Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,244 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:55 AM

Is Anyone Brave Enough To Talk About Death? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Is Anyone Brave Enough To Talk About Death? (1290 Views)

Poll: Can you lie in a coffin for a good cause(alive of course)?

Yes: 40% (4 votes)
Never: 30% (3 votes)
It depends: 30% (3 votes)
This poll has ended

Some Disturbing Facts You Probably Don't Know About DEATH. / Guys Checkout These Brave And Cute Ladies. / Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Anyone Brave Enough To Talk About Death? by Gannzter(m): 12:52pm On Oct 06, 2009
The mortality rate in Nigeria is somewhere close to 45. What this means is that someone close to you would die before the age of 50 (all things being equal and staying the way they are). How come no one is then willing to talk about preparing for the final end. It is probably because of this lack of willingness to talk of the final end that Nigeria's public cemeteries are the way they are right now. In sad, morbid, decrepit states suitable not even for dead people.

If change is going to come, we need to start talking about the issue. Who is responsible for the way things are in our cemeteries?

A nonprofit organization has been set up to change the status quo, http://www.jcccmemorialparks.org is the website and there is a blog set up for discussing the issue of death and being buried.

NLANDERS, lend me your thoughts!!!
Re: Is Anyone Brave Enough To Talk About Death? by Gannzter(m): 1:50pm On Oct 06, 2009
Does anyone know anyone who has had a bad direct experience with a public or private cemetery? We need testimonies now, just post here and we a would contact you (send us an email at info@jcccmemorialparks.org) as soon as possible.
Re: Is Anyone Brave Enough To Talk About Death? by Shola2009(m): 1:51pm On Oct 06, 2009
We all gotta die someday, whether today or tomorow! why talk bout death??
Re: Is Anyone Brave Enough To Talk About Death? by dani1luv: 5:27pm On Oct 06, 2009
Abi oh!
Re: Is Anyone Brave Enough To Talk About Death? by sweetpie23: 5:59pm On Oct 06, 2009
Shola2009:

We all gotta die someday, whether today or tomorow! why talk bout death??
Re: Is Anyone Brave Enough To Talk About Death? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 8:25pm On Oct 06, 2009
The issue of death is one we try to avoid when we all know that we are not truly sure what happens after that. even the atheist choose their position because they are uncertain, better to stake on the odds of nothing happening that otherwise.
Re: Is Anyone Brave Enough To Talk About Death? by Gannzter(m): 8:36am On Oct 08, 2009
Please my people, we are eagerly seeking people who have had any direct bad experiences with Nigerian cemeteries in order to campaign for change. Please post here or email info@jcccmemorialparks.org
Re: Is Anyone Brave Enough To Talk About Death? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Oct 10, 2009
Go to mosque or church if u want to know more about death, but on a normal level,death is inevitable, simple.
Re: Is Anyone Brave Enough To Talk About Death? by Gannzter(m): 10:44am On Oct 11, 2009
How come all of you only have this sad little 1 liners because the subject is death. If it how to win US Visa lottery and beat the system now all of you go begin write epistles.

Say your true mind peeps. This is nairaland and no one would crucify or judge you.

P.s. Has anyone had an direct bad experience with public or private cemeteries?
Re: Is Anyone Brave Enough To Talk About Death? by edoyad(m): 1:29pm On Oct 11, 2009
I'm one of those who believe in letting the dead be. Honestly as painful as it is to lose someone, i don't think giving them an expensive burial shows how much we really care.

I like how Muslims just dig a hole and shove the corpse into it, any other thing is a waste of time to me. My elder brother was buried in a public cemetery and my mum kept bugging my brothers and i about why we didn't even bother to go and check on the state of his grave. Truth is, to me when you're gone, you're gone. You're not at the cemetery, your ghost is not there, your spirit is not there , all those things are crap.

I know of well doing people who never take interest on how their folks back home are faring, but the minute they die they want to buy gold coffins, sew uniforms, hire buses and catering services and what not. Thing is, if you had put half that amount into caring for those people in the first place they'd have lived longer and happier.

We like to romanticize the whole death thing like It's something that rarely happens but guess what ? Death is just like any other thing in life; eating , s**ting, drinking , sickness etc. It will come whether you like it or not. There's no big deal about the darn thing just make the most of your miserable life while you're here, cos you know what ?
LIFE SUCKS, THEN YOU die !
Re: Is Anyone Brave Enough To Talk About Death? by Gannzter(m): 9:15am On Oct 12, 2009
@Edoyad, thank you so much for your more than 1 line reply.

It is highly interesting, your stance on letting the dead be especially considering the empirical nature of your comments and observations. Yes, i do agree with you quite a bit. Yet, I know that almost like for living humans, the dead continue to live on if we keep their memories alive (or as we say in<a href=http://www.jcccmemorialparks.org>JCCC memorialize</a> the dead).

Keeping their memories alive is one thing, but think of another, is it not sad that like all of our other social amenities/utilities they fall into complete disarray? Should the living not be upset with graves being recycled, robbed or dirty? I think we can worry for the dead for the sake of the living.
Re: Is Anyone Brave Enough To Talk About Death? by angela992: 3:37pm On Aug 15, 2014
Death:The strongest instinct in both human beings and animals is the instinct of self-preservation or self-perpetuation. It is, in other words, the instinct to avoid death, the instinct to continue living. Yet, death is the surest thing that will happen to every human being.

http://www.scharticles.com/death-necessary-path-life-heideggerian-approach/

(1) (Reply)

You Need To See This! / Mr Cork Pics / Why Did You Leave Facebook?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.