Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,893 members, 7,817,627 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? (10489 Views)

Car Crashes As Driver Sleeps Off While Driving On Highway (Photos) / Explosion Of Gas Truck In Ogun State Yesterday (Photos) / Driving From Lagos To Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by Ndipe(m): 10:29am On Dec 17, 2006
Ok, it has never happened to me, before, but I have come very close to running out of gas. Once, while driving home I realized that I was running low on gas. It was in the evening and the nearest gas station, was miles away. I kept praying that I would make it to the gas station, and miraculously, I arrived at the gas station and filled my tank.

Earlier on when I lived in Nigeria, as a kid, my father's chauffeur was taking us back to Calabar, after spending the weekend in the village. Guess what? He ran out of gas on the highway, much to the anger of my father. He rushed to the gas station and came back with a container filled with petrol. I just brushed off the incident.

At another time, while going for a job interview that did not materialize, I had a flat tire. While I was pacing up and down the side of the freeway, trying to place a call to my insurance company /9-11 for assistance, another fellow pulled right behind me and told me that he had ran out of gas. His story was typical, finances played a major role, so in exchange for changing my tires, I offered him a ride to the gas station. Still, on my way to school again, I witnessed a scene where a man was filling his tank with gas, just off the freeway.

I inquired from my coworkers about their experience and two told me that they had in the past. Worse of it all is when you are flying. How can one be so sure that the plane they are flying in has a tank full of gas? Ethel Kennedy (widow of Robert Kennedy) lost her parents in a plane crash, because the plane had ran out of gas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethel_Skakel_Kennedy)

So your experiences please? How about those living in the USA? What would be your reaction if someone ran out gas here? Would you lay blame on them for failing to take advantage of the plethora of gas stations, in close promixity to one another in the spirit of capitalism, or would you chalk it up to the frailties of humans?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by mamaput(f): 7:39pm On Dec 17, 2006
only once i was even on my way to the gas station.
My luck the boynext door was passing on a bike so i begged him to get me a can of fuel.
i had my small emergence can in the car.
Normally i always check the tank.
If i travel Tank, oil and tieres

7 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by oyinsuzie(f): 9:04pm On Dec 17, 2006
nope
Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by Ndipe(m): 7:55pm On Sep 20, 2019
Was on my way to a party with a friend of mine back in 2014 when he told me he was running out of gas. The car choked and coughed and finally stopped. We had to push the car to the nearby gas station which was less than a mile away.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by aumeehn: 12:28pm On Nov 13, 2023
grin
Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by AntiIncognito: 9:14pm On Nov 14, 2023
I be commercial driver, we dey run am on a steady grin grin

When fuel was 500 naira per litre, 5k fuel will take me and my passenger to our destination.. now fuel is 650, we go still buy 5k fuel grin cheesy hoping that by one kind Miracle e go carry us reach..

We dey risk am.

75 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by Ethella: 2:33pm On Nov 15, 2023
Car owners over to you

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by Wealthoptulent(m): 2:34pm On Nov 15, 2023
Ndipe:
Ok, it has never happened to me, before, but I have come very close to running out of gas. Once, while driving home I realized that I was running low on gas. It was in the evening and the nearest gas station, was miles away. I kept praying that I would make it to the gas station, and miraculously, I arrived at the gas station and filled my tank.

Earlier on when I lived in Nigeria, as a kid, my father's chauffeur was taking us back to Calabar, after spending the weekend in the village. Guess what? He ran out of gas on the highway, much to the anger of my father. He rushed to the gas station and came back with a container filled with petrol. I just brushed off the incident.

At another time, while going for a job interview that did not materialize, I had a flat tire. While I was pacing up and down the side of the freeway, trying to place a call to my insurance company /9-11 for assistance, another fellow pulled right behind me and told me that he had ran out of gas. His story was typical, finances played a major role, so in exchange for changing my tires, I offered him a ride to the gas station. Still, on my way to school again, I witnessed a scene where a man was filling his tank with gas, just off the freeway.

I inquired from my coworkers about their experience and two told me that they had in the past. Worse of it all is when you are flying. How can one be so sure that the plane they are flying in has a tank full of gas? Ethel Kennedy (widow of Robert Kennedy) lost her parents in a plane crash, because the plane had ran out of gas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethel_Skakel_Kennedy)

So your experiences please? How about those living in the USA? What would be your reaction if someone ran out gas here? Would you lay blame on them for failing to take advantage of the plethora of gas stations, in close promixity to one another in the spirit of capitalism, or would you chalk it up to the frailties of humans?
U mean CNG? NO, but if na PETROL YES! which the Gases?
U dey NAIRALAND, u dey types GAS for my People, how there You?

Aaaaarghmed:
Never.i travelled a lot and I made sure I had fuel make dem no kidnap me
Bro, u never buy Fuel for Mobil ringroad or some pranking Station, make dem run u Street "Sell u Air" grin

DONSMITH123:

https://dailypost.ng/2023/11/15/nigerian-rapper-oladips-is-dead/
I wonder why young ones put a lot on their selves nowadays, or not the same EALRY, LATE 20 & EALRY 30S, we all used years back & nothing like Depression or battles was developed? Make una leave race for FORBES LIST, being ok is Good enuf

7 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by FuckingMachine: 2:34pm On Nov 15, 2023
The one I know is ran out of sperm while fucking.
Round 3 after pounding for like 30mins I actually came but not a single drop came out.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by Aaaaarghmed(m): 2:35pm On Nov 15, 2023
Never.i travelled a lot and I made sure I had fuel make dem no kidnap me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by U09ce: 2:35pm On Nov 15, 2023
Wow. 2006 thread hitting FP in 2023. Twale to the OP sha, man is still active to this day. Seun, you need to start rewarding NL veterans o.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by DanielsParker(m): 2:35pm On Nov 15, 2023
Yes o. But just only after the removal of fuel subsidy and usually on my way to the fuel station.
We can’t help but admit we still feel like we’re still getting same quantity of fuel at same price. Previously I could actively use 5k fuel for a week with AC on , I still feel like it’s same quantity I get whenever I buy 5k fuel but sadly it isn’t. ..

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by Oneaccord2023(m): 2:36pm On Nov 15, 2023
Never

Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by diamond68: 2:36pm On Nov 15, 2023
cheesy
Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by Hndrrxxx(m): 2:36pm On Nov 15, 2023
Ggggjj
Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by Erys(m): 2:37pm On Nov 15, 2023
Nope.
Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by inoki247: 2:37pm On Nov 15, 2023
Lol 2006 thread...

When Gas was still cheap like Pure water...

7 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by nymphomaniac(m): 2:37pm On Nov 15, 2023
This is why your fuel gauge and brain must be working

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by FamTomx2(m): 2:37pm On Nov 15, 2023
Op, be lyk u are postin frm Holland, 4 here we run out of fuel not gas .

NL don go hire a coal miner think say na mod dey employ, 2006 thread fah. 😎😎

5 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by hkidola00(m): 2:37pm On Nov 15, 2023
weyrey
FuckingMachine:
The one I know is ran out of sperm while fucking.
Round 3 after pounding for like 30mins I actually came but not a single drop came out.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by Badguy77(m): 2:38pm On Nov 15, 2023
an ajebo spoted..so you call 911 to tell them you have a flat tire? gas ko gas ni fuel don finish for motor tire thats why keg no dey comot from our car booth..

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by McLizbae: 2:38pm On Nov 15, 2023
Oh Yes! Only one hilarious time though, and that was when I picked my present car from the dealer after the deal was sealed.

With the Light on and the Guage completely down, I saw it quite clearly that there was no fuel in the newly acquired car. However, what I didn't believe was that the car won't even drive to the nearest filling station which (I am certain) was not up to 2km from the dealers outlet. Few meters after driving out of the dealer's shop and the car went mum on me. Within a moment alot run roughly through my mind. I called the dealer and he told me without hesitation that it must be fuel! Then somethings I saw at dealers flash through: one of the dealers boy use 4L keg to pour some fuel inside one of the big corolla cars in their garage just to drive it out. He also keep the remaining fuel beside him at the passenger side. That in case the car start jerking on him on the road, he will give a little bit fuel again.

I quickly beg for a keg around since I was very close to the filling station, bought some fuel and pour in the car. Na so car start again o!

Then I learn 2 things:
1. Dealers don't fuel cars. When I call the dealer again, he told me that's how it is done, that no dealer fuels a car displayed for sale at the dealership on one hand for economic reasons (them nor wan buy fuel for new car owner) and on another hand for security reasons (if by any means thief Wan steal car, he nor go go far before car go stop). This practice will how ever kill the fuel pump and the entire powertrain of a vehicle.

2. Due to no 1., check duty papers and go for the car that hasn't stay long with the dealer. There you may have a fuel pump that is still in good health grin

Fuel pump for big cars (esp 2010 upwards) dey very expensive too!

OlujobaSamuel:

Car lots generally do not permit you keeping fuel in the car, aside security or economic reasons, it's majorly for safety (fire hazard), it's easy to control any fire incident when there is no fuel added to such, so even if you drive down from the port or manufacturer with full tank, it will be drained out.
Though, I've heard of few that will give you a complimentary fuel of about 4ltrs to get you to a gas station. Getting stranded with a new car by the road side due to fuel isn't cool, make anxiety no go kill person

Naso baba, you make sense with that safety too... I sweat gan that day! I nor go ever allow that thing happen again! My advice is that if any body go buy car, carry you own at least 4L fuel wey you go pour inside the car before you even go filling station.

5 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by ATEAMS: 2:38pm On Nov 15, 2023
E dey happen
Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by christejames(m): 2:38pm On Nov 15, 2023
2006 thread? shockedshocked

One of the first threads on this forum...

Nairaland has depreciated though.

5 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by TemmyDayo50(m): 2:38pm On Nov 15, 2023
As I see the topic I first burst laugh grin...

Can't count the number of times my honda accord baby boy V6 stopped me on the road as far back 2016 during my service year... Omo mehn, funny times... It was my first personal car so e dey shack me well well then...

Naso me and my fellow broke NYSC goons go dey carry the car upandan dey do big boys with no shishi for pocket grin...

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by LOVEALAIGBO: 2:39pm On Nov 15, 2023
Probably worse than running out of gas while cooking!

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by JoeEeL(m): 2:39pm On Nov 15, 2023
Please who has any confirmed updates on the latest in Sepeteri, Oyo state?

2006 thread making front page. If fulani herdsmen don kill this OP since 2010 na, how we wan take know? We know NL is quite old but is that the reason you resurrected this prehistoric post?
Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by Whois(m): 2:39pm On Nov 15, 2023
That's why I have empty keg in the booth. Just in case of emergency
Re: Have You Ever Ran Out Of Gas While Driving? by officialfestus(m): 2:39pm On Nov 15, 2023
Since 2006, delay no be denial.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Honda Crv 2008/2009 Vs Toyota Highlander 2006/2007 Vs Camry Xle 2008/2009 / Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. / Modifications On Toyota Corolla 2010

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.