Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,671 members, 7,820,356 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:30 PM

The Parable Of The Two Sons - Paul Ellis - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Parable Of The Two Sons - Paul Ellis (4802 Views)

Parable Of The Rich Man And Lazarus: What Was The Sin Of The Rich Man? / The Parable Of The Ten Virgins - Jack Kelley / Bishop David Oyedepo And His Two Sons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Parable Of The Two Sons - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:58am On Sep 06, 2016
From time to time people ask me to write about the parables of Jesus. This is something I enjoy doing because I love the parables . The parables of Jesus are launch pads to revelation and if we have ears to hear they reveal the wisdom of God. Especially this one:

What do you think? There was a man who had two sons. He went to the first and said, “Son, go and work today in the vineyard.” “I will not,” he answered, but later he changed his mind and went. Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, “I will, sir,” but he did not go. (Matt 21:28-30)

Great story! I can’t wait for the movie.
But seriously, it is an awesome story when you understand the context (Jesus was talking to the chief priests and elders) and the question that follows it:

Jesus: “Which of the two did what his father wanted?”
The chief priests and elders: “The first.” (see Matt 21:28-31a)

Okay, so that wasn’t a very hard question. But Jesus is going somewhere with this. Here’s the punchline:

Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you. (Matt 21:31b)

Boomfah!

This little parable is a divine demolition job. It is a barrel of TNT under the edifice of DIY religion.

To the religious leaders Jesus says, “You think you’re tight with God because you’re good and decent, but those you dismiss as sinners – the crooks and the whores – are getting into the kingdom ahead of you.”

What?! [Insert the sound of confused religious types here.]

In a manner of speaking, God asks all of us to work. Who is the one that says yes but doesn’t deliver? It is the religious person who boasts, “I will do everything the Lord has said” (Ex 19:cool, but breaks their promise again and again. Think of the Israelites at Sinai promising to keep the law. Think of the Christian at the altar call resolving to try harder. Such a person can never please the Lord because they are relying on their own strength . They are walking in unbelief.

And who is the one that says no but ultimately does the Father’s will? It is the honest sinner who makes no boast about keeping the law but who puts their trust in Jesus. It is the person who says, “God I’ve tried, but I can’t do it. I’m a failure. God help me.”

The way of righteousness

The religious leaders saw themselves as God’s servants but Jesus said they were hypocrites. They were the son who talked a good line but never showed up.

For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did. (Matt 21:32a)

John revealed the way of righteousness by pointing to Jesus who is our righteousness. Religious folk rejected Jesus (Mark 8:31), but sinners came to him in droves and many were radically changed by the power of God. The sick were healed and the dead were raised. Haters became lovers and thieves became givers. Yet despite these signs and wonders, the religious people were not impressed.
And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him. (Matt 21:32b)

Even today there are some who think they are doing the work of God by keeping the commands and being moral, but their actions belie a self-confidence that is really unbelief. They work because they do not recognize the finished work of God, and they remain on the outside even as tax collectors and prostitutes enter the kingdom.

The work of God

The religion of self-improvement defines righteousness in terms of keeping the rules. “The commands in the Bible show us how to live for God.” But this is the way of self-righteousness and it leads to failure every time. The true way of righteousness is Jesus who takes our sinful rags and clothes us with his righteousness (Is 61:10).

The religion of self-improvement defines the work of God as rule-keeping and good behavior, but Jesus said the work of God is “to believe in the one he has sent” (John 6:29). This is why the so-called “sinners” have the inside track when it comes to the kingdom of grace. Someone who is honest enough to admit their failings won’t be blinded by any illusions about how good they are.

It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick… For I have not come to call the (self-) righteous, but sinners. (Matt 9:12-13)

If you are confident of your own goodness and decency, hear the parable of the two sons. Your goodness is not good enough. Look into the mirror of the law and you will see that God demands perfection and nothing less.

But if you know that you are imperfect, broken, and sinful, then thank God for Jesus who makes the sinner righteous! Allow the Holy Spirit to persuade you that the righteousness you and I need comes to us as a free gift and is received by faith from first to last. This is the true work of God!

Jesus told two parables about two sons. This one, like the parable of the prodigal, reveals the stunningly good news that God loves us like a father. God does not hold our sins against us, nor does he expect us to perform and work to earn his love. He simply longs for all of us to come home, receive his love, and join the party.

Grace and peace to you!

https://escapetoreality.org/2015/11/11/parable-of-two-sons-matthew-28/

4 Likes

Re: The Parable Of The Two Sons - Paul Ellis by Nobody: 7:27am On Sep 06, 2016
LMAO. God loves us like a father. LoL. theist like to cherry pick from the bible. have you forgotten some of jesus's other parables. like when
1.) jesus says that God is like a slave-owner who beats his slaves "with many stripes." Luke 12:46-47
2.)God is like a rich man who owns a vineyard and rents it to poor farmers. When he sends servants to collect the rent, the tenants beat or kill them. So he sent his son to collect the rent,and they kill him too. Then the owner comes and kills the farmers and gives the vineyard to others. Matthew 12:1-9. for those of you that don't know we are the tenants in this parable.
3.) In the parable of the talents, Jesus says that God takes what is not rightly his, and reaps what he didn't sow. The parable ends with the words: "bring them [those who preferred not to be ruled by him] hither, and slay them before me." Luke 19:22-27
4.)In the parable of the unforgiving servant, the king threatens to enslave a man and his entirefamily to pay for a debt. This practice, which was common at the time, seems not to have bothered Jesus very much. The parable ends with this: "So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you." If you are cruel to others, God will be cruel to you. Matthew 18:23-35
Don't ever cherry pick from the bible again.
Re: The Parable Of The Two Sons - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:11am On Sep 06, 2016
Lennycool:
LMAO. God loves us like a father. LoL. theist like to cherry pick from the bible. have you forgotten some of jesus's other parables. like when
1.) jesus says that God is like a slave-owner who beats his slaves "with many stripes." Luke 12:46-47
2.)God is like a rich man who owns a vineyard and rents it to poor farmers. When he sends servants to collect the rent, the tenants beat or kill them. So he sent his son to collect the rent,and they kill him too. Then the owner comes and kills the farmers and gives the vineyard to others. Matthew 12:1-9. for those of you that don't know we are the tenants in this parable.
3.) In the parable of the talents, Jesus says that God takes what is not rightly his, and reaps what he didn't sow. The parable ends with the words: "bring them [those who preferred not to be ruled by him] hither, and slay them before me." Luke 19:22-27
4.)In the parable of the unforgiving servant, the king threatens to enslave a man and his entirefamily to pay for a debt. This practice, which was common at the time, seems not to have bothered Jesus very much. The parable ends with this: "So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you." If you are cruel to others, God will be cruel to you. Matthew 18:23-35
lol plz are you an atheist? Jesus loves u my broda..

5 Likes

Re: The Parable Of The Two Sons - Paul Ellis by Nobody: 8:34am On Sep 06, 2016
jiggaz:
lol plz are you an atheist? Jesus loves u my broda..
Yeah I'm sure he does, that's why hell send me and others like me to everlasting torment because I refuse to accept a God without proof. Just like like his disciples and all the multitudes that followed him demanded proof. Why is mine any different than theirs. Besides Jesus was also bigoted, how do you know he would have loved Africans, he said nothing about slavery even though it was widespread in those days. Jesus isn't all loving like people think.
In Matthew 15:22-26 we find evidence of his hate.
A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is suffering terribly from demon-possession." Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him,"Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us." He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel." The woman came and knelt before him. "Lord, help me!" she said. He replied, "It is not right to take the children's
bread and toss it to their dogs."
sure he healed her daughter later but that doesn't excuse his behaviour. How would he have treated an African?

1 Like

Re: The Parable Of The Two Sons - Paul Ellis by Nobody: 8:38am On Sep 06, 2016
Theist should read their bible more often before launching arguments.

1 Like

Re: The Parable Of The Two Sons - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 9:44am On Sep 12, 2016
morning...
Re: The Parable Of The Two Sons - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:14pm On Sep 15, 2016
jiggaz:
evening
Re: The Parable Of The Two Sons - Paul Ellis by Proffdada: 7:44am On Sep 18, 2016
kiss
Re: The Parable Of The Two Sons - Paul Ellis by Donpett(m): 8:02am On Sep 18, 2016
Nice one poster
Re: The Parable Of The Two Sons - Paul Ellis by chloro: 8:19am On Sep 18, 2016
morning great ones, God loves you.
Re: The Parable Of The Two Sons - Paul Ellis by MidasTouche01(m): 8:31am On Sep 18, 2016
Nice one op...

Corinthians overtly tells us that the parables have two layers of meaning:
‘milk for babes and meat for men’—where the milk is a watered-down reading for infantile minds, and the meat is the true message, accessible only to mature minds....
Re: The Parable Of The Two Sons - Paul Ellis by mercyviv(f): 8:35am On Sep 18, 2016
wonderful!

[url="http://6ters.com/threads/between-money-and-a-woman-which-is-more-powerful.827/"]Between Money and A Woman Which is more powerful?[/url]
Re: The Parable Of The Two Sons - Paul Ellis by osarenmwienda(f): 8:39am On Sep 18, 2016
am seeing things o
Re: The Parable Of The Two Sons - Paul Ellis by olivegirl(f): 2:16pm On Sep 18, 2016
Christian be very careful in this world we are now. Devil have designed different fact that are not truth to swift you. I heard someone saying to that 666 is melanin cell components (cell that produced dark skin), the guy went further to prove to me devil is black of course he lifted bible as usual to quote for me.

But Chukwu 0kike who always nearer in troubles helped to remind him that Satan can only be opposite of your skin.genesis 1:27, said he made us in his image, God is black also, don't expect God to appear to a pure man(math5:cool whose colours are white as black man, the same applicable to us but we black refused to change the mindset. It's only people that love themselves will accept the image God he created them. Ungrateful creatures will still rub creams and relax thier hair. Even if thousands of Africa still go to heaven and hell to bring in the same complaints about retouching hair stuff, they can't change. God is also black Jew.
Re: The Parable Of The Two Sons - Paul Ellis by Jeel: 2:46pm On Sep 18, 2016
mmmmh. Time to dig deeper
Re: The Parable Of The Two Sons - Paul Ellis by Oluwason(m): 3:49pm On Sep 18, 2016
Lennycool:
Theist should read their bible more often before launching arguments.

U are d one that rather need to believe what u read. I quite agree with u that Christians need to read their bible more often which many do not, but interestingly "they believe the little they read". U just showed forth what the op is saying, u took time to "read n work" but not "believe and trust".

Anyways my Prayer for u is to truly encounter God cos I perceive u were "religious" before bt never encountered the Lord.

1 Like

Re: The Parable Of The Two Sons - Paul Ellis by Drigdee(m): 5:33pm On Sep 18, 2016
Lennycool:
Nawa
Re: The Parable Of The Two Sons - Paul Ellis by Nobody: 5:55pm On Sep 23, 2016
Drigdee:

Nawa
Nawa Wetin?

(1) (Reply)

Question Christians Couldn't Answer. Perhaps You Could! / Very Very Very Dirty Passages From The Biblei / Christ Embassy Will Hand Out Free Gifts On Independence Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.