all the contradictions in their "holy" books, despite the fact that their gods are incompetent and professionals at playing hide and seek, despite the ridiculous and childish stories used to back up religious nonsense people still believe in them simply because it makes them feel good, gives them a sense of power over "sinners" ie people who don't believe in their own version of god etc

That said religion will continue to thrive as long as people remain gullible, choose to be intellectually dishonest and are incapable of facing reality

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by Lukuluku69(m): 11:00pm On Jun 27, 2018
hahn:
Religion exists mostly because of fear, fear of the unknown, fear of the afterlife and also because it is comforting and makes people feel good. It has nothing to do with logic.

Therefore in the event that we discover alien life theists will only attribute it's existence to their gods.

Think about it, despite all the evidence against religious notions, despite all the contradictions in their "holy" books, despite the fact that their gods are incompetent and professionals at playing hide and seek, despite the ridiculous and childish stories used to back up religious nonsense people still believe in them simply because it makes them feel good, gives them a sense of power over "sinners" ie people who don't believe in their own version of god etc

That said religion will continue to thrive as long as people remain gullible, choose to be intellectually dishonest and are incapable of facing reality

Suppose these extraterrestrials fear the unknowns, fear for their afterlife too and are looking for comforting "beliefs" and as well want to feel good, could they be as religious as we are here on Earth?
Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by dalaman: 1:09am On Jun 28, 2018
Lukuluku69:

Islam teaches that Messengers were sent to people of different Tongues calling them to the worship of the One True God. Would it be out of place to imagine any intelligent life out of our planet to have their own messengers? Islam preaches a God that is " Lord of all the Worlds" and also allow for different messengers but same message. The God that inspire Jonah here on Earth can do same for Kijah on Europa wink

This is demonstrably false. What is the name of the messenger that was sent to the ancient Hindus? What about the ancient Mayans and Aztechs, what is the name of the messenger that were sent to them? Their histories show that they were pagans and polythiest throughout. What about the ancient Chinese and Japanese? Which messengers were sent to them to teach them about one God?

2 Likes

Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by budaatum: 2:18am On Jun 28, 2018
dalaman:

What? Their "Bible" would say "Thou shalt kill" ? I kind of doubt it somehow, as they'd hardly survive if they went about killing themselves.

But that aside, it would be phenomenal, even without contact, which would likely take years, either for them to travel to where we are or we to where they are. And more years for actual communication as we'd both need to learn each other's language

In the meantime, our religions would just revise the meanings their books have. We already see it with someone saying Allah already told about lifeforms on other planets. And science would go through revisions too. I'd expect the impact to be no more than the discovery that the earth was not the centre of the universe really, and take about as long to sink in.

By the way, the complex organisms found on Mars are the equivalent of finding common Oxygen. I wonder what language Oxygen would speak. lol.
Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by Lukuluku69(m): 4:02am On Jun 28, 2018
dalaman:

This is demonstrably false. What is the name of the messenger that was sent to the ancient Hindus? What about the ancient Mayans and Aztechs, what is the name of the messenger that were sent to them? Their histories show that they were pagans and polythiest throughout. What about the ancient Chinese and Japanese? Which messengers were sent to them to teach them about one God?

They were not Pagans! As for the Hindus, they call their Messengers Rishis. Remember, the Term Pagan was fastened on them by the Europeans. Islam never called any one Pagans strictly in the sense that Europeans called them but rather use the term Mushrikee, which means someone who worship many Gods. Try and read the Hindus' Scriptures namely the Vedas, the Upanishads and the Puranas. It talked about God and messages of these Rishis. Read the expositions of their Pandits and sift thru their explanations. They were never Pagans. As for the Mayans, a messenger must surely have lived among them because when the rest of the world found them, they worshipped a god. You see, some of these Messengers names were lost in the course of time. The mere fact that, every people on Earth belief in gods without any missionary work shows that someone in a distance future preach a god among them.
Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by hahn(m): 11:00am On Jun 28, 2018
Lukuluku69:

Suppose these extraterrestrials fear the unknowns, fear for their afterlife too and are looking for comforting "beliefs" and as well want to feel good, could they be as religious as we are here on Earth?

Sure.

Religion is a product of fear and ignorance
Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by Lukuluku69(m): 11:12am On Jun 28, 2018
hahn:

Sure.

Religion is a product of fear and ignorance

In that wise, it would be safe to say our delusion is Universe-wise? smiley

1 Like

Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by dalaman: 11:28am On Jun 28, 2018
Lukuluku69:

They were not Pagans! As for the Hindus, they call their Messengers Rishis. Remember, the Term Pagan was fastened on them by the Europeans. Islam never called any one Pagans strictly in the sense that Europeans called them but rather use the term Mushrikee, which means someone who worship many Gods. Try and read the Hindus' Scriptures namely the Vedas, the Upanishads and the Puranas. It talked about God and messages of these Rishis. Read the expositions of their Pandits and sift thru their explanations. They were never Pagans. As for the Mayans, a messenger must surely have lived among them because when the rest of the world found them, they worshipped a god. You see, some of these Messengers names were lost in the course of time. The mere fact that, every people on Earth belief in gods without any missionary work shows that someone in a distance future preach a god among them.

Hindus throughout history worshiped a God called Brahma and other minor Gods. Rahis were Messengers sent to propagate the messages of Brahma. Mayans were mostly polytheist.
Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by hahn(m): 11:52am On Jun 28, 2018
Lukuluku69:

In that wise, it would be safe to say our delusion is Universe-wise? smiley

Universe-wise Universal. Well this is all based on assumption

The only fact is that religion is motivated by delusion
Re: Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) by Lukuluku69(m): 11:58am On Jun 28, 2018
dalaman:

Hindus throughout history worshiped a God called Brahma and other minor Gods. Rahis were Messengers sent to propagate the messages of Brahma. Mayans were mostly polytheist.

Yeah. So it is settled that the Hindus were never Pagans as the Europeans say they were. As for the Mayans, and other Tribes of the New World, they ALL belief in a God, yes different names but they belief in an all pervading spirit that creates everything. calling them Pagans is derogatory and Islam rightly call them Polytheist. So, do you now agree with the earlier position that among all Nations, a Messenger lived among them?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Gospel Of Barnabas Laid To Rest! / If This Happened In Religion, They Will Call It Jazz Or Miracle / All atheists worship and rever God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.