Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,980 members, 7,835,289 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:08 AM

SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist (50074 Views)

10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist / 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary / 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by dXtro: 10:33am On Oct 13, 2016
Professor, you de teach still de talk tautology @ 'except only'
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by TOPCRUISE(m): 10:35am On Oct 13, 2016
Chimarto:
Short Niker grin
KIP KWAYET
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by omachimyk(m): 10:48am On Oct 13, 2016
installment not installmentally, the remaining ones correct, cunny is used wrongly since it means the female Instruments
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by justmenoni: 11:05am On Oct 13, 2016
No mind OP, it's like Op is a novice,s o you are meant to tell us that pidgin English na wash init? even some British words are incorrect in the USA, cos their English differs and same way our own English differs but op you mean sey if I pay my house rent INSTALLMENTALLY na wahala or if I see a snake and snap it on my way to NIGHT-VIGIL so as to send to lala is also a crime or you mean the reactions of some nairaland mod's are very CUNNY when it come's to Naija celebs and animal news?

OP, do you mean I'm wrong if I arrive at an AFRICAN TIME to an important event or if the organisers are angry with me and then I tell my partner that we should Kuku come and be going grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

ngoben:
Wetin u mean self OP...nigerians r creative...we r innovative....oxford dict fit c am borrow am put inside dictionary

1 Like

Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by Nobody: 11:06am On Oct 13, 2016
Why would you say something does not exists when it has been created?
Nigerians have created these words...hence, they are existing mbok
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by ollah2: 11:22am On Oct 13, 2016
OlaSpeaker:

i still stand by my argument, the consistent use of these words will make it to be added to the dictionary or as well we create our own America have theirs so why can't we the consistent use of the word like "gonna, wanna" made it to be added to the dictionary though slang but does it matter? what we fail to understand is that no matter how we study the Queen's language we can't be as good as they will imagine a man from England wanting to be an authority in Igbo language. the earlier we develop and embrace our own linguistic the better
if i were the president i will make pidgin English our lingual franca

You don't know what you are saying bro. Stand in front of your employer and speak the wanna gonna. You should proceed by writing Nigerian version in official reports .
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by aalangel(f): 11:35am On Oct 13, 2016
There's absolutely nothing shocking about these.
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by OlaSpeaker(m): 11:41am On Oct 13, 2016
ollah2:

You don't know what you are saying bro. Stand in front of your employer and speak the wanna gonna. You should proceed by writing Nigerian version in official reports .
Not just me we are already using the Nigeria English in formal writings and speeches just as the OP admitted even the PRESS use these words and to add we use them daily in our offices, correspondence even in the classrooms let just face it and free ourselves from this oyinbo 21century slavery
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by ollah2: 12:47pm On Oct 13, 2016
OlaSpeaker:

Not just me we are already using the Nigeria English in formal writings and speeches just as the OP admitted even the PRESS use these words and to add we use them daily in our offices, correspondence even in the classrooms let just face it and free ourselves from this oyinbo 21century slavery

Dude quit hailing mediocrity. There's a reason why somethings are labelled standard. This is Nigeria and we follow UK style of writing and speaking. Your office accept it doesn't mean it's nationally accepted. People write exams. Do you expect them to your these wrong things? If your child writes this way and fails woefully, would you question the exam body for failing him? After all, he took after his father. C'mon
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by Horlahmah(m): 2:11pm On Oct 13, 2016
adedemmy:
Nigerians are one of the most creative people on the planet. While non-Nigerians may doubt my assertion,till they manage to invent a popular version of English like we did (Pidgin English), they can keep on doubting.
Although there are many awesome things Nigerians do, we do have some face palm moments. Don't laugh too hard at the five words Nigerians use that doesn't exist in the English dictionary:

1. Installmentally
This doesn't exist anywhere else except only in
Nigeria. If you doubt this, just search
"Installmentally" on google and watch only Nigerian sites pop up.

2. Night-Vigil
This is another one I don't understand. Does anyone ever hold a vigil during the day?

3. Disvirgin
How hard is it to say deflowered? It must be
extremely difficult because even health professionals and newsmen use this absurd word that doesn't exist.

4. Wake Keeping (Wake keep)
Nigerians have not only made the old European
custom of watching over a corpse till it's buried
(called a wake) theirs, they have actually renamed it. Please, there is no such phrase as "wake keep" or even "wake keeping".

5. Cunny
This is not meant as a euphemism for the female body part. When Nigerians say this word, they mean "cunning". How is that for a giant leap forward?

Source: http://betterpikins..com/2016/09/5-words-nigerians-use-that-actually.html

Is it a crime to be creative

I wonder why they don't exist yet they are in use. Lols

The ones that exist who created them?
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by OlaSpeaker(m): 3:04pm On Oct 13, 2016
ollah2:

Dude quit hailing mediocrity. There's a reason why somethings are labelled standard. This is Nigeria and we follow UK style of writing and speaking. Your office accept it doesn't mean it's nationally accepted. People write exams. Do you expect them to your these wrong things? If your child writes this way and fails woefully, would you question the exam body for failing him? After all, he took after his father. C'mon
UK standard yes but it has falling a long time ago we are just deceiving ourselves by holding onto to a failed standard Nigeria has come of age and we should develop ourselves mediocrity is not at play here it just accepting who you are the same way America embrace mediocrity and today are better of the UK whether we accept it now or later Nigeria English as develop and will continue to develop you can check the latest edition of the Oxford dictionary then you will understand what am saying because even you use Nigeria English either in spelling words tenses or sentence structure
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by dayus12(f): 3:27pm On Oct 13, 2016
@Op and on a lighter mood,we have 'installment' and I don't think it's a big deal qualifying it with 'ally' giving it the word installmentally.

We can't wait for oyinbo to update us all the time...
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by Tumikate97(m): 3:39pm On Oct 13, 2016
abuayman:
If just a single Japanese invented the word; WORKSHOP. What's bad if a whole country like Nigeria and it's citizens invented those words??

OP, go sleep

Lemme tell yhu something, my name is abuayman, and I was the one who DisVirgin my Wife.

SHIKENAN

That picx go me lmao! There is a difference now. No be say I abduct her, we both plan am like dat based on agreement.
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by kaleeto: 4:32pm On Oct 13, 2016
disclaimer: FYI [for your information] Nigerians didn't invent pidgin language. Pls try too get your facts right and don't b misleading people hereah!
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by kaleeto: 4:38pm On Oct 13, 2016
Nigerians are one of the most creative people on the planet. While non-Nigerians may doubt my assertion,till they manage to invent a popular version of English like we did (Pidgin English), they can keep on doubting.
Although there are many awesome things Nigerians do, we do have some face palm moments. Don't laugh too hard at the five words Nigerians use that doesn't exist in the English dictionary:

1. Installmentally
This doesn't exist anywhere else except only in
Nigeria. If you doubt this, just search
"Installmentally" on google and watch only Nigerian sites pop up.

2. Night-Vigil
This is another one I don't understand. Does anyone ever hold a vigil during the day?

3. Disvirgin
How hard is it to say deflowered? It must be
extremely difficult because even health professionals and newsmen use this absurd word that doesn't exist.

4. Wake Keeping (Wake keep)
Nigerians have not only made the old European
custom of watching over a corpse till it's buried
(called a wake) theirs, they have actually renamed it. Please, there is no such phrase as "wake keep" or even "wake keeping".

5. Cunny
This is not meant as a euphemism for the female body part. When Nigerians say this word, they mean "cunning". How is that for a giant leap forward?

FYI nigerians didn't invent pidgin language. Pls the next time you want too post something try too verify if its true. Am sure you decided to put this post out of boredom
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by ollah2: 4:44pm On Oct 13, 2016
OlaSpeaker:

UK standard yes but it has falling a long time ago we are just deceiving ourselves by holding onto to a failed standard Nigeria has come of age and we should develop ourselves mediocrity is not at play here it just accepting who you are the same way America embrace mediocrity and today are better of the UK whether we accept it now or later Nigeria English as develop and will continue to develop you can check the latest edition of the Oxford dictionary then you will understand what am saying because even you use Nigeria English either in spelling words tenses or sentence structure

Did you just say America? You made mention of a first world country that everything works. Before stuffs like that can work in Nigeria, many things gotta work. So the Africa isn't a first world country but they do things their way and it's exported and accepted cos things work in their country. No basic amenities in play in Nigeria. Corruption is the other of the day.
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by Caseless: 4:54pm On Oct 13, 2016
How many times this thread wan make frontpage nau.
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by onionsoup(f): 4:58pm On Oct 13, 2016
ngoben:
Wetin u mean self OP...nigerians r creative...we r innovative....oxford dict fit c am borrow am put inside dictionary

I tire for the bros ooo as e tell us the wrong words why im no complement am with the correct words to use. You self, teac[s][/s]her teaching no fit u.
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by francotunsco: 5:21pm On Oct 13, 2016
OP, you may need to remove night vigil from your list. From my understanding of the word 'vigil', it actually mean being at alert, keeping unhindered watch over something or an event. Therefore, could keep vigil in the morning or at night. For example, i can hire a armed fellow to keep vigil on my egungun (masquerade) while it is on its outing which would happen in the morning or afternoon. My instruction would be '' Mr Lalasticlala, you are hereby hired to keep vigil on Bamgbose egungun to ensure that it is not abducted while on outing'' Feel free to quote me.
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by wealthcome1(m): 5:21pm On Oct 13, 2016
fidel3431:
no 7 change
Change is No1 sef
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by trish87: 5:29pm On Oct 13, 2016
ngoben:
Wooooow, I love u for dis statement... . Hahahahahahahhahaaaha ahahhaahhaa
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by Chd12(m): 6:46pm On Oct 13, 2016
Lol.. .2,3 and 4 got me laughing hard. ...nice one OP
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by Chd12(m): 6:51pm On Oct 13, 2016
francotunsco:
OP, you may need to remove night vigil from your list. From my understanding of the word 'vigil', it actually mean being at alert, keeping unhindered watch over something or an event. Therefore, could keep vigil in the morning or at night. For example, i can hire a armed fellow to keep vigil on my egungun (masquerade) while it is on its outing which would happen in the morning or afternoon. My instruction would be '' Mr Lalasticlala, you are hereby hired to keep vigil on Bamgbose egungun to ensure that it is not abducted while on outing'' Feel free to quote me.

I think this word help clear the air about your understanding of "vigil"
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/vigil
etymology

Related to vigor, and more distantly compare vis and vital, from similar Proto-Indo-European roots and meanings (lively, power, life), via Latin.

noun (plural vigils)
- A watch kept during normal SLEEPING HOURS, especially over the body of a recently deceased or dying person.
- A period of observation or surveillance.
- The eve of some religious festival in which staying awake is part of the ritual devotions.
synonyms
- (watch, especially at night) lookout, look-out, qui vive, watch

========
Text generated by the application English Dictionary https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=livio.pack.lang.en_US
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by OlaSpeaker(m): 6:55pm On Oct 13, 2016
ollah2:

Did you just say America? You made mention of a first world country that everything works. Before stuffs like that can work in Nigeria, many things gotta work. So the Africa isn't a first world country but they do things their way and it's exported and accepted cos things work in their country. No basic amenities in play in Nigeria. Corruption is the other of the day.
All what you cited as nothing to do with language
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by FaroukM(m): 7:06pm On Oct 13, 2016
OP...meet Prof. Wole soyinka and update your vocabulary. he once said in a life broadcast and I quote. “Obasanjo gbajued Nigerian”...I can't forget dat sentence lailai
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by francotunsco: 8:07pm On Oct 13, 2016
Chd12:

I think this word help clear the air about your understanding of "vigil"
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/vigil
etymology

Related to vigor, and more distantly compare vis and vital, from similar Proto-Indo-European roots and meanings (lively, power, life), via Latin.

noun (plural vigils)
- A watch kept during normal SLEEPING HOURS, especially over the body of a recently deceased or dying person.
- A period of observation or surveillance.
- The eve of some religious festival in which staying awake is part of the ritual devotions.
synonyms
- (watch, especially at night) lookout, look-out, qui vive, watch

========
Text generated by the application English Dictionary https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=livio.pack.lang.en_US
OP. That's a wonderful link. But, you need not delete relevant words which corroborates my position as in defination 2 Which says 'a period of observation or surveillance at ANY HOUR' Another points are the synonyms of keeping vigil which are VIGILANCE and WATCHFULNESS! We all learn everyday bros. For clarity, the dictionary only defines vigil as watching with vigour ESPECIALLY at sleeping hours which includes nights or afternoon of public holidays when many would either be busy performing domestic chores or sleeping! Therefore, if anyone says 'night vigil' it is very correct as there could also be afternoon vigil. Anyone interested in this discussion should please peruse the link provided!
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by LuvU2: 8:01am On Oct 14, 2016
ollah2:

u re just saying rubbish
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by adedemmy: 2:09pm On Nov 02, 2016
10 Nigerian Universities With The Most Beautiful Girls (with Pictures) by adedemmy: 1:59pm Nigerian Universities with the most beautiful girls – Every University in this country is blessed with beautiful rose flowers. This post is a highlight of 10 Nigerian Universities with the Most Beautiful girls when the average of beauties in each campus is measured. 10. Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) A school of pretty, intelligent and innocent northern girls. You can hardly find such array of beautiful northern girls in any campus..my future wife is from here..lol! 9. Anambra State University (ANSU) Filled with blessed future mothers with pretty figures you do like to see every morning when you wake and every night before you sleep. 8. University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) The school of lions and lionesses. These lionesses are so intelligent, pretty and homely that you do like to take them to your mama. 7. Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) Trust me, I have personally been to this school before. Just incase you decide to write JAMB again or you are writing JAMB now and you see a pretty young girl near you, ask for her school of choice, it will be OAU. 6. Covenant University (CU) The school for the rich and religious minded… The school for the overly beautiful Nigerian half spoilt/ half alright babes. The girls of CU are combination of beauty and Brains and most importantly, these beauty and brains are expensive, I mean, really expensive!! 5. University of Portharcourt (UNIPORT) A school of solid chicks..i call them ‘Ororo babes’ (oil babes) The Oil money around the vicinity turns even the ugly to beauties. All the beautiful girls you have seen and your head couldn’t understand why a human being could be that beautiful must have a root in UNIPORT. 4. Lagos State University (LASU) In this multi ethnic city of Lagos, a great deal of beauties from across the country seek admission into Lagos state university, the next time you enter a taxi and you see pretty girl by your side, tell her you are a LASU student or graduate and she will hug you very well and tell you her department. 3. YABA College of Technology (YABATECH) Can’t just miss this school of pretty buchachas. YABA TECH has one of the prettiest-denomination of girls you can seek around campuses in Naija..their beauty can make you to YABAleft, hehehe! 2. Imo State University (IMSU) I can swear you won’t see an ugly girl in IMSU. Even the ugly girls in IMSU can win beauty pageant against their neighbouring schools with names like F..O, A… N, N….E etc I didn’t mention any name ooooooo na you sabi. 1. University of Lagos (UNILAG) The school of beauties…eyin Omo eko! The school has made it a routine to adopt the prettiest of girls from Queens college Yaba every year during UTME. The only P is… Dem too dey form!. I may not have the final say on this but if I give you a chance to carry out the same research I have done your result won’t be up to a stone throw from the one listed above. Oya, rep your school ASAP! LINK»»»»»» http:// betterpikins..com/2016/10/10-nigerian- universities-with-most.html
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by adedemmy: 2:09pm On Nov 02, 2016
10 Nigerian Universities With The Most Beautiful Girls (with Pictures) by adedemmy: 1:59pm Nigerian Universities with the most beautiful girls – Every University in this country is blessed with beautiful rose flowers. This post is a highlight of 10 Nigerian Universities with the Most Beautiful girls when the average of beauties in each campus is measured. 10. Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) A school of pretty, intelligent and innocent northern girls. You can hardly find such array of beautiful northern girls in any campus..my future wife is from here..lol! 9. Anambra State University (ANSU) Filled with blessed future mothers with pretty figures you do like to see every morning when you wake and every night before you sleep. 8. University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) The school of lions and lionesses. These lionesses are so intelligent, pretty and homely that you do like to take them to your mama. 7. Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) Trust me, I have personally been to this school before. Just incase you decide to write JAMB again or you are writing JAMB now and you see a pretty young girl near you, ask for her school of choice, it will be OAU. 6. Covenant University (CU) The school for the rich and religious minded… The school for the overly beautiful Nigerian half spoilt/ half alright babes. The girls of CU are combination of beauty and Brains and most importantly, these beauty and brains are expensive, I mean, really expensive!! 5. University of Portharcourt (UNIPORT) A school of solid chicks..i call them ‘Ororo babes’ (oil babes) The Oil money around the vicinity turns even the ugly to beauties. All the beautiful girls you have seen and your head couldn’t understand why a human being could be that beautiful must have a root in UNIPORT. 4. Lagos State University (LASU) In this multi ethnic city of Lagos, a great deal of beauties from across the country seek admission into Lagos state university, the next time you enter a taxi and you see pretty girl by your side, tell her you are a LASU student or graduate and she will hug you very well and tell you her department. 3. YABA College of Technology (YABATECH) Can’t just miss this school of pretty buchachas. YABA TECH has one of the prettiest-denomination of girls you can seek around campuses in Naija..their beauty can make you to YABAleft, hehehe! 2. Imo State University (IMSU) I can swear you won’t see an ugly girl in IMSU. Even the ugly girls in IMSU can win beauty pageant against their neighbouring schools with names like F..O, A… N, N….E etc I didn’t mention any name ooooooo na you sabi. 1. University of Lagos (UNILAG) The school of beauties…eyin Omo eko! The school has made it a routine to adopt the prettiest of girls from Queens college Yaba every year during UTME. The only P is… Dem too dey form!. I may not have the final say on this but if I give you a chance to carry out the same research I have done your result won’t be up to a stone throw from the one listed above. Oya, rep your school ASAP! LINK»»»»»» http:// betterpikins..com/2016/10/10-nigerian- universities-with-most.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Old Man Writing JAMB In Ondo (Photos) / (photo): This Is By Far The Best Definition Of School I Have Seen All My Life / Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.