Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,215 members, 7,815,247 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:33 AM

Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches (4727 Views)

Funny Testimony In Nigeria Churches / Is It Sinful To Wear Trousers As A Christian Lady? / Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by Akolawole(m): 2:04am On Dec 05, 2006
Where can i start?

Let examine the following verses in the bible

Deuteronomy 22: 5

"The woman shall not wear that which pertainet unto man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the lord thy God"

Exodus 28:42

"And thou shallt make them linen breeches to cover their unclothedness;from the loins even unto the thighs they shall reach:

1 Chorinthians 11:6

"For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered"

From the three verses, Bible preaches against woman wearing anything that belong to man. Bible also hate unclothedness then want women to cover their head.

In my own observation, no Church in Nigeria could one see any of this rule being broken Pre-1986. Though i stand to be corrected.

I think the whole thing, i mean scarfless,hatless,semi-unclothedness,trouserfull women started from a church whose headquarters is in Old Bendel state.

Nairalanders,

Is these wrong in Churches?
Am i mis-interpreting the scripture?
What is your take on this?
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:12am On Dec 05, 2006
How come when people use the Old Testament for certain situations(like divorce) people whine that it doesnt matter anymore since it's of the Old Testament (Moasic Law) yet when it comes to things that they wanna scream about they are the same people to quote the Old Testament?

New Testament doesnt say anything about "man clothing" so let that go however i thought all women covered their heads in church anyway.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by casper(m): 2:19am On Dec 05, 2006
the one that bothers me the most is the one of not covering theri heads. it makes me feel somehow always and also the one of wearing trousers, i feel it is just so wrong.

i thought i was the only one wondering.

God dey sha
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by mrmayor(m): 7:26am On Dec 05, 2006
Theifofhearts,

Thanks my dear,you can see the level of hypocrisy and idiocy of the righteous African.if the old testament condemns women wearing mens clothes, maybe we should stone adulterers,those who mix bread and meat in the same basket etc like the old testament recommends.

BTW,whats men clothing anyway?Are Scotish men wearing female clothing?
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by gbadex1(m): 9:25am On Dec 05, 2006
@ mrmayor and ToH:

pls tell them o!! This topic once got me arguing with another dude during sunday school in church. Before u know it, it was a free-for-all!!
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by Akolawole(m): 12:02pm On Dec 05, 2006
@Everyone

Why must we mention the scottish, the english etc in bibilical arguments?

Why do these phenomenon start in Mid 80's?

Why are we not doing all these pre-mid-80's?

What have we gained now on doing these?

I have witnessed some marriages where the so-called bride wore some attires that were made in "heaven" on presumably her most important day.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:07pm On Dec 05, 2006
again get over the trouser thing, it's "old testament" and if you wanna dwell it then I will dwell that divorce can also be allowed

Akolawole:

I have witnessed some marriages where the so-called bride wore some attires that were made in "heaven" on presumably her most important day.

what does this even mean?
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by Wilfem(m): 9:40pm On Dec 05, 2006
I don't even know what to say/write, because this particular issue about Christianity bothers me a lot. I also wonder why many of our ladies are not taking this issue so serious and whenever you tries to preach about those issues to them, most of them will tell you that "Dressing is a matter of the heart" and that "God doesn't look at the outward appearance" So they can dress the way they like, anyway, I totally disagree with all these. But from my own observations, I think the issue has now became more of a doctrinal issue, which differs from one Church to another. No wonder why some Churches preaches against them while some doesn't.
Another factor I think is responsible for all these immorallities by the ladies has to do with thier motives, some of them could deliberately dress provocatively with the ulterior motive of seducing someone, which could be a Pastor or a brother so as to have their way. Other factors responsible are; Inferiority complex, all with the thoughts and feelings that they're fashionable, and that it makes them "look smarter" Above all, it depends on the level of spirituality of individuals and there's this general saying that "The spiritual controls the physical". So it is my prayer that God will open the "spiritul eyes" of those who indulges in those abominable acts and that they'll change for good. (Amen)
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by Wilfem(m): 9:56pm On Dec 05, 2006
I don't even know what to say/write, because this particular issue about Christianity bothers me a lot. I also wonder why many of our ladies are not taking this issue so serious and whenever you tries to preach about those issues to them, most of them will tell you that "Dressing is a matter of the heart" and that "God doesn't look at the outward appearance" So they can dress the way they like, anyway, I totally disagree with all these. But from my own observations, I think the issue has now became more of a doctrinal issue, which differs from one Church to another. No wonder why some Churches preaches against them while some doesn't.
Another factor I think is responsible for all these immorallities by the ladies has to do with thier motives, some of them could deliberately dress provocatively with the ulterior motive of seducing someone, which could be a Pastor or a brother so as to have their way. Other factors responsible are; Inferiority complex, all with the thoughts and feelings that they're fashionable, and that it makes them "look smarter" Above all, it depends on the level of spirituality of individuals and there's this general saying that "The spiritual controls the physical". So it is my prayer that God will open the "spiritul eyes" of those who indulges in those abominable acts and that they'll change for good. (Amen)
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:57pm On Dec 05, 2006
ladies ladies sha ni

Quit looking at this "lustful" ladies. alaijerunju.

It's obviously a test and many of you fail. Why blame the girl when you should be blaming yourselves for being so weak. olojukokoro  cheesy
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by Akolawole(m): 10:55pm On Dec 05, 2006
ThiefOfHearts:

again get over the trouser thing, it's "old testament" and if you want to dwell it then I will dwell that divorce can also be allowed

what does this even mean?

ThiefOfHearts:

ladies ladies sha ni

It's obviously a test and many of you fail. Why blame the girl when you should be blaming yourselves for being so weak. olojukokoro cheesy

My Sister,

1) Is Old testament part of the bible?

Even if its that Old, why is no single church in Nigeria started doing all these "holies" before mid 80's

Is Pre-mid-80's Super Old?

2)
ThiefOfHearts:

It's obviously a test and many of you fail. Why blame the girl when you should be blaming yourselves for being so weak. [/b]olojukokoro cheesy

I dont have problem with ladies wearing trousers but being naked and scarfless in church. I beg!

Weak for what?
For absolute nudity, i hate them with passion maybe because i am not exposed and being too old-fashioned.

@ThiefOfheart

I have checked your profile including your "picture", you are very very beautiful but em em grin [ [b]JUST JOKING O
]
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:59pm On Dec 05, 2006
I guess some Nigerian churches have decided to be mordern, how else would they be able to get money if they didnt allow people to wear whatever they want.

Like I said I always thought women covered their heads in church, never been in one where they haven't. Infact some try to make it into a fashiopn show of "who has the better hat or prettiest scarf"

Now Mr. man, what does "em em" mean?
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by Akolawole(m): 11:15pm On Dec 05, 2006
@ThiefOfHeart

Modern?
Are we old fashioned?

Personal question

Can we know the meaning of this username?
Can it be changed?
Can we know the meaning of your signature as well?

Leave em em for now.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:37pm On Dec 05, 2006
complaining about trousers is old fashioned

and dont answer me with a question. answer mine and I'll answer yours
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by gbadex1(m): 11:48pm On Dec 05, 2006
If at all trouser-wearing by them honeys is a sin, then what would be said about skirt-wearing by them bloody scots? Abi that one no be sin. Ni gba mi, awa naija maan se bin pe ati j'eba yo, ka de ma sosokuso ngbami.

If we should look at the trouser issue itself, trousers can be classified into those men and for the women!! After all, you don't men wearing hipsters or female trousers or isht like that and vice-versa.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by gbadex1(m): 11:48pm On Dec 05, 2006
If at all trouser-wearing by them honeys is a sin, then what would be said about skirt-wearing by them bloody scots? Abi that one no be sin. Ni gba mi, awa naija maan se bin pe ati j'eba yo, ka de ma sosokuso ngbami.

If we should look at the trouser issue itself, trousers can be classified into those men and for the women!! After all, you don't men wearing hipsters or female trousers or isht like that and vice-versa.

Methinks it's just hypocrisy and all.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by Akolawole(m): 11:56pm On Dec 05, 2006
@Gbadex

gbade. x:

Methinks it's just hypocrisy and all.

At 19 years, it may be difficult for you to know the difference between churches of then and now.

BY THE WAY, WHY MUST WE TWIST THE BIBLE TO SATISFY OUR OWN WHIMS AND CAPRICES?
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by gbadex1(m): 12:03am On Dec 06, 2006
Dude, have you been checking my profile? Don't feel too comfortable like i was being stalked, mayne. Lol, anyways it's all good.

But then, the old timers are kinda being too narrowminded, so to say, on issues. Not that we don't luv 'em or isht like that, it's just annoying.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by Akolawole(m): 12:10am On Dec 06, 2006
gbade. x:

Dude, have you been checking my profile? Don't feel too comfortable like i was being stalked, mayne. Lol, anyways it's all good.

But then, the old timers are kind of being too narrowminded, so to say, on issues. Not that we don't love 'em or isht like that, it's just annoying.

Very very narrow-minded indeed but at that time, we have a morally-sound and prosperous society.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:11am On Dec 06, 2006
morally sound. lol.

Denial must be the best island to live on.  cheesy
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by gbadex1(m): 8:22am On Dec 06, 2006
I doubt it if there were more morally sound, if at all by a slight margin. Like moms used to say : "as there was promiscuity now, so was it then".

If my pops or any of the oldies could wear afros and still live it up, and when the young 'uns do that sh*t, they frown upon it. That's just total BS.

It's like they have this preconceived idea, that when u're a youth, u're either too dumb to think for yourself, are always wayward, or just "bad".
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by Bolarge(m): 2:02pm On Dec 06, 2006
Rom14:5b
. . .Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by mrpataki(m): 2:13pm On Dec 06, 2006
@ Akolawole
We seem to meet again. Now let me ask a basic fundamental question, who defines that a trouser is meant for the male only or rather that trousers define masculinity alone?
Please do tell me what father Abraham, Isaac, Moses and all the patriarchs of old wore in their times that defined them from their female counterpart?
If you can tell me vivdly that trousers alone, skirts alone were designed for a particular sex and who designed such rules then we can continue on this thread. If not this thread should be shut down simple and straight forward!!!
Lets stop picking a particular verse and using it to antagonise ourselves.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by mrpataki(m): 2:20pm On Dec 06, 2006
I can start a whole message against this particular thread, or have you forgotten the woman that washed Jesus's feet, was she putting on a scarf/hat whatever you want to call it, to worship the King of kings? please lets not be biased and pick a scripture to settle whatever our beliefs are.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by edygirl(f): 2:31pm On Dec 06, 2006
Akowale,
               Go tell it on the mountain, over the hills and everywhere.
   I can't even remember the last time I bought a skirt. I only have two suit skirt all my clothes are pants and I go to church in them.And about the scarf thing I wear it only when I am cold. I believe my hair is enough to cover my scalp.

If you don't like it then go tell the priests to stop wearing gowns over their pants to celebrate masses.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by mrpataki(m): 2:40pm On Dec 06, 2006
edygirl:

Akowale,
Go tell it on the mountain, over the hills and everywhere.
I can't even remember the last time I bought a skirt. I only have two suit skirt all my clothes are pants and I go to church in them.And about the scarf thing I wear it only when I am cold. I believe my hair is enough to cover my scalp.

If you don't like it then go tell the priest to stop wearing a gown over their pants to celebrate masses.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
!@ edygirl,
The guy kinda looks like an ancient of days to me, even the Ancient of Days Himself knows what culture and diversity of language means at least he created it at the Tower of Babel.

@Akolawole,
which church do you attend sef?
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by Akolawole(m): 4:25pm On Dec 06, 2006
QUOTE FROM EDDYGIRL

Hello Madam,
You can wear anything jare. You can even wear pant in Winter, its nobody's problem.
The thread is clear enough.

Why now?
Why in church?
Is Bible discriminatory?
Is Bible wrong?
Am i mis-interpreting?

I was expecting reactions like, " I am wearing it because of bla bla bla. or Bible is wrong etc.
This has nothing to do with Akolawole.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by Aggressa(m): 5:17pm On Dec 06, 2006
ok, where do I start from? Let's see,,,,,,

@Akolawole, Gbade.x et al
Great question, I will try and post or direct you to few relevant passages in the Bible that will show that with regard to the issue of wearing trousers, uncovering the head by ladies and any other forms of decent dressing, christian ladies are not commiting any sin, the old testament is not wrong neither the new permitting sin.
Now, of what purpose is faith in God, going to church, reading the bible, and in fact being alive and believing, etc? Simple, all is toward achieving and sustaining SALVATION! Now the laws of the old testament you quoted in context of ladies dressing, either to church or wherever, as well as ALL the laws of moses, what is it's purpose? Is it to Save i.e. give and sustain salvation? NO! The laws were given after (infact, about 430 years after) God established the covenant of Justification by faith with Abraham (Gen 15 vs 6); with the sole purpose of the law being to 'reveal the hideous character of man's sin, convict of guilt of sin but NOT to Justify the believer (i.e declare righteous). In fact, the law was temporary, being in effect until the seed (Jesus) should come (Ref Galatians 3 vs 19; Gal. 4 vs 4). This is because Salvation is NOT by the law but by faith in Jesus Christ-the Messiah. Deutronomy 27vs26 says: "Cursed is everyone that continueth not in ALL THINGS which are written in the Book of the law to do them." But in Habakuk 2 vs 4 (also in old testament) God declared that "The JUST SHALL LIVE by FAITH." (i.e the Justified -righteousness or salvation - shall be by the grace of God that comes through FAITH only, not of works or law) and also Galatians 3 vs 11a also says "But NO MAN is JUSTIFIED by the LAW in the sight of GOD".
The purpose of the law, by awakening and revealing sin, is to lead man to Jesus Christ whose sacrifice on the Cross alone could deal with and remove the guilt of sin i.e make us righteous. Therefore Jesus Christ has liberated us from the Judaistic legalism of the law by Grace. The purpose of being freed from the law is that the Christian might live for God's sake, obeying, serving, trusting and glorifying Him only. In other words, we are not saved by what we wear or do not wear according to the law but who lives in us. Note, this is not a permission for unrestrained liberty toward immoral dressing, but that a christian lady can wear trousers, leave head uncovered in church if she so wishes, etc because we are now free from the obligations of the law through Jesus Christ. This is why we say true Liberty in Christianity is through Grace, it is liberty or liberation from the law but to live according to the principles and teachings of Christ.
Is this a permission to sin, dress immorally or indecently? NO! because a true Christian will be under inspiration or guidance of the spirit of God that lives inside him or her to avoid such things that could lead others to sin. But if you say a lot of ladies in churches dress indecently (depending on what is decent or not to you!); well, for those who are yet to be saved, where else can they receive the teachings that can lead them to salvation and then make them change? And for those who are already saved but still dress like that, where else could they receive the teachings that could increase their maturity and understanding on the principles or doctrine of grace of God? The Church!! So, rather than complain about dressings, pray for increase in understanding and edification of the body of christ. You can read the Galatians Chapters 2,3,4 for better understanding of the broad theme of Slavation, Faith, Law and works.
Peace.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by edygirl(f): 6:31pm On Dec 06, 2006
When next you want to quote me, please it's only one D. grin grin
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by Oracle(m): 8:26pm On Dec 06, 2006
The girls who do these things aren't kids, if they know what is right let them do it.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by edygirl(f): 9:52pm On Dec 06, 2006
Akolawole:

Hello Madam,
You can wear anything jare. You can even wear pant in Winter, its nobody's problem.
The thread is clear enough.

Why now?
Why in church?
Is Bible discriminatory?
Is Bible wrong?
Am i mis-interpreting?

I was expecting reactions like, " I am wearing it because of bla bla bla. or Bible is wrong etc.
This has nothing to do with Akolawole.

I hope you understand by "pants" I meant trouser.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by Oyebanji07(m): 9:18pm On Dec 07, 2006
Do you guys read this verses in Matthew at all?

Matthew 5:17-18
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have not come to abolish these things but to fulfill them. 5:18 I tell you the truth, 19 until heaven and earth pass away not the smallest letter or stroke of a letter will pass from the law until everything takes place.

Guys think about it. Its there in your Bible.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Anita Oyakhilome Rolls On The Floor As Her Husband Ministers (2004 Video) / Idol Worship In Today's World / How To Tell Your Parents You Are Becoming A Satanist.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.